• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Google Reportedly Ripping Off Apple's Game Center


    Apple, as we've seen, easily takes umbrage at a competitor who dares to even think of mimicking Apple's established mobile technologies and their corresponding hardware or software attributes.

    With that being said, something tells me that the suits in Cupertino, California are less than pleased with news today that Google's Android operating system will soon deliver a social gaming experience all too familiar to iOS Game Center users.

    "That's a key piece of software plumbing necessary to make Google a contender in the fast-growing mobile games market," the report from Business Insider reads, adding that the native Android App will help Google reach greater parity with iOS in the social gaming realm.

    Google's software will include a social "achievement" system, which gives people awards and trophies for doing certain things in games. It will also include a leaderboard which will rank players against their friends, our source told us.
    "They are starting to really understand all of the needs and wants to make a game really successful," a source close to the matter tells BI. "As recently as even a year ago, that really wasn't part of their institutional DNA, But I think they're getting there."

    Source: Business Insider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google Reportedly Ripping Off Apple's Game Center started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      If you consider Google ripping off Apple then surely you consider Apple ripping off Microsoft? Oh wait I forgot Apple invented everything first
    1. DuRoLuRo's Avatar
      DuRoLuRo -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      If you consider Google ripping off Apple then surely you consider Apple ripping off Microsoft? Oh wait I forgot Apple invented everything first
      Exactly. Apple copied the achievement system from Microsoft in the first place.
      And highscores? Weren't those invented by ATARI? Apple did nothing new with Game Center.
      Even the design of the UI, is just copying Casino's from all over the world.
      Apple did absolutely NO innovation in this area, so Google should feel safe to do the same thing.
      I think it's about time Android users get a proper gaming experience
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Typical Apple.
      They steal an idea and say its their own then they sue anyone else that has something similar.
      When will someone sue Apple for stealing their idea in the first place.
    1. kraziebone's Avatar
      kraziebone -
      Does anyone even use gamecenter? I don't know of anyone, so why would Google want something that nobody even uses?
    1. jbardi's Avatar
      jbardi -
      Suing over intelectual property or brand is not specific to Apple... they all do it, INCLUDING Google, so drop the fanboy crap. Google is no saint either. Not only that, Apple never said a word on this issue. The writer of this story assumes Apple is upset, so you all jump on the Apple bashing bandwagon. None of you children would know good jounalism or fact checking if it slapped you in your smug little faces. If Apple sues, then complain, but in the end, Apple and Google are the same in their determination to gain profit by protecting their revenue streams.
    1. brodimus's Avatar
      brodimus -
      Even if they did rip it off, let them have it. I don't want GameCenter on my phone anyway.
    1. LTechTalk's Avatar
      LTechTalk -
      Game center is the best ! Apple will open a case for sure !
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Quote Originally Posted by LTechTalk View Post
      Game center is the best ! Apple will open a case for sure !
      WOW! That's all I'm saying....
    1. regkilla's Avatar
      regkilla -
      AndroCenter...



      Apple should add live chatrooms in GameCenter so people could talk about iOS games and arrange game matches!
    1. GooseG's Avatar
      GooseG -
      Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
      Does anyone even use gamecenter? I don't know of anyone, so why would Google want something that nobody even uses?
      Everytime you play a game your using game center bro.
    1. petrusk's Avatar
      petrusk -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      If you consider Google ripping off Apple then surely you consider Apple ripping off Microsoft? Oh wait I forgot Apple invented everything first
      Every major gaming platform copied Microsofts achievement system. Why wouldn't they... It's brilliant tbh.
    1. GooseG's Avatar
      GooseG -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      Suing over intelectual property or brand is not specific to Apple... they all do it, INCLUDING Google, so drop the fanboy crap. Google is no saint either. Not only that, Apple never said a word on this issue. The writer of this story assumes Apple is upset, so you all jump on the Apple bashing bandwagon. None of you children would know good jounalism or fact checking if it slapped you in your smug little faces. If Apple sues, then complain, but in the end, Apple and Google are the same in their determination to gain profit by protecting their revenue streams.
      +728. Very well said.
    1. Breezer23's Avatar
      Breezer23 -
      I think we need new writers. Hell, there were Game Center like systems on the iPhone before Game Center (Feignt, Plus Plus, etc.)
    1. Sage I's Avatar
      Sage I -
      I removed all traces of Game Center I could find using Ifile.