Apple and Samsung Expected to Control 52% of Smartphone Sales Through 2013
In a recent note to investors, analyst Michael Walkley of Canaccord Genuity said that he sees Apple accounting for 21% of smartphone sales in 2013, with a total iPhone unit sales of 204.1 million. Samsung is projected to have a 31.3% share in 2013 on sales of 304.4 million smartphones. Together that would place Apple and Samsung in control of 52.3% of the total global smartphone market. This leads to an improvement from the 49.7% both companies are expected to control through the end of calendar 2012.
It was also noted that as of May 1, Apple and Samsung combined for a total of 47.6% of smartphone unit shares worldwide. He believes despite the two companies controlling less than half the market, the two ended up accounting for a whopping 99% of industry profits. In fact, Apple was found earning 73% of mobile industry profits with just an 8.8% total share of the market.
Walkley revealed that in the month of May, Apple’s iPhone 4S was the top selling smartphone in all three major carriers where it was available in the U.S: AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. It wasn’t just the month of May though, the iPhone 4S has been the top selling smartphone at all three carriers throughout 2012 so far.
As of right now, it seems that both Apple and Samsung continue their duopoly of the market with no competitor being able to dethrone the two of their high percent share of the market.