• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • IDC: Samsung Manages to Ship Twice as many Phones as Apple in Q2 2012


    According to IDCís latest research, smartphones are shipping faster than they have been in previous years. A statement, which we probably could of guessed ourselves considering we see more and more people with smartphones nowadays. Roughly 406 million units were shipped in Q2 2012, up from 401.8 million units in Q2 2011. The shipments for smartphones also ended up eyeing a large year-over-year increase with a 42% gain. All in all, the industry seems to be booming.

    With that in mind when talking about smartphones the two tech giants, Apple and Samsung, come to mind. Both of them ended up doubling their combined market share in just two years. Here, Samsung in particular hit a new quarterly record after shipping 50 million phones in Q2. Apple ended up shipping half as many iPhones during the same time. The Cupertino California company did suffer a quarter-over-quarter decline just six months after its latest iPhone unveiling, but many are attributing that to consumers holding out for the next-generation iPhone, which is rumored to be an overhaul (something the iPhone 4S was not).

    It isnít necessarily a surprise to see more Android phones in the market though considering they come in all shapes, sizes, and price points. Appleís iPhone on the other hand has been quite consistent over the past few years and just recently started to adopt the multi-price point strategy, keeping budget consumers in mind. With older models now going for cheaper, Apple is targeting the low-end market, which is something they havenít done before.

    With the next-generation iPhone coming up in the next few months and anticipation for it through the roof, Apple may see a record-breaking surge in sales once again. The next-generation iPhone along with the legal battle between Apple and Samsung are surely to play a big role in how the industry will be going forward. Weíll have to wait and be patient to see what happens.

    Source: IDC
    This article was originally published in forum thread: IDC: Samsung Manages to Ship Twice as many Phones as Apple in Q2 2012 started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 19 Comments
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Was this written in the middle of the night with a hangover coming on?
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Six colors and the key defines five of them.
    1. fadadman's Avatar
      fadadman -
      ill have my people talk to the people in green. they seem to be "leading" the way. Think ill make an investment.
    1. BhadKarma's Avatar
      BhadKarma -
      Welcome to apple having 3-4 phones compared to
      Samsung that dried out the market with like 30phones ...lol no duh they shipped more... They make plastic, sold
      For a Pennie phones. And 10designs of each. Lol
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Is everyone forgetting, that not only Apple's phones are old, but a new iPhone is going to come out later this year? Why are some people surprised that Samsung sold more? And obviously, Samsung has tons of phones in comparison to 3-4. (Only 2 if you counted iPhone 4/4s which actually sell now.)
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      it should read "apple manages to douche it up and keep samsung from selling half those phones"
    1. BhadKarma's Avatar
      BhadKarma -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Is everyone forgetting, that not only Apple's phones are old, but a new iPhone is going to come out later this year? Why are some people surprised that Samsung sold more? And obviously, Samsung has tons of phones in comparison to 3-4. (Only 2 if you counted iPhone 4/4s which actually sell now.)
      20 Samsung phones to 2-3 iPhones lol. And they think they've accomplished aomething
    1. ohthatguyagain's Avatar
      ohthatguyagain -
      Based on this trend, the market is stable and on track. However, Apply must release iPhone 5 by Q42012 or face a declining trend.
    1. thatboy12345's Avatar
      thatboy12345 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
      Based on this trend, the market is stable and on track. However, Apply must release iPhone 5 by Q42012 or face a declining trend.
      Trust me they will release it
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
      Welcome to apple having 3-4 phones compared to
      Samsung that dried out the market with like 30phones ...lol no duh they shipped more... They make plastic, sold
      For a Pennie phones. And 10designs of each. Lol
      iDiot
    1. oddphone20's Avatar
      oddphone20 -
      Since when is it a bad thing for one company to offer a lot of choices? When is it good for a company to offer so few?
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
      20 Samsung phones to 2-3 iPhones lol. And they think they've accomplished aomething
      They have, they've become the number one handset manufacturer in the world. and people prefer their phone over the iPhone by 2 to 1.
    1. ByteArt's Avatar
      ByteArt -
      they have been #1 before, so big deal, and since apple only sells 2-3 phones, people prefer iPhones to samsung phones 10 to 1, because any one apple phone on average will sell 10x any samsung phone. If apple released 20 iPhones a year then we can talk......
    1. Glocknine's Avatar
      Glocknine -
      To all the apple fanboys here there is nothing to enrage about what these rival companies do, we as the consumers are the clear winner. I own both devices from apple and samsung each device have their strenght and weakness. Fanboys just need to growup and act like adults.
    1. hank197857's Avatar
      hank197857 -
      if i owned stock in either company, i would care.
    1. Jacobh4's Avatar
      Jacobh4 -
      Quote Originally Posted by oddphone20 View Post
      Since when is it a bad thing for one company to offer a lot of choices? When is it good for a company to offer so few?
      Sometimes offering few IS better, but sometimes offering more is better. Keeping only a few is good because if a bunch of phone have many different features, then a person would have to buy all the phones to get all the features. Then you have one phone that has the features from ALL the phones then that person would rather buy the one that has it all because they wont have to use many different phones. I'm not saying Samsung does that, but some companies do that. Also, it can be a good thing to have many things to offer do you can have a cheap thing and an expensive thing. If I was confusing, just say you're confused and I'll try to say it clearer.
    1. thomaspeter's Avatar
      thomaspeter -
      The consistency of the Apple is what is actually bothering the rest of the companies. Any company can have a spike and then can come back down to its original reality, but staying consistent is what actually matters and that is what works at the industrial level. If Samsung can continue this pace for another quarter or so, then of course the Apple is in some serious trouble!
    1. Glocknine's Avatar
      Glocknine -
      Quote Originally Posted by thomaspeter View Post
      The consistency of the Apple is what is actually bothering the rest of the companies. Any company can have a spike and then can come back down to its original reality, but staying consistent is what actually matters and that is what works at the industrial level. If Samsung can continue this pace for another quarter or so, then of course the Apple is in some serious trouble!
      That's why apple is trying to prevent the sales of samsung products because they are aware of this fact.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Most Android models offer the same specs from my experience. You can buy a last years Android and put the new firmware on it to make it new. With iPhones, if you want the better specs you have to upgrade hardware. Not a bad model..it just IS. Apple only makes one iPhone that matters and that is always the latest one. So in essence there is only one real model available at any given time. Whereas Android has too many to count and consumers to love choices(I know i do) With the prepay iPhones coming and the new iPhone coming maybe Apple will do better in the next quarter..we shall see.