• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Surveys: 100% Don't Know What iPad's For


    Steve Jobs notably introduced the iPad as an entirely new class of device: "something in the middle" between a laptop and a smartphone. It's a smart approach, because it potentially appeals to anyone who would get either an iPod or a MacBook: pretty much everybody. But the pitch has left users without a clear idea about what the device would be good for and why they would want one. A couple of new surveys released today highlight the confusion, with potential users saying different things about what they'd be most likely to use an iPad to do.

    Sybase made its bones developing relational database management software in the 80s and 90s, notably licensing its database engine as the SQL Server on OS/2. After the tech bubble burst, Sybase reorganized its business to focus on what it calls the "unwired enterprise:" bringing access to corporate databases to mobile clients. As a part of this business, it periodically commissions surveys to see what direction the industry is moving in. Sybase hired Zogby to poll over two thousand people, about a quarter of whom currently use smartphones. According to the survey, 52.3% of the smartphone users said they'd most likely to use a new tablet device like the iPad to do work, while 48.2% said they'd watch movies and TV shows, and 35.4% would play games.

    In a separate survey, the market research firm comScore also asked about two thousand people what they thought they'd use an iPad for. Nearly half said they'd use it for browsing the Internet and email (50% and 48% respectively), and more than a third said they would use it for listening to music (38%). As far as e-reading goes, 375 of respondents said they'd be “likely” or “very likely” to use it to read books and magazines, but about the same (28%) said they'd be “unlikely” or “very unlikely” to do that. Interestingly, current iPhone/iPod owners (grouped together in the survey as "iOwners") overwhelmingly seemed to like the idea of newspapers and magazines formatted specifically for the iPad, with a full 52% of respondents said they’d pay for newspaper and magazine digital subscriptions. Other responses included maintaining an address book/contact list (37 percent), watching videos/movies (36 percent), storing and viewing photos (35 percent) and reading newspapers and magazines (34 percent).

    When a new technology comes on the market, it's always a mystery what the ultimate use will be. One of the first home computers ever made, the $7,000 Honeywell Kitchen Computer, touted its abilities to maintain a database of recipes. The killer app for the iPad may not have even have been been invented yet.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Surveys: 100% Don't Know What iPad's For started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 58 Comments
    1. spazturtle's Avatar
      spazturtle -
      I watch tv shows and movies on my iTouch daily it's not too small, but i see the point of the ipad, my iTouch is to small to browse the internet and read books on, also I would like to watch movies on sometimes a little bigger sometimes.
    1. Amadomon's Avatar
      Amadomon -
      Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
      I would use it as a photo frame something classy like that
      roflmao

      Checking email, browsing the web...you guys are getting punk'd. I'm with all the others who can't find a use for this device. I already have a computer that fits in my pocket (i.e., an iPhone), and very small laptop for anything else. I actually find myself preferring to surf on my phone for casual reading. Having said that, for NON-iPhone users, perhaps the iPad has merit. I have heard non-users say that they couldn't imagine reading text on a screen as small as the iPhone's. To each his own, I guess. I still feel that this product will be a FAIL.
    1. redcard's Avatar
      redcard -
      Quote Originally Posted by bagek View Post
      I'd sell it since I have no use for it. My iPhone does everything iPad does. Its more like a giant PDA iPad=iPda
      You sound really ignorant. You don't know what the Ipad does. Come back in a few weeks, eh?

      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      Wow, omg you found the caps lock button. Your point is stupid because I can't do nothing on my iPhone except that I can surf the web, play games, text, make a call, listen to the music

      And I also want to hold a giant iPod to my head!
      If you're going to complain about his caps then you should first sort out your HORRIBLE BOLD RED text, as it makes you look like mommy doesn't give you enough attention
    1. jimmydee's Avatar
      jimmydee -
      Heres my opinion. I have a iphone, laptop, netbook, and PC. If I can't do it on any one of them then I really have a problem. I can't see the reason for having an ipad with everything I already have so no reason to buy one.
    1. Vathgol's Avatar
      Vathgol -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      I had a dream about the iPad a few nights ago and I haven't pre-ordered one or am even convinced I'll buy one. I might be a lost cause

      But in the dream I was using it to check email and surf the web
      Theres no need to buy an Ipad.. its just a waste of money at what an Iphone can already do.. theres nothing special about it except steve jobs is just greedy..... just wait until Apple drops the price... let everyone else waste their money on a product just so they can fit into whatever mold of "I have it" ....

      HP is making a tablet if you want a device thin in size.. the Ipad offers nothing on it except for some stupid chip that steve job is boasting about.. we STILL dont know the memory of this thing and the max space is 64gig... are you kidding me?? so HP will is in process of having everything this over priced product has plus more.. just wait.. its not worth it...
    1. romeo_herman's Avatar
      romeo_herman -
      I also don't know what is iPad for......
    1. Vathgol's Avatar
      Vathgol -
      Quote Originally Posted by jimmydee View Post
      Heres my opinion. I have a iphone, laptop, netbook, and PC. If I can't do it on any one of them then I really have a problem. I can't see the reason for having an ipad with everything I already have so no reason to buy one.
      totally agree with ya......whats the point in wasting $5-900 on a product that does what my iphone can do..if i want a bigger screen, i have a/v cables for my iphone.
    1. Maarten16's Avatar
      Maarten16 -
      I would only use it to make some awesome themes, because of the possibilities on theming that device
    1. adrian1480's Avatar
      adrian1480 -
      I won't use it for anything without a proper jailbreak.
    1. giancarlo's Avatar
      giancarlo -
      There is no good explanation for an iPad and how the world needs it. Apple just took the netbook ideas, removed some hard drive space, took away a full OS and slapped in on a sexy package. The iphone redefined the mobile game....the ipad redefined nothing. It'll sell though because its apple and when one consumer sees another consumer at the local Starbucks with one reading a cosmopolitan magaine then they will jump on it. Call me old skool (I'm only 26) but I prefer sitting on the "porcelain throne" with a nice physical magazine flipping pages instead of walking in with a mini-plasma TV. I can see it becoming cool once the jailbreakers add cool stuff to it....but for not it's a definite PASS. I'll take that $600 and move it over to my 55" Samsung 3D-LED fund.
    1. pyromcr's Avatar
      pyromcr -
      its not between a phone or a laptop. it is some ipod touch with a growth defect...
    1. Raptors's Avatar
      Raptors -
      You guys are crazy, just wait Till apps start coming out for this

      I already ordered mine for school
    1. giancarlo's Avatar
      giancarlo -
      i dunno....wouldn't you have to lay it down to play games on it?
    1. Vathgol's Avatar
      Vathgol -
      Quote Originally Posted by giancarlo View Post
      There is no good explanation for an iPad and how the world needs it. Apple just took the netbook ideas, removed some hard drive space, took away a full OS and slapped in on a sexy package. The iphone redefined the mobile game....the ipad redefined nothing. It'll sell though because its apple and when one consumer sees another consumer at the local Starbucks with one reading a cosmopolitan magaine then they will jump on it. Call me old skool (I'm only 26) but I prefer sitting on the "porcelain throne" with a nice physical magazine flipping pages instead of walking in with a mini-plasma TV. I can see it becoming cool once the jailbreakers add cool stuff to it....but for not it's a definite PASS. I'll take that $600 and move it over to my 55" Samsung 3D-LED fund.
      I so agree.. I've commented before on this very thing, but ppl will spend money however they want, and will go in debt trying to please and wanting to be the talk over coffee...
      then they talk about if the ipad is priced reasonably? really its over priced just like ALL of apples products....i hate going into an apple store for an iphone issue bc you see these fake news paper readers, or ppl who think they are gods gift to the earth ooo and ahhh over high priced products....my iphone cost me $100 on a deal from craigslist.. took it into an apple store and made up some sad speaker story just so i could use their system and got me an unscratched phone all for $100.... thats about what an iphone is worth.. i dont care what ppl claim it can do.. thats why i will continue to jailbreak and use the internet.. power to the internet... $500 can go to upgrading my Hayabusa.... an Ipad.. please... Im from NJ.. I'll pick one up for sure.. just not at $500... hehehe
    1. DisneyRicky's Avatar
      DisneyRicky -
      Why does everyone keep saying that it is a big iPhone? It can't call! It is a big iPod Touch! Make things clear?!?
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      People complained about the use of the first iPhone too but people were crazy in line for the 3G. It takes time to see what the focus will be. I plan on getting one as a living room device for the family. Just to read the news or browse a webpage or check mail quickly while watching tv. I have 2 laptops and a desktop and the iPhone. I use my iPhone this way as of now because I just don't feel like grabbing the laptop and waiting on it to wake up. This is what he said it will be. Not a replacement for computer not for iphone, just an in between device. Call me stupid for paying 500$ for it instead of a netbook but been there done that and feel like this is the better option since I can afford it.
    1. Vathgol's Avatar
      Vathgol -
      Quote Originally Posted by Disneyricky View Post
      Why does everyone keep saying that it is a big iPhone? It can't call! It is a big iPod Touch! Make things clear?!?
      dude you're so wrong.... it CAN make calls.. thats why apple is coming out with two models... 1) just WI-FI ONLY and the 2) with WI-FI AND 3G .. which means you can put a sim card into the Ipad which talks to the network which gets phone calls....


      thats how that works
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Lol; hopefully you are saying that with sarcasim.
    1. surgeanator's Avatar
      surgeanator -
      I think the iPad is a big waste of time. I think people will realize that when they get there hands on one. I bet there will be plenty of people selling them used in a month or so, after the initial release.
    1. randelljack's Avatar
      randelljack -
      I'm sure, once it is jailbroken,the
      possibilities are endless. Let's be positive about it and make it useful. SJ