• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab Return Rate Vastly Outpaces Apple iPad


    The latest findings of a freshly released survey indicate that the Samsung Galaxy Tab return rate is vastly outpacing the rate at which Apple customers return their iPad. The inference, of course, is that iPad owners are significantly happier with their purchase than Samsung Galaxy tab owners are. But is that really true?

    ITG Investment Research tracked point-of-sale data from nearly 6,000 wireless stores in the U.S. from the Galaxy Tabís November debut through Jan. 15 and found the device to have an unusually high return rate.
    Digital Daily reports that a sizable 16% of Galaxy Tab buyers returned their tablet. On the other hand, a mere 2% of iPad buyers did the same. In December 2010 alone, the return rate for the Galaxy Tab was hovering around 13% only to see that percentage grow after the first of the year. In response to the data's publication, a biting comment from the New York Post suggested that Samsung's answer to the iPad should be labeled the "boomerang" given how often it seems to come back to the store. Ouch.

    What very few Samsung-haters are pointing out, however, is that the tablet return rate is being driven by problems with Android in general, not just Samsung. Rhoda Alexander, an iSuppli analyst, said, "There are a lot of issues with Android tablets, not just Samsung." Nonetheless, many Wall Street analysts believe 2011 will be the year when Android tablets will collectively "make a dent in the iPad's dominance."

    Digital Daily
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab Return Rate Vastly Outpaces Apple iPad started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Thats right. iPad FTW. Bring on the iPad 2 baby!
    1. Rasta4Jah420's Avatar
      Rasta4Jah420 -
      Who would waste their money on this?
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      Stories like this make me wonder if there real or fake. Made to pump up sales of the pad.
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      I think the big problem is that there are not many developers making dedicated apps for the Galaxy Tab. The iPad on the other hand has 10's of thousands. I would pick the iPad over the Galaxy.

      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Stories like this make me wonder if there real or fake. Made to pump up sales of the pad.
      I dont think the iPad needs any help selling.
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Stories like this make me wonder if there real or fake. Made to pump up sales of the pad.
      Why would a company produce a "fake" product to help the sales of their product, that makes no sense. And like ^^^ said the iPad does not need help in sales.
    1. LordGeek's Avatar
      LordGeek -
      Ohh come on, don't blame Android for this .. LOL

      Truthfully, I would blame Samsung .. especially with that companies nasty history of NOT updating there equipment (mainly cellphones) .. I also have a Samsung Captivate, still running 2.1 .. nothing out there for 2.2x or even 2.3x .. sucks. This stems back to the days I had a Samsung Eternity, full of bugs, promises, promises from both AT&T and Samsung that updates will be posted shortly to fix the issues. Here its 3 years later (after the Eternity's initial release), go up on Samsungs website and NOTHING .. 3 years and nothing at all !!!

      So I wouldn't be blaming Android for all this .. if there are issues, they could be stemming from the hardware also .. thats Samsungs responsibility. And being that this is NEW to the market .. don't count on any updates/fixes for this piece of crap for at least .. hmmm .. NEVER !!!!
    1. qucina's Avatar
      qucina -
      no phone but iphone,no tablet but ipad!
    1. powa's Avatar
      powa -
      Boomerang, haha....
      Sonic Boom!
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      2% of 10 million is still a high number in terms if units. 200,000.
    1. Taranis17's Avatar
      Taranis17 -
      How is this surprising to anyone? First of all, Apple was first out of the gate with the iPad - literally taking the Tablet Computer to the next level. The Galaxy Tab is an iPad wanna-be. The people that buy it don't see it for what it is - they see an "iPad", and are disappointed when it doesn't deliver like an iPad does.
    1. orozcoj4's Avatar
      orozcoj4 -
      It's funny how when the iPad was introduced, EVERYONE said that it was just a giant ipod touch. Now, any and every electronics company out there is slapping together a tablet and thinking its going to compete with the iPad. Apple's products are well thought out and very user friendly. That's what has made iDevices so popular. The iPad, however, isn't without it's problems but it still does what it does better than any similar product. I have already busted open my Darth Vader piggy bank in anticipation of the iPad 2
    1. chrisj979's Avatar
      chrisj979 -
      People please don't just read percentages and run with it. Although the story says 16% vs. 2% they don't mention the total sales numbers they get the percentages from. Just because the percentage is higher does not make the number of returns higher.

      Example:
      16% of 1000 is 160
      but
      2% of 10000 is 200

      In the case above who actually has more returns?? The lower percentage, using ALL the numbers will give you a better picture.
    1. isham.padron's Avatar
      isham.padron -
      The Galaxy Tab is a great device. I own a cheaper android tab and I love it. I think some of returns might have something to do with the fact that you have to buy the service contact to get a tab and once you add in your own cell phone+service it gets pretty costly. The people that typically buy apple are more financially secure and they choose the ipad because of the prestige of owning an apple product. In a lot of ways an idevice is a status symbol. My guess is that less wealthy people get suckered into buying a galaxy tab and when they really cant afford it. As the bills mount the toy gets returned during a budget crunch. Samsung was stupid to not offer a wifi tab as an option.
    1. ty22's Avatar
      ty22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LordGeek View Post
      Ohh come on, don't blame Android for this .. LOL

      Truthfully, I would blame Samsung .. especially with that companies nasty history of NOT updating there equipment (mainly cellphones) .. I also have a Samsung Captivate, still running 2.1 .. nothing out there for 2.2x or even 2.3x .. sucks. This stems back to the days I had a Samsung Eternity, full of bugs, promises, promises from both AT&T and Samsung that updates will be posted shortly to fix the issues. Here its 3 years later (after the Eternity's initial release), go up on Samsungs website and NOTHING .. 3 years and nothing at all !!!

      So I wouldn't be blaming Android for all this .. if there are issues, they could be stemming from the hardware also .. thats Samsungs responsibility. And being that this is NEW to the market .. don't count on any updates/fixes for this piece of crap for at least .. hmmm .. NEVER !!!!
      I agree. Samsung still doesn't have froyo out yet and it came out spring last year.
    1. isham.padron's Avatar
      isham.padron -
      Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
      I agree. Samsung still doesn't have froyo out yet and it came out spring last year.
      True. If you wanted you could get a half functional version of 2.3 gingerbread for iphone. Clearly it's a manufacturer problem.
    1. LordGeek's Avatar
      LordGeek -
      Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
      I agree. Samsung still doesn't have froyo out yet and it came out spring last year.
      Correct .. I mean, you can get chopped versions from X D A Developers to put on your phone in regards to Froyo or even Gingerbread .. is it 100% functioning, NOPE .. either one, WiFi not working, GPS nothing working, downloading from Market not working .. unable to install Apps not working .. the lists go on and on !!!

      I have dropped EVERYTHING I have from Samsung .. my Captivate, I gave to my oldest daughter, for the past 3 years, she's been using an old Motorola Z9 .. so this for her was a gift from heaven .. LOL .. she won't be looking for updates like us G33K's .. LOL
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      Quote Originally Posted by isham.padron View Post
      The Galaxy Tab is a great device. I own a cheaper android tab and I love it. I think some of returns might have something to do with the fact that you have to buy the service contact to get a tab and once you add in your own cell phone+service it gets pretty costly. The people that typically buy apple are more financially secure and they choose the ipad because of the prestige of owning an apple product. In a lot of ways an idevice is a status symbol. My guess is that less wealthy people get suckered into buying a galaxy tab and when they really cant afford it. As the bills mount the toy gets returned during a budget crunch. Samsung was stupid to not offer a wifi tab as an option.
      agreed
    1. garylin's Avatar
      garylin -
      Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
      It's funny how when the iPad was introduced, EVERYONE said that it was just a giant ipod touch. Now, any and every electronics company out there is slapping together a tablet and thinking its going to compete with the iPad. Apple's products are well thought out and very user friendly. That's what has made iDevices so popular. The iPad, however, isn't without it's problems but it still does what it does better than any similar product. I have already busted open my Darth Vader piggy bank in anticipation of the iPad 2
      Totally agreed. The usability is the key here. iDevices are so intuitive to use.
    1. johnwin's Avatar
      johnwin -
      The difference between the return rate on iPads and the Samsung Galazy Tab is that instead of returning it, a lot of customers have kept it past 30 days to the point where they can't return it anymore... after they realize that they rarely use the tablet, they finally sell it on craigslist or ebay.
    1. manickbarry's Avatar
      manickbarry -
      I think the fact that apple design there hardware AND software is a BIG advantage as they work together very well and IMO the so called closed system of iOS means less problems for the general user.