• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Google Launches Chrome Web Browser for iOS


    Those of you that are bugging to stop using Apple’s Mobile Safari application have got to love all these third party Web browser releases. Not too long ago, Mozilla announced an iPad version of their Firefox Web browser. Today, Google has launched their Google Chrome Web browser on the iOS platform and it will work on every iOS device.

    Just like the upcoming iPad version of Firefox, Google Chrome for iOS will be limited to Apple’s Web kit engine because the App Store has limitations for third party developers. This means that Google Chrome won’t be as fast as Mobile Safari. On a more positive note, Google Chrome for iOS does look good and it has some pretty neat animations and a simplistic interface that could compete with Mobile Safari for people that don't much care about the tiny speed difference.

    Youtube Video

    In case you were wondering, the iOS version of Google Chrome will have the tab syncing feature that moves across all of your devices running Google Chrome so you can start something from one place and pick up on it from another place. This feature requires an account with Google. Chrome for iOS gives you unlimited tabs, offers incognito mode (alternative to Mobile Safari’s private browsing feature), and even lets you send Web pages from your iOS device to your computers for looking at later on.

    If you plan on picking up Google Chrome for iOS, you can download it for free from the App Store. Here is a link.

    Google has also released their Google Drive application for iOS today, which you can grab for free from the App Store from this link.

    Sources: App Store via MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google Launches Chrome Web Browser for iOS started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 35 Comments
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Downloaded it, very good. The UI looks like Dolphin's. Now I have 4 browsers in my iPod lol I hate safari
    1. brianlg's Avatar
      brianlg -
      finally!
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      'Bout time. Safari drives me nuts at time. It could use an overhaul.
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Gonna download it now
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Definitely could use a full screen feature.
    1. digzz's Avatar
      digzz -
      Can't find it in UK App store.
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      I want Firefox for iPhones.
    1. rocky5's Avatar
      rocky5 -
      Why cant Siri have such good voice detection? Chrome understands Scottish lol perfectly & the browser is silky smooth.
    1. Robert A Petersen's Avatar
      Robert A Petersen -
      It's not really Chrome. As a visit to whatsmyuseragent.com confirms, it's just Safari with a Chrome theme and Google Sync:

      Your User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 6_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.46.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/19.0.1084.60 Mobile/10A5338d Safari/7534.48.3

      Also, because of Apple policy it's forced to use UiWebView and it's JavaScript is 2x slower than just using Safari.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Just tried it. Not really a fan at the moment always used safari and never had problems. UI looks good but I'll have to give it more time
    1. rickuk's Avatar
      rickuk -
      Its nice being able to sync between the desktop and iPhone with a decent browser

      Safari on Windows is NOT an option
    1. zoltan1600's Avatar
      zoltan1600 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Petersen View Post
      It's not really Chrome. As a visit to whatsmyuseragent.com confirms, it's just Safari with a Chrome theme and Google Sync:

      Your User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 6_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.46.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/19.0.1084.60 Mobile/10A5338d Safari/7534.48.3

      Also, because of Apple policy it's forced to use UiWebView and it's JavaScript is 2x slower than just using Safari.

      Well no Sh*t.

      Look at these videos:




      As you may be able to tell Chrome was loading Significantly faster on the iPhone 4s compared to safari on the i4 whereas safari was only Slightly faster on the 4s compared to chrome on the i4. Just because it doesn't have the javascript engine doesn't mean the real world usage isn't as good or better.
    1. buttrr76's Avatar
      buttrr76 -
      lol how did this come out today... when it was in the app store on the 26th..
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      I like it!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      "Find on page" makes up for any shortcomings of the browser. Not being able to easily and intuitively search for text on a page in Safari a mere five years after its release is absurd.
    1. Robert A Petersen's Avatar
      Robert A Petersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by zoltan1600 View Post
      Well no Sh*t.

      Look at these videos:




      As you may be able to tell Chrome was loading Significantly faster on the iPhone 4s compared to safari on the i4 whereas safari was only Slightly faster on the 4s compared to chrome on the i4. Just because it doesn't have the javascript engine doesn't mean the real world usage isn't as good or better.
      Uh, those iPhones are on different networks there buddy. You're not doing "Safari Vs. Chrome", you're doing "AT&T Vs. T-Mobile".
    1. Robert A Petersen's Avatar
      Robert A Petersen -
      Uh, those iPhones are on different networks there buddy. You're not doing "Safari Vs. Chrome", you're doing "AT&T Vs. T-Mobile".
    1. mydarkblueshirt's Avatar
      mydarkblueshirt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Petersen View Post
      Uh, those iPhones are on different networks there buddy. You're not doing "Safari Vs. Chrome", you're doing "AT&T Vs. T-Mobile".
      No. If you looked closer they're both on Wifi in both videos. So yes, what he posted is in fact Safari vs Chrome videos.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      "Find on page" makes up for any shortcomings of the browser. Not being able to easily and intuitively search for text on a page in Safari a mere five years after its release is absurd.
      Yes you can. The Google search has an "on this page" section after the google results.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by robert a petersen View Post
      uh, those iphones are on different networks there buddy. You're not doing "safari vs. Chrome", you're doing "at&t vs. T-mobile".
      wifi!