• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Corning's Gorilla Glass 2 likely to be used for iPhone 5


    Corning previously revealed its Gorilla Glass 2, which is said to be 20% lighter, thinner, and stronger than the current Gorilla Glass at CES 2012. It was rumored that Apple would begin to use the newer Gorilla Glass in their products but the relationship between the two companies has remained a mystery.

    The relationship between the two companies originally started when Steve Jobs visited Corning Headquarters in 2006 and told Wendell Weeks (the CEO) not to be afraid of making things. Corning didn’t end up making anything worth Jobs’ while though as none of the company’s materials made it to Apple’s products after that. Furthermore, the company wasn’t even included in Apple’s supplier list last year but things might look different this upcoming year.

    It seems that Apple may have slipped with information on their new Job Creation page and confirmed its new relationship with Corning:

    For example, this figure also includes workers in Texas who manufacture processors for iOS products, Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone, and FedEx and UPS employees.
    Corning is said to be making Apple’s iOS device glass and may even be providing some materials for the upcoming MacBook Pro lineup as well. With the impressive specifications of the new material, it isn’t a surprise to learn that they will be a part of the upcoming Apple products.

    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Corning's Gorilla Glass 2 likely to be used for iPhone 5 started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 40 Comments
    1. CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
      CCNPJediHacker -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Well if you've seen the youtube videos of iPhone vs Galaxy then you will see the glass on the iPhone is pathetic so it needs to be stronger.
      I dont care if its thicker or heavier it needs to be strong so if you do drop it by accident then it wont crack or break which atm all iphones do. If you drop an iPhone then you need to buy a new one. If you drop a Galaxy you pick it up and keep going.
      Cock alert!
    1. dfheje's Avatar
      dfheje -
      Quote Originally Posted by AkiraPsychic View Post
      Hold on to it, problem solved, it isn't a toy, it shouldn't be treated as such.
      This is the same logic from Barney from HIMYM, "Whenever I get sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead."
      It makes sense in one perspective, but its retarded.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      I don't get what all this arguing is about. Of course it would be good if the next iPhone had a stronger screen. Other phones have more resistant screens. No one even said that the Galaxy was better than the iPhone because it has a stronger screen.
    1. micaiah12's Avatar
      micaiah12 -
      I've had mine in a otterbox. I have dropped it so many times I have lost count. My iPhone is still in tact. If you have a problem with dropping your iPhone just buy a case.
    1. elmanimal's Avatar
      elmanimal -
      Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
      But gorillas like bananas, not Apples.
      The mountain gorilla diet is mostly plants like celery, nettles, bamboo and thistles, and they are quite particular about which parts of each plant they like to eat. Sometimes they also find ant nests and eat the ants, along with an occasional worm or grub. There isn't much fruit where mountain gorillas live, but they do love to eat the wild berries that grow in their habitat. The mountain gorillas spend a lot of their time traveling in search of food. Their food is normally evenly distributed in their habitat and abundantly available throughout the year. Only a few mountain gorilla foods are seasonal, such as bamboo shoots, which are one of the gorillas' favorite delicacies. The full-grown mountain gorilla diet can include up to 60 pounds (25 kg) of vegetation a day! So obviously its going for RIM's Blackberry devices........................true story. And knowing is half the battle.
    1. tbare83's Avatar
      tbare83 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      Gotta be one nimrod in every batch I guess. That comment is getting as old and stupid as the "first" comments.


      Need to learn how to hold on to your phone there naked, no need to drop it all the time.
      "they're"... Just because you called the guy you quoted a nimrod...
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by tbare83 View Post
      "they're"... Just because you called the guy you quoted a nimrod...
      "No need to hold on to your phone they are, Naked" is more correct than "No need to hold on to your phone there, Naked"?
    1. tdawg3000's Avatar
      tdawg3000 -
      who cares if you drop your phone, its the little scratches that are caused by keys or something stupid in your pocket that are annoying. A stronger screen would be legit to stop the scratching!!!
    1. tbare83's Avatar
      tbare83 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      "No need to hold on to your phone they are, Naked" is more correct than "No need to hold on to your phone there, Naked"?
      No comma in the original post... And no "no," either... so assuming he meant the phone is naked and must be held, then yes, "they are" makes more sense...
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by tbare83 View Post
      No comma in the original post... And no "no," either... so assuming he meant the phone is naked and must be held, then yes, "they are" makes more sense...
      I did totally fail at quoting that post. A comma is also needed to make your version make sense, so let's just attack his non use of commas. :P
    1. tsuyaa's Avatar
      tsuyaa -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hondamaker View Post
      You mean iPhone (6), since technically the 4S is the fifth iPhone. But I digress....
      And iPhone 4 wasn't technically the number 4 because there was 3GS.
    1. Doran's Avatar
      Doran -
      Quote Originally Posted by tsuyaa View Post
      And iPhone 4 wasn't technically the number 4 because there was 3GS.
      Wait..... What???? The iPhone 4 wasn't the 4th generation iPhone??? Oooook. I was under the impression that there are 5 versions of the iPhone now. I'm going to Google this once and for all..... Never mind, it's not that important.
    1. RoloDiva13's Avatar
      RoloDiva13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rayzah_blade View Post
      100% agreement. Big kids hold should hold their devices like big kids. Accidents can happen, sure. Which is why big kids also carry insurance.
      +2
    1. TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
      TheDirtyDiddler -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      You are not good with patterns...

      1st - iPhone
      2nd - iPhone 3G
      3rd - iPhone 3GS
      4th - iPhone 4
      5th - iPhone 4S
      6th - iPhone 6 if you are a moron. otherwise iPhone 5...
      7th - ...followed by a iPhone 5S.
      You realize that the '3' in the iPhone 3G signifies it's ability to use the 3G network, right? It is not an indicator of it being the third phone. It wasn't until the iPhone 4 that the numbers began representing the generations. 4S is what it is because it has the same design as the 4 and only small incremental upgrades. That's the same reason the 3GS got it's name. If they do call it the iPhone 5 (like it even matters), it will simply be because it sounds more iconic than iPhone 6. the patterns actually DON'T point to it being 5.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by tsuyaa View Post
      And iPhone 4 wasn't technically the number 4 because there was 3GS.
      Lord... iPhone 4 WAS the fourth generation of iPhone

      iPhone <-- 1st Gen
      iPhone 3G <-- 2nd Gen
      iPhone 3GS <-- 3rd Gen
      iPhone 4 <-- 4th Gen
      iPhone 4S <-- 5th Gen
    1. clive.weller's Avatar
      clive.weller -
      When the iPhone 4s was launched last year EVERYBODY had said it would be the iPhone 5 and it was'nt. Why do we not wait for Apple to announce what the next one will be, then we will all know for sure instead of all this silly and petty argument about something that really does't matter.
    1. smuj29's Avatar
      smuj29 -
      Ive loved all my iphones, my 3G and 3GS were bullet proof without a case and for the couple of years i had them had been bounced of all sorts of surfaces with only a few nicks and scratches... Now the i4 and 4S hmmm i learnt from my i4 to always have a case on as it seems the glass is designed to shatter into a billion pieces and at £130 i think it was from apple for front screen repair,its so expensive,considering how much we pay for these devices.
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I have trouble making sense of this argument. The phone is not a toy therefor it should not be made of sturdier materials? We don't need sturdier materials because we can buy insurance? I know I would simply rather the phone NOT break (and I have never broken a phone yet) in an accident due to superior materials and design than have to deal with insurance. Gorilla glass is also harder than standard glass, thus reducing the chance of scratching. I see no reason not to be happy about this addition.



      I don't think the verdict is final on this. Rumors are that the only reason we got a 4S is because Apple couldn't get the "true" successor to market on time. Either way, two examples of an 'S' hardly dictate a pattern, IMO.

      Here's another example:

      2,4,6,?

      What would you say next? You could say a few things. The most obvious would be 8, but what about 10, or even 30 (I am sure there are others).

      Or, here's a thought, there really needs be no pattern at all, because Apple will sell the next gen iPhone regardless of its naming scheme, and the only morons will be those who are calling other names.
      I agree. If you haven't noticed members of MMI argue for the sake of arguing. Does it really matter that much as to what the next gen iPhone will be named? Are people not going to buy it because of its name (I'm sure there's somebody out there that has a phobia of a certain number)? These constant debates are old as well as useless.
    1. iSari's Avatar
      iSari -
      Apple must use something good next time for the back and front of their iPhone cause the fragile easy to break iphone is not right!

      I'm using froggy (kind of ugly case) so I don't worry if I accidentally drop it.
    1. Tucnepo's Avatar
      Tucnepo -
      Given apple named their third gen ipad the new ipad, then next thing you find out they call it the new iphone. Totally make sense