• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Report: LCD, Not AMOLED Display for iPad 2



    On Wednesday morning, DigiTimes reported that Apple is now believed to have already decided on another key component supplier for the iPad 2. The Taiwanese industry publication dishes that Coretronic will supply backlight units to Chimei Innolux and LG Display. Chimei Innolux and LG will then make the LCD displays for the iPad 2.

    “Coretronic has reportedly entered the supply chain for the second generation iPad, and will supply BLUs to Chimei Innolux (CMI) and LG Display. It is understood that Coretronic is the only BLU supplier of CMI for iPad 2, while LG Display is getting iPad 2 BLUs from Coretronic and Radiant Opto-Electronics”
    The implication of the report is that the second-generation iPad will have an LCD, not AMOLED display (which doesn’t have a need for any form of back lighting). While many anticipated features of the iPad refresh are considered "no-brainers," like USB port and front and rear cameras, the type of screen to be used for the iPad upgrade has never been particularly clear. It now appears that folks anticipating an AMOLED display may have to wait for a third-generation iPad to get their wish.

    Despite inconsistencies in reports regarding what components and features will define the iPad 2, the consensus among suppliers and market analysts is that the second generation iPad will be on the market by the conclusion of 2011's first quarter. Suppliers, on the other hand, will naturally start shipments much sooner.

    DigiTimes
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Report: LCD, Not AMOLED Display for iPad 2 started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
    1. spazturtle's Avatar
      spazturtle -
      AMOLED is still relatively expensive so if Apple is planning on keeping the cost down AND increasing screen quality then LCD is the best option.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      As long as the resolution goes up to be on par with the iPhone 4 I'll be happy! I don't video chat on my iPhone so I don't think I would on an iPad. I never ever ever run below 50MB RAM even with a dozen mobile substrate apps installed so more RAM wouldn't entice me to upgrade. A USB port...? My 30pin connector does the job just fine. Ok so thinking "out loud"... unless the case design is super sexy and the screen res changes drastically.. or they come up with some MUST HAVE feature I don't see myself upgrading until iPad 3 which would be a first for me.
    1. corkey20000's Avatar
      corkey20000 -
      Sigh
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Aren't LCDs really expensive? I thought it would bump up the price of the iPad drastically
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      All Apple iDevices use LCD screens. Up until this year all high end TVs were LCD as well as all computer monitors. LED technology is new and expensive.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      All Apple iDevices use LCD screens. Up until this year all high end TVs were LCD as well as all computer monitors. LED technology is new and expensive.
      You mean Messany lied to us? How dare he
    1. TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
      TheGrandFinale2001 -
      Not sure it the display will change, but if they bump the other specs up I'm in.
    1. elite_jounin's Avatar
      elite_jounin -
      Correct me if i'm wrong but I recall Steve Jobs saying something like " The retina display/resolution was only capable on a LCD screen" during his iphone 4 release
    1. NessLookAlike's Avatar
      NessLookAlike -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      As long as the resolution goes up to be on par with the iPhone 4 I'll be happy! I don't video chat on my iPhone so I don't think I would on an iPad. I never ever ever run below 50MB RAM even with a dozen mobile substrate apps installed so more RAM wouldn't entice me to upgrade. A USB port...? My 30pin connector does the job just fine. Ok so thinking "out loud"... unless the case design is super sexy and the screen res changes drastically.. or they come up with some MUST HAVE feature I don't see myself upgrading until iPad 3 which would be a first for me.
      Hi, not meaning to troll here, but seriously, speak for yourself, Poseidon; the RAM on my iPad (which is currently running tethered 4.2.1) goes down to 12-20MB on a regular basis, and sometimes single digit if I'm loading up a drawing application or Pulse. More RAM is definitely needed, and will be needed if the device is to support fluid Facetime video chatting and the multitasking everyone had been promised for so long. Seriously, iOS4's multitasking is kinda nice, but I find myself having to quit multitask'd apps on a regular basis (with the tweak available on Cydia). This is also why there are "Remove iPhone 4/iPad Multitasking" tweaks available in Cydia.

      A healthy bump in CPU speed would be welcome as well, to stay competitive with other tablets coming into the market that hum along at 1GHz, but I'd really like for Apple to unlock the FM capabilities these devices have and unlock the bluetooth profiles for iPad and iPod Touch so that I can have private conversations with people over Facetime (or in other applications.. I'm looking at you, Groundwire).

      Also, you should turn on the SBSettings tweak that shows free memory next to the clock to really get an idea of memory usage.
    1. StellarZ's Avatar
      StellarZ -
      If they adopt OLED, it'll show up in the iPhone first IMO.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      As long as the resolution goes up to be on par with the iPhone 4 I'll be happy! I don't video chat on my iPhone so I don't think I would on an iPad. I never ever ever run below 50MB RAM even with a dozen mobile substrate apps installed so more RAM wouldn't entice me to upgrade. A USB port...? My 30pin connector does the job just fine. Ok so thinking "out loud"... unless the case design is super sexy and the screen res changes drastically.. or they come up with some MUST HAVE feature I don't see myself upgrading until iPad 3 which would be a first for me.
      FaceTime is one of the biggest gimmicks IMHO. Of the dozen or so iPhone 4 owners I know, including myself, have used FaceTime a collective total of about 35 minutes. I could see it being a good jobsite feature for letting HQ see the status/problem with something, but for just about every other situation a webcam and Skype does a much better job.

      I do think the device needs a boost in memory as I too find my iPad very low on ram on a rather regular basis.

      A USB port would be nice, but not required (and very unlikely). I'll take a higher res screen, more memory, 128gb storage (though I think they could easily fit 256 in it), and the typical battery upgrade.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      A USB port would be nice, but not required (and very unlikely). I'll take a higher res screen, more memory, 128gb storage (though I think they could easily fit 256 in it), and the typical battery upgrade.
      Way to think out side the box, there. Of course they're going to do all that stuff (maybe not the USB or 128 GB). In my opinion, that is not nearly enough to upgrade an iPad (I don't actually have one, because I have no need for it). Apple needs to start innovating or they're going to fall sorely behind. Half the stuff they add in OS upgrades is a polished version of a Cydia tweak, and if that's all they're adding to the iPad 2 it's not going to sell ahead of the Android tablets. Again, just my opinion.
    1. NessLookAlike's Avatar
      NessLookAlike -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Apple needs to start innovating or they're going to fall sorely behind. Half the stuff they add in OS upgrades is a polished version of a Cydia tweak,
      Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Its so ridiculous.

      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      and if that's all they're adding to the iPad 2 it's not going to sell ahead of the Android tablets.
      Forget the Android tablets, just check out the Play Book. The thing is a hardware power-house.

      The best move Apple could make would be to switch to AMOLED, which would improve battery life without them investing in any new battery enhancements and would allow for tablet readability in sunlight settings. There's also really no reason Apple couldn't just push its hand down the throats of AMOLED manufacturers and get an even greater price discount off of ordering in mega bulk for its devices. People keep saying, "the technology is too expensive! Apple can't put in AMOLED because it would cost too much!" People don't seem to understand that major corporations like Apple, Microsoft, don't pay street-value for parts, especially not from China.

      It's probably just being held off until iPad 4. You know Apple.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
      Hi, not meaning to troll here, but seriously, speak for yourself, Poseidon; the RAM on my iPad (which is currently running tethered 4.2.1) goes down to 12-20MB on a regular basis, and sometimes single digit if I'm loading up a drawing application or Pulse. More RAM is definitely needed, and will be needed if the device is to support fluid Facetime video chatting and the multitasking everyone had been promised for so long. Seriously, iOS4's multitasking is kinda nice, but I find myself having to quit multitask'd apps on a regular basis (with the tweak available on Cydia). This is also why there are "Remove iPhone 4/iPad Multitasking" tweaks available in Cydia.

      A healthy bump in CPU speed would be welcome as well, to stay competitive with other tablets coming into the market that hum along at 1GHz, but I'd really like for Apple to unlock the FM capabilities these devices have and unlock the bluetooth profiles for iPad and iPod Touch so that I can have private conversations with people over Facetime (or in other applications.. I'm looking at you, Groundwire).

      Also, you should turn on the SBSettings tweak that shows free memory next to the clock to really get an idea of memory usage.
      That whole rant of mine was me speaking for myself and only my own personal needs. Other people may need more ram.. I don't. That's why that post was all about ME.. Not a general statement about everyones wants needs and desires.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
      Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Its so ridiculous.



      Forget the Android tablets, just check out the Play Book. The thing is a hardware power-house.

      The best move Apple could make would be to switch to AMOLED, which would improve battery life without them investing in any new battery enhancements and would allow for tablet readability in sunlight settings. There's also really no reason Apple couldn't just push its hand down the throats of AMOLED manufacturers and get an even greater price discount off of ordering in mega bulk for its devices. People keep saying, "the technology is too expensive! Apple can't put in AMOLED because it would cost too much!" People don't seem to understand that major corporations like Apple, Microsoft, don't pay street-value for parts, especially not from China.

      It's probably just being held off until iPad 4. You know Apple.
      The wide gaping hole in this argument is that the mega-bulk discounts would also come into play for lower priced alternatives, i.e. the lcd screens. Sure they will get them for much cheaper than the general public can, but they will still have a higher price per piece margin than they would for a similarly sized LCD screen. If their costs go up, then our costs go up. Keep on trollin'.

      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Way to think out side the box, there. Of course they're going to do all that stuff (maybe not the USB or 128 GB). In my opinion, that is not nearly enough to upgrade an iPad (I don't actually have one, because I have no need for it). Apple needs to start innovating or they're going to fall sorely behind. Half the stuff they add in OS upgrades is a polished version of a Cydia tweak, and if that's all they're adding to the iPad 2 it's not going to sell ahead of the Android tablets. Again, just my opinion.
      No need for me to think out of the box on it, really. Sure I have another wish list for the 2nd gen iPad, but it is full of stuff that is purely fantasy (full OS, monster processor, etc.). I was simply stating my realistic hopes. Besides, Apple will always throw something in that didn't even cross my mind when wondering what I hoped for in the next revision of a particular product line.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      ^ Oh, ok, that makes sense.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
      The best move Apple could make would be to switch to AMOLED, which would improve battery life without them investing in any new battery enhancements and would allow for tablet readability in sunlight settings.
      Lol, think again! AMOLED screens suck in sunlight! My Nexus One has an AMOLED screen and I can't read jack when I go outside! So that would actually make things worse for the iPad. SAMOLED is a little better but still not as good as what I can see on my iPhone 4, which is everything. Check out the article.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Not to mention I've yet to see any AMOLED screen, that has better resolution than the 4g!
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Any form of LED screen would be nice.

      iPad 2 hopefully has a higher res screen and more RAM.
      AMOLED screens are soo nice. I feel iPhone 5 will have an AMOLED screen.

      An LED backlit LCD screen should be on the iPad 2.
    1. numanair's Avatar
      numanair -
      Have any of you ever seen a Zune HD in person? The contrast ratio is incredible and the blacks are really deep. Hopefully Apple will start using something with similar qualities.