• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Six Things About iOS 6 That Will Disappoint Some iOS Users


    Yes, iOS 6 looks pretty new and shiny right now, but donít think for a second that itís perfect. There are some key points that could leave a lot of iOS users unhappy with the update if they don't put some time and consideration into leaving iOS 5 for the beta.

    1. No Jailbreak
    Probably the biggest one: iOS 6 doesnít have a jailbreak yet. If you plan on upgrading, you can kiss your jailbreak goodbye until you either downgrade back to iOS 5, or until a tethered or untethered jailbreak tool is released. It is likely that a tethered jailbreak will be released for A4 devices on iOS 6 beta, however many jailbreak tweaks and Cydia included probably arenít stable enough to run on the new operating system just yet.


    2. App Store App Compatibility Could Take A While
    Some App Store applications could work as expected, but some may try to perform their functions and just crash in iOS 6. Many applications will have to be updated to work with iOS 6ís new features, such as Facebook integration. There are many things in iOS 6 that are not the same as in iOS 4 and iOS 5 that could cause an application to be unstable. It is recommended that you only download applications that have been confirmed to work on iOS 6 to avoid issues that could cause inconveniences.


    3. No Original iPad Support
    The original iPad is not supported by iOS 6. This is extremely unfortunate, and also very odd, since the iPad has an A4 processor like the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G. Yet, the iPhone 3GS, with its outdated processor, still gets the iOS 6 upgrade. Orginal iPad owners will be stuck on iOS 5, unfortunately. The original iPad sold very well, so it puts a good fraction of people at a loss.


    4. No Siri On iPhone 3GS/iPhone 4/iPod touch 4G/iPad 2
    We all wanted Apple to open up Siri capability on all devices. Spire helped prove that all of the iOS 5 devices were capable of running the virtual assistant. She is both fun to play with as she is useful for giving directions and fetching answers to math problems. While Apple was generous enough to bring Siri to the new iPad, there is no technical reason that they couldnít have brought her to at least the iPad 2 and iPhone 4.


    5. Flyover And Turn-By-Turn Navigation For Limited Devices
    This is probably one of the coolest features that iOS 6 will be bringing to the table; the ability to see cities up from above in high definition view, and the ability to turn your Maps application into a fully-functional GPS application that can guide you to your destination with voice as you move forward. Unfortunately, Apple has decided to bottleneck these features to only the iPad 2, the new iPad, and the iPhone 4S. It's probably understandable, considering that these 3-D views demand a bunch of processor and graphics-hungry functions, however it's likely that the iPhone 4 would be capable of rendering them just fine. Unfortunately, if you still use an iPhone 4 (or even an iPhone 3GS), you cannot use turn-by-turn navigation.


    6. Passbook Adds Another Potentially Useless App Icon
    If you werenít a fan of Newsstand in iOS 5, then you probably hid Newsstand from your home screen with a jailbreak tweak like Springtomize 2. Unfortunately, iOS 6 comes with yet another application icon that not too many people are likely going to use. Not everyone likes to associate his or her easy-to-lose iPhone with money and important information. With Passbook, you can use your iPhone to manage your gift cards or airplane tickets. Apple should have known that not every iPhone owner rides airplanes or manages gift cards every single day.

    If there is anything else about iOS 6 that you think could be a disappointment, be sure to let us know and it may end up in our list!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Six Things About iOS 6 That Will Disappoint Some iOS Users started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 136 Comments
    1. ismoothproject's Avatar
      ismoothproject -
      I have iOS 6 on my iPad 3, (yes, I actually paid the $99) and I love it to death. Stop complaining if you haven't tried it for yourself! :P lol
    1. brodimus's Avatar
      brodimus -
      What's to try? Most of the features are already available via Cydia.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      I love the new app store
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Ya hit looks pretty sick.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      If it wasn't for the Maps, iOS6 would be a good upgrade, but apart from the lack of street view, even the satellite view is awful here in the UK.

      A definate retrograde step.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      The maps thing is kinda dumb. I think Google does a good job...
    1. GnatGoSplat's Avatar
      GnatGoSplat -
      Well, maybe now that Google Maps is no longer integrated, perhaps they will be free to come out with their own version as a standalone app that has all the same features as the Android version.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Google's gonna be ticked for one thing though....
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      2 things...
      I am not an idiot.
      I suspect you are wrong,
      because most of or possibly all of us here are idiots.
      (Rokesomesmeefer not being any exception)

      It's possible though, that you are in fact not an idiot, and it's just me.

      I don't like you.
      I'm mostly ambivalent, but I do like your post, for some reason.

      Have a nice day
      I'll try to.
      thanks

      (actually.... wait. That's three things you said, not two.)
    1. ismoothproject's Avatar
      ismoothproject -
      Okay, this person knows what they're talking about. iOS is so usable without a jailbreak. I use ISSH for my terminal, and I do lots of other things that I never thought I could do with a normal iPhone. iOS 6 just makes it better. The 3-D maps are astonishing, I love flying around and seeing turn by turn directions. I finally now have Siri on my iPad, which is so helpful because I do not have an iPhone 4S. I am even having Siri dictate this for me, which gets every word perfect.

      I think Apple has done a fabulous job with iOS, and I can't wait to see the final version!

      Quote Originally Posted by Loxs View Post
      Really? to anyone? I don't even jailbreak anymore haven't done since the release of iOS5. My phone is much more stable for it as well. I don't need custom themes to make my phone look "cool" or make it more "usable", alot of people i know have also stopped jailbreaking as there just isn't that much need for it. The only thing I did find handy was infinifolders. I barely used anything else from Cydia.
      And about the maps, the beta version does not currently have street view, (will be in final release) and the satellite images have not been processed by apple yet for optimum clarity and quality.

      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      If it wasn't for the Maps, iOS6 would be a good upgrade, but apart from the lack of street view, even the satellite view is awful here in the UK.

      A definate retrograde step.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      I suspect you are wrong,
      because most of or possibly all of us here are idiots.
      (Rokesomesmeefer not being any exception)

      It's possible though, that you are in fact not an idiot, and it's just me.


      I'm mostly ambivalent, but I do like your post, for some reason.


      I'll try to.
      thanks

      (actually.... wait. That's three things you said, not two.)

      Every time you post I have to read.
      I've always liked you raduga
      And yes it was 3 things not two.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by ismoothproject View Post
      And about the maps, the beta version does not currently have street view, (will be in final release) and the satellite images have not been processed by apple yet for optimum clarity and quality.
      Source? If that is the case, I will be a happy bunny.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
      How crazy is it we'll be able to tweet and update Facebook from the Notification Center but NOT send a text?
      Yah that is kinda dumb. Glad they added Facebook though.
    1. djetlab's Avatar
      djetlab -
      Quote Originally Posted by emmanravalo View Post
      I'm sad that there is no Siri on the iPad 2 they run the say chip as the iphone 4s
      and Passbook might be useful for some. unlike the newsstand. not everyone like magazine or newspaper on a small screen (maybe on ipad)

      I hate when they preview it this early when they are gonna release it on fall then the iPhone 5 came out.
      umm... nice points except for the fact that ipad 2 and iphone 4s do not have the same damn chip, you have an a4 chip, iphone 4s has an a5 chip.

      Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
      Why is # 1 even being listed? iOS 6 was barely announced today.
      It was actually announced to most ios developers in june and they had already figured out a way to jailbreak the beta version of ios 6 on iphone 4s and other devices.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Quote Originally Posted by djetlab View Post
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]No thats kinda useless cuz witht he beta all beta testers that apps and such can test them and get them working and so they can have their sh!t up and running in no time after the actual release of ios 6, and anyone that has things like packages on cydia can work on them and get ahead into making new **** for ios6, so your point is invalid, that would slow everyone down if they had to wait for the release of ios 6.

      I'm talking about like regular users that aren't devs using it. No point for them since nothing works really. But my real point is, now they'll have to find a new exploit for iOS 6 since they and Apple already know what it is (and from what I've heard, it can be patched by Apple in no time) so it would still be slowing things down. There was a chance Apple could find it by themselves, but hey, Apple could just leave it hanging there and not even know it existed. Remember how long it took for them to get a jailbreak for 5.1.1? We don't want that again, which is my main point. I'd rather have the devs be a little late on updating their packages, rather than waiting weeks or months for the Dev Team to find a new exploit so we could actually jailbreak, wouldn't you?
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      The exploit had already been burnt. Nothing new here folks.
    1. djetlab's Avatar
      djetlab -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      3 other people already corrected him/her.

      And even though they did jailbreak iOS 6, there's almost no point to it since there's not much compatible with it. They should've just left the exploit alone and waited for Apple to release the full version of iOS 6, then we could have possibly had a jailbreak if they didn't discover the exploit first.

      I'm talking about like regular users that aren't devs using it. No point for them since nothing works really. But my real point is, now they'll have to find a new exploit for iOS 6 since they and Apple already know what it is (and from what I've heard, it can be patched by Apple in no time) so it would still be slowing things down. There was a chance Apple could find it by themselves, but hey, Apple could just leave it hanging there and not even know it existed. Remember how long it took for them to get a jailbreak for 5.1.1? We don't want that again, which is my main point. I'd rather have the devs be a little late on updating their packages, rather than waiting weeks or months for the Dev Team to find a new exploit so we could actually jailbreak, wouldn't you?
      True, it is not much for a regular user to have, but they can still enjoy the new look and what not on their device, and yes it is true that apple can easily change their ios security in no time but also it doesn't take more then a month for the people working at greensn0w and other jailbreak tools to have the full untethered jailbreak on every single apple device, i mean once they get it on an a4 device then all a4 devices are good to go, then they work on the a5 devices and once they hop over that they are good to put it on all a5 devices, and the thing is cydia and apple would never work together, i mean for the most basic example, the word cydia is a type of worm that like basically eats out and destroys apples, I'm sure with that kinda name your not exactly friends with apple, but you do have good points about 5.1.1, but they also didn't know what to expect in the software, this time they have a beta and that gets them pretty far ahead in waht they need to do next after the release of the full ios 6 with whatever other changes apple throws into it.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Yes, but remember, security isn't much of a priority in Apple's beta releases. So Apple could not give a crap about it in beta, and then they realize it's there, and then in the final release they end up patching it. They wouldn't even need the Dev Team to find it, they could just patch it. I don't blame them at all for trying to get an early start on it since Apple enjoys surprising us with new updates, but yet again, the Dev Team could find an exploit, and Apple never knew, but they end up patching it in the final release. It would end up being a total waste in the end. If they go ahead and find multiple exploits, go Dev Team! But Apple could just surprise them and patch it up, which is why it takes a bit for them to jailbreak stuff. It took no time for 5.0.1, but 5.1.1, that was a whole different story. You bring an excellent point that it's a good idea to get a head start, but Apple could surprise them at any moment. But yes, in the end it is worth it to search for exploits in case Apple doesn't patch them first.
    1. djetlab's Avatar
      djetlab -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      Yes, but remember, security isn't much of a priority in Apple's beta releases. So Apple could not give a crap about it in beta, and then they realize it's there, and then in the final release they end up patching it. They wouldn't even need the Dev Team to find it, they could just patch it. I don't blame them at all for trying to get an early start on it since Apple enjoys surprising us with new updates, but yet again, the Dev Team could find an exploit, and Apple never knew, but they end up patching it in the final release. It would end up being a total waste in the end. If they go ahead and find multiple exploits, go Dev Team! But Apple could just surprise them and patch it up, which is why it takes a bit for them to jailbreak stuff. It took no time for 5.0.1, but 5.1.1, that was a whole different story. You bring an excellent point that it's a good idea to get a head start, but Apple could surprise them at any moment. But yes, in the end it is worth it to search for exploits in case Apple doesn't patch them first.
      \

      I mean yea thats true we both have valid points all around so i guess we can just wait and see what apple does, i don't feel like their are trying to shut cydia down for good but i do see that they aren't liking the fact that more people are going over to cydia for help and finding them better rather than going to apple because apple only does changes to their ios a couple times a year until the next ios gets out, so people can easily go to a cydia developer and request minor changes in the interface and even behind the scenes to help make our lives easier and in some huge ways, better.
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      I agree, I don't think Apple wants to completely shut Cydia down. But if you can remember, Apple wanted jailbreaking to become against the law, so maybe they have wanted to kill it. But if it wasn't for jailbreak, Apple wouldn't have as nearly as much stuff on there like Notification Center and other jailbreak inhabited addons. I think the one and almost only reason Apple wants to block jailbreaks is because of piracy. People jailbreak just so they can get free apps, which is not the intent of jailbreaking. If piracy didn't exist and saurik was able to shut down all the piracy, I think Apple would be lighter on jailbreaking. But saurik is not superman, and many of the piracy repos are hosted in other countries that don't care about piracy in any way. So there's not much of a way to stop it. It's just my stance on it though. Devs as well as Apple lose tons of money each day from piracy, and that ticks them off I'm sure.

      If Apple paid more attention to the jailbreak scene and what it has to offer, they would dominate the world in mobile phone OS. End of story.