• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Foxconn Hiring Thousands In Preparation of iPhone 5, Some Workers Protesting

    Video of protesting Foxconn employees


    Foxconn is in the middle of a massive hiring spree while dealing with a large number of protesting workers, according to The China Morning News.

    More than 20,000 new production jobs will reportedly be added to meet production requirements for the new iPhone. The new hires will be working in a place called Taiyuan in the Shanxi Province of Northern china. The massive increase in manpower is needed to fulfill the 85% of iPhone 5 production orders Foxconn will reported get which equates to an estimated 57 million units per year.

    The swift action on Foxconnís part could be in response to reports of Foxconn employees taking to the streets and protesting over compensation and other workersí rights. While it is unclear what the precise reason behind the strike is, reports claim the workers havenít received the full pay raise they were promised ahead of iPhone 5 production.

    An entry-level worker at Foxconn is typically paid 1,550 yuan (US$245) per month, rising to to 1,800 yuan (US$285) per month after three months. When bonuses and overtime pay are included, a worker may typically earn between 2,200 and 3,500 yuan (US$345-$550) a month.
    Cheap labor, poor standard of living, massive corporate profits and shiny gadgets.

    Source: The China Morning News [via MICGadget]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Foxconn Hiring Thousands In Preparation of iPhone 5, Some Workers Protesting started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 35 Comments
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by slap690 View Post
      These factories must be gaurded with guns. I mean think about it, people getting paid less than 300$ a month and 1 freakin ipad worth 500 us$. Come on. Theft has GOT to be an issue over there
      Good point. Think about how many iPhones/ iPads they make per day.
    1. Rockjock's Avatar
      Rockjock -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Beats working in a rice paddy all day long hoping you have enough food to eat day after day.
      Typical American answer. Thank you for showing why world wide the Americans are thought of as idiots.

      Quote Originally Posted by slap690 View Post
      These factories must be gaurded with guns. I mean think about it, people getting paid less than 300$ a month and 1 freakin ipad worth 500 us$. Come on. Theft has GOT to be an issue over there
      No no Slap they are not guarded with guns, the workers are fitted with ankle bracelets packed with explosives. If they try and run away they are blown up, if they sleep too much they are blown up and when they get too old they are fed to the younger workers.

      You are aware that China is the country that bailed you out?

      Theses are people that are working to feed their families.
    1. andypropaganda's Avatar
      andypropaganda -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      First of all, wealth and resources can't be distributed "properly". For one thing, we wouldn't have wealth if it was all distributed. various regimes tried that. It ended in poverty... Also, you seem to be on your high horse. I am sure you are typing this on a Chinese made product. Shame on you, sir. Either boycott, or stop this hypocrisy. You benefit from the suffering and oppression of others just as much as I do.
      Never said I didn't benefit from it. But to avoid it is virtually impossible. Also, I'm not saying to necessarily distribute the wealth evenly across the board. That wouldn't make sense. Yes, things like socialism have failed, but look at the rulers. No one can deny that it's ludicrous the way royalty or government officials live and rule in 3rd world countries. The other things is no one needs "wealth", and when you look at the numbers you can distribute the money in America so that EVERYONE would be "well to do". While I will agree that's not necessarily the right thing to do because people who don't work for money don't deserve it, I do think that people in other countries are treated very poorly and taken advantage of by big corporations and their countries. Yes, the cost of living is less, I understand that, but they still are not afforded nearly the amount of luxuries we are in America or other 1st world countries.
    1. vicx's Avatar
      vicx -
      Happy meal costs the same all over the world! West will die if poor country will not exist!all west money are made from using this countries but I can assure you that soon this will change!west greed its higher and higher sooo...
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
      Yes, the cost of living is less, I understand that, but they still are not afforded nearly the amount of luxuries we are in America or other 1st world countries.
      Right there... the only way the oppression will stop is if WE stop it. If you are enjoying the products that come from these factories you are contributing to the oppression. It literally is that simple.
    1. RoloDiva13's Avatar
      RoloDiva13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jongarrett View Post
      that's like saying african slaves shouldnt have complained about their conditions because they should have been happy just to be in america.
      wtf..
    1. vempire's Avatar
      vempire -
      That can not match an iphone4 !!!
    1. RyoSaeba's Avatar
      RyoSaeba -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      that's like saying African slaves shouldnt have complained about their conditions because they should have been happy just to be in America.
      African slaves weren't getting paid and they were forced by white Americans to work as slaves.

      Foxconn workers are welcome to leave any time and find other jobs. But they know they'll never find a better one given their lack of education and competition.

      Think before you speak on a subject you know nothing about.
    1. hank197857's Avatar
      hank197857 -
      stupid argument. but then, i've never understood why the pound is twice the dollar, especially when u.s. gdp runs circles around that of ANY other country. i just get the feeling that everything is fixed beyond our control, especially with those of us here dropping our meager two cents. hey, if you really feel bad about having your iphone while others barely get by, volunteer. stop boo-hooing for other workers continents away when there's so much unemployment in our own back yards. i'm sure south central could use a hand. comptom? whatever ... you won't change much, but it might make you feel better. i'm not giving up my iphone just to make others feel better. as a matter of fact, when one of my iphones drowned in the pacific, i bought another one. when the 5 comes out, i'll be there too. peace, love and joy to everyone, chinese and all!
    1. Madman604x's Avatar
      Madman604x -
      Quote Originally Posted by ******Mother View Post
      iPhone 6*
      New iPhone
    1. Kenn@rd.'s Avatar
      Kenn@rd. -
      Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
      It doesn't matter how they live back home compared to the factories. That's the whole problem. It's people like you who take things for granted and add to the feeling of entitlement in 1st world countries. If wealth and resources were distributed properly throughout the world we could probably have a good standard of living across the board, but everything revolves around greed. Anyone living in a first world country is very lucky even if we do have our own issues and things could be run a lot better, and yes, in first world countries wealth distribution and economies need work. Even still, it's nothing like living in a down trodden area of a third world country. If anything going to a FACTORY that was 100 times nicer than my home would piss me off like there's no tomorrow because you know that those people aren't giving nearly enough back to the community.



      Thank you.
      What da fock? Um, lemme see, I'm black, and I have an I phone,....( confused)
    1. virtualcappy's Avatar
      virtualcappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockjock View Post
      Typical American answer. Thank you for showing why world wide the Americans are thought of as idiots.



      No no Slap they are not guarded with guns, the workers are fitted with ankle bracelets packed with explosives. If they try and run away they are blown up, if they sleep too much they are blown up and when they get too old they are fed to the younger workers.

      You are aware that China is the country that bailed you out?

      Theses are people that are working to feed their families.


      It's all about how the workers are treated (which is clearly suspect in this case, but the poor treatment seems to be only partly Apples fault). Hopefully, if people thought about it, they'd realize that the workers are compensated extremely well and Apple is a boon to their economy. In fact, the jobs are SO good that the workers are willing to accept very poor treatment to keep them and that's where the exploitation comes in. They obviously shouldn't be paid on an American payscale and there is nothing ethically wrong with outsourcing to cheap labor pools (the only negative aspects of which are tied up in nationalist ideology which is hopefully going by the wayside in a global economy). They should definitely not be subjected to such crappy working conditions. If they worked 40 hours instead of 80 hours a week how would that affect cost and product release dates? Why does that go on? These are the despicable things that transcend Liberalism into basic human decency. No excuse Apple and no excuse Chinese labor policies.

      We should all be willing to pay more for these products so worker conditions can be improved - regardless of whether or not the workers themselves demand it. That goes for everyone not just Americans, as the bigoted author of the quoted post suggests.
    1. Kenn@rd.'s Avatar
      Kenn@rd. -
      Quote Originally Posted by virtualcappy View Post
      It's all about how the workers are treated (which is clearly suspect in this case, but the poor treatment seems to be only partly Apples fault). Hopefully, if people thought about it, they'd realize that the workers are compensated extremely well and Apple is a boon to their economy. In fact, the jobs are SO good that the workers are willing to accept very poor treatment to keep them and that's where the exploitation comes in. They obviously shouldn't be paid on an American payscale and there is nothing ethically wrong with outsourcing to cheap labor pools (the only negative aspects of which are tied up in nationalist ideology which is hopefully going by the wayside in a global economy). They should definitely not be subjected to such crappy working conditions. If they worked 40 hours instead of 80 hours a week how would that affect cost and product release dates? Why does that go on? These are the despicable things that transcend Liberalism into basic human decency. No excuse Apple and no excuse Chinese labor policies.

      We should all be willing to pay more for these products so worker conditions can be improved - regardless of whether or not the workers themselves demand it. That goes for everyone not just Americans, as the bigoted author of the quoted post suggests.
      wait, I as an American understand what is going on. In the business world of things, I am a micro-organism compared to these companies. What the hell can I do about it?#1, the got-d#med phones should be made here in the u.s, they wouldn't even have the labor(slave) issues they( all of em) and I mean all, decided to stay in the u.s, but that's a whole different subject, I understand that these companies had labor issues, but that's what unions are for. I'm American and try my best to buy and support my fellow Americans. Even though this phone and prob 80% of the shyt I have is from china we have to rebuild ourselves first and that's the problem with us we are quick to help others but not being aware of the damage we are doing to ourselves. And that goes in every aspect of business( stock,foreign, etc.. Greed is a hard habit to fend off...it's worse than being addicted to drugs...
    1. Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
      Bluemoldycheeze88 -
      Can you Imagine the price of any Apple products if all of Foxconn jobs where here in the States.
    1. Kenn@rd.'s Avatar
      Kenn@rd. -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
      Can you Imagine the price of any Apple products if all of Foxconn jobs where here in the States.
      Astronomical.