[WARNING: Jailbreakers should NOT upgrade to iOS 5.1 until a corresponding jailbreak is released)
In what amounted to the first formal announcement at Apple's media event today, Tim Cook revealed that iOS 5.1 (for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch) is now available for OTA download.
In addition to addressing bugs affecting battery life, the 189MB update delivers a number of significant tweaks and improvements. Most notably, there's voice dictation support for the iPad, an updated Camera app, and the ability to delete photos from Photo Stream.
All told, here's what iOS 5.1 delivers:
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV programs and films on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes and issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls