• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • South Korean Court Bans Both Apple and Samsung Products


    A South Korean court ruled today that Apple and Samsung infringed on each other’s patents and has banned the companies from selling the infringing devices in the country.

    The three judge panel ruled that Apple violated two of Samsung’s wireless technology patents and Samsung violated a single Apple patent pertaining to bounce-back technology. Also, The judges ruled that there was “no possibility” that consumers would confuse the devices from the companies and rejected Apple’s design infringement claims.

    While the judges did acknowledge a number of similarities in between Apple’s products and Samsung's, they argued the fact that the companies, you know, stamp their logos and branding all over the devices prevents consumer confusion.

    "Given that it's very limited to make big design changes in touch-screen based mobile products in general...and the defendant [Samsung] differentiated its products with three buttons in the front and adopted different designs in camera and [on the] side, the two products have a different look.” — Seoul Court
    Outside of the “ban” the court ruled Apple must pay Samsung an insultingly low $17,650 in damages for each patent violated. Samsung on the other hand must pay Apple $22,00 for the single patent the company violated.

    Expect both companies to appeal the decisions and if need be eventually take the case to the South Korean Supreme Court.

    Source: Reuters [via CNET]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: South Korean Court Bans Both Apple and Samsung Products started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. RyoSaeba's Avatar
      RyoSaeba -
      Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
      I see this a bigger loss for samsung than apple! As you say it's their home market and a loyal market at that!
      Don't forget that it is highly likely Apple will be (or already have) looking for other companies to supply parts for their devices. Those are huge contracts. Samsung made more money selling parts to Apple then them selling their own phones. Even if Samsung wins, they still lose.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
      Um, South Korea is a big market. Twice as many cell phones in use as Canada. Very technology forward. Not to mention Samsung's home country.
      Not as big a market for apple whose focusing on China.
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      And why are you happy about that?
      He's probably paid by Samsung to spam this thread with useless comments.

      On a side note, this is like pocket change for the two companies.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      He's probably paid by Samsung to spam this thread with useless comments.

      On a side note, this is like pocket change for the two companies.
      Seems like we have lots of trolls in the news threads nowadays...
    1. iPhonePutz's Avatar
      iPhonePutz -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      HAHAHAHAHA
      This is a great outcome. Pity the fines are so low. But in the end Apple pay Samsung more. Apple lose! About time we have a good ending story
      Sorry to disappoint you once again, but Samsung is paying $22,000 and Apple is paying $17,650 (read the source article). According to your logic, Samsung loses. In my mind, everyone loses.

      In all seriousness, being that this is Samsung's home turf, this has got to be a major blow to them. Samsung must have really screwed up to get banned in their own country. The good news is that they can still sell washing machines.
    1. iPhonePutz's Avatar
      iPhonePutz -
      Actually, I can't read. Apple is paying that amount for each infraction. My bad!

      Sorry Samsung, US courts weren't nearly as nice to you. Big win for Apple.
    1. Dkaniel's Avatar
      Dkaniel -
      Does anyone know if an iPod Touch 5G will come out this year?
    1. DarkoNova's Avatar
      DarkoNova -
      Yeah, I like this simple outcome.

      Now with this and the end of the "big one" here in the US, hopefully Apple and Samsung can get back to what they do best: making cool stuff.
    1. MountainCubX's Avatar
      MountainCubX -
      the apple vs samsung issue is becoming a Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson break up - Sensational! lol
    1. crackertime's Avatar
      crackertime -
      I am curious about whether part of the reason there is more traction in the US is because there is a larger gap in technology adoption amongst those over 40-50, and if due to this the claims that it would be easy to confuse the devices seem more substantive? I am not sure how anyone under these ages could look at one of these products, and not have their first thought be, oh what product is this, let me look for tell tale signs to differentiate it. Apple logo, oh, iPad. And that is if we assume they don't know them by sight. It does seem like something someone my mother's age might be confused by though. They are both rectangles that show you photos and email. Well how am I supposed to know which is which, they are both rectangles. Does anyone know if there were similar lawsuits when cars came out? They both have four wheels etc, how can you tell the difference?