• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Tinkering with Second Display iPad Smart Cover


    On Thursday, a new filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office revealed the design for a Smart Cover that could extend the iPad display experience to two screens.

    Our friends at Apple Insider were first to discover the filing, which indicates that a secondary touchscreen display would be offered by the envisioned cover. Potentially, the second screen could be used as a "full-fledged touch keyboard."

    Here's how Apple describes the design in an abstract summary:

    A tablet device with a flexible cover is disclosed. Thin flexible display technology can be integrated into the flexible cover without affecting the overall form factor of the cover or tablet device. Adding the integrated display to the flexible cover greatly enhances the overall functionality of the tablet device.
    Although there are no shortage of possibilities inherent with a second iPad display, this concept may exit the drawing board phase and go right into production this fall as Apple is widely rumored to want to upstage Microsoft's similar "Touch Cover" keyboard for the soon-to-launch Windows 8 Surface tablets.

    Source: Apple Insider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Tinkering with Second Display iPad Smart Cover started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
    1. Airwaves182's Avatar
      Airwaves182 -
      Uhhh is that really necessary?! Especially with apple prices it'll cost an arm and a leg (if they do make it) a keyboard is better like the Microsoft surface tablet.
    1. ccoltmanm's Avatar
      ccoltmanm -
      Would Microsoft not have patented something like this?
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      A flexible cover that can be used as a touch screen keyboard. Sounds kind of like Samsung's flexible display tech. Is Apple going to claim they invented that too? If I were Samsung, I'd tell Apple to F off if they try to use the flex screens.
    1. tongxinshe's Avatar
      tongxinshe -
      So, who came up this idea first? Apple or Microsoft? I would guess Microsoft filed a similar patent request around the same time as Apple. What happens if that's the case, it'll be granted to whom filed the request first, or shared by both?
    1. Lohand's Avatar
      Lohand -
      I have a duel screen Acer that does this now!! Watch the sycophants at the USPTO suckle Apple hard and grant them the patent. AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHAT IS BROKEN HERE (i.e. Apple getting "favorable treatment" from the USPTO). And who reviews patents any way? What skill set is required to perform this function? Being in love with Apple should certainly not be a prerequisite to perform this job function. Sayin...
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
      A flexible cover that can be used as a touch screen keyboard. Sounds kind of like Samsung's flexible display tech. Is Apple going to claim they invented that too? If I were Samsung, I'd tell Apple to F off if they try to use the flex screens.
      If they have it in the patent market anyone can do whatever they want. But it depends on who gets patented first and if they want anyone can take it to court to make it final.
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      Oh I suppose Apple made this first too right? Hahaha kills me how people show so much favoritism cuz Windows did do this first but those of you blinded by apple will say apple did it first right ? Lol
    1. izzy1990's Avatar
      izzy1990 -
      I'm guessing apple will hold on to this patent and wait to see if the keyboard on the surface is popular or not let windows take the risk and this patent is different than the surface and its not a question about first its a question about better and apple almost always makes better and if not then the jb community does gotta love those idevices
    1. Glocknine's Avatar
      Glocknine -
      Apple Invented EVERYTHING period. If rivals made better than what apple have.... They will meet inside a courtroom
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
      I have a duel screen Acer that does this now!! Watch the sycophants at the USPTO suckle Apple hard and grant them the patent. AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHAT IS BROKEN HERE (i.e. Apple getting "favorable treatment" from the USPTO). And who reviews patents any way? What skill set is required to perform this function? Being in love with Apple should certainly not be a prerequisite to perform this job function. Sayin...
      You sir, are a oddly angry, weird, and most of all, stupid person. Using a big word like sycophants does not change that fact. Your saying they award Apple with patents in order to benifit themselves. But then you say they are awarding Apple patents because the employees are "in love with Apple"...So, which is it?? Get real weirdo.
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      You sir, are a oddly angry, weird, and most of all, stupid person. Using a big word like sycophants does not change that fact. Your saying they award Apple with patents in order to benifit themselves. But then you say they are awarding Apple patents because the employees are "in love with Apple"...So, which is it?? Get real weirdo.
      You both are funny. Why would you argue over a Essany post? He doesn't contribute anything to the community worth reading, or that is accurate.
    1. izzy1990's Avatar
      izzy1990 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
      You both are funny. Why would you argue over a Essany post? He doesn't contribute anything to the community worth reading, or that is accurate.
      And yet you scroll all the way down reading the article and comments and take time to put in a useless reply if you dont like the writer dont click the post tank you
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by izzy1990 View Post
      And yet you scroll all the way down reading the article and comments and take time to put in a useless reply if you dont like the writer dont click the post tank you
      Haha….. my reply isn't any more useless than the Article, the people fighting about the article, or your post.
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by ccoltmanm View Post
      Would Microsoft not have patented something like this?
      I'm sure they patented the keyboard, but that's a keyboard, there talking about a second screen all together, sort of like a large scale nintendo DS
    1. DampDesigns's Avatar
      DampDesigns -
      I'm just looking forward to the Surface.
    1. Slim J's Avatar
      Slim J -
      It's a Nintendo DS, except way less piratical
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
      I'm just looking forward to the Surface.
      Me too. I wish it was already out. I'm buying a tablet tomorrow and am going with the iPad 3 64gb wifi model.
    1. Lohand's Avatar
      Lohand -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      You sir, are a oddly angry, weird, and most of all, stupid person. Using a big word like sycophants does not change that fact - what fact?. Your saying they award Apple with patents in order to benifit themselves - No, didn't say or imply that. Therefore No -But then- you say they are awarding Apple patents because the employees are "in love with Apple"...So, which is it?? - Has always been the latter. Get real weirdo.
      That's right look at it. If it were an Apple product first then Acer tried to patent the above item Apple would FLIP OUT! Again no "but then" because to an in love USPTO Apple groupie, granting Apple patents for things like "rectangles with rounded edges" is reward enough! A shape that has been around since the dawn of time shouldn't be granted to anyone! Oh, and you're Mom is oddly angry, weird and stupid, after all she had you right? Yea I said it!
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
      That's right look at it. If it were an Apple product first then Acer tried to patent the above item Apple would FLIP OUT! Again no "but then" because to an in love USPTO Apple groupie, granting Apple patents for things like "rectangles with rounded edges" is reward enough! A shape that has been around since the dawn of time shouldn't be granted to anyone! Oh, and you're Mom is oddly angry, weird and stupid, after all she had you right? Yea I said it!
      Damn! Burn! Lol
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Yes the cost would kill us all haha! I mean i bought a red leather cover for my iPad2 way backa and it was $70. This genius cover would run us about $150 at least. Unless they don't use retina..hmm?