• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Black SMS Prevents Prying Eyes From Reading Your Texts

    Why am I sending myself secret messages? Because no one else will...

    Some people are mischievous, other people just curious. Some are jealous, and others envious. Whatever the reason, I'm sure many of you have caught, friends, parents, significant others, siblings, or strangers snooping through your phones and checking your messages (or maybe you're the on doing the snooping).

    Either way, Black SMS helps prevent unwanted eyes from looking at your messages.

    There are numerous “Secret SMS” and “Encrypted SMS” messaging systems out there. Most work by allowing users to type a message, encrypt the message, password protect the message, and send the message as a link to the recipient who can then click on the link, enter the password and see the message. These applications appear to create simple encrypted websites that need a password in order to view the content.

    Black SMS still doesn’t encrypt and decrypt messages within the iOS messaging app (I haven’t been able to find one that does), but the usual messy link is replaced with a simple black messaging box. Oddly enough iOS recognizes the black box as an image, which when opened is a simple a variation of the same pattern each time. Something tells me each pattern associated with the black message box is uniquely developed and encoded with the message information embedded inside.

    The iPhone blows up the pattern on the left and appears as a crazy gradient of colors when viewed directly from the messaging app.

    Sending a protected text is simple, but it does take a few steps:



    Black SMS allows users to send the same encrypted message with the same password to multiple other users as well. The only catch is they need to have Black SMS installed as well to view the content. The big question is, what bad choices have you made where the content of your text messages could get you in trouble with the law/girlfriend/wife/husband/boyfriend/neighbor/parents/brother/sister/roommate/boss/boss’s wife or husband or any other person that would want to look through your phone?

    Black SMS is currently available for free in The App Store for a limited time. The UI is simple, the purpose clear, and it’s implementation more “secret” feeling than sending someone a link. But, I still want an encrypted messaging app/tweak that does all the password entering, coding, and decoding on the same screen without having to switch apps.

    Still, Black SMS is worth a look, especially while it’s free.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Black SMS Prevents Prying Eyes From Reading Your Texts started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. wlmngtn310's Avatar
      wlmngtn310 -
      way too much work...
      Todays society text's well over the allotted character cap, so going through the trouble of reading and receiving text would be a PITA.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      And we jailbreak to make encrypting our messages much easier.
    1. chstriker11's Avatar
      chstriker11 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      And we jailbreak to make encrypting our messages much easier.
      This seems more steganography than encryption. in any case, if someone were to make a GOOD sms encryption app, I don't see why apple would disallow it from the App Store. encrypting messages is not why we jailbreak. its a useless caveat to jailbreaking...
    1. plcrules's Avatar
      plcrules -
      apple wouldn't allow it because u would have to modify a system file making it unreadable to the system messages app and with jailbreaking ur allowed to do that

      and i want an sms app that simply hides conversations i haven't found 1 yet that does it
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
      Why am I sending myself secret messages? Because no one else will...
      You never asked, bud. You never asked.

      Quote Originally Posted by chstriker11 View Post
      This seems more steganography than encryption. in any case, if someone were to make a GOOD sms encryption app, I don't see why apple would disallow it from the App Store. encrypting messages is not why we jailbreak. its a useless caveat to jailbreaking...
      So you really think I meant that everyone jailbreaks only to protect our messages? It's just one of the wonderful things we have access to that non-jailbreakers do not.
    1. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      whats that weather app he has in the time bar?
    1. jwil736's Avatar
      jwil736 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      whats that weather app he has in the time bar?
      Weather icon
    1. Lohand's Avatar
      Lohand -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      whats that weather app he has in the time bar?
      its a feature of WeatherIcon
    1. headstrain0z's Avatar
      headstrain0z -
      Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
      apple wouldn't allow it because u would have to modify a system file making it unreadable to the system messages app and with jailbreaking ur allowed to do that

      and i want an sms app that simply hides conversations i haven't found 1 yet that does it

      You should be more worried about the cellular companies snooping and their cooperation with the Patriot Act rather than someone looking at messages from your physical phone. WORRY ABOUT RETENTION PERIODS OF YOUR CELLULAR PROVIDER! If you're that worried get an app similar to AppLocker - or just AppLocker itself - and password protect you applications, simple as hell. Furthermore this app Black SMS is in the Apple AppStore NOT Cydia, so YES Apple DID ALLOW this.
    1. Z¡G's Avatar
      Z¡G -
      Quote Originally Posted by headstrain0z View Post
      You should be more worried about the cellular companies snooping and their cooperation with the Patriot Act rather than someone looking at messages from your physical phone. WORRY ABOUT RETENTION PERIODS OF YOUR CELLULAR PROVIDER! If you're that worried get an app similar to AppLocker - or just AppLocker itself - and password protect you applications, simple as hell. Furthermore this app Black SMS is in the Apple AppStore NOT Cydia, so YES Apple DID ALLOW this.
      Yeah....they allowed it in the App Stote....but do a little research to see how many apps they let slip in the App Store only to be removed a week later. ALOT! Including apps that allow tethering without a tethering plan. Those were the big ones. I bet this gets removed in time.