• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple to Possibly Update Mac Pro with Intel Xeon E5 Chip


    According to The Inquirer, Intelís Sandy Bridge E server chips, which are also known as the Xeon E5 series are set to debut this week. The chips have been in the distribution channel for several weeks now (according to the report), which means that manufacturers who plan to utilize the chips, will be able to get them up and running. It is rumored that Apple is expected to use these chips in an updated version of the Mac Pro.

    As of right now, the benchmarks still havenít been released but the Xeon E5 chips are said to be a large improvement over the chips found in the current Mac pro, which hasnít been updated since the middle of 2010. Competitors such as Dell have already begun announcing products based on the new chip, meaning that Apple could be ready with Mac Pro updates as well in the near future in the sake of keeping up with competition.

    Furthermore, Apple is likely to take advantage of the 6-core and 8-coore E5 2600 series chips for its dual-processor Mac Pro configurations while focusing on the quad-core and 6-core E5-1600 chips for its lower-end single-processor models. Aside from the new processors, other upgrades for the Mac Pros also seem to be falling into place such as the switch back to NVIDIA graphics cards, moving away from the AMD based graphic cards found in the current models.

    A Mac Pro update is also based on Apple deciding whether or not the line is worth keeping alive. It was reported previously that Apple was questioning the future of the Mac Pro line, while taking a look at whether it should continue offering the professional-level workstation as sales have continued to decline and shift towards notebook machines. The current specifications have become outdated as Apple and other tech companies have waited for Intel to release updated processors.

    Source: The Inquirer
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple to Possibly Update Mac Pro with Intel Xeon E5 Chip started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. fbiryujin's Avatar
      fbiryujin -
      This article is a nice thing to see. (minus the last paragraph) A Mac Pro refresh would make my day! I've been dying to get one, but I want to wait until a refresh, because I want thunderbolt, and to not buy a two year old computer.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      An update would be nice. I really hope they don't get rid of the MBP's though, it's all I buy when it comes to laptops. I've never found the MacBook or MBA that great.
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      The last paragraph was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this article. Honestly, i'd be surprised if they refresh the Mac Pro. With laptops becoming increasingly popular and cheaper, desktops will become a thing of the past. Since Apple is always at the forefront of new technology, I doubt they'll refresh a dying product.

      I understand some businesses may need the increased power of a Mac Pro, and perhaps they can keep them available for the high price that businesses can afford, but I just don't see it being readily available to individual consumers.

      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      An update would be nice. I really hope they don't get rid of the MBP's though, it's all I buy when it comes to laptops. I've never found the MacBook or MBA that great.
      They're talking about Mac Pro. Not the Macbook Pro. The Mac Pro is the Apple desktop and like any other desktop has the ability to pack MUCH more punch.
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      I was planning on buying one, I own a music production company and being that I only use macs the pro is top of the line, however after using a Mac mini with considerable power my assumption is a smaller redesign of the Mac pro wouldn't be to difficult. If they made a smaller Mac pro I'd buy that in a heart beat even if they had to sacrifice a few ports or hardware bays in the enclosure, hopefully that'll entail a price drop so I could buy a house with the money I saved
    1. JedixJarf's Avatar
      JedixJarf -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
      I was planning on buying one, I own a music production company and being that I only use macs the pro is top of the line, however after using a Mac mini with considerable power my assumption is a smaller redesign of the Mac pro wouldn't be to difficult. If they made a smaller Mac pro I'd buy that in a heart beat even if they had to sacrifice a few ports or hardware bays in the enclosure, hopefully that'll entail a price drop so I could buy a house with the money I saved
      The current i7 Sandy bridge iMacs would be plenty of power for you. Or just build your own hackintosh.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Knowing Apple, they will probably force the iMac down Mac Pro owners' throats and then expect you to use Thunderbolt as it advances in usefulness for hardware add-ons.

      If everyone hasn't figured out by now, Apple likes creating all-in-one machines. The Mac Pro doesn't fit into that category.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      The last paragraph was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this article. Honestly, i'd be surprised if they refresh the Mac Pro. With laptops becoming increasingly popular and cheaper, desktops will become a thing of the past. Since Apple is always at the forefront of new technology, I doubt they'll refresh a dying product.

      I understand some businesses may need the increased power of a Mac Pro, and perhaps they can keep them available for the high price that businesses can afford, but I just don't see it being readily available to individual consumers.


      They're talking about Mac Pro. Not the Macbook Pro. The Mac Pro is the Apple desktop and like any other desktop has the ability to pack MUCH more punch.
      You are completely right my good sir!! That's great news, thank you for bringing that to my attention, it's made me a lot happier today!
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      Yeah... who can afford the Mac Pro line? Not me, thats who! My baseline iMac mid 2011 model is just fine - especially with the upgraded and maxed out RAM! 16GB baby! Now all I need is a solid state drive and I'm cooking!
    1. fbiryujin's Avatar
      fbiryujin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Knowing Apple, they will probably force the iMac down Mac Pro owners' throats and then expect you to use Thunderbolt as it advances in usefulness for hardware add-ons.

      If everyone hasn't figured out by now, Apple likes creating all-in-one machines. The Mac Pro doesn't fit into that category.
      I really don't like the iMac. What if I want to use 2 21" monitors (what my desk will support) instead of a 27" iMac? What if I want to be able to fix components on my own without the all-in-one casing hassle? What if I need the raw power for my small business, dirty pirate torrents, or whatever excuse you choose? If they do away with Mac Pro, they will be losing video editors, and graphic artists en masse. Also they will kill my dream of one day owning a Mac Pro (which I am almost saved up for a beast model)
    1. ceramicwhite's Avatar
      ceramicwhite -
      What about Ivy bridge?