• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPad 2 Benchmarked


    Performance benchmarks run on the iPad 2 underscore what new tablet owners have seen for themselves: Apple wasn't exaggerating when they claimed that the second-generation tablet device is twice as fast is its predecessor. Tests done using common performance tools have shown improvement across the board, with floating point operations many times faster than the original iPad. While we won't know for sure until someone takes a saw to the chip, the results indicate that the A5 is packing dual Cortex-A9s.

    Apple never reveals what's inside its devices, and doesn't publish many specs on performance. This is purely a marketing gambit: Apple's competitors - as well as repair shops and technically adept users - promptly tear apart every device as soon as it's released. With the custom Apple system-on-a-chip (SoC) introduced with the iPhone 4, teardowns have gotten more complex. However, using performance testing software, it's possible to identify what's on the hood with a fair degree of certainty.

    Engadget used Geekbench to benchmark the review iPad 2 they got before it was released, and found that it had 512 MB of RAM a dual-core CPU clocked at 800 MHz. The Geekbench result of 721 was almost twice the original iPad's 375. And Anand Shimpi and his crew at AnandTech have done the most exhaustive benchmarking yet, getting detailed results from Geekbench, Linpack, JavaScript and browser speed tests. The floating point unit on the iPad 2 has 400% better performance than the original iPad, and integer calculations are closer to twice as fast. Memory bandwidth is also much improved, and the increased power shows up in both single- and multi-threaded tasks. Based on the results, Shimpi along with other observers is concluding that the heart of the A5 is a pair of Cortex-A9 cores and a dual-core PowerVR SGX545MP2 graphics coprocessor.

    What this means in the real world is that the iPad 2 gives much faster, smoother performance than the original, and that there's that much more horsepower to do things - like advanced graphics manipulation and video - that haven't even been tried on the iPad yet. It's worth remembering that the Geekbench score is referenced against a Power Mac G5 @ 1.6GHz, which gets 1000 on their combined test. The iPad 2's score of 721 puts it on a par with desktop computers like a 2005 PowerMac G4. Pretty impressive for a $500 device without a keyboard.

    Source: AnandTech
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPad 2 Benchmarked started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 42 Comments
    1. iSteed's Avatar
      iSteed -
      I feel it baby!!! This is awesome
    1. imilad's Avatar
      imilad -
      Nice!
    1. z3r01's Avatar
      z3r01 -
      Yea it's nice
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I thought it was dual core 1 ghz, not dual 800 MHz
    1. swifty7's Avatar
      swifty7 -
      yeah!! what's up with this 800mhz crap, Apple themselves revealed that the processors ran at 1ghz.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
      yeah!! what's up with this 800mhz crap, Apple themselves revealed that the processors ran at 1ghz.
      Once again Apple intentionally leaves out the fine print. The processor is capable of running at 1ghz, but Apple probably intentionally underclocked it to achieve that 10 hour battery life.
    1. wirehedd's Avatar
      wirehedd -
      I guess the resale value on 2005 G4s just dropped a little.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Very nice indeed!
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Lmao people thought 2 a8s lol apple doesn't let me down
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Love this thing!
    1. Rob2G's Avatar
      Rob2G -
      I want mine now, damn apple gave me a 2-3 week delivery.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      I thought it was dual core 1 ghz, not dual 800 MHz
      Even iPhone 4 is 800Mhz but Apple say 1Ghz, some hackers clocked the i4 speed to 1000mhz and it was a battery drain. So thats why when scrolling I get checkerboards in Safari but not on Android phones :/

      No surprise its 800Mhz Dual Core like i4 is 800Mhz.
    1. obtrunco's Avatar
      obtrunco -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post


      Performance benchmarks run on the iPad 2 underscore what new tablet owners have seen for themselves: Apple wasn't exaggerating when they claimed that the second-generation tablet device is twice as fast is its predecessor. Tests done using common performance tools have shown improvement across the board, with floating point operations many times faster than the original iPad. While we won't know for sure until someone takes a saw to the chip, the results indicate that the A5 is packing dual Cortex-A9s.

      Apple never reveals what's inside its devices, and doesn't publish many specs on performance. This is purely a marketing gambit: Apple's competitors - as well as repair shops and technically adept users - promptly tear apart every device as soon as it's released. With the custom Apple system-on-a-chip (SoC) introduced with the iPhone 4, teardowns have gotten more complex. However, using performance testing software, it's possible to identify what's on the hood with a fair degree of certainty.

      Engadget used Geekbench to benchmark the review iPad 2 they got before it was released, and found that it had 512 MB of RAM a dual-core CPU clocked at 800 MHz. The Geekbench result of 721 was almost twice the original iPad's 375. And Anand Shimpi and his crew at AnandTech have done the most exhaustive benchmarking yet, getting detailed results from Geekbench, Linpack, JavaScript and browser speed tests. The floating point unit on the iPad 2 has 400% better performance than the original iPad, and integer calculations are closer to twice as fast. Memory bandwidth is also much improved, and the increased power shows up in both single- and multi-threaded tasks. Based on the results, Shimpi along with other observers is concluding that the heart of the A5 is a pair of Cortex-A9 cores and a dual-core PowerVR SGX545MP2 graphics coprocessor.

      What this means in the real world is that the iPad 2 gives much faster, smoother performance than the original, and that there's that much more horsepower to do things - like advanced graphics manipulation and video - that haven't even been tried on the iPad yet. It's worth remembering that the Geekbench score is referenced against a Power Mac G5 @ 1.6GHz, which gets 1000 on their combined test. The iPad 2's score of 721 puts it on a par with desktop computers like a 2005 PowerMac G4. Pretty impressive for a $500 device without a keyboard.

      Source: AnandTech
      So it still doesn't exactly run at 1GHz? That's disappointing but I'll probably buy it anyway.
    1. obtrunco's Avatar
      obtrunco -
      Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
      yeah!! what's up with this 800mhz crap, Apple themselves revealed that the processors ran at 1ghz.
      Well Apple said the same thing of iPhone 4.
    1. obtrunco's Avatar
      obtrunco -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      Even iPhone 4 is 800Mhz but Apple say 1Ghz, some hackers clocked the i4 speed to 1000mhz and it was a battery drain. So thats why when scrolling I get checkerboards in Safari but not on Android phones :/

      No surprise its 800Mhz Dual Core like i4 is 800Mhz.
      Yeap.
    1. sknet's Avatar
      sknet -
      what and where can i get the benchmark application they are using?
    1. santacruzlocal's Avatar
      santacruzlocal -
      Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
      what and where can i get the benchmark application they are using?
      I was thinking the same thing !!!
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
      what and where can i get the benchmark application they are using?
      Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
      I was thinking the same thing !!!
      Geekbench 2 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store $0.99

      Gauge Mathematical Tool for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store Free

      BenchTest for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store $0.99

      SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark (web-based test)

      V8 Benchmark Suite Revisions (web-based test)
    1. sknet's Avatar
      sknet -
      thanks man...
    1. iphone?3gs's Avatar
      iphone?3gs -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      Even iPhone 4 is 800Mhz but Apple say 1Ghz, some hackers clocked the i4 speed to 1000mhz and it was a battery drain. So thats why when scrolling I get checkerboards in Safari but not on Android phones :/

      No surprise its 800Mhz Dual Core like i4 is 800Mhz.
      I think that had to do more with RAM than megahertz. Just like you can't keep too many web pages without a few refreshing. It's not like there weren't 800mhz android phones.