• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS Squashes Android With 65% Mobile Browser Share Last Month


    According to the latest data presented by the folks at Net Applications, Apple had a phenomenal month of June in the mobile browser space, particularly with regard to thwarting Android in a very, very convincing manner.

    The facts of the matter are pretty difficult to disregard or overlook. As it turns out, Apple’s iOS claimed a staggering 65 percent of the mobile browser share last month. How about Android you ask? Google's still hugely popular mobile operating system only grabbed 20 percent in comparison.

    During the last twelve months, however, both Android and iOS have increased in popularity and market share across a wide array of categories. All gains, of course, have come at someone's expense - usually BlackBerry. But just since late last summer, Apple’s mobile browser share has climbed from just north of 50% all the way to 65%.

    And as far as the losers in the game? Well, BlackBerry and Nokia’s Symbian platforms have continued to struggle. BlackBerry now retains a sad 1.33 percent of the market. Nokia’s share is hardly better at 1.49 percent. But Microsoft’s mobile platform market share has the most room for improvement at just 0.61 percent.

    Source: Net Applications
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS Squashes Android With 65% Mobile Browser Share Last Month started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      If only iOS had a decent browser
    1. brodimus's Avatar
      brodimus -
      I know, right? Imagine if it had Chrome or iCab Mobile.
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      Run that report at the end of the month and you'll see that advantage completely disappear with the release of GOOGLE Chrome, which is the number one rated app on the app store.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      Run that report at the end of the month and you'll see that advantage completely disappear with the release of GOOGLE Chrome, which is the number one rated app on the app store.
      Hahahaha.....oh man...this is hilarious. You do realize that Chrome for iOS, is ran on...wait for it...iOS!! Sorry man, but that was just to funny!
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Why do you all hate safari for iOS? (I know it's not the best on comps). It is easy to use and does its job. What can't you do with it? You can easily search go to previous/next page there's an easy URL you can go to bookmarks history add little links in your homescreen. What's wrong with it? You want faster speeds then get on faster wifi or a better server
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      You can also change the UAString on Android pretty easily along with using browsers that dont' show they are on Android to deliver desktop webpages on mobile devices. These numbers are flawed.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      Hahahaha.....oh man...this is hilarious. You do realize that Chrome for iOS, is ran on...wait for it...iOS!! Sorry man, but that was just to funny!

      Lol! This made me laugh! Good job!

      I don't mind Safari at all, though right now I'm using Chrome which I really like. It's funny to see BB and Nokia at such low numbers, they should just give up
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
      I know, right? Imagine if it had Chrome or iCab Mobile.
      Chrome on iOS is just a skin for Safari.
    1. amoamare's Avatar
      amoamare -
      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
      You can also change the UAString on Android pretty easily along with using browsers that dont' show they are on Android to deliver desktop webpages on mobile devices. These numbers are flawed.
      Exactly, these statistics ARE 100% inaccurate considering the amount of android users use third party software IE dolphin, chrome etc. These are only based of UAString and the company looking at this should stop posting inaccurate information or at lest state that these numbers are based of users using the stock browsers and uastrings.
    1. control635's Avatar
      control635 -
      in all honesty I really like safari... its one of the fastest for the iphone and the most stable, so i cant really complain
    1. hank197857's Avatar
      hank197857 -
      i had no problems using safari on the iphone, but chrome is far superior on the mac. that's why i'm trying chrome on my iphone now. i can't really tell the difference.
    1. yohu123's Avatar
      yohu123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
      Exactly, these statistics ARE 100% inaccurate considering the amount of android users use third party software IE dolphin, chrome etc. These are only based of UAString and the company looking at this should stop posting inaccurate information or at lest state that these numbers are based of users using the stock browsers and uastrings.
      If these statistics are inaccurate then how much more mobile share can Android grab?

      I mean, iOS is already 65%, so that leaves 35%.

      Now the share of non-iOS and non-Andriod platforms cannot be inaccurate, right?

      So what is left is Andriod+Other, which is 20%+1% = 21%.

      Case closed.
    1. Tkess's Avatar
      Tkess -
      Quote Originally Posted by yohu123 View Post
      If these statistics are inaccurate then how much more mobile share can Android grab?

      I mean, iOS is already 65%, so that leaves 35%.

      Now the share of non-iOS and non-Andriod platforms cannot be inaccurate, right?

      So what is left is Andriod+Other, which is 20%+1% = 21%.

      Case closed.
      Case not closed. This report is looking for data used by MOBILE browsers. The argument is that Android 3rd party browsers allow you to change UAstrings to make your phone appear as a DESKTOP browser. DESKTOP browser data would not be reported as MOBILE, thus the data is inaccurate.

      You've just been lawyered.
    1. rileyrg's Avatar
      rileyrg -
      The guys suggesting these numbers are wrong really need to learn about how the data is collected before making up conspiracy theories. As for the comment about chrome bring just a theme for safari: hopefully the poster is joking and is not seriously so willfully ignorant.
    1. MomentousImpact's Avatar
      MomentousImpact -
      Quote Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
      The guys suggesting these numbers are wrong really need to learn about how the data is collected before making up conspiracy theories. As for the comment about chrome bring just a theme for safari: hopefully the poster is joking and is not seriously so willfully ignorant.
      Tkess is not at all wrong if you read the page you would realize that and stop being so ignorant.
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Chrome on iOS is just a skin for Safari.
      Uh no lol

      Quote Originally Posted by Tkess View Post
      Case not closed. This report is looking for data used by MOBILE browsers. The argument is that Android 3rd party browsers allow you to change UAstrings to make your phone appear as a DESKTOP browser. DESKTOP browser data would not be reported as MOBILE, thus the data is inaccurate.

      You've just been lawyered.
      Edit: I see you beat me to it! Lol

      Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
      Why do you all hate safari for iOS? (I know it's not the best on comps). It is easy to use and does its job. What can't you do with it? You can easily search go to previous/next page there's an easy URL you can go to bookmarks history add little links in your homescreen. What's wrong with it? You want faster speeds then get on faster wifi or a better server

      Safari is lacking in certain areas. Some content can't be displayed correctly, etc.
    1. soidroidios's Avatar
      soidroidios -
      I guess, people have to turn on their browser for the most part while Android users live with just the apps? Besides, most android users browse the net in Desktop mode. This modifies the "name" of the browser into PC instead of android phone so that they can view the whole PC experience. There is very little credibility to "browser" usage and it's effect in Market share. Still, way to go iOS! Woot!