• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Should iOS Hackers Release the Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.1; Wait for iOS 6?


    There are untethered jailbreaks for iOS 5.0.1 and iOS 5.0 (iOS devices vary), but there is not yet one for iOS 5.1. A5 iOS device users can't jailbreak iOS 5.1 at all. The only jailbreak available for iOS 5.1 is a tethered jailbreak for A4 devices and an untethered jailbreak for older bootrom iPhone 3GS models. However, that’s not to say an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 isn’t coming. iOS hacker pod2g is considering it very thoroughly.

    While the iOS 5.1 firmware is widely distributed on newer iOS devices being sold in stores, large quantities of people are comfortably jailbroken in the untethered manner, running iOS 5.0.1. Users with older iOS devices such as those of the A4 breed can easily restore their iOS devices back to iOS 5.0.1 after an iOS 5.1 upgrade, assuming their APTickets and SHSH blobs are saved (if you don’t have them, you’re out of luck) – this gives them the incentive to re-jailbreak at their leisure. Unfortunately, A5 device owners do not have the ability to downgrade firmware due to the lack of a bootrom exploit. Because of this, some people are now stuck on iOS 5.1 after upgrading.

    If you take a moment and head over to pod2g’s blog, a poll post will welcome you. The poll wants to know if you think pod2g and the rest of the Dream Team should spend their time finding a way to create an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 (wasting exploits as they go), or if they should wait until the release of iOS 6 to start building a new untethered jailbreak.

    Illustrating the jailbreak community, the majority of people seem to be voting toward the iOS 5.1 untethered jailbreak (currently around 55% of votes want it), however waiting for iOS 6 is followed closely behind (currently around 41% of voters would prefer it). Do you think pod2g should wait for iOS 6? – or should he get started with iOS 5.1?

    Sources: pod2g's Blog
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Should iOS Hackers Release the Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.1; Wait for iOS 6? started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 195 Comments
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      It seems a shame to burn 5 exploits for the sake of an iOS version that has basically zero new features :-(
    1. CMartins's Avatar
      CMartins -
      I wish they would release the 5.1 jailbreak for the new ipad
    1. oneduality's Avatar
      oneduality -
      Quote Originally Posted by gdogg08 View Post
      People are just selfish, if you upgraded thats your problem, if you bought the device late i understand but it still doesnt change the fact, if they have an exploit let them keep it. Apple 99% of the time wont look for exploits they wait for us to inject them, then they will patch it. 5.1 is a joke anyhow, why jailbreak and waste an exploit. No new features, its just 5.0.1 just fixes the battery problem and add a stupid sliding camera button on the lock screen.
      Its not work it, 6.0 will be work it, since its a whole ios upgrade, you always get alot of new features with them types of upgrades.

      DON'T WASTE, WHAT COULD BE ARE ONLY EXPLOIT TO JAILBREAK IOS6 RIGHT FROM THE START.
      One of my idevices gave me no choice, I had to update to 5.1 because it stopped charging, it wouldn't detect being plugged into the USB at all unless it was in DFU mode.. I couldn't restore to 5.0.1 .. so not everyone chose to upgrade..

      The issue is that ios6 will probably be a major overhaul of the OS.. there's a good chance these exploits won't even exist in the updated version..

      But every time Apple introduces new apps or new features, they introduce potential new exploits... I don't think Apple is trying TOO hard to keep the JB community out, the fact we can JB our devices actually increases sales.. if I couldn't use many of the cydia apps I love, I doubt I'd have bought the 4s .. as it stands now, my 4s is stock 5.1 and I'm hating it ..

      my ipad and ipod are both 5.0.1 at least
    1. korbyn8495's Avatar
      korbyn8495 -
      iOS 6! Although I have an iPad 3rd generation, I'd prefer it be released for iOS 6, because it's the next major update.
    1. mvangogh's Avatar
      mvangogh -
      Quote Originally Posted by plumoso View Post
      5.1 jailbreak because we never know what iOS 6 could bring us
      agreed! +129817
    1. dazdaman80's Avatar
      dazdaman80 -
      am i right in thinking that we might only see ios 6 with the next gen iphone, which could be as long as october ?
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      People who is desperate for jailbreak for 5.1 because they are stuck on it will be more inclined to vote than people who didn't, I was actually surprised when I voted total showed 55 yes and 45 no thought there were more on yes.
    1. buttamix's Avatar
      buttamix -
      what tweaks and apps are compatible with iOS 5.1 anyway.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
      what tweaks and apps are compatible with iOS 5.1 anyway.
      Lots of them
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      BTW, my and my brother are waiting for a jailbreak before we buy the new iPad so it would be nice to get one soon.
      The worst part about the way you troll Apple products on this site is how you aren't even serious when you say you won't buy any more of them. Why are you buying the new iPad? to complain about it?

      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      I love to hear about these lawsuits. When I think of buying a Mac I read these and remind myself why I wont buy one.
      I will now go buy an Samsung Android tablet instead of an iPad. I will also get a new laptop instead of a MacBook as its heaps cheaper and heaps better.
      Thanks again to Apple for the lawsuits and making my choice of device a lot easier.
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      I would say wait, if you release it, Apple will download it, dissect it and fix the exploits for sure, at least this way there is chance that they won't.

      Of course, if Apple wanted to put a stop to the jailbreaking activity, they could just create an unapproved Apps section of their store that all rejected apps automatically get put into. They could even build in a switch for the Genius bar to quickly remove all unapproved apps for testing purposes. Yes, there would be a warning whenever you entered the unapproved apps section letting you know that these apps will be removed if you take your phone in for service.

      Yes, there would still be some people that would want to hack the phone to be able to say that they did, but overall, they would find that most people would stick with a stock phone.

      Ultimately, this would put a stop to this cat and mouse game without admitting defeat, heck Apple might even make a few extra dollars in the process.
    1. B19's Avatar
      B19 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CMartins View Post
      I wish they would release the 5.1 jailbreak for the new ipad
      I agree. I really want them to release a JB for the new ipad. They have demonstrated that they already have 2 methods in the bank. Why not release one and hold the other for iOS6?
    1. skyeking69's Avatar
      skyeking69 -
      5.1 now! like other said..who knows what 6.0 will bring ?? get on it boyz!
    1. LGgeek's Avatar
      LGgeek -
      Wait until 6 comes out and see if one of the exploits can be used on it , if not then release a 5.1 JB.
      Exploits should be use judicously .
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by gdogg08 View Post

      DON'T WASTE, WHAT COULD BE ARE ONLY EXPLOIT TO JAILBREAK IOS6 RIGHT FROM THE START.
      Giant font makes the grammatical errors hurt so much worse. Make it stop!
    1. Colin9001's Avatar
      Colin9001 -
      Please, please, please wait for iOS 6.. Nothing in 5.1 is that new. iOS 6 is very near.

      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Giant font makes the grammatical errors hurt so much worse. Make it stop!
      Are? Seriously?
      DON'T WASTE, WHAT COULD BE OUR* ONLY EXPLOIT TO JAILBREAK IOS6 RIGHT FROM THE START.

      Corrector fails correcting.

      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      I would say wait, if you release it, Apple will download it, dissect it and fix the exploits for sure, at least this way there is chance that they won't.

      Of course, if Apple wanted to put a stop to the jailbreaking activity, they could just create an unapproved Apps section of their store that all rejected apps automatically get put into. They could even build in a switch for the Genius bar to quickly remove all unapproved apps for testing purposes. Yes, there would be a warning whenever you entered the unapproved apps section letting you know that these apps will be removed if you take your phone in for service.

      Yes, there would still be some people that would want to hack the phone to be able to say that they did, but overall, they would find that most people would stick with a stock phone.

      Ultimately, this would put a stop to this cat and mouse game without admitting defeat, heck Apple might even make a few extra dollars in the process.
      This is freaking genius... If only Apple would do this.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      I personally think they should release it if they have it made. I'm on 4S with 5.01 jb. Lots of people on 5.1 help them out. iOS 6 will be a whole new bag so work on that as u go. A jb never comes out for a new OS withinh the first couple months so the amount of time people are stuck without the jb is long
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Well 5.1 brings what? A camera grabber and "better" battery life. Yeah right but 6.0 obviously (better) will be more better features. I'm happy chillin on untethered jailbreak till 6.0 comes out. You might as well wait and jailbreak the new one
    1. spice_weasel's Avatar
      spice_weasel -
      Apparently, none of you remember what happened with the shatter exploit. It was held back, leaked, and patched before it ever saw the light of day. They can hold back if they want, or act like a child like Stephan Esser, but to assume the hole will not be plugged in ios 6 is not a good bet.