• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Verizon Sets Record First-Day Sales with iPhone


    In a follow-up to the announcement that Verizon has run out of its initial supply of pre-orders of the iPhone 4 for current Verizon Wireless customers, Verizon has also announced that the device set a first-day sales record for the company. More amazingly, it broke the record in two hours.

    Verizon stopped taking pre-orders around 8 PM last night. However, the record sales all occurred between 3 and 5 AM Eastern Time. The demand for the iPhone remains an incredible success story, as the device is half a year old, yet customers still beg for apple's coveted smartphone, even as other manufacturers produce phones at rapid paces that attempt to pull customer attention from the iPhone.

    Even with the large selection of feature phones, and Blackberry and Android smartphone choices already offered by Verizon Wireless,and the beginnings of 4G offerings, it still seems the iPhone 4 will be just as successful as expected. Shipments for pre-ordered phones are on schedule for a February 7th delivery.

    Verizon adds that they still have a supply of phones ready when the phone becomes available to anyone, online on February 9th, and at retail locations at 7 AM on February 10th. We'd assume Verizon and Apple will wait to release official numbers until after this date. But it can only be assumed that Verizon and Apple are grinning from ear to ear on an as-expected product launch so-far.

    Here's the full press release:

    VERIZON WIRELESS HAS RECORD SALES ON FIRST DAY OF iPHONE 4

    Available to General Public on Feb.10

    BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – At 8:10 p.m. EST yesterday, Verizon Wireless ceased online orders of iPhone 4 to existing customers and ended the most successful first day sales in the history of the company.

    “This was an exciting day,” said Dan Mead, president and chief executive officer for Verizon Wireless. “In just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history. And, when you consider these initial orders were placed between the hours of 3 a.m. and 5 a.m., it is an incredible success story. It is gratifying to know that our customers responded so enthusiastically to this exclusive offer — designed to reward them for their loyalty.

    “I am proud of our employees who worked tirelessly to strengthen and scale our systems, enabling unprecedented customer orders through our website. Overall, it was a very good day,” he added.

    Mead also said customers will have another opportunity at being among the nation’s first to own an iPhone 4 on the Verizon Wireless network.

    “Yesterday’s launch set the pace for next week when we open up sales to everyone across America.”

    The general market launch of the iPhone 4 on the Verizon Wireless network will occur on February 10. The company will open its more than 2000 Verizon Wireless Stores at 7 a.m. It will also be available at all Apple store locations, Best Buy, select Wal-Mart stores, and on-line at verizonwireless.com and apple.com.
    Source:
    Engadget
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Verizon Sets Record First-Day Sales with iPhone started by Matt Savoca View original post
    Comments 54 Comments
    1. rruready's Avatar
      rruready -
      Wow, can you get you get any more ignorant? If you are using data, that doesn't mean you will miss calls and texts on ed-vo. The calls and texts take priority. It's the other way around....if you are on a call, you you can't surf. Moron...

      Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
      That doesn't sound any better.
      Are you really saying that missing your calls is better than not being able to use mobile hot spot? This forum has turned into nothing but trolls bashing anything that is not their own.

      For all of you who are acting like not being able to talk and surf at the same time is such a big deal, maybe you should ask yourself not only what Verizon customers lose, but also what they gain. Seeing as how most of you are clearly with AT&T, I will answer that for you (I'm a recent AT&T to Verizon convert). I drive A LOT around my city for work and with AT&T, I would lose 3g probably 5-10 times a day (which I thought is normal since I've been with AT&T for about 9 years). When I switched to Verizon, I was anxious to see the difference so I took careful note of how often I lost 3g the first week or two and guess what? I literally went 7 days before the first time I saw it drop 3g service. I was blown away because I was so used to thinking "sweet, I have 3g here" and now, I get disappointed when I lose 3g, which is seldom because that is not the norm with Verizon. Personally, as much as I need my google maps to work along with Pandora/Grooveshark, I need my 3g coverage more than I need to talk and surf at the same time. As with anything else, you have to consider what is best for your needs. Why bother asking things like "why would anyone be okay with losing the ability to talk and surf at the same time?" Pick what is best for you and don't worry about everyone else....and until you've had both, don't judge. You may be the one "losing out", and you don't even know it.

      That's just one reason I am happier with Verizon vs. AT&T. The other main reason....I got tired of having to jailbreak my damn phone just to be able to do anything useful with it (and there are no other phone on AT&T better than the iphone currently). Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time I jailbroke my phone, but having to update, jailbreak, rinse and repeat, it got old quick. Now I have a Droid X which does everything out of the box. If I want to change the way my keyboard looks/functions for instance, I can change it and I don't have to wait for some dev team to come up with a hack for the current OS version. Is it more open/less secure than an iphone? A stock one? Yes. A jailbroken one? No. Let's face it, if we were using stock iphones, then we probably wouldn't be having this discussion on ModMyi. So, the answer is no, it's not less secure...or even less stable. My jailbroken iphone was just as stable/unstable after 6 months as my Droid X after 6 months. So what I said about Verizon vs AT&T holds true to Android vs Iphone. Don't judge unless you've had both. You may be the one "losing out".
    1. shooger's Avatar
      shooger -
      ok. I just need to say something. I have had every iphone since the original came out. I have loved my iphones. But last month, I was bored and thought "why not try out android?" I bought an OLD htc leo hd2, which comes with winmo, flashed android 2.3 to it, and, 1 month into using it, can guarantee that I will never go back. I used to be like you guys, bashing everything non iphone and laughing at android. But now I'm laughing at how limited iOS is. Seriously guys, give android a try with a good phone, you wrong regret it. My phone cost me 150 bucks and has better specs than the iphone 4. It's overclocked to 1.5 ghz. It runs flash. The screen is bigger. The OS is smoother (yes, really). And the market is huge. All I'm saying is that you guys shouldn't bash something that you clearly have never used. That is all.

      Lol why did my post get deleted..

      nevermind, it showed up again once I posted that..
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      good for verizon!
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by shooger View Post
      ok. I just need to say something. I have had every iphone since the original came out. I have loved my iphones. But last month, I was bored and thought "why not try out android?" I bought an OLD htc leo hd2, which comes with winmo, flashed android 2.3 to it, and, 1 month into using it, can guarantee that I will never go back. I used to be like you guys, bashing everything non iphone and laughing at android. But now I'm laughing at how limited iOS is. Seriously guys, give android a try with a good phone, you wrong regret it. My phone cost me 150 bucks and has better specs than the iphone 4. It's overclocked to 1.5 ghz. It runs flash. The screen is bigger. The OS is smoother (yes, really). And the market is huge. All I'm saying is that you guys shouldn't bash something that you clearly have never used. That is all.

      Lol why did my post get deleted..

      nevermind, it showed up again once I posted that..
      You are making very generalized statements with no specifics to back it up. What can your Android device do that iOS can't because of it's "limitations"? If you're talking about being open source you need to do some research b/c that's a load of crap. The carriers lock down the OS and only allow the updates they approve and many times put their own UI skin over Android which is bloatware IMO.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      I love the "open" statements
    1. alexevo's Avatar
      alexevo -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      .
      I don't even think I need to quote your post to get my point across. You COMPLETELY missed what I was getting at. Verizon knew what they were in for and failed to beef up their servers enough to handle the load. They knew because of the demand for the iPhone on Verizon and they knew because of what AT&T went through. Do I need to explain it more or is that sufficient?

      They also likely don't know what they are in for in terms of network load because they THINK their network is the toughest of the tough. It probably isn't and we will soon find out exactly how tough it is and I'll be back here telling all the Verizon switchers "I told you so" as well as the rest of my comrades who stayed with AT&T.
    1. shooger's Avatar
      shooger -
      Are you serious? Ok. Built in wifi hot spot, endless customization out of the box. How can you modify the look of your iphone without a jailbreak? Oooh, wallpaper. Stock roms often come with bloatware as you call it yes, but since the os is open source, devs create roms with optimized settings and apps, for example without the htc sense ui which I dislike. But some people like it, and that is the beauty of it, you get to choose. The entire source code of the android os is viewable to anyone, making the progression and development easy and possible for anyone to do. Not sure what you mean about open source being bs .. What's the bs? It IS open source. And how about flash? How about having anything on your phone that apple doesn't want there? How about media management without itunes? How about a desktop with something other than endless square icons everywhere? How about a WIDGET? How about voice control that actually works? Built in turn by turn navigation that works just as well as the expensive iphone apps like tom tom. I could seriously go on and on all day. Tell me something, have you tried android? no? That's what I thought. I have tried both, this is no biased fan boy rant. In my opinion, android is for people who like to do what they want how they want, if that is not who you are, and you prefer to be forced to do everything a particular way, or else be forced to jump through apples hoops to be able to do it, then clearly iOS is perfect for you. And I'm no android fanboy. Like I said, I've had every iphone and loved it. But then I gave android a shot and saw what I was missing. I just think what is stopping apple from world domination is their undying need to control everything that their customers do. Google gets that, and operates in a nearly opposite way. apple is north korea, and google is the united states. Environments aside, where would you rather live?
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      Quote Originally Posted by shooger View Post
      Are you serious? Ok. Built in wifi hot spot, endless customization out of the box. How can you modify the look of your iphone without a jailbreak? Oooh, wallpaper. Stock roms often come with bloatware as you call it yes, but since the os is open source, devs create roms with optimized settings and apps, for example without the htc sense ui which I dislike. But some people like it, and that is the beauty of it, you get to choose. The entire source code of the android os is viewable to anyone, making the progression and development easy and possible for anyone to do. Not sure what you mean about open source being bs .. What's the bs? It IS open source. And how about flash? How about having anything on your phone that apple doesn't want there? How about media management without itunes? How about a desktop with something other than endless square icons everywhere? How about a WIDGET? How about voice control that actually works? Built in turn by turn navigation that works just as well as the expensive iphone apps like tom tom. I could seriously go on and on all day. Tell me something, have you tried android? no? That's what I thought. I have tried both, this is no biased fan boy rant. In my opinion, android is for people who like to do what they want how they want, if that is not who you are, and you prefer to be forced to do everything a particular way, or else be forced to jump through apples hoops to be able to do it, then clearly iOS is perfect for you. And I'm no android fanboy. Like I said, I've had every iphone and loved it. But then I gave android a shot and saw what I was missing. I just think what is stopping apple from world domination is their undying need to control everything that their customers do. Google gets that, and operates in a nearly opposite way. apple is north korea, and google is the united states. Environments aside, where would you rather live?
      Wall of text.

      Please have the consideration to use the carriage return once in a while.
      Have you not heard about something called impact - or even readability ?
      That's what the carriage return is for.

      Though from the look of it, it's not worth the bother of reading anyway.
    1. rruready's Avatar
      rruready -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      Wall of text.

      Please have the consideration to use the carriage return once in a while.
      Have you not heard about something called impact - or even readability ?
      That's what the carriage return is for.

      Though from the look of it, it's not worth the bother of reading anyway.
      Wow, way to redirect when there were clearly valid points made lol. The man was asked to expand on his statement without using "open statements", which he did, and all you can do is comment on his lacking of using the return key lol. Fanboyism at it's best.

      I feel sorry for people like you. You won't even listen because of some misplaced sense of self righteousness. "He doesn't use the return key....surely his thoughts aren't worth hearing."

      Oh, I used the return key a couple of times for you...just so the conversation could continue and you could be included.
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      I decided to try out am Android device just befroe i upgraded to iphone 4. Got the Samsung Captive. LOVED Android...hated the phone. As soon as they release hardware i like with Android, ill make the switch again.
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      Quote Originally Posted by rruready View Post
      Wow, way to redirect when there were clearly valid points made lol. The man was asked to expand on his statement without using "open statements", which he did, and all you can do is comment on his lacking of using the return key lol. Fanboyism at it's best.

      I feel sorry for people like you. You won't even listen because of some misplaced sense of self righteousness. "He doesn't use the return key....surely his thoughts aren't worth hearing."

      Oh, I used the return key a couple of times for you...just so the conversation could continue and you could be included.
      No-one was talking to you.
      You had the choice to ignore it, but chose to butt in and continue to derail the thread.
      Way to go, hypocrite.

      If inconsiderate posters aren't publically asked to rectify their errors, neither they nor other posters guilty of the same thing will ever learn.

      Capiche ?
    1. shooger's Avatar
      shooger -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      No-one was talking to you.
      You had the choice to ignore it, but chose to butt in and continue to derail the thread.
      Way to go, hypocrite.

      If inconsiderate posters aren't publically asked to rectify their errors, neither they nor other posters guilty of the same thing will ever learn.

      Capiche ?
      Well if it will make you feel better, I'll go ahead and tell you to piss off as well, shall I? Inconsiderate posters guilty of formatting errors? Lmao, welcome to the interwebs, sorry to bother your excessively picky retinas.

      Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
      So you didn't know you could change the wall paper and other things you can donload from the Apple App store? Guess you never looked? Also if you overclocked thats way more then a JB, JB opens up the Iphone so we can customize even more and use apps not in the app store ( speaking of not having an opened mind jeez)its BS!!! You have to Root an android first, they are locked by the Carrier, to be "Open" you must be a super user, since my family also have ANdroids I did this and know your just here to pick fights. True JB So many programs I'm not going to name them, one backs up the who Iphone without Itunes..... I would like to see better ones though. So this is pointless Your so busy putting down Iphone that you do not realize all this exists now, this is again pointless. JB and App store has all of this, its like you have been on an Android FANBOY site and then came here with pointless points.
      Of course........ Wrong, Have the Captivate, galaxy s series one of the best currently out, its a good phone and a contender to Iphone 4 but I can't read such a silly post and leave it go, I agree no one should be a FanBoy, Apple or Android, so why not try?
      We are speaking within two entirely different mindsets: what can be done out of the box as opposed to what can be done with modifications. The poster I was replying to seemed to want to condemn android devices because of them being locked down as they come stock, when they can easily be modified by rooting. Or in other words, he is trying to compare a JB iphone to a non-rooted android phone... which is BS, so I responded with both JB/rooted devices and non-JB/rooted devices in mind. Believe me, I know what a jailbreak allows, I have jailbroken since 1.0 on the original jailbreakme.com only accessible from the emergency screen with special debugging dialing sequences. And I know of the cydia apps that allow things like drag and drop media management.

      I'm not here to pick fights. Hell, I wasn't even intending to get into a flame war in the first place. All I was trying to say was that people here should stop putting down android when they have clearly never tried it. It is on par with iOS at this point at the very least, and has always been, and likely will always be, more open to the user, which is something I value above many other things.

      I honestly feel like the problem is that android is an operating system, and iOS is more (or less, depending on how you look at things) than that. iOS is tied to ONE phone, updated yearly, and nothing else. The exclusivity of Apple's mobile operating system to this one high-end phone cannot be compared to the wide distribution of Google's android to hundreds of phones. Why? Because a lot of those phones SUCK. You cannot compare a G1 to and iphone 4, and I think that a lot of people who do not know any better tend to do that. It is like a computer. My Dell Dimension from 1995 running Windows XP is not the same as my custom built quad core super computer running Windows XP, not even close!

      If any of you have not checked out android on a good phone- The Evo 4G, the myTouch 4g, the Droid Incredible, or even the Leo HD2 (cheap price, nice specs) to name a few, then do yourself a favor and do it. If you don't like it, then go back to Apple, no one is stopping you. But don't put down something that you have not tried, as doing so only breeds the type of fanboy ignorance that litters the vast majority of iphone AND android users.
    1. rruready's Avatar
      rruready -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      No-one was talking to you.
      You had the choice to ignore it, but chose to butt in and continue to derail the thread.
      Way to go, hypocrite.

      If inconsiderate posters aren't publically asked to rectify their errors, neither they nor other posters guilty of the same thing will ever learn.

      Capiche ?
      I love how you lecture about "inconsiderate posters" after you tell someone on a public forum "no one was talking to you" in the very same post. Who's the hypocrite now you "inconsiderate poster"? I don't need someone to talk to me before I can add some input, so deal with it. The man was voicing his opinion and you didn't come across like you were worried about the "the consideration" of others....especially when you wrote "Though from the look of it, it's not worth the bother of reading anyway". You came across like jerk.

      Quote Originally Posted by shooger View Post
      Well if it will make you feel better, I'll go ahead and tell you to piss off as well, shall I? Inconsiderate posters guilty of formatting errors? Lmao, welcome to the interwebs, sorry to bother your excessively picky retinas.


      We are speaking within two entirely different mindsets: what can be done out of the box as opposed to what can be done with modifications. The poster I was replying to seemed to want to condemn android devices because of them being locked down as they come stock, when they can easily be modified by rooting. Or in other words, he is trying to compare a JB iphone to a non-rooted android phone... which is BS, so I responded with both JB/rooted devices and non-JB/rooted devices in mind. Believe me, I know what a jailbreak allows, I have jailbroken since 1.0 on the original jailbreakme.com only accessible from the emergency screen with special debugging dialing sequences. And I know of the cydia apps that allow things like drag and drop media management.

      I'm not here to pick fights. Hell, I wasn't even intending to get into a flame war in the first place. All I was trying to say was that people here should stop putting down android when they have clearly never tried it. It is on par with iOS at this point at the very least, and has always been, and likely will always be, more open to the user, which is something I value above many other things.

      I honestly feel like the problem is that android is an operating system, and iOS is more (or less, depending on how you look at things) than that. iOS is tied to ONE phone, updated yearly, and nothing else. The exclusivity of Apple's mobile operating system to this one high-end phone cannot be compared to the wide distribution of Google's android to hundreds of phones. Why? Because a lot of those phones SUCK. You cannot compare a G1 to and iphone 4, and I think that a lot of people who do not know any better tend to do that. It is like a computer. My Dell Dimension from 1995 running Windows XP is not the same as my custom built quad core super computer running Windows XP, not even close!

      If any of you have not checked out android on a good phone- The Evo 4G, the myTouch 4g, the Droid Incredible, or even the Leo HD2 (cheap price, nice specs) to name a few, then do yourself a favor and do it. If you don't like it, then go back to Apple, no one is stopping you. But don't put down something that you have not tried, as doing so only breeds the type of
      fanboy ignorance that litters the vast majority of iphone AND android users.
      I completely agree with this. Why? I have used both, and even though I can see that iOS has it's benefits to most people, I believe that Android can do more for ME with less hassle. I only know that because I have tried both. People on this site (with the exception of a select few) have not tried both, and tend to make generalized statements damning Android for problems they have never experienced themselves. I have friends who use Android and bash iOS like there's no tomorrow and I have to stop them and say that iOS has it's place in the world and not everyone wants to customize their homescreen and
      use widgets, etc. Some people want a simple, smooth, functioning phone and a stock iphone is the answer for that. Others, like myself, want to use a smartphone to it's fullest potential without walls, and without having to hack it. I believe Android is the answer for that. It really depends on what you want and your experiences. If someone wants to share their opinion, so be it. Don't criticize them for it just because it hurts your ego to hear that something else was better in their opinion. The fact is, all Shooger was trying to say (and continues to say) is that he gave Android a shot and was pleasantly surprised. He then recommended that others do the same before they judge, which is always sound advice in general. Some will like it, others won't...but you won't know until you try it. Until then, why bother putting down something that you have no experience with?
    1. clairegeorge6's Avatar
      clairegeorge6 -
      Many thanks to ur post. I love it.

      iphone case