• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Cook Reveals What S in 4S Means, Dances Around Apple HDTV Questions at D10 Conference



    Tim Cook spoke with Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher at D10 tonight in California, and number interesting tidbits came up regarding Facebook, Apple TV sales, and the future of Siri.

    Cook hinted during the interview that Apple would continue to improve Siri claiming Apple has a large number of people working on it and that he thinks people “are going to be really pleased with where we take Siri.” Cook also revealed that the S inf the iPhone 4S stands for Siri, which could just as easily have stood for speed, but whatever he’s the boss.

    The interview at D10 turned toward Facebook as well as Mossberg and Swisher asked Cook about the future of Facebook integration especially considering how intertwined Twitter currently is into iOS. Cook responded with a “stay tuned,” possibly hinting at iOS 6’s integration with Facebook, heck even the iOS 4 beta had some Facebook integration before Apple scrapped in the final release.

    Cook noted on stage that Apple has sold 2.7 million Apple TVs in the first few months of this year, nearly surpassing last year’s total of 3 million. Cook also echoed Steve Jobs' comments that the Apple TV is uncharacteristic of Apple since they’re not particularly a “hobby” company, but he did mention that “this is an area of intense interest for us.” Cook of course danced around questions directly asking him about Apple’s plans in the TV market. Cook simply said Apple is always look to control the “key technology” and “make a significant contribution beyond what others have done in this area.”

    While Cook revealed no real details, reading between the lines it’s easy to surmise Apple has big plans in the TV sector and it is only a matter of time until they reveal to the rest of the world whatever Cupertino has been cooking up.

    Source: 9to5Mac, The Verge
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cook Reveals What S in 4S Means, Dances Around Apple HDTV Questions at D10 Conference started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 19 Comments
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Nice interview, I can't wait to see the new features iOS 6 will bring.

      By the way, Phillip, in the 3rd paragraph is says "Cookabout" instead of "Cook about"
    1. Phillip Swanson's Avatar
      Phillip Swanson -
      Haha fixed!
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      noobs its actually supposed to talk about a "cook out"
    1. frail1's Avatar
      frail1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
      Nice interview, I can't wait to see the new features iOS 6 will bring.

      By the way, Phillip, in the 3rd paragraph is says "Cookabout" instead of "Cook about"
      All the typographical errors and you point out that one?
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      It was the most obvious one
    1. flash66's Avatar
      flash66 -
      Last I heard, these guys do not get paid to prepare any editorial for your reading pleasure. Lastly, no editors or any staff proofing any article prior to release. So, missed punctuation, typos etc should be overlooked. You guys remind me of my over critical high school teacher some 15 years ago. Seriously!
    1. stellan0r's Avatar
      stellan0r -
      they should have asked him about a new mac pro
    1. hank197857's Avatar
      hank197857 -
      actually, the grammatical errors found here are atrocious. maybe an editor should be hired. i nominate annie. ... and maybe people should pay more attention to their high school teachers. for such a "high-techy" column, the dumbing down of this country is all too apparent in these few pages.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
      Last I heard, these guys do not get paid to prepare any editorial for your reading pleasure. Lastly, no editors or any staff proofing any article prior to release. So, missed punctuation, typos etc should be overlooked. You guys remind me of my over critical high school teacher some 15 years ago. Seriously!
      If I visit a respectable, popular website, I expect a certain level of professionalism and pride in the authors work, and the site in general. I see a ad on every page, and the site/app also asks you to pay them money if you don't want to see these ads. I might not be a paying customer, but I do see all their ads, and provide traffic for their site, as does everyone else here. This is not a charity, or public service, it's a business.....Maybe they should start treating it like one.

      Oh, and ya, cool interview....And number interesting tidbits came up, so thats cool....I think.
    1. Jbrooks424's Avatar
      Jbrooks424 -
      Wow you guys are assholes! You REALLY just came to an arrival about the iPhone4S, and the "itv" to ripen phill about his grammar mistakes? WTF! If ou don't like it, then LEAVE THE SITE! ..Anyway... I donttink apple will release the itv" because, unlikesmartphones, and computers, people don't really get new televisions that often, if they did, though, sales would probably be disappointing.
    1. Wicrowe's Avatar
      Wicrowe -
      So what does the S stand for in the 3GS, Tim?
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wicrowe View Post
      So what does the S stand for in the 3GS, Tim?
      Steve...
    1. dalopez87's Avatar
      dalopez87 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      If I visit a respectable, popular website, I expect a certain level of professionalism and pride in the authors work, and the site in general. I see a ad on every page, and the site/app also asks you to pay them money if you don't want to see these ads. I might not be a paying customer, but I do see all their ads, and provide traffic for their site, as does everyone else here. This is not a charity, or public service, it's a business.....Maybe they should start treating it like one.

      Oh, and ya, cool interview....And number interesting tidbits came up, so thats cool....I think.
      You should be thankfull for the information you're learning, we are here to learn about Apple, and jailbreak in general, not to correct the editor's grammatical errors. Get a life and write your own articles if you feel like the articles posted here, at modmyi, are too unprofessional.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      haha! Article is about tech and the blog is about punctuation haha! Anywho..Apple is evidently producing a TV for us..FINALLY>question is now cost? Im sure Siri will be the biggest selling point for obvious reasons. Lets hope it is out of beta by then and actually serves a real purpose besides texting while im driving haha!
    1. ensigma's Avatar
      ensigma -
      The S in 4S stands for Siri?
      It sounds like he just ran out of things to say. I'm willing to bet that all future iDevice released with Siri isn't going to have the S suffix.
    1. budsalinger's Avatar
      budsalinger -
      I don't believe him. The S follows suit with the 3g --> 3gs. we all know that whatever the S in 3gs stands for has to be the same for 4s. I wonder if he knows what the 4 stands for.
    1. Colacone's Avatar
      Colacone -
      Quote Originally Posted by budsalinger View Post
      I don't believe him. The S follows suit with the 3g --> 3gs. we all know that whatever the S in 3gs stands for has to be the same for 4s. I wonder if he knows what the 4 stands for.
      The S in the 3GS stood for speed. It was all hyped about how much faster it was than the 3G. The 4S is the first with Siri and its basically an iPhone 4 with siri(and a few other internal changes).
    1. Rokesomesmeefer's Avatar
      Rokesomesmeefer -
      Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
      Last I heard, these guys do not get paid to prepare any editorial for your reading pleasure. Lastly, no editors or any staff proofing any article prior to release. So, missed punctuation, typos etc should be overlooked. You guys remind me of my over critical high school teacher some 15 years ago. Seriously!
      Your proper use of spelling, grammar and punctuation indicate that your "over critical high school teacher" did her job.

      Quote Originally Posted by Jbrooks424 View Post
      Wow you guys are assholes! You REALLY just came to an arrival about the iPhone4S, and the "itv" to ripen phill about his grammar mistakes? WTF! If ou don't like it, then LEAVE THE SITE!
      If you don't like seeing people "ripen phill about his grammar mistakes", why don't YOU leave the site?

      Quote Originally Posted by Jbrooks424 View Post
      ..Anyway... I donttink apple will release the itv" because, unlikesmartphones, and computers, people don't really get new televisions that often, if they did, though, sales would probably be disappointing.
      Before the iPhone and Androids came along, many people didn't buy a new phone every 6-12 months either. If Apple starts selling televisions it's practically a guarantee that every Apple fanboy will line up to buy one every time a new version comes out. If you haven't already learned that by watching what happens every time a new i<<insert product line>> model is released, you're either not paying attention or you are one of those fanboys and are simply blind to it...

      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      haha! Article is about tech and the blog is about punctuation haha! Anywho..Apple is evidently producing a TV for us..FINALLY>question is now cost? Im sure Siri will be the biggest selling point for obvious reasons. Lets hope it is out of beta by then and actually serves a real purpose besides texting while im driving haha!
      Judging by the cost of Apple displays, I'd guess somewhere around $2500+ for a 42" TV.
    1. LTechTalk's Avatar
      LTechTalk -
      I thought it meant S = Steve Jobs !