• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • How Much Does it Cost to Build an iPad?


    We all know how much the iPad and its various models cost. But how much do the components that actually comprise the iPad really cost? According to the analysts at ISuppli, about $260.

    Since officially going on sale last weekend, everyone it seems has been deconstructing the iPad - and not just the guys at iFixit. In addition to jailbreakers, modders, and your run of the mill Apple fan boys, there is no shortage of individuals who want to know everything about the iPad from the inside and out. ISuppli's latest findings help to nicely satisfy that growing appetite.

    All told, the components that make up the $260 iPad include several chunks that largely account for the bulk of the tablet's cost of production. For example, the touch-screen display alone ($95) is responsible for more than one third of the entire materials cost of the low-end iPad. The neat little processor (brought to life by Apple and Samsung) chips in another $26.80 to the total package.

    Of course, if you're talking about a whopper of an iPad - the $699 64-gig model, for example - the cost of production spikes substantially, with Apple's materials cost settling in at $348.10, according to research from ISuppli.

    Shortly after the iPad was announced on January 27th, iSuppli analysts estimated that the cost of the device's components would run Apple about $220. That prognostication, however, was blithely unaware of the sophisticated innards of the tablet computer, which is packed with more silicon chips than previously anticipated.

    Naturally, representatives for Apple won't confirm or deny iSuppli's findings - but did anyone really expected otherwise?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How Much Does it Cost to Build an iPad? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
    1. RonHC's Avatar
      RonHC -
      wow that is so cheap
    1. cpjr's Avatar
      cpjr -
      You gotta keep in mind the prices Apple receives for buying thousands upon thousands of these parts in bulk.
    1. finalfantasy_lkta's Avatar
      finalfantasy_lkta -
      Wonder how much the upcoming iphone 4G cost
    1. Papskiess's Avatar
      Papskiess -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
      You gotta keep in mind the prices Apple receives for buying thousands upon thousands of these parts in bulk.
      i agree...and putting it all together!!

      Does anyone know when they are coming to australia and how much?? would love to get one!!!
      Edit Poseidon: Edited for readability
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      8 retarded posts deleted. Stay on topic!
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      You guys need to keep in mind the research and development that goes into these devices, advertising, and also cost to swap it
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      No surprise here, Apple's in the business to make money.
    1. waheedtarin's Avatar
      waheedtarin -
      How much profit they make about $100 cause of the people who work at apple there fees and so much more so that's not that much but still $700000x100=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that's just the begining lol this mf will be swimming in $100 bills alot of them with a big *** deepend
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      Seems fair enough, the mark-up is just around the 100%.
    1. Thijs_Elsman's Avatar
      Thijs_Elsman -
      260 dollar. What do I win?
    1. zozodouce's Avatar
      zozodouce -
      i dont care how nuch it cost to make one, why dont we all go and get all the parts and try to built it our selfs and see if it comes out this nice, oh please who cares? everyone is out to make monney. why should apple and steve not make any money off their hard work and amazing device. i dont care i'm happy with my device and next year they will get my money again and again hahahahahahaha.

      i beg all the Moderator here stop posting this king of news here, please this is more garbage that we dont need to here about apple or the way that they market and sell their amazing devices that they give us for realy nothing. i remenber in the early 80's when motorola would come out with one garbage phone every month and sell it for 1500 or more, no one cry about it so please stop crying about apple's prices . what we need to do is try do get back some of the money that motorola got from all of us ,for the garbage phones that they gave us hahahahahahas.
    1. reznor9's Avatar
      reznor9 -
      The cost to make to cost to purchase is moot. That's how business is run, it has to be so as to make a profit. If you want to complain about it then build one yourself. I mean this goes for ANYTHING. a music cd. Cost .10 to make and is charged $15. A pair of sneakers is probably $10 or less in material, but can run upwards of $70. Sure I wish it was cheaper. But is it unreasonable? Not at all. The iPhone cost about the same afaik.
    1. Imsorussian's Avatar
      Imsorussian -
      Making over 100% profit on each unit is a little too much but hey if I was Jobs id keep the same price. Maybe even more. But that the jewish blood in me speaking
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Don't forget the price it costs to pay the people who transport and build these, even if it is cheap labour
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      What a huge profit margin. good for Apple. They'd sell more if they lower the priced as it is just a bigger iPod Touch where hardly any extra development went into it.
    1. dale1v's Avatar
      dale1v -
      Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
      i dont care how nuch it cost to make one, why dont we all go and get all the parts and try to built it our selfs and see if it comes out this nice, oh please who cares? everyone is out to make monney. why should apple and steve not make any money off their hard work and amazing device. i dont care i'm happy with my device and next year they will get my money again and again hahahahahahaha.

      i beg all the Moderator here stop posting this king of news here, please this is more garbage that we dont need to here about apple or the way that they market and sell their amazing devices that they give us for realy nothing. i remenber in the early 80's when motorola would come out with one garbage phone every month and sell it for 1500 or more, no one cry about it so please stop crying about apple's prices . what we need to do is try do get back some of the money that motorola got from all of us ,for the garbage phones that they gave us hahahahahahas.
      I don't understand.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Even considering the research and development, assembly, shipping, and various other costs, I doubt it costs more than 50 bucks per unit to take care of those costs. Not to mention the more units that are produced/sell the less it effectively costs per unit.

      Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
      I don't understand.
      I am certain you understood, you just anted to poiny out a poorly written post.

      Paraphrased, he is saying that there should be a profit margin and there is one. Also, this is a crap "news" post (in his opinion).
    1. staterunner180's Avatar
      staterunner180 -
      Well for the high cost you have to factor in all the money Apple spends on advertising, manufacturing, buying out smaller companies and paying employees. So of course the iPad is going to cost more to buy then to make. They have to make a profit.
    1. zozodouce's Avatar
      zozodouce -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Even considering the research and development, assembly, shipping, and various other costs, I doubt it costs more than 50 bucks per unit to take care of those costs. Not to mention the more units that are produced/sell the less it effectively costs per unit.



      I am certain you understood, you just anted to poiny out a poorly written post.

      Paraphrased, he is saying that there should be a profit margin and there is one. Also, this is a crap "news" post (in his opinion).
      thank you my brother, you understood what i was trying to say. i was at work when i wrote it, and my boss was around i was trying to do it fast lol.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      to actually think that you should by all rights, get a piece of electronics at or slightly above cost. should really understand you know nothing about the economics of buisness. i still feel the iPAd is reasonably priced