• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • German iOS Users Lose Push E-Mail as Motorola Awarded Injunction Against Apple



    Earlier today Apple turned off its iCloud and MobileMe push e-mail services for users in Germany in compliance with an injunction brought against Apple by Motorola Mobility.

    German iCloud and MobileMe users can still receive emails, but only when they have the Mail app open or when the app is set to check for e-mail (welcome back to 2009). Normally users have the choice of setting e-mails to be pushed out to their iDevices, but these services will only be available through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and similar services.

    Apple is already appealing the decision. The patent in question dates back to the pager-era of mobile technology and has little to do with modern mobile technology according to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. So far Apple has been relatively unscathed in the ongoing patent war, but Mueller points out this injunction changes that.
    “This is the first time that Apple's customers (in one particular country) start to see and feel the effects of the ongoing patent disputes in the smartphone and tablet computer industry in the form of a (temporary) removal of certain functionality.” — Mueller
    Apple has recommended German iDevice owners set up their Mail apps to retrieve new emails rather than wait for them to be pushed to their devices. Considering how fast the courts move, German iOS users should prepare for an extended period without push-email.

    Source: FOSS Patents [ via PC World]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: German iOS Users Lose Push E-Mail as Motorola Awarded Injunction Against Apple started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 25 Comments
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Given how SLOW the courts move, you mean.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Now that apple users are feeling the effect of these tit-for-tat lawsuits maybe apple will rethink its strategy of trying to monopolize the market and drive off competition with litigation instead of innovation.
    1. Maxime Caudebec's Avatar
      Maxime Caudebec -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      Now that apple users are feeling the effect of these tit-for-tat lawsuits maybe apple will rethink its strategy of trying to monopolize the market and drive off competition with litigation instead of innovation.
      Apple will not, the mobile market is to competitive at the moment for apple to do such a thing.
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      Now that apple users are feeling the effect of these tit-for-tat lawsuits maybe apple will rethink its strategy of trying to monopolize the market and drive off competition with litigation instead of innovation.
      Eh, i'd say Apple has been been pretty innovative, as well as other companies have. Litigation has been a tool in business for years now, Apple isn't the first and wont be the last to use it to get/stay ahead.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      And not one of the people who always comment about how evil Apple is will say the same thing about Motorola.
    1. rote79's Avatar
      rote79 -
      Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!
    1. docmagoo2's Avatar
      docmagoo2 -
      One word - daft
    1. scroogelives's Avatar
      scroogelives -
      It's a poor attempt by an dying company! Prob hoping someone will get tired of them and buy them out!
    1. zrevai's Avatar
      zrevai -
      Too bad Apple didn't use some of that $80Billion to outbid Google for the Motorola Mobility Patent Portfolio. Even the latest Moto Droid RAZR won't have nearly the impact the original flip phone RAZR did 8ish years ago. Goodbye Moto…
    1. ill_graphics's Avatar
      ill_graphics -
      Quote Originally Posted by rote79 View Post
      Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!
      Samsung makes almost all the part of an iPhone, you kind of are buying a Samsung phone
    1. GooseG's Avatar
      GooseG -
      Quote Originally Posted by ill_graphics View Post
      Samsung makes almost all the part of an iPhone, you kind of are buying a Samsung phone
      Just because they make the parts doesn't mean it's their phone. They didn't design any of it.
    1. Kenn@rd.'s Avatar
      Kenn@rd. -
      Quote Originally Posted by rote79 View Post
      Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!
      Um, actually, Motorola makes pretty decent products remember the "brick"(cell phone)? Motorola pagers, man that's something that we can't forget! And eh, yeah, it's the past and all and those were probably good times as well for them, but this now with Motorola -v- apple this is just stupid. Greed... Humph...I'm like Rodney king,"can't we just all get along"? Lol!!

      Quote Originally Posted by rote79 View Post
      Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!
      And furthermore, wasn't the first apple application on a the Motorola razr? Is this what it's all about?
    1. scroogelives's Avatar
      scroogelives -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenn@rd. View Post
      Um, actually, Motorola makes pretty decent products remember the "brick"(cell phone)? Motorola pagers, man that's something that we can't forget! And eh, yeah, it's the past and all and those were probably good times as well for them, but this now with Motorola -v- apple this is just stupid. Greed... Humph...I'm like Rodney king,"can't we just all get along"? Lol!!



      And furthermore, wasn't the first apple application on a the Motorola razr? Is this what it's all about?
      Maybe they are pissed cause they never made the iPhone lol
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by rote79 View Post
      Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!
      and a phone made of glass is better when said phone

      - shatters into a thousand pieces when dropped from waist high
      - lacks 4G speeds
      - has ZERO expansion slots
      - has an underclocked CPU
      - inferior sound quality
      - tiny screen
      - an extremely high rate of app crashes
      - battery issues
      - antennae issues
      - missing SIM issues

      and so much more. modmyi = mod your iphone to make it work more like an Android phone.

      Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
      Just because they make the parts doesn't mean it's their phone. They didn't design any of it.
      apple did not design the chip and apple did not design the display and capacitive touch is an invention of LG. but none of that really matters. the only thing that does is do you like your phone.
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      and a phone made of glass is better when said phone

      - shatters into a thousand pieces when dropped from waist high
      - lacks 4G speeds
      - has ZERO expansion slots
      - has an underclocked CPU
      - inferior sound quality
      - tiny screen
      - an extremely high rate of app crashes
      - battery issues
      - antennae issues
      - missing SIM issues

      and so much more. modmyi = mod your iphone to make it work more like an Android phone.



      apple did not design the chip and apple did not design the display and capacitive touch is an invention of LG. but none of that really matters. the only thing that does is do you like your phone.
      Lol, you guys are so bothered by other people's decisions to purchase what they want. That's really what this all comes down to.
    1. Maxime Caudebec's Avatar
      Maxime Caudebec -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      and a phone made of glass is better when said phone

      - shatters into a thousand pieces when dropped from waist high
      - lacks 4G speeds
      - has ZERO expansion slots
      - has an underclocked CPU
      - inferior sound quality
      - tiny screen
      - an extremely high rate of app crashes
      - battery issues
      - antennae issues
      - missing SIM issues

      and so much more. modmyi = mod your iphone to make it work more like an Android phone.



      apple did not design the chip and apple did not design the display and capacitive touch is an invention of LG. but none of that really matters. the only thing that does is do you like your phone.
      And guess what, iPhone is still the number one smart phone in the world . There is a reason for that. If you hate iPhone so much than go away to the android forums
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
      Lol, you guys are so bothered by other people's decisions to purchase what they want. That's really what this all comes down to.
      No, people are upset about the moronic ways others try to justify what they bought.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rote79 View Post
      Do they think i will buy a Motorola cell phone if they win all this injunctions against apple!? I will never buy a Motorola cell phone, even if they are the last cell phone manufacturer in the world! The same for Samsung... Nice looking plastic waste!
      When Motorola gets injunction on Apple stealing 3G technology, Apple is forced to finally pay to use their invention. Every phone you buy that uses 3G technology you will finally be paying Motorola something. So even if they do not manufacture cell phone you are giving Motorola money. I guess you look carefully when you buy iPad 3 because Samsung is one of the company that supplies LCD screen for that, because obviously you do not want to buy one with Samsung screen and rather have some less reputable manufacturer of the retina display because Samsung is nice looking plastic waste right?

      It is funny how people react when the shoes is on the other foot, no problem with Apple filing lawsuitsssss (that is not enough s to show how many lawsuits Apple is filing) against others and win but when Apple is caught stealing they protect a thief.



      Aren't you wondering why Apple has yet to go into "4G/LTE"? My guess is they have yet to obtain the licensing rights, and everyone who has a stake in this is looking at Apple closely. As soon as Apple releases one they will make sure they get paid or file injunction before the phone gets released.
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      No, people are upset about the moronic ways others try to justify what they bought.
      Eh, it's what THEY bought, I still don't see the point. I always thought it took far more energy than necessary to dislike something. It's your head, ear, fingers, hand, eyes, if you want a Samsung phone, feel free. If you think that it's better AWESOME! I chose and iPhone...there's that.

      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      When Motorola gets injunction on Apple stealing 3G technology, Apple is forced to finally pay to use their invention. Every phone you buy that uses 3G technology you will finally be paying Motorola something. So even if they do not manufacture cell phone you are giving Motorola money. I guess you look carefully when you buy iPad 3 because Samsung is one of the company that supplies LCD screen for that, because obviously you do not want to buy one with Samsung screen and rather have some less reputable manufacturer of the retina display because Samsung is nice looking plastic waste right?

      It is funny how people react when the shoes is on the other foot, no problem with Apple filing lawsuitsssss (that is not enough s to show how many lawsuits Apple is filing) against others and win but when Apple is caught stealing they protect a thief.



      Aren't you wondering why Apple has yet to go into "4G/LTE"? My guess is they have yet to obtain the licensing rights, and everyone who has a stake in this is looking at Apple closely. As soon as Apple releases one they will make sure they get paid or file injunction before the phone gets released.
      AAA makes t-shirts, Polo buys those shirts and puts logos on them that people demand. Polo then comes up with an idea to make the t-shirt a different way. Gives specs to AAA and AAA produces them. How is that a knock on Polo or a + to AAA? I dont' get you guy's point with the parts supplier thing. That has nothing to do with anything.

      Oddly enough, the number of people responding on behalf apple in these post is almost 10 times less. Considering that, most iPhone users aren't really "reacting" at as much at all.

      Your "guess" could be accurate, but its hardly anything to hinge any reasoning upon. The fact is that patents at this stage are extremely tricky and they are powerful points of contention in this business. People tend to say, "take that Apple for starting this war." But no one takes the time to look back and realize that this is something that's been going on far longer than apple.
    1. JorgeGZC's Avatar
      JorgeGZC -
      Take that steve jobs!!! I'm happy you are burning in hell for all eternity.
      Payback time dude
      lol