• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Ultrabooks Said to be “Too Pricey” When Compared to Apple’s MacBook Air


    According to Brian J. White of Topeka Capital Markets, the next-generation lineup of computers based on Intel’s thin and portable Ultrabook specification are not as impressive as they seemed. In a note to investors he recently wrote the following: “our checks thus far indicate that the price points for the new releases will be well over the $699 price threshold we deem necessary for this new category to be a big success.”

    At the Computex show in Taipei, Taiwan, a new Gigabyte-branded Ultrabook with an 11-inch screen and a carbon fiber exterior was priced at a range between $999 and $1,299. Other companies such as Acer and Asustek also showed off what many would consider an “attractive” Ultrabook model but in the end, it didn’t really matter. The reason it didn’t matter was because the price point was too close to that of a MacBook and many would prefer to just stick to buying a MacBook Air instead. “In our view, if consumers are not getting a significant discount for a Windows-based Ultrabook, they will simply opt for the best and play $999 for Apple’s MacBook Air.”

    For those of you who didn’t already know, the Ultrabook specifications were inspired by the success of Apple’s MacBook Air, which relies largely on solid-state storage and lacks an optical drive to offer both a think and sleek design along with long battery life. While companies gear towards making Ultrabooks, Apple is gearing up to utilize Intel’s latest-generation ultra-low voltage Ivy Bridge processors.

    The Ultrabook wasn’t the only thing commented on here. White also gave his thoughts on Windows 8 stating the following: “The look, feel and functionality of Windows 8 is certainly an upgrade from Windows 7 and should be a successful launch this October. However, we still believe the Apple digital grid (or ecosystem) remains the most closely integrated and intuitive in the world.”

    Regardless of what is said though, time will tell how Apple’s MacBook Air will stack up against Intel’s Ultrabooks.

    Source: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Ultrabooks Said to be “Too Pricey” When Compared to Apple’s MacBook Air started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 20 Comments
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      How is this news now? This has been common knowledge for a while now. To add on top of that, are the direct clones which are being made (ex - acer aspire etc) to compete with the Macbook air for almost the same price if not higher.
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      I don't see why they would opt for a mac book if they are the same price range. Windows already has the dominant market share, what would cause a predominantly windows user to switch to a mac if they are similarly priced?
    1. ByteArt's Avatar
      ByteArt -
      Well, Apples PC market share has been growing and all other major PC manufacterurs have lost market share, so someone must be buying apps computers right? Also, Apple is considered premium, which is why all their products usually cost more then their competitors, so if they are all at the same price point, then Apple gets an advantage.
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      I don't see why they would opt for a mac book if they are the same price range. Windows already has the dominant market share, what would cause a predominantly windows user to switch to a mac if they are similarly priced?
      I think most windows users are not windows users as a choice... it's what the affordable PC comes with. So now if you get a choice of trying a new OS with a safety net of being able to still run windows... well that's a pretty good choice IMO.
    1. Ivanp06's Avatar
      Ivanp06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      I don't see why they would opt for a mac book if they are the same price range. Windows already has the dominant market share, what would cause a predominantly windows user to switch to a mac if they are similarly priced?
      What made me switch was the frustration windows caused me, slow in general compared to osx and believe me my computer was not a cheap 500 pc, it was built for multitasking performance. And I kept it clean too, I even reinstalled windows every 6 months because it started feeling sluggish after those 6 months.

      Let's not mention infinite windows security updates :/ they take forever sometimes if you just want to shut down your computer.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      I think most windows users are not windows users as a choice... it's what the affordable PC comes with. So now if you get a choice of trying a new OS with a safety net of being able to still run windows... well that's a pretty good choice IMO.
      Exactly, it's because people can afford it. That is why PC's became popular in the first place. Mac's are just simply much nicer to use, granted if you gave it a chance and properly used it for a couple of hours, you would come to the same conclusion. People argue that mac's have less features and potential than windows, which is not true. Mac has some of the most powerful software out there, especially for professionals in the video/movie industry. *(Ever see a mac in your favorite tv show or movie? Why is that?)* Even for gaming, PC fans would say mac doesn't have any games to play, when in reality it has almost every game the PC has. If it doesn't you can use a program called crossover or wine to allow PC apps/games to work on your Mac. On top of that you can even dualboot windows on your mac. So it's a win-win.

      Quote Originally Posted by Ivanp06 View Post
      What made me switch was the frustration windows caused me, slow in general compared to osx and believe me my computer was not a cheap 500 pc, it was built for multitasking performance. And I kept it clean too, I even reinstalled windows every 6 months because it started feeling sluggish after those 6 months.

      Let's not mention infinite windows security updates :/ they take forever sometimes if you just want to shut down your computer.
      So true! I have used several PC desktops/laptops throughout my life, some of them quite expensive and speced out. They always end up getting slow after a couple of months. Like you, I always reinstalled windows every couple months and kept it in great condition. Even the battery started losing it's power after a 7-12 months. I don't know why this happens with PC's, but with Mac's they are 10x more efficient and reliable, not to mention they keep their market value for long periods of time so you could easily sell and upgrade if you wanted to, for little cost.
      People's major beef with Apple's mac computer line, is that they are expensive and often assume they are worthless and irrelevant. This is where they start claiming PC's are better, SOLELY due to the price range they come in, or if gamers claim they need "customizable hardware" to play their little games. When in reality, if you were to get a PC with close/exact specs to a macbook/air, it would cost just as much if not more. (Battery life/Quality of hardware/Weight/Features of hardware/etc)
      I've seen some articles claiming that Mac's last much longer than PC's, if comparably tested over time. So essentially you could buy 2-3 PC's, while your first mac is still functioning perfectly.
    1. anekin007's Avatar
      anekin007 -
      Is it fear I smell? I love my iphone but the apple brand is starting to be just a fashion trend. I see kids today with their mbp/mba and the only thing they do on it is go on the internet and facebook. Its becoming a expensive fashion statement. A computer is as good as the user. I been a PC user for a very long time. If you dont go on porn sites or download illegal crap or site you dont even need a antivirus. If your computer slows down you probably installed a bunch of crap that doesnt need to be installed. I like my PC because I can upgrade and change my own parts for dirt cheap compared to what manufacture charges. I have my choice of what parts I want in it.

      My wife owns a 2011 13" MBA. Cost $1300 and today only goes for $600-$700. I wish I could get rid of it for more. The thing over heats and lags to boot up from stand by. I took it to the apple store and they wont do crap. I call it a $1300 paper weight and all she uses it for is the internet.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      I used both PC and Mac at work and enjoy the experiences of both OS's. Each offers its own unique take on how an OS should function and get you what you need and want. Its all about preference. If one was better than the other in why would there even be another? Wouldn't people go with the "better" one? All this Apple vs Microsoft stuff is old and should be put to rest by now. Neither company is going anywhere and both will continue to pump out technology that we will all utilize at some point. I mean all of the business applications I use on my Mac are made by Microsoft..they both lean on each other and compliment each other. Happy arguing haha!
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat? View Post
      LMAO yeah don't flatter yourself, Windows users choose PC because we actually like having an OS that is compatible with EVERYTHING! Why do you think you Crapple users always boast about how you can "run windows" on your crapple Crapple just knows they can charge more for their desktops because SIMPLE PEOPLE rely on SIMPLE COMPUTERS like MAC so they will pay whatever price just so they can have something that is SIMPLE for them to use.



      Oh brother, don't try blaming your USER ERROR on Windows. Just because you don't know how to setup your PC doesn't mean that's Windows fault. Any smart person knows that when you buy a new PC that the first thing you do is take it home and FORMAT AND REINSTALL WINDOWS! How could anyone expect Windows to perform properly with all that bullcrap bloatware on there. It's not Windows fault that manufacturers load all that garbage bloatware on new PC's. But then again that's why most smart people just BUILD their own PC rather than waste money on buying an off the shelf PC. But see Mac users wouldn't know nothing about being able to BUILD THEIR OWN SYSTEM cause you guys don't have those kinda options
      Wow. You said a lot. You do realize that this is an apple forum right? People are going to be Mac fans here for the most part. As for all your "smart people" comments, are we to assume that you are "smart"?
      Now Windows is a very popular and fairly good OS. But it is not compatible with everything as you claim. It's iPhone compatibility is dismal at best. But I know it's not windows fault. It's the program's. And, you can't deny that OSX is a far more stable OS. It's just a fact. The unix kernel is a very stable platform. Just realize that this IS an apple forum, and just because people use macs doesn't mean they're stupid.
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      I don't see why they would opt for a mac book if they are the same price range. Windows already has the dominant market share, what would cause a predominantly windows user to switch to a mac if they are similarly priced?
      Simply put, once Windows 8 comes out, Windows users are going to be faced with the following choice:
      Learn a completely new OS (Windows 8)
      or
      Learn a completely new OS (OS X)

      The advantage that OS X has it that it has been out for years and there will be a lot more people around that can help out with it. Also, OS X upgrades generally do not require new hardware (after a while it will, but you usually get at least 4-5 upgrades before this happens).


      For the longest time, everyone has been complaining about Macs being more expensive. Am I the only one that finds it funny that now price is going the other way?
    1. mori's Avatar
      mori -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      Simply put, once Windows 8 comes out, Windows users are going to be faced with the following choice:
      Learn a completely new OS (Windows 8)
      or
      Learn a completely new OS (OS X)

      The advantage that OS X has it that it has been out for years and there will be a lot more people around that can help out with it. Also, OS X upgrades generally do not require new hardware (after a while it will, but you usually get at least 4-5 upgrades before this happens).


      For the longest time, everyone has been complaining about Macs being more expensive. Am I the only one that finds it funny that now price is going the other way?
      I have them both, a pc i built myself and an 27" imac, as well im deep into the apple ecosystem (iphone/ipad/appletv/apple router) and sure im more used to the pc and i can do what ever with my pc but guess what, i can also doit on my mac, actually all the games i have on my pc are on my mac and i switch in between them and i see no difference, even more, my itunes on my pc its a slow as frozen penutbutter, on my imac it just works

      i like the lil things of my mac, like swipe a finger on the mouth and it will send my browser back, lil things like that makes it better for me, again i like it both , but im with someone here that said people like PC as well cause they are the cheapest, heck u can get a laptop or pc for as lil as 200$if not 400$ u never be able to get a mac for that ammount,, and there its nothing wrong with that, if you cant afford a higher sticker price, but want a pc sure go get that 200-400$ one, but just cause MOST people cant afford a mac doesnt make it a bad pc
    1. Darkflame's Avatar
      Darkflame -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      Simply put, once Windows 8 comes out, Windows users are going to be faced with the following choice:
      Learn a completely new OS (Windows 8)
      or
      Learn a completely new OS (OS X)

      The advantage that OS X has it that it has been out for years and there will be a lot more people around that can help out with it. Also, OS X upgrades generally do not require new hardware (after a while it will, but you usually get at least 4-5 upgrades before this happens).


      For the longest time, everyone has been complaining about Macs being more expensive. Am I the only one that finds it funny that now price is going the other way?
      That probably has to do with how the apple eco system works. Constantly push out minute updates with big wow and Steve-esque fanfare vs. The Bill Gates Nerdalizing massive update changearounds that leave people forever dumbfounded.

      I'd take a apocalyptic world over a walled eden any day. What good is living if you're living by someone elses rules.
    1. THEInternetExplorer's Avatar
      THEInternetExplorer -
      Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat? View Post
      LMAO yeah don't flatter yourself, Windows users choose PC because we actually like having an OS that is compatible with EVERYTHING! Why do you think you Crapple users always boast about how you can "run windows" on your crapple Crapple just knows they can charge more for their desktops because SIMPLE PEOPLE rely on SIMPLE COMPUTERS like MAC so they will pay whatever price just so they can have something that is SIMPLE for them to use.



      Oh brother, don't try blaming your USER ERROR on Windows. Just because you don't know how to setup your PC doesn't mean that's Windows fault. Any smart person knows that when you buy a new PC that the first thing you do is take it home and FORMAT AND REINSTALL WINDOWS! How could anyone expect Windows to perform properly with all that bullcrap bloatware on there. It's not Windows fault that manufacturers load all that garbage bloatware on new PC's. But then again that's why most smart people just BUILD their own PC rather than waste money on buying an off the shelf PC. But see Mac users wouldn't know nothing about being able to BUILD THEIR OWN SYSTEM cause you guys don't have those kinda options
      I used windows for ever before I bought my MacBook pro in 06...so with that,

      I didn't know everyone knew that the first thing you do to a brand new computer is format and reinstall.
      Heck, I don't even think every windows user knows how to format their hard drive.
      Why should one have to format and reinstall windows every 6 months?

      Anyways, my MacBook still runs like new (who here has a 6 year old laptop???). And it has a bunch of useless programs installed that I hardly use, yet it is still there working how it should out of the box. Before that I went through 2 desktop pc's and one windows laptop.

      Windows 7 is fine, I use it at work, but I don't ever see myself going back to windows.
      Just my opinion.
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Exactly, it's because people can afford it. That is why PC's became popular in the first place. Mac's are just simply much nicer to use, granted if you gave it a chance and properly used it for a couple of hours, you would come to the same conclusion. People argue that mac's have less features and potential than windows, which is not true. Mac has some of the most powerful software out there, especially for professionals in the video/movie industry. *(Ever see a mac in your favorite tv show or movie? Why is that?)* Even for gaming, PC fans would say mac doesn't have any games to play, when in reality it has almost every game the PC has. If it doesn't you can use a program called crossover or wine to allow PC apps/games to work on your Mac. On top of that you can even dualboot windows on your mac. So it's a win-win.
      Meh, their not really nicer, maybe a bit easier to use. So yes it might be a bit easier to use than Windows, but I know many people who like the advanced features of Windows. It's a lot easier on windows to get inside and make changes to fit your liking. And yes, more software is compatible with windows, most users are not going to be using high end video software. It really just boils down to what you want to use it for. A lot of it is usability vs availability. And of course, computers with windows are generally cheaper. I got a laptop just as good as an imac with a better graphics chip for $850.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat? View Post
      LMAO yeah don't flatter yourself, Windows users choose PC because we actually like having an OS that is compatible with EVERYTHING! Why do you think you Crapple users always boast about how you can "run windows" on your crapple Crapple just knows they can charge more for their desktops because SIMPLE PEOPLE rely on SIMPLE COMPUTERS like MAC so they will pay whatever price just so they can have something that is SIMPLE for them to use.



      Oh brother, don't try blaming your USER ERROR on Windows. Just because you don't know how to setup your PC doesn't mean that's Windows fault. Any smart person knows that when you buy a new PC that the first thing you do is take it home and FORMAT AND REINSTALL WINDOWS! How could anyone expect Windows to perform properly with all that bullcrap bloatware on there. It's not Windows fault that manufacturers load all that garbage bloatware on new PC's. But then again that's why most smart people just BUILD their own PC rather than waste money on buying an off the shelf PC. But see Mac users wouldn't know nothing about being able to BUILD THEIR OWN SYSTEM cause you guys don't have those kinda options

      Thank you for your insightful stupid post, captain obvious. I am a IT major, and I can bet you $1000 right now, that I have been using windows AND mac longer than you have. I know the plus/minuses for both systems, and I know how to use them quite well. You don't need to format or reinstall windows when you get a new computer. Why? Formatting is usually used for a new hard drive to later avoid errors. Secondly, it is used after a long time of usage (when it starts becoming slow/tons of space used.) You say windows is compatible with everything? "Don't flatter yourself." That is a clownish comment, because at this moment, mac pretty much has either the same programs or better alternatives. Like I said before, you can use crossover/wine to use pretty much any windows software on mac if needed. "Don't try to blame windows?" Really? I clearly wrote I took good care of my PC and reinstalled windows every couple of months. Mac is 10x more efficient and stable than the windows platform. Go back to school.

      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      Meh, their not really nicer, maybe a bit easier to use. So yes it might be a bit easier to use than Windows, but I know many people who like the advanced features of Windows. It's a lot easier on windows to get inside and make changes to fit your liking. And yes, more software is compatible with windows, most users are not going to be using high end video software. It really just boils down to what you want to use it for. A lot of it is usability vs availability. And of course, computers with windows are generally cheaper. I got a laptop just as good as an imac with a better graphics chip for $850.
      Easier to use, and overall much more convenient. The UI is just gorgeous, and much more intuitive than the windows platform. "Advanced features of windows?" Care to explain? Last I checked, mac had every single feature that windows has, plus much more. Also I wouldn't necessarily say its much easier to get inside a PC than it is in a mac... If you are using a mac pro for example, just take out the desktop hood like you would with any PC, and replace ram or whatever you want like normal.... It's the same exact process. If you are trying to compare a desktop with a mac laptop, that is a completely different thing. All laptops are harder to get into than desktops. Now I understand you said "iMac," now please understand that is a completely different type of desktop (all in one), many PC manufacturers have done the same and are just as difficult to get into....
      I am glad you got a cheaper laptop, but you cannot compare it with a desktop (iMac). If it was a similar comparison between the macbook pro, that would be a different story. Because then you take the size/weight/battery life/stability/similar hardware specs/features/design into account. You cannot do that with a laptop vs desktop comparison.
    1. i.Annie's Avatar
      i.Annie -
      Hm yes, I wish those kids would stop getting MacBooks making it a fashion trend. It makes me and everyone else who legitimately like MacBooks and the OS look like we have MacBooks for that reason.

      I am really curious though, I would like to see the Ultrabooks be priced the same as MacBooks. I wonder if the sales of Ultrabooks would decrease and the sales of MacBook would increase.

      A lot of my friends marvel at my MacBook Air, saying how thin it is and how light it is and how crisp and clear the screen is. I ask them why they don't buy one, and they say they think it's too expensive. I have never had anybody say it's because they love Windows so much and OS X is too difficult to use. They always say they want a Mac, they wish they could buy a Mac, but they just can't afford it right now. So I'm really curious if it's really about the OS or the price at this point for the general consumer. For more tech-savvy people, the disagreement with Windows vs. OS X is more obvious and well argued, but most people look at the price of a machine.
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Easier to use, and overall much more convenient. The UI is just gorgeous, and much more intuitive than the windows platform.
      Well that's just an opinion there. I agree most people may find macs a bit easier to use at first, but once you spend a week or two with both, neither are hard to navigate the features the average person uses. And personally I find the Windows look much nicer.

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      "Advanced features of windows?" Care to explain? Last I checked, mac had every single feature that windows has, plus much more.
      Well I have never owned a Mac myself so I am going off of what other people said. But, on Windows, I know of many different tools that come with it and free tools on the internet that let me change advanced things. Unless people I know who have macs have just never dug deep enough, they haven't said it was easy to change advanced things on a Mac.

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Also I wouldn't necessarily say its much easier to get inside a PC than it is in a mac... If you are using a mac pro for example, just take out the desktop hood like you would with any PC, and replace ram or whatever you want like normal.... It's the same exact process.
      What I meant to say was software-wise, to do things more intertwined with the OS. Again referring to people I know.

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      If you are trying to compare a desktop with a mac laptop, that is a completely different thing. All laptops are harder to get into than desktops. Now I understand you said "iMac," now please understand that is a completely different type of desktop (all in one), many PC manufacturers have done the same and are just as difficult to get into....
      Well I was comparing it to a mac because desktops usually have better specs anyway. But since you asked (sort of)...

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      I am glad you got a cheaper laptop, but you cannot compare it with a desktop (iMac). If it was a similar comparison between the macbook pro, that would be a different story. Because then you take the size/weight/battery life/stability/similar hardware specs/features/design into account. You cannot do that with a laptop vs desktop comparison.
      I set up a $1,900 dollar Macbook Pro on Apple's website. The differences are
      My Laptop Mac Book Pro
      2GHz quad-core i7 2.2GHz quad-core i7
      6BG of RAM 4GB of RAM
      500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive 500GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
      1920px by 1070px 15-inch display 1680px by 1050px 15-inch display
      NVIDIA GeFoce GTX 460M with 1.5GB Video RAM AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB Video RAM
      2 year hardware warranty with full phone support and 1 year accidental damage warranty 1 Year hardware warranty (I believe 90 day phone support)
      7 hours battery life About 3 hours battery life

      The only differences are a slightly better processor and better battery life (doesn't really matter for me as I keep it plugged in most of the time). All of these other specs are better on mine and it is more than $1,000 cheaper.
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      I think most windows users are not windows users as a choice... it's what the affordable PC comes with. So now if you get a choice of trying a new OS with a safety net of being able to still run windows... well that's a pretty good choice IMO.
      So much is wrong with that comment.
      Maybe a few windows users would rather use OSX. I for one enjoy my ground built, unstoppable gaming machine. Being able to run all/most software on the market is good. Try out Windows 7- tell me why OSx is better than it in ANY way. It isn't- except security and I have never gotten a virus once in my life. You are very wrong, fanboy.
    1. THEInternetExplorer's Avatar
      THEInternetExplorer -
      Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat? View Post
      BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT Major. I've been running my own computer business for over 6 years now and I never had to spend a day in a classroom. This is why I don't hire dumb bookworms like you because all you know is what some moron teacher with outdated curriculum taught you!

      Formatting is used to later avoid errors??? BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHA I'm gonna take a screen shot and post that up on my forum so all the 335,000+ members can have a good laugh. Such a tool



      Don't even bother yourself bro. It's like the other guy said earlier "this is a crapple forum" so obviously you can't speak the truth without these fanboys getting all butt hurt. It's like trying to tell a fat girl shes FAT when all she wants to do is argue that shes BIG BONED

      Like I said earlier, I just find it amusing how all crapple owners claim their crapple is so great yet at the same time they ALWAYS have to bring up the fact that they run Windows on their mac. It's like well if your POS MAC does EVERYTHING then WHY DO YOU NEED TO USE WINDOWS???? I can run MAC OS on my PC also but I have absolutely NO USE FOR IT!! Funny how MOST MAC users can't say the same thing about Windows!
      May I ask what you do??? Sales and repairs??? Or just sales???
      If it is both, now we now why you promote windows. If a customer comes in with a computer with a virus, do you tell them it was user error. Do you tell them to format the hard drive on their new computer?

      Do you own an iPhone, maybe that's why you are here??? Or you just hate (crapple) so much that you want to waste your time and energy arguing about which is better??? I won't go to a ford forum to ask about Chevy!!!!

      And what truth is it that you speak of? How did you come to these conclusions? Please enlighten me.
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by THEInternetExplorer View Post
      May I ask what you do??? Sales and repairs??? Or just sales???
      If it is both, now we now why you promote windows. If a customer comes in with a computer with a virus, do you tell them it was user error. Do you tell them to format the hard drive on their new computer?

      Do you own an iPhone, maybe that's why you are here??? Or you just hate (crapple) so much that you want to waste your time and energy arguing about which is better??? I won't go to a ford forum to ask about Chevy!!!!

      And what truth is it that you speak of? How did you come to these conclusions? Please enlighten me.
      I have to agree with him though that being an IT person doesn't mean much. The IT people at my school are clueless. It really depends on your quality of work.