• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Google Rolls Out 'Nexus 7' Tablet at I/O Developer Conference


    On Wednesday, as Google's I/O Developer Conference got underway, the Internet search giant confirmed its new venture with Asus: the "Nexus 7." The 7-inch tablet runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and, perhaps most impressively, retails for just $199 (8GB model). The higher-end 16GB model goes for $249.

    Here's what we know about the tablet's many features. There's a 1,280-by-800-pixel display (powered by the Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset), front-facing camera, NFC compatibility, a quad-core CPU and 12-core graphics processor, built-in Wi-Fi, and, of course, Bluetooth. The Nexus 7 weighs just 12 ounces.

    During a presentation at the company's annual developer conference, Google showed its Nexus 7 tablet which rivals Amazon.com Inc.'s popular Kindle Fire in both size and price. The device features a seven-inch screen that is designed to display books and other media available on Google's Play service.
    The tablet is said to be "an ideal device for reading books." That's according to Google engineering director Chris Yerga, who spoke at the presentation.

    Interested in the Nexus 7? If so, you won't have to wait long to get it. Google says the tablet will be rolled out in July - likely toward the middle of the month. So far, the most successful low-end tablet is Amazon's answer to the iPad known as the Kindle Fire. Only time will tell if the Nexus 7 will put out the "fire."

    Source: WSJ
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google Rolls Out 'Nexus 7' Tablet at I/O Developer Conference started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 26 Comments
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      See ya later Kindle Fire
    1. Breezer23's Avatar
      Breezer23 -
      Love Android or hate it - more competition is a good thing and really drives TRUE innovation.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Good price but it looks terrible. No design to it at all.
    1. Robert A Petersen's Avatar
      Robert A Petersen -
      The front of it looks kinda identical to, well a smaller iPad, or a larger iPod Touch. I mean, nearly freaking identical. I smell an oncoming Apple lawsuit, and they'll be right to do so.
    1. JollyRogger's Avatar
      JollyRogger -
      You would think that Apple kind of have to release a 7" tablet to try and counter this.
      The specs of the Nexus are impressive and it's going to sell bucket loads at that price.
      AND The Fire is still not available here in the UK. It's almost as though they don't want to sell any.

      Come on Apple and blow them away again with a 7" iPad 2.5 lol

      Jolly
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Petersen View Post
      The front of it looks kinda identical to, well a smaller iPad, or a larger iPod Touch. I mean, nearly freaking identical. I smell an oncoming Apple lawsuit, and they'll be right to do so.
      Your kidding right? something tells me you missed the train for a brain by this much ----> <----

      Quote Originally Posted by JollyRogger View Post
      You would think that Apple kind of have to release a 7" tablet to try and counter this.
      The specs of the Nexus are impressive and it's going to sell bucket loads at that price.
      AND The Fire is still not available here in the UK. It's almost as though they don't want to sell any.

      Come on Apple and blow them away again with a 7" iPad 2.5 lol

      Jolly
      Apple doesn't innovate or design new products, they just sue anyone who does it better then them.

      Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
      Good price but it looks terrible. No design to it at all.
      It looks nice and simple, if it looked shiny and flashy Apple would whine and complain that it was their design and try to sue.
    1. ByteArt's Avatar
      ByteArt -
      apple innovates plenty, which tablet did you use before the iPad? creating the first consumer ready product in a category is innovation.
    1. Robert A Petersen's Avatar
      Robert A Petersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      Your kidding right? something tells me you missed the train for a brain by this much ----> <----



      Apple doesn't innovate or design new products, they just sue anyone who does it better then them.



      It looks nice and simple, if it looked shiny and flashy Apple would whine and complain that it was their design and try to sue.
      Dude, I'm not saying whether it works well or not, just saying it looks the same as an iPad. That's a fact, just look at it.
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Petersen View Post
      Dude, I'm not saying whether it works well or not, just saying it looks the same as an iPad. That's a fact, just look at it.
      Considering Apple doesn't have a 7" device it will be pretty damn difficult to claim its the same design as one of their products, hence why Apple cannot get a injuction ban on the Galaxy Tab 7.
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      Windows Surface is still better!
    1. ColeTrex's Avatar
      ColeTrex -
      This is more of a meh to me... Kindle fire 2 maybe?
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      I thought the specs were decent but no rear camera? You have to come with a complete tablet not just an E-Reader, hoping the user does not need or want one. Apple as set the bar and none of the competition is close. Good design and great OS=better tablet.
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      I thought the specs were decent but no rear camera? You have to come with a complete tablet not just an E-Reader, hoping the user does not need or want one. Apple as set the bar and none of the competition is close. Good design and great OS=better tablet.
      Umm I'd suggest you look at the windows surface dude.
    1. femibrim's Avatar
      femibrim -
      Forget Nexus 7!!!! forget kindle fire!!!!! u need to google "Google Glasses"!!!!!!!! The future is here people!!!!
    1. firetwuck's Avatar
      firetwuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      Your kidding right? something tells me you missed the train for a brain by this much ----> <----



      Apple doesn't innovate or design new products, they just sue anyone who does it better then them.



      It looks nice and simple, if it looked shiny and flashy Apple would whine and complain that it was their design and try to sue.
      Obvious TROLL is obvious.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      NFC technology? Really?

      All iPad competitors here's your mistake you are clunking up your devices with as many features possible!!! Just keep it simple that's by apples > androids. Kindle fires sold cause they are just simple they do what they say they aren't confusing and loaded with millions of features
    1. domenicp's Avatar
      domenicp -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      Considering Apple doesn't have a 7" device it will be pretty damn difficult to claim its the same design as one of their products, hence why Apple cannot get a injuction ban on the Galaxy Tab 7.
      Have you read the previous article from today... Where Apple's injunction was granted?
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
      Have you read the previous article from today... Where Apple's injunction was granted?
      I did, go read the "actual" article from reuters not what posted on here apparently they missed a pile of information.

      SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Tuesday backed Apple Inc's request to stop Samsung Electronics selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in the United States, giving the iPhone maker a significant win in the global smartphone and tablet patent wars.

      Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
      NFC technology? Really?

      All iPad competitors here's your mistake you are clunking up your devices with as many features possible!!! Just keep it simple that's by apples > androids. Kindle fires sold cause they are just simple they do what they say they aren't confusing and loaded with millions of features
      Please explain with details how adding features clunks up a device, I got an idea, go buy yourself a typerwriter and get off the internet, your computer is full of features that are clunking it up.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      I did, go read the "actual" article from reuters not what posted on here apparently they missed a pile of information.

      SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Tuesday backed Apple Inc's request to stop Samsung Electronics selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in the United States, giving the iPhone maker a significant win in the global smartphone and tablet patent wars.



      Please explain with details how adding features clunks up a device, I got an idea, go buy yourself a typerwriter and get off the internet, your computer is full of features that are clunking it up.
      They try to fit as much as they can into one thing but don't have enough man power to test it all. Apple however keeps it simple.

      Adding feature with pointless cause are dumb. They won't help the device sale ever thought of why apples successful? One reason is that they have one device and it's not clunked up so third party companies can make it compatible. You don't understand that millions of features don't sell. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!
    1. Bear_Grylls's Avatar
      Bear_Grylls -
      -...front-facing camera, NFC compatibility, a quad-core CPU and 12-core graphics processor...-
      The tablet is said to be "an ideal device for reading books."
      Dude, wat?