• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Google Issuing Software Patch to Help Samsung Work Around Galaxy Nexus Injunction


    Google recently mentioned that it will be releasing a software patch soon that will remove the potentially infringing search functionality from Samsung’s Galaxy Nexus smartphone, possibly helping it avoid the sales ban recently imposed by the U.S. court. The update will reportedly disable local search options from the unified search feature on the homescreen of the device. Voice search is also expected to be restricted to just web queries to follow the same subset of guidelines.

    The news all comes in after Samsung went through another legal setback when U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh shut down the company’s request to stay the ban while it appeals. Although Apple asked for a preliminary injunction against the Galaxy Nexus on the basis of four patents, the court granted the company an injunction last week specifically for a search-related patent titled “Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system.” Although Google has plans to remove the infringing search functionality, it isn’t clear yet whether Samsung will be allowed to sell the Galaxy Nexus after the patch is released. The court would still need to decide whether the new software actually removed the suspected infringement.

    Samsung had responded to the situation noting that it was “disappointed” with the decisions recently made. In a statement to The Next Web, the company said it would continue with its appeal and keep “working closely” with Google on the issue. For those of you who are interested, Samsung’s full statement can be found below:

    Samsung is disappointed with the court’s decision that denied our motion to stay. We believe today’s ruling will ultimately reduce the availability of superior products to consumers in the United States.

    We will continue to pursue an appeal of the GALAXY Nexus preliminary injunction, which we filed on July 2 to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Meanwhile, we are also working closely with Google to resolve this matter, as the patent in question concerns Google’s unified search function.
    As of last night, the Galaxy Nexus was no longer directly on sale on the Google Play Store and is listed as “Coming Soon” instead, though it isn’t positive whether this change was directly related to the injunction or not. Regardless, we’ll have to wait and see what the court decides to see if the injunction will be lifted or not. In the meantime, Samsung continues to experience a huge loss while Apple remains one step ahead in the legal battle between the two.

    Source: The Next Web
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google Issuing Software Patch to Help Samsung Work Around Galaxy Nexus Injunction started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 42 Comments
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Could you imagine the riots that would happen if the same thing happened for an apple product launch?
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      WHY do people still buy Apple products with this kind of mentality from Apple?
      Apple really need a huge loss as they deserve to loose a lot of money after all the crap they put others through.

      Apple products are way overpriced and extremely limited so ANYTHING is better than Apple.
      A PC can do a hell of a lot more than a Mac can do and close to a quarter the price.
      A Notebook is a quarter of the price and can do a lot more than a macbook can do.
      A Galaxy S3 kicks *** over the iPhone 4S

      There are many reasons not to get an Apple but people still do. I did as I had the money to waste (which I did) and I wanted to upgrade my iPad and give my daughter an iPad which she needs.
      I have both iPad and Galaxy Tab and I prefer the Galaxy. It's way more friendly and runs the same apps and most are free compared to iPad apps.

      I WONT be upgrading my iPhone 4 to another Apple device. I WILL be getting an Android. Maybe the Galaxy S3 if I upgrade soon or the next in the series. Maybe the Nexus as I dont think its banned in Aus.
    1. brodimus's Avatar
      brodimus -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      I WONT be upgrading my iPhone 4 to another Apple device. I WILL be getting an Android. Maybe the Galaxy S3 if I upgrade soon or the next in the series. Maybe the Nexus as I dont think its banned in Aus.
      You're in the minority though Faerie. Most people don't even jailbreak their phones, so if they don't care how ridiculously limited stock iOS is, they certainly won't care about Apple's business practices. Which is evident now as most people outside of sites like these don't care about Apple greedily rationing the features of iOS 6. I can't say myself that I won't buy Apple again. I'm waiting for WP8 but if it disappoints, I'll be waiting for jailbroken iOS 6. As hypocritical as that sounds given what I just wrote, in the end, I gotta go with what works, not with who's right. Besides, I'm just a number to Google and Microsoft, just like I am to Apple.
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      WHY do people still buy Apple products with this kind of mentality from Apple?
      Why did you?


      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Apple really need a huge loss as they deserve to loose a lot of money after all the crap they put others through.
      Wishing for the harm of another is not a good idea.


      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Apple products are way overpriced and extremely limited so ANYTHING is better than Apple.
      It didn't stop you from purchasing an Apple product, or from finding a pro Apple forum, registering and then complaining about it. Maybe you should get a refund and leave us out of it?

      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      A PC can do a hell of a lot more than a Mac can do and close to a quarter the price.
      Do I need to open the spyware/malware/trojan/worms,virus argument? We could go around forever on this topic alone. My Mac is virus free and I don't have to perform every other day updates like Windows users have to. I don't have to purchase or even download free software to keep my computer clean. It just works.

      And whining about price is ridiculous. If you can't afford something that's your problem, not anyone else's. Ferraris cost 100 times what a normal car does. Does that make Ferrari owners stupid for buying a Ferrari instead of a 1989 Honda Civic? Sounds like you are jealous because you don't have much money.


      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      A Notebook is a quarter of the price and can do a lot more than a macbook can do.
      Now you are a troll in my opinion. Find a nice troll forum to post in okay? Hopefully your offspring don't turn into trolls too.
    1. lucca567's Avatar
      lucca567 -
      This whole injunction thing is probably better for Samsung in the long run because it is like free advertising of the tablet. This way when they can release the tablet more people will know about it.

      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      WHY do people still buy Apple products with this kind of mentality from Apple?
      Apple really need a huge loss as they deserve to loose a lot of money after all the crap they put others through.

      Apple products are way overpriced and extremely limited so ANYTHING is better than Apple.
      A PC can do a hell of a lot more than a Mac can do and close to a quarter the price.
      A Notebook is a quarter of the price and can do a lot more than a macbook can do.
      A Galaxy S3 kicks *** over the iPhone 4S

      There are many reasons not to get an Apple but people still do. I did as I had the money to waste (which I did) and I wanted to upgrade my iPad and give my daughter an iPad which she needs.
      I have both iPad and Galaxy Tab and I prefer the Galaxy. It's way more friendly and runs the same apps and most are free compared to iPad apps.

      I WONT be upgrading my iPhone 4 to another Apple device. I WILL be getting an Android. Maybe the Galaxy S3 if I upgrade soon or the next in the series. Maybe the Nexus as I dont think its banned in Aus.
      Last time I checked, the iPad is a great deal when compared to all the $600+ android tablets.
      iPhone is same price if not cheaper than other feature android smartphones.
      Macs are a little high in pricing but they last MUCH longer than all PC's and their re-sale value is also higher for when you upgrade. Overall, I like Apple and I like android too, but apple seems to be giving the better bang for your buck.
    1. hank197857's Avatar
      hank197857 -
      gentlemen, please ... this kind of trash talk is for the other sites. reports indicate that iphone owners are more educated than their counterparts. let's not stoop to that mentality. yes, it would be great if apple would focus more of its resources toward development instead of expensive litigation. at the same time, if samsung were not guilty of patent infringement, there would be no need for the patch. move on! root or jb the device of your choice. it's still a free country. ... and happy birthday america!
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      I would just import the phone. I mean really. Crapple is just trying to screw everyone else over by having all sorts of useless patents so that they can be the only company left. It's bs.

      Do I need to open the spyware/malware/trojan/worms,virus argument? We could go around forever on this topic alone. My Mac is virus free and I don't have to perform every other day updates like Windows users have to. I don't have to purchase or even download free software to keep my computer clean. It just works.

      This is total crap. I've been running a beta version of Windows 8 on a pc it's not meant for for the past like 6 months I think with no updates or virus protection and my computer is clean as a new one so don't say that kinda bs. You're just a crapple fanboy who thinks everything crapple does is best. Well it's not. While their phones may be better than most their computers are just trashy pieces of junk that are useless to probably 90% of the world who need to run programs for actually getting work done or playing video games. All crapple is made for is making some crappy music or looking at photos. So really dude, get over yourself.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      You can still buy the phones through local carriers and Sprint and Verizon so what's the big deal? Oh F apple times 2
    1. zrevai's Avatar
      zrevai -
      Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
      gentlemen, please ... this kind of trash talk is for the other sites. reports indicate that iphone owners are more educated than their counterparts. let's not stoop to that mentality. yes, it would be great if apple would focus more of its resources toward development instead of expensive litigation. at the same time, if samsung were not guilty of patent infringement, there would be no need for the patch. move on! root or jb the device of your choice. it's still a free country. ... and happy birthday america!
      Personally I can't wait to see what Sir Jonathan Ives has in store for us this fall!!! If his quicky interview last month he said revolutionary changes were coming to an undisclosed Apple product. If its half as revolutionary as his previous work it should be amazing!!!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Do I need to open the spyware/malware/trojan/worms,virus argument? We could go around forever on this topic alone. My Mac is virus free and I don't have to perform every other day updates like Windows users have to. I don't have to purchase or even download free software to keep my computer clean. It just works.

      And whining about price is ridiculous. If you can't afford something that's your problem, not anyone else's. Ferraris cost 100 times what a normal car does. Does that make Ferrari owners stupid for buying a Ferrari instead of a 1989 Honda Civic? Sounds like you are jealous because you don't have much money.




      Now you are a troll in my opinion. Find a nice troll forum to post in okay? Hopefully your offspring don't turn into trolls too.
      This is the most overblown and 100% argument that Mac fans make. You are wrong, end of story. Don't call others trolls when all you seem to be doing is trolling as well.
    1. Ambi_Valence's Avatar
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      This is the most overblown and 100% argument that Mac fans make. You are wrong, end of story. Don't call others trolls when all you seem to be doing is trolling as well.
      What I'm looking at is the Ferrari part and the comparison is spot on. It's not just for Ferrari either. It stands for virtually all branded goods, training shoes, supermarket food - you name it. The best argument I think is the VW Phaeton and Bentley Continental GT. Very similar car, massive difference in price due to badge.
      If you like it buy it. If you don't, leave it on the shelf.

      If you own any branded goods you are probably a hypocrite.

      That said, if Google are infringing on a patent I'm sure they were aware of it almost from the beginning. If all it took was a software patch why not do it that way from the off?

      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      I would just import the phone. I mean really. Crapple is just trying to screw everyone else over by having all sorts of useless patents so that they can be the only company left. It's bs.

      This is total crap. I've been running a beta version of Windows 8 on a pc it's not meant for for the past like 6 months I think with no updates or virus protection and my computer is clean as a new one so don't say that kinda bs. You're just a crapple fanboy who thinks everything crapple does is best. Well it's not. While their phones may be better than most their computers are just trashy pieces of junk that are useless to probably 90% of the world who need to run programs for actually getting work done or playing video games. All crapple is made for is making some crappy music or looking at photos. So really dude, get over yourself.
      The only company would make it a monopoly, (like Microsoft almost has if you think computers). As to the rest of your argument, Really? I mean Really??
      Considering you can run windows pretty easily on a Mac your argument about them being useless is about as much use to you as an ejector seat in a helicopter.
    1. Colby21's Avatar
      Colby21 -
      Funny... I thought this was an Apple website.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      WHY do people still buy Apple products with this kind of mentality from Apple?
      Apple really need a huge loss as they deserve to loose a lot of money after all the crap they put others through.

      Apple products are way overpriced and extremely limited so ANYTHING is better than Apple.
      A PC can do a hell of a lot more than a Mac can do and close to a quarter the price.
      A Notebook is a quarter of the price and can do a lot more than a macbook can do.
      A Galaxy S3 kicks *** over the iPhone 4S

      There are many reasons not to get an Apple but people still do. I did as I had the money to waste (which I did) and I wanted to upgrade my iPad and give my daughter an iPad which she needs.
      I have both iPad and Galaxy Tab and I prefer the Galaxy. It's way more friendly and runs the same apps and most are free compared to iPad apps.

      I WONT be upgrading my iPhone 4 to another Apple device. I WILL be getting an Android. Maybe the Galaxy S3 if I upgrade soon or the next in the series. Maybe the Nexus as I dont think its banned in Aus.
      We've all heard this argument before, and no one cares! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about things, we don't all have to have the same one as you, that's why people buy Apple products. A lot of us believe Apple has every right to protect their patents, not only that but that Apple has a lot better products out there then most others. You're opinion isn't going to change what we want or believe, so saying all those negative things is just a waste of time. You're more than welcome to state what you are thinking but there's no need for any bashing just because you don't like what Apple is doing, that's quite immature. And lastly, no one care's that you won't be upgrading your iPhone 4 lol, if you want an Android that's sweet, have fun with it. If you're going to bash on Apple go do it on another forum as this is an APPLE site...
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Why did you?




      Wishing for the harm of another is not a good idea.




      It didn't stop you from purchasing an Apple product, or from finding a pro Apple forum, registering and then complaining about it. Maybe you should get a refund and leave us out of it?



      Do I need to open the spyware/malware/trojan/worms,virus argument? We could go around forever on this topic alone. My Mac is virus free and I don't have to perform every other day updates like Windows users have to. I don't have to purchase or even download free software to keep my computer clean. It just works.

      And whining about price is ridiculous. If you can't afford something that's your problem, not anyone else's. Ferraris cost 100 times what a normal car does. Does that make Ferrari owners stupid for buying a Ferrari instead of a 1989 Honda Civic? Sounds like you are jealous because you don't have much money.




      Now you are a troll in my opinion. Find a nice troll forum to post in okay? Hopefully your offspring don't turn into trolls too.
      +1

      Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
      Funny... I thought this was an Apple website.
      Haha yes, I never understand why people feel the need to go to a pro-apple website to complain, like really? Who's listening. +1 my dude.
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
      Funny... I thought this was an Apple website.
      Apparently people hate their life so much that they sign up for a site just to complain.
    1. Breezy215's Avatar
      Breezy215 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
      gentlemen, please ... This kind of trash talk is for the other sites. Reports indicate that iphone owners are more educated than their counterparts. Let's not stoop to that mentality. Yes, it would be great if apple would focus more of its resources toward development instead of expensive litigation. At the same time, if samsung were not guilty of patent infringement, there would be no need for the patch. Move on! Root or jb the device of your choice. It's still a free country. ... And happy birthday america!
      applause!!
    1. xLastWishx's Avatar
      xLastWishx -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      I would just import the phone. I mean really. Crapple is just trying to screw everyone else over by having all sorts of useless patents so that they can be the only company left. It's bs.

      Do I need to open the spyware/malware/trojan/worms,virus argument? We could go around forever on this topic alone. My Mac is virus free and I don't have to perform every other day updates like Windows users have to. I don't have to purchase or even download free software to keep my computer clean. It just works.

      This is total crap. I've been running a beta version of Windows 8 on a pc it's not meant for for the past like 6 months I think with no updates or virus protection and my computer is clean as a new one so don't say that kinda bs. You're just a crapple fanboy who thinks everything crapple does is best. Well it's not. While their phones may be better than most their computers are just trashy pieces of junk that are useless to probably 90% of the world who need to run programs for actually getting work done or playing video games. All crapple is made for is making some crappy music or looking at photos. So really dude, get over yourself.
      As a graphic designer, video editor, animator, web and software developer, I, along with my entire studio use MacBook Pros and iMacs for all of our work. So no it's not just looking at photos or composing music. So yeah we actually get work done on our Macs. Everything looks so much better on a retina display we love being able to see everything in high quality as we believe in high production values. Also how the hell are these computers trashy pieces of junk? Apple doesn't use low quality parts like any manufactured Windows PC. I'm not hating on Windows, in fact I'm typing on one right now. But your points were honestly stupid saying how people just use Macs to look at photos. So really dude, get over YOURSELF.

      On topic: The whole lawsuit between Android handsets and iPhones should honestly stop. In my opinion iOS6 sucks hardcore compared to Jellybean. In fact I won't be updating my 4S to iOS6 as I feel that iOS5 is the last worthy update with a whole bunch of available jailbreak tweaks which makes the user experience much better. I may buy the upcoming iPhone but I'm definitely going to pick up an Android handsets and enjoy best of both worlds. If I can't do that thanks to Apple then I won't buy another iPhone again.
    1. shortysos7's Avatar
      shortysos7 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      Apparently people hate their life so much that they sign up for a site just to complain.
      Lmfao

      Quote Originally Posted by xLastWishx View Post
      As a graphic designer, video editor, animator, web and software developer, I, along with my entire studio use MacBook Pros and iMacs for all of our work. So no it's not just looking at photos or composing music. So yeah we actually get work done on our Macs. Everything looks so much better on a retina display we love being able to see everything in high quality as we believe in high production values. Also how the hell are these computers trashy pieces of junk? Apple doesn't use low quality parts like any manufactured Windows PC. I'm not hating on Windows, in fact I'm typing on one right now. But your points were honestly stupid saying how people just use Macs to look at photos. So really dude, get over YOURSELF.

      On topic: The whole lawsuit between Android handsets and iPhones should honestly stop. In my opinion iOS6 sucks hardcore compared to Jellybean. In fact I won't be updating my 4S to iOS6 as I feel that iOS5 is the last worthy update with a whole bunch of available jailbreak tweaks which makes the user experience much better. I may buy the upcoming iPhone but I'm definitely going to pick up an Android handsets and enjoy best of both worlds. If I can't do that thanks to Apple then I won't buy another iPhone again.
      Applause
    1. fventura03's Avatar
      fventura03 -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Do I need to open the spyware/malware/trojan/worms,virus argument? We could go around forever on this topic alone. My Mac is virus free and I don't have to perform every other day updates like Windows users have to. I don't have to purchase or even download free software to keep my computer clean. It just works.
      user error, all my systems run Windows 7, and I scan them every 5 or 6 months or so, just to see if I have anything. I dont, that whole spyware/virus talk is user error. don't go into websites that are full of that kind of stuff and you're good.

      I also use Linux (currently Crunchbang) due to it's simplicity and quickness, no viruses there, either.
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
      being useless is about as much use to you as an ejector seat in a helicopter.
      LOL! Now thats funny!