• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Picture Leaked Showing Possible Next-Gen iPhone Sync Cable


    We have seen tons of pictures of the supposed smaller iPhone dock connector on the bottom of the next generation iPhone’s new case design, however we have yet to see what the actual cable should look like. Feast your eyes; above is a picture of what is rumored to be the next generation iPhone’s sync cable that will come with every unit. Noticeable right off the bat is the smaller end that gets plugged into the iPhone with 8 pins.

    One observation about the cable pictured above is that it appears to be a bit longer than the current generation sync cable. This would allow for longer extensions from our iPhone to the charging location and offer a not-so-limited environment for charging the device. If this is the case, then Apple has made many dreams come true in the world of charging – in fact, many third party companies have made longer charging cables for iOS devices exactly for the reason of giving the user more play room.

    Apart from the obvious changes to the iPhone side, the USB end looks unchanged, meaning Apple still plans to use USB and not take advantage of Thunderbolt for faster syncing. With the introduction of the MacBook Pro with retina display at this year’s WWDC event, the computers came equipped with USB 3.0 technology – it is still unknown whether the sync cable for the next generation iPhone will be USB 3.0-ready, or if it will still run on the slower USB 2.0 technology. USB 3.0 would offer much faster sync speeds for iTunes content like music and applications.

    The next generation iPhone is expected to launch next month and with all the rumors and photographs showing the smaller connector as the new way to charge the device, the cable pictured above (or something very similar) is very likely what we will be getting. There is no way at this point in time to confirm or deny if this is the real cable, but time will tell.

    Sources: iLounge
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Pictures Leaked Showing Possible Next-Gen iPhone Sync Cable started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 22 Comments
    1. Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
      Mc-Lovin_341 -
      I do like this cable but I hope when the iPhone is docked it will be stable and not fragile because of how small the dock connecter has become.
    1. Breezy215's Avatar
      Breezy215 -
      It would be pimp if it were MagSafe...
    1. Micturition's Avatar
      Micturition -
      Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
      It would be pimp if it were MagSafe...
      That was mentioned as a possibility earlier. Agreed. I wonder how much money these "leakers" charge for the media to get there hands on some details of the next device
    1. buttamix's Avatar
      buttamix -
      Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
      nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
      bwahahahaha!!
    1. skodwarde's Avatar
      skodwarde -
      i hope all these leaks are slipped out just to put us all off, or are old parts because the new design and this connector change, it doesnt seem to fit the trend of Apple, unless theres some "seriously important" new feature these things bring. anyway my hope is that the new iphone is something totally new that we havent seen yet.
    1. stevelucky's Avatar
      stevelucky -
      Quote Originally Posted by skodwarde View Post
      i hope all these leaks are slipped out just to put us all off, or are old parts because the new design and this connector change, it doesnt seem to fit the trend of Apple, unless theres some "seriously important" new feature these things bring. anyway my hope is that the new iphone is something totally new that we havent seen yet.
      How does this not fit in with Apples M.O.? Apple practically leads the tech industry when it comes to doing away with older technology (floppies, optical drives, etc...). At this point I would be blown away if this wasn't the new dock connector. The current design has had a pretty lengthy run. I don't need new features (though I'd take them) as much as I'd like a smaller connector. More room internally for more cool stuff. How could that be bad?
    1. MPS3's Avatar
      MPS3 -
      i hope it has thunderbolt
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
      i hope it has thunderbolt
      I was wanting the same thing ever since thunderbolt was introduced.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      I don't predict Apple introducing Thunderbolt as a means of transporting data between devices – desktop and mobile. Apple promotes Thunderbolt heavily as an external accessory connection such storage or display connections. If they were to release a cable to sync the iPhone over Thunderbolt, this would require anyone with external displays or storage to unhook these devices, which are generally considered dependent and permanent accessories in a desktop environment. It's not something someone will want to always unhook and re-hook, as storage units generally hold important information the user needs to get to and displays are important for the user that chooses to buy them for whatever purpose they bought it for.

      Apple doesn't push these devices through USB and the boost to USB 3.0 gives Apple enough of an excuse to say it is faster than before.
    1. trialnterror's Avatar
      trialnterror -
      I hate trying to find which side is which in the dark and same with micro USB not to mention the micro USB has given everyone I know problems! This smaller plug for starters is a blade type either side will work and it's got to be way more rugged, just one question? How long before Samsung copy's it?
    1. skodwarde's Avatar
      skodwarde -
      Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
      How does this not fit in with Apples M.O.? Apple practically leads the tech industry when it comes to doing away with older technology (floppies, optical drives, etc...). At this point I would be blown away if this wasn't the new dock connector. The current design has had a pretty lengthy run. I don't need new features (though I'd take them) as much as I'd like a smaller connector. More room internally for more cool stuff. How could that be bad?
      maybe you misinterpreted my comment. i think change is a good thing yes. The 4/4S design is stale now and a change is welcome, just not THIS change, meaning the taller-only iphone designs and that back cover irregularity. it seems out of proportion, to me, in terms of elegance in the design of the product...but if Apple has reasons otherwise, then may i'll have to reconsider.

      and for me, "new features" pretty much makes or breaks it.
    1. kronusx12's Avatar
      kronusx12 -
      Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
      I hate trying to find which side is which in the dark and same with micro USB not to mention the micro USB has given everyone I know problems! This smaller plug for starters is a blade type either side will work and it's got to be way more rugged, just one question? How long before Samsung copy's it?
      Before Samsung copies it? That's strange you say that, because I was just thinking that it looks exactly like a white version of the sync cable that game with my Galaxy Nexus. I really can't wait to see what happens in this trial just so people shut their mouths about things they don't now about.
    1. trialnterror's Avatar
      trialnterror -
      Quote Originally Posted by kronusx12 View Post
      Before Samsung copies it? That's strange you say that, because I was just thinking that it looks exactly like a white version of the sync cable that game with my Galaxy Nexus. I really can't wait to see what happens in this trial just so people shut their mouths about things they don't now about.
      When you actually know what you're talking about write something!
    1. Awdad724's Avatar
      Awdad724 -
      Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
      When you actually know what you're talking about write something!

      +1
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
      i hope it has thunderbolt
      The speed of Flash Storage in the iPhone simply isn't/won't be fast enough for Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 to make any difference. Even USB 2.0 is over kill for it
    1. Dranon's Avatar
      Dranon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      I don't predict Apple introducing Thunderbolt as a means of transporting data between devices – desktop and mobile. Apple promotes Thunderbolt heavily as an external accessory connection such storage or display connections. If they were to release a cable to sync the iPhone over Thunderbolt, this would require anyone with external displays or storage to unhook these devices, which are generally considered dependent and permanent accessories in a desktop environment. It's not something someone will want to always unhook and re-hook, as storage units generally hold important information the user needs to get to and displays are important for the user that chooses to buy them for whatever purpose they bought it for.

      Apple doesn't push these devices through USB and the boost to USB 3.0 gives Apple enough of an excuse to say it is faster than before.
      Anthony although I think you are correct about the cable being USB 3.0 I think you are wrong about the thunderbolt! Thunderbolt was DESIGNED to be daisy chained! You could just connect the Thunderbolt sync cable to the final accessory i.e. monitor or hard drive without having to disconnect anything!
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
      Anthony although I think you are correct about the cable being USB 3.0 I think you are wrong about the thunderbolt! Thunderbolt was DESIGNED to be daisy chained! You could just connect the Thunderbolt sync cable to the final accessory i.e. monitor or hard drive without having to disconnect anything!
      We shall see. Although I'll bet on the cable still being USB.
    1. iPittsburgh's Avatar
      iPittsburgh -
      Well I guess I can unload all the soon to be out of date connectors I have.
    1. eddied316's Avatar
      eddied316 -
      I have heard about this cable. I think it's good because pretty much everyone else is using MicroUSB, as apposed to Apple who still has their big bulky cable.

      On the other hand. we all have like 50 of those cables laying around, and I personally would hate to buy new ones.