• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Dev-Team Confirms Untethered redsn0w for Windows


    The announcement we've all been wanting to hear for some time, is finally getting close. The @redsn0w_testers has tweeted a confirmation that they will indeed release an untethered redsn0w for Windows, while the iOS 4.1 IPSW is still available, thus providing a "legal" jailbreak.

    Using the jailbreak Monte 4.1, this untethered release will be available for users using 4.2.1 firmware, so its assumed that you should have blobs on file for iOS 4.1x The application will run on Windows, however there will be a slight decrease in speed over the Mac version, but no one should really notice anything.

    Keep your eyes peeled, it feels like this release is right around the corner.

    Source: Twitter @redsn0w_testers
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Dev-Team Confirms Untethered redsn0w for Windows started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 185 Comments
    1. scirica's Avatar
      scirica -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickhi123 View Post
      I agree it's taken a long time to get a jailbreak but I think we need to be mindful that
      the members of the dev team have a life outside of this and we are essentially receiving
      a much needed jailbreak free of charge and no work on our behalf.

      As an aside, I'm curious about how and if this will work for the iPad as there was no
      4.1 version. Will there be a separate jailbreak with a 3.2.2 Monte?

      For this people who have not saved their 4.1 blobs my understanding is that you cannot downgrade which means that a significant number of people will still not be able to jailbreak their idevice. with this final release.

      I could be mistaken, but greenpois0n RC5 may not rely upon having previosly saved shsh blobs and will also be untethered.

      I hope 4.2.1 can be jail broken and untethered but the release of 4.3 which is just around the corner. Furthermore, by releasing this jailbreak now, this will allow apple to provide a patch on the final version of the 4.3 release..

      Is it worth it to have possibly burn an exploit (I dont know if this is the case) to provide a jailbreak people will use for maybe 3 weeks until iOS 4.3 is released.

      Any comments?
      Just one. Downgrading to 4.1 is not part of the Monte process. I think you are confused on that point.



      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. Ngmead's Avatar
      Ngmead -
      Quote Originally Posted by scirica View Post
      Wow! That is lucky! First I had heard of a jailbreaker scoring a previously jailbroken phone. You should play the lottery!



      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      Yeah I was really happy when I used tiny umbrella to get my 4.2.1 blobs and it came back with 4.1 and 4.2.1. Than cydia had it aswell. My old one had all the blobs from release so who ever gets that refurbished will be happy.
    1. rickinsav's Avatar
      rickinsav -
      Second this!!
    1. rickhi123's Avatar
      rickhi123 -
      I kind of figured as much.. I have my idevices unthread with the 4.2b3 and I upgraded my IPad to to 4.3 beta 2 a few days ago and than used the redsn0w 0.9.6RC8 to jailbreak it and it was actually successful. You can than use the tether from jailbreak zone. Obviously the 4.2b3 won't work as a Monte but you have a fully tethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3 beta 2 so obviously apple did not patch this (at least not the beta versions)
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      All these people asking the same questions...just wait for the actual release, it'll have detailed instructions on what you need to have and how to do it.
    1. Hack Jack's Avatar
      Hack Jack -
      Devs = Respect
    1. stfudvs's Avatar
      stfudvs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Qiqq3r View Post
      From my understanding, the release of iOS 4.3 will take more than 3 weeks, this might not be because Apple isn't done with it within the time, but more because of the fight between the Dev team.

      Apple will without a doubt hold on releasing it for as long as possible.


      I think you are extremely wrong.
      The whole story is more about holding on current security holes than not having an untethered jailbreak available.
      you may be right, and honestly id prefer to be wrong, but it seems to me that all the devs out there openly tal;king about 4.3 are talking about aslr, and new hurdles to overcome, so even if they held off on a vonerbility/exploit they have that would work now, doesnt always mean it will work with 4.3, aslr shows apple is making a better effort, so imho its safe to assume there will be delays
    1. Tario70's Avatar
      Tario70 -
      I think too many people here are being too short sighted right. Monte is an awesome development for all jailbreakers yet many seem to be crapping all over it. So lets break this down.

      Yes if you don't have your 4.1 blobs this currently does not untether you but this is about the future & not having to burn exploit for EVERY firmware.

      Back up your blobs now because in the future you'll always be able to jailbreak with Monte & you won't have to wait long because it won't be a new exploit every time, we'll just use our previous blobs to go untethered.

      How can anyone not be happy about that? Oh, I forgot, too much "me" attitude on here & not enough foresight of the future.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Yes go dev-team!

      Wish I had a Mac though...
    1. Ngmead's Avatar
      Ngmead -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickhi123 View Post
      I kind of figured as much.. I have my idevices unthread with the 4.2b3 and I upgraded my IPad to to 4.3 beta 2 a few days ago and than used the redsn0w 0.9.6RC8 to jailbreak it and it was actually successful. You can than use the tether from jailbreak zone. Obviously the 4.2b3 won't work as a Monte but you have a fully tethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3 beta 2 so obviously apple did not patch this (at least not the beta versions)
      These devices will always be jailbreakable (teathered) until Apple comes out with new hardware. So your devices should be jailbreakable for life ( well as long as you have them that is) its the unteathered part that gets complicated sometimes.
    1. Qiqq3r's Avatar
      Qiqq3r -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
      I think too many people here are being too short sighted right. Monte is an awesome development for all jailbreakers yet many seem to be crapping all over it. So lets break this down.

      Yes if you don't have your 4.1 blobs this currently does not untether you but this is about the future & not having to burn exploit for EVERY firmware.

      Back up your blobs now because in the future you'll always be able to jailbreak with Monte & you won't have to wait long because it won't be a new exploit every time, we'll just use our previous blobs to go untethered.

      How can anyone not be happy about that? Oh, I forgot, too much "me" attitude on here & not enough foresight of the future.
      Thank you so much for this.
      This post should be stickied somewhere people will see it every time they go on their computer. Or possibly on the inside of their eyelids, because people really have to face the truth and you just opened the door for it.
    1. XFaega's Avatar
      XFaega -
      Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
      This may be one noobs humble opinion but it appears that Apple is winning the "cat and mouse" game. It seems like forever since 4.2.1 came out and yet an untethered jailbreak for most idevices still isn't readily available. Don't get me wrong, I know Devs work hard but it seems that Apple's anti jailbreaking measures are working to a degree.
      Apple hasn't won anything or is winning. The Dev team is saving exploites for future use. I know your new but you need to get cought up before clamming some thing you know little about. Anyway I rather have other options then burning the only one. Don't join the band wagon of whinners when you know so little. Just be patient.
    1. zeroskater61's Avatar
      zeroskater61 -
      Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
      This may be one noobs humble opinion but it appears that Apple is winning the "cat and mouse" game. It seems like forever since 4.2.1 came out and yet an untethered jailbreak for most idevices still isn't readily available. Don't get me wrong, I know Devs work hard but it seems that Apple's anti
      jailbreaking measures are working to a degree.

      The reason they never released this JB was because apple kept announcing a release for a new firmware within the first few weeks after they had just released 4.2.1
      And if the devs would've released the JB back then apple would've only patched that exploits in the new firmware there making the devs use or find another exploit to insert the JB into. But seeing is how apple is taking long releasing 4.3 and the exploit "monte" is an old one the devs already used before to JB they really won't loose much since there reserving the other exploits they found for future firmwares.
    1. athleticswimmer's Avatar
      athleticswimmer -
      Oh! everyday I go on this website im always hoping for a jailbreak, I really need ios4 on my ipad but I want to be untethered, hopefully There will be an untethered 4.3 for ipad 1g....I admire the devs alot and appreciate their work, hopefully they'll get evreything goin again.
    1. PermaBan's Avatar
      PermaBan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Qiqq3r View Post
      ...people are extremely ungrateful towards the dev team.

      People have to realize that these guys do all of this for free and all they ever expect is a simple thanks. But all they get from people (/douches) are complaints on how slow they are making things work.

      If we don't start thanking the dev teams what most likely will happen is that they will get sick of doing it and quit releasing things to us.
      Many people are complaining when the Dev Team deserves to be thanked, sure. However, people ARE complaining for a reason.

      When the jailbreaks came quickly within days of new firmware, nobody complained. However, when somebody promises an untethered jailbreak by Christmas and there still isn't a convenient way to do it until over a month after, people are going to get frustrated. I'm frustrated. I still have no way to jailbreak. I'm thankful and I know these guys are the ones that do everything for free, but you have to understand where the complaints are coming from. Just saying.
    1. KBI2113's Avatar
      KBI2113 -
      Sweet Jesus on a cross-shaped sugar cookie! Thanks for this amazing news!
    1. greeneyes5066's Avatar
      greeneyes5066 -
      The announcement we've been waiting for is ..... finally.... not here yet! Wow nice writing. What a complete waste of space. News is not news unless it's news. Anyone who want progress reports can follow on twitter. MMI really needs to stop this!
    1. Ngmead's Avatar
      Ngmead -
      Quote Originally Posted by PermaBan View Post
      Many people are complaining when the Dev Team deserves to be thanked, sure. However, people ARE complaining for a reason.

      When the jailbreaks came quickly within days of new firmware, nobody complained. However, when somebody promises an untethered jailbreak by Christmas and there still isn't a convenient way to do it until over a month after, people are going to get frustrated. I'm frustrated. I still have no way to jailbreak. I'm thankful and I know these guys are the ones that do everything for free, but you have to understand where the complaints are coming from. Just saying.
      Ummm....Yes you do the latest firmware on every device is jailbreakable at the moment. Its up to you weather you want a teathered jailbreak or not. I have been teathered for the last month and have had no problems what so ever. I would like to be unteathered, but I am happy that I'm jailbroken at all at this point. Its called redsn0w in case your wondering.

      Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
      Thats the problem with the Dev team, its so easy for them to think everyone can do these "Easy" things, no, its not easy, I just spent 4 hours of work getting a mod to work for a game for instance, (RTW)

      Cydia is messed up on my wife's 3g and it needs to be restored and JB'd again, but I do not know for sure if her blob is saved for 4.1 and then how do I do it? Simple easy? LOL


      This time its stupid and does not help a lot of people like it should,

      Thankful? For what, something my 70 year old father could of come up with? LOL
      You dont need blobs for a 3g as far as I know. Unless you meant the 3gs. And if your 70 year old father could come up with this stuff why can't you do it? Most 70 year olds don't know much of anything about a computer much less a smart phone.
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Interesting.... "Just around the corner" Anyone happen to know what size the corner is? Just wondering... lol
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      awsome cant wait