• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • P0sixninja Leaves Chronic Dev Team



    Joshua Hill, aka @p0sixninja, announced his departure from the Chronic Dev Team earlier today with little explanation, and an offer to sell his iPhone 4 and the iBoot 0day exploit for $50.

    Hill posted a number of tweets earlier today before leaving Las Vegas and the Defcon conference asking if “Anyone in Vegas” wanted to buy and iPhone 4 for cheap, and that he’d throw in the iBoot 0day exploit for free. Who Hill sold the phone and exploit to is still unclear, but security expert Paul Pols tweeted later that the iBoot 0day exploit could have been used to jailbreak iOS 6.0 across numerous iDevices including the next iPhone and 3rd gen Apple TV.



    However, the iBoot 0day appears to be a simple exploit easily patched by Apple via a firmware update. Still, what went down today becomes even less clear when @buzzert, whose real name is James Magahern an Apple employee, enters the picture (or ex Apple as his Linkedin profile removed the Apple listing after iH8sn0w brought the job to light). Apparently Hill reached a deal with Magahern and handed the exploit and phone over to an Apple programmer instead of handing it over to a member of the Chronic Dev team, or another member of the jailbreak community.



    No one is currently commenting on the situation, and we will provide more news if and when details about Hill’s exit from the Chronic Dev Team emerge.

    Thanks to the many of you who submitted tips regarding p0sixninja's departure.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: P0sixninja Leaves Chronic Dev Team started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 54 Comments
    1. back9player's Avatar
      back9player -
      jailbreaking was the only thing that made them "famous" or matter in this community. not acting like children. if you aren't jailbreak, then there's the front door.

      everybody loses when these people bicker and point fingers... how lame!
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      Also, no jb for iOS 6 will mean no more iPhones period. Back to the phones that aren't "smart".
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      Also, no jb for iOS 6 will mean no more iPhones period. Back to the phones that aren't "smart".
      There will be a jailbreak. Just because one guy left doesnt mean the end of the world for us.
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Yeah I find it very strange that little dramatic pieces if information were broadcasted throughout social networking. I'm not sure what to make of this. Why exactly would he sell his phone with an exploit for iOS 6? To me it just seems like he would do it to say F U to CDT. Maybe they had an ugly falling out and Josh got stupid and childish. Or maybe it's a bs to see what happens (prob not). It just doesn't make sense to me.

      And there are way to many brilliant minds in the jb community to say no more jb's will ever happen. That's just being simple. The ONLY way I can see jb's ever stopping is if Apple comes up with a way to block jb's completely or they PURCHASE a law to send people to prison for doing it (sarcastic). To many brilliant minds at work for jb's not to happen.
    1. Gervs's Avatar
      Gervs -
      I know I may be approaching the edges of the realms of reality, or perhaps I've gone past them but could the iPhone and exploit be a Trojan horse/poison pill for apple, to keep their efforts at countering the next jailbreak moving in the wrong direction? Or perhaps he did get a job at apple and wanted to give the exploit to a third party so it was out there (somewhere), hence the cheap price, but didn't want to leave it with the chronic dev team as relations may have become strained (reason for his departure). Both of the above seem unlikely but not totally impossible.

      Let's face it; in a capitalist society any entity with (appox.) $100 billion, that's $100,000,000,000 cash-pile (spare) has more capacity to buy souls than Satan himself/herself. So the various dev teams and lone devs working on jailbreaks and other iOS security related projects all around the world need to be very paranoid indeed.

      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      Also, no jb for iOS 6 will mean no more iPhones period. Back to the phones that aren't "smart".
      There are alternate "smart" phones.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      That's the other thing people think: An iPhone is not an iPhone without a jailbreak. I disagree with it. The iPhone is awesome, jailbroken or not. Jailbreak is just for extra awesome stuff that Apple hates, an iPhone is still awesome no matter what.
    1. Gervs's Avatar
      Gervs -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      That's the other thing people think: An iPhone is not an iPhone without a jailbreak. I disagree with it. The iPhone is awesome, jailbroken or not. Jailbreak is just for extra awesome stuff that Apple hates, an iPhone is still awesome no matter what.
      I agree with that, but other smart phone OS' are catching the non-jailbroken iOS fast, jailbroken iOS transcends every other OS out there right now (only time will tell if Windows Mobile 8 will bring anything new to the table or be recycled ideas in a shiny new box). Also the number of people planning to buy the next iPhone/iPad/itouch would also drop if it was a fact that there would be no jailbreaks for them, EVER, maybe the drop would be slight, as most people are just sheep. I mean; I, myself, only bought an iPad 3 because I knew, before buying, sooner or later a jailbreak would be released (according to websites such as this one). And was doing "jailbreak ipad 3 ios 5.1 release" google searches every other day (if not everyday) from the day I got it to the day the jailbreak dropped. On the other hand I'm putting off buying ATV 3 as jailbreak is far from certain.
      IMO the developers of jailbreaks, cydia, cydia apps, jb tweaks and even themes do Apple a great service for very little pay (not from Apple themselves) if any at all. Because without them iOS will not have continued to be an "unstoppable force of nature" that it is. It's like we (the jailbreak community) get to have our cake and eat it too.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      That's true. Apple is stubborn though, it's a known fact. Theming is the one thing Apple needs to unrestrict though, I know Apple wouldn't add anything else as I can understand why, but theming is where Apple fails. The device cannot be customized to ones liking without a jailbreak sadly, which explains why millions of people are jailbroken around the world.
    1. s0ulp1xel's Avatar
      s0ulp1xel -
      I would gladly pay $50 for a jailbreak for my 4s, as long as free updates would be available for the users that already bought it.
    1. soidroidios's Avatar
      soidroidios -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      That's true. Apple is stubborn though, it's a known fact. Theming is the one thing Apple needs to unrestrict though, I know Apple wouldn't add anything else as I can understand why, but theming is where Apple fails. The device cannot be customized to ones liking without a jailbreak sadly, which explains why millions of people are jailbroken around the world.
      Hopefully, iOS 15 will be able to do that for us. Seriously, Apple is just slowly bringing in the good stuff now. a few add ons and viola! a new iOS.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      Sad, but I feel confident that the Dev-team will survive this and move forward.
      Don't forget,

      Chr0nic Dev Team
      and iPhone Dev Team are two different groups.
      Not the same people.
      They do (some of) the same stuff, but shouldn't be confused. They don't (necessarily) even like eachother.

      C-Dev:

      posixninja
      chronic
      pod2g
      ius

      Dev-Team:

      comex
      Jason Bourne
      MuscleNerd
      planetbeing
      saurik
    1. brodimus's Avatar
      brodimus -
      Quote Originally Posted by soidroidios View Post
      Hopefully, iOS 15 will be able to do that for us. Seriously, Apple is just slowly bringing in the good stuff now. a few add ons and viola! a new iOS.
      "We're introducing 200 new features in iOS 15 but the first one we're really excited about is...custom default browsers. You'll now to be able to choose which browser iOS opens links in."

      *applause*
    1. soidroidios's Avatar
      soidroidios -
      Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
      "We're introducing 200 new features in iOS 15 but the first one we're really excited about is...custom default browsers. You'll now to be able to choose which browser iOS opens links in."

      *applause*
      Then they will tell the world how they did it first. ^_^
      Gotta love Apple marketing.
      Great products, ****** morals.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Can't wait to have iOS 6 jailbroken
      Thanks for the info guys!