• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • [Review] NoPowerDown - Disable iOS' Power Down Interface


    If you are tired of people turning off your iOS device on you, then a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed NoPowerDown by iOS developer CoolStar will disable the ‘slide to power off’ feature of iOS so that your device cannot be powered down via the stock iOS interface. Unforunately, power down add-ons such as Siri extensions and SBSettings options will still allow the device to power down.

    Since all the tweak does is hide the ‘slide to power off’ slider from the user (shown above), the user can still toggle the power down interface by holding down the sleep button on the top of the device, however instead of a ‘slide to power off’ slider, the user will only be accompanied by a Cancel button.

    The tweak was ultimately made to help resist turning your device off if you have a tethered jailbreak, where the iOS 5.1 and iOS 5.1.1 jailbreaks for the A4 devices are currently tethered. Since the power down interface is disabled with this tweak, people that use your device and don’t understand the facts about a tethered jailbreak won’t force you into a state where you can’t use your jailbreak until you boot tethered by powering it off.

    Since NoPowerDown only focuses on the stock power down interface, a good improvement for the tweak in the future would be the ability to keep the device from powering off entirely unless the battery drains. This would fail-proof the tethered jailbreak from ever being tampered with by anyone using the device. The tweak is free, so if the stock iOS power down interface is the only way you have on your device to power off, then this tweak could be worth your time if you are running a tethered jailbreak.

    Name: NoPowerDown
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: CoolStar
    Editor's Rating: / 2.5/5

    Sources: Cydia
    This article was originally published in forum thread: [Review] NoPowerDown - Disable iOS' Power Down Interface started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
    1. Tashawn's Avatar
      Tashawn -
      Some one should just add all these little tweaks into one application. Hopefully the Springtomize developer do this.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      It's always good to have alternative, plus this is free, Springtomize isn't
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      You can disable it through activator and instead of showing te dark screen it will just not work..
    1. Rich.'s Avatar
      Rich. -
      Perfect for all of those times when someone randomly grabs my phone and shuts it off. I hate when that happens.
    1. Mr. Russian's Avatar
      Mr. Russian -
      You can still hard reboot it...
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
      You can still hard reboot it...
      You can still remove the tweak, hold the power button and turn it off...
    1. Aehmlo's Avatar
      Aehmlo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tashawn View Post
      Some one should just add all these little tweaks into one application. Hopefully the Springtomize developer do this.
      I'm actually working on a tweak that adds on to this concept. Stay tuned.
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      What I want is one that FAKES as if it shut down so that thieves are none-the-wiser while I get on my computer and find my iPhone.

      It would need to silence all sounds/notifications, disable vibrations, and keep the screen blank until they attempted to boot it again. If it faked the boot process it could even cause havoc with them attempting to restore in iTunes.
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      This has already been addressed by ILocalis.
      In Settings, you can check a box so that the iphone will not power down.
    1. Bear_Grylls's Avatar
      Bear_Grylls -
      Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
      What I want is one that FAKES as if it shut down so that thieves are none-the-wiser while I get on my computer and find my iPhone.

      It would need to silence all sounds/notifications, disable vibrations, and keep the screen blank until they attempted to boot it again. If it faked the boot process it could even cause havoc with them attempting to restore in iTunes.
      This would be really, really cool.
    1. Aehmlo's Avatar
      Aehmlo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Since NoPowerDown only focuses on the stock power down interface, a good improvement for the tweak in the future would be the ability to keep the device from powering off entirely unless the battery drains.
      Unfortunately, this is not possible since most of the other methods of powering down your device probably use system() calls, meaning they cannot be hooked. And disabling the hard reboot is out of the question for security reasons.
    1. justibackwardsn's Avatar
      justibackwardsn -
      My first thought wasn't about untethered jailbreaks, but about theives turning off the phone as soon as its stolen.