98% of New iPad Buyers Are 'Satisfied' with Their Purchase
This is what you would call an overwhelming majority.
According to the findings of the latest ChangeWave Research survey, not a single survey participant said they were "very unsatisfied" with their new iPad purchase. Only 2% claimed to be "somewhat satisfied." What about the remaining 98% you ask. They are all satisfied, with 82% saying they are "very satisfied."
All told, that's a pretty resounding stamp of approval for the third-generation iPad.
ChangeWave finds that, by a wide margin of 75%, the high-resolution Retina display is what new iPad owners are enjoying most about their purchase. Others (22%) said the long battery life is much appreciated. The same goes for 4G LTE capability (21%) and the faster processor (20%).
Although most new iPad owners apparently don't have much to gripe about, among the few items of contention on their list is the cost of the actual iPad and, not surprisingly, the corresponding cost of the wireless data plan.
In case you're wondering, a scant 4% of new iPad owners think the issue of excessive heat (that is, how hot the iPad gets during operation) is "Somewhat of a Problem." No respondents said its a "Very Big Problem."
Source: ChangeWave Research