• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone Dev Team Releases a Command Line Interface Tool for iOS 5.1.1 Untether


    The iPhone Dev Team has released a command line interface tool, otherwise known as a CLI tool, as an alternative to the recently released Absinthe 2.0 untethered iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak. The CLI tool is capable of performing the same jailbreak that one can achieve using Absinthe 2.0, but the difference is that this tool is completely command line based. The CLI tool is for more advanced users who prefer to have more control over the whole jailbreak process. Most people should be sticking to the Absinthe 2.0 GUI tool and it is advised that you use this tool only if you know what you are getting into.

    The CLI tool works for both Mac and Windows machines and can be downloaded from the MuscleNerd's link. According to MuscleNerd, the CLI tool is best used with a fresh installation of iOS 5.1.1 so we’d recommend following his advice.

    Today is a good day for the jailbreak community as the untethered jailbreak was released for iOS 5.1.1. Users now have the option of using Absinthe 2.0 and the iPhone Dev Team’s CLI tool.

    Happy Jailbreaking!

    Source: MuscleNerd (Twitter)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone Dev Team Releases a Command Line Interface Tool for iOS 5.1.1 Untether started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 20 Comments
    1. xhazex9x's Avatar
      xhazex9x -
      Cli jailbreaks are way more awesome they make me feel like im actually doing something when i jailbreak instead of just clicking a button
    1. EVO's Avatar
      EVO -
      As a programmer myself I will definitely try this
    1. desepticon's Avatar
      desepticon -
      Not a bad idea. When I jail-broke my original iPhone, it actually forced me to learn a little basic UNIX. Because of jailbreaking, as it was in the beginning, I am now pretty UNIX savvy and can even write my own bash scripts. I say keep it this way for a jailbreaks.
    1. EVO's Avatar
      EVO -
      Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
      Not a bad idea. When I jail-broke my original iPhone, it actually forced me to learn a little basic UNIX. Because of jailbreaking, as it was in the beginning, I am now pretty UNIX savvy and can even write my own bash scripts. I say keep it this way for a jailbreaks.
      Bad idea...

      Then you will have thousands of people swamping the modmyi server with questions X)
    1. TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
      TheDirtyDiddler -
      I was always a fan of jailbreakme.com. Easy as hell, didn't require any software or a computer, and best of all, you could jailbreak the phones in the Apple store.
    1. dazdaman80's Avatar
      dazdaman80 -
      Bad idea !. I can already hear the complaints, " thanks dev team, you screwed up my device " !!. Who cares how much input we put into the jailbreaking process, just as long as we get the result !
    1. n0id's Avatar
      n0id -
      im guessing this will help you learn how the jailbreak process is done via command line.. i'll try this later on my girls iphone4, i already updated and jailbroke mines earlier!!
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by dazdaman80 View Post
      Bad idea !. I can already hear the complaints, " thanks dev team, you screwed up my device " !!. Who cares how much input we put into the jailbreaking process, just as long as we get the result !
      This is not a bad idea. It is advised not to use this if you don't know what you're doing, stick with Absinthe GUI.
    1. Breezy215's Avatar
      Breezy215 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
      I was always a fan of jailbreakme.com. Easy as hell, didn't require any software or a computer, and best of all, you could jailbreak the phones in the Apple store.
      lol
    1. buggsy2's Avatar
      buggsy2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
      Cli jailbreaks are way more awesome they make me feel like im actually doing something when i jailbreak instead of just clicking a button
      Uh, ok. Do you grow your own food and slaughter your own animals so eating will be more awesome?
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
      Uh, ok. Do you grow your own food and slaughter your own animals so eating will be more awesome?
      It brings most of us back to the old days. Some of the first jailbreaks were CLI.
    1. Chocolatesmurf's Avatar
      Chocolatesmurf -
      Does absinthe 2.0 support 5.1.0???
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      No just 5.1.1
    1. dragon x's Avatar
      dragon x -
      Does it work on the 4s with the 5.1.1 FW?
    1. domenicp's Avatar
      domenicp -
      Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
      Uh, ok. Do you grow your own food and slaughter your own animals so eating will be more awesome?
      Actually, growing your own food and eating it is pretty awesome... Not sure about slaughtering though.
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      Bus error: 10

      I take it that's the same problem Absinthe has with a factory unlocked iphone 4 s when it complains it can't connect to lockdown and is aborting?


      An iPhone 4 yields this error:

      /Users/eric/cinject/cinject/test.c:377: failed assertion `restore(dev, RESTORE_OPTION_NONE, NULL)==CINJ_STATUS_OK'
      Abort trap: 6

      Who the heck is eric?
    1. xhazex9x's Avatar
      xhazex9x -
      Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
      Uh, ok. Do you grow your own food and slaughter your own animals so eating will be more awesome?
      Actually growing/catching your own food is pretty rewarding it makes you feel good and like the other guy said it brings me back to the old days when jailbreaks were only cli it makes me feel like im actually taking part in the process of jailbreaking rather than pressing a button and coming back 5 min later sorry if that bothers you
    1. ARon145's Avatar
      ARon145 -
      where can i find a tutorial on how to use the CML on a mac?
    1. SirDude's Avatar
      SirDude -
      Quote Originally Posted by ARon145 View Post
      where can i find a tutorial on how to use the CML on a mac?
      I second that question..Wondering if I have more luck with this than Absinthe
    1. EVO's Avatar
      EVO -
      Quote Originally Posted by SirDude View Post
      I second that question..Wondering if I have more luck with this than Absinthe
      here's the tutorial for the CLI:
      Rocky-Racoon 5.1.1 CLI Jailbreak Underlying For iOS 5.1.1 - Rocky Racoon Command Line Tool ~ Geeky Apple - The new iPad 3, iPhone iOS 5.1 Jailbreaking and Unlocking Guides

      good luck guys!