• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Is iOS 4.3 Just Weeks Away?


    With iOS 4.2 only a few days old, speculation has already turned to iOS 4.3: specifically, the possibility that we'll see upgraded firmware as soon as mid-December. MacStories is reporting that 4.3 will drop in a few weeks, with bug fixes and an API for app subscriptions to support the new "iPad newspaper" called The Daily.

    As we know, iOS 4.2 took longer than Apple had expected: when the WiFi bug in the 4.2 golden master was found, they had to go back to the lab to roll out the 4.2.1 version that was released on Monday. According to MacStories, 4.2 was supposed to be out in the early part of November, preparing the way for 4.3 on all devices that would be able to support billing for apps that you subscribe to, rather than pay for once and download.

    As Michael reported on Tuesday, Apple is planning a media event on December 9th that most observers expect will be the rollout for the Daily app. Apple and the News Corporation have been reported to be working for months in secret on the new app, which will be a video-rich news publication. The Daily has been described as "the world's first 'newspaper' designed exclusively for the iPad." Subscribers will pay 99 per week for updated news that will be downloaded in the background.

    MacStories also speculated that iOS 4.3 would include some bug fixes and other maintenance code, possibly including improved support for AirPlay with third-party apps.

    Source: MacStories
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Is iOS 4.3 Just Weeks Away? started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 64 Comments
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
      wonder if these updates popping out so close together is to keep the devs from wanting to jb and unlock due to the high frequency of changes. this isnt really like apple to have to do so many updates close together.
      True, they should have just released it all together, if they have been working on the daily app for months now then they could have just synchronized into one update
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      I look at it a little differently. Let them pump out 12 firmwares a year as far as I am concerned. Most phones are the same phone from the day you buy it to the day you buy a different phone to replace it. The iPhone is constantly updated to provide new content for the endusers.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      "Bug fixes" my a**. They intentionally leave "bugs" in their software so they can use it as an excuse to patch the jailbreaks that are released instead.

      Quote Originally Posted by Ivel View Post
      All of these things are ridiculous. Im going to stay on my 4.0.2 until iOS 5 comes out. Lol
      iOS 5 will probably be WORSE than iOS 4.0. Seems like Apple is going the wrong direction with their updates.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      I still see no real reason to update from 4.1. Too much of a headache with compatibility issues and no new useful features (not for me, anyway. I understand iOS 4.2 was cool for some, but the only Apple device I use is my iPod). 4.3 sounds like a total waste if this is all they're really doing. The Fox app does all this for free, not to mention the other ten news apps (at least).
    1. DNAlex's Avatar
      DNAlex -
      Quote Originally Posted by m/ibnzicemanm/ View Post
      ^^^ i agree. your best bet would be to just stick with your current firmware instead of upgrading to something thats practically guaranteed to be buggy.
      Quote Originally Posted by blueblaze4444 View Post
      Honestly, Im hating iOS 4.2. I just updated and it's horrible.
      I know. Me, too. I'm contemplating downgrading back to 4.0.1. What a mistake to update!
    1. hoodies's Avatar
      hoodies -
      So the dev team may not even bring out there unlock then cos it would just get patched.. So this mean I justhave a expensive iPod till the next FW update unless the decide they are gonna come out with the unlock, I'm gonna stay on 4.1 till the big release if the FW
    1. jibaro3's Avatar
      jibaro3 -
      They have to fix 4.2 first before talking about 4.3
    1. hoodies's Avatar
      hoodies -
      Quote Originally Posted by jibaro3 View Post
      They have to fix 4.2 first before talking about 4.3
      Guessing thats why they are bring out 4.3 to fix all the bugs and issues they are having wit it.
    1. Amadomon's Avatar
      Amadomon -
      Quote Originally Posted by QWood13 View Post
      I'm still on iOS 4.0 lol
      Me too. Works great.
    1. FrankyMcGee's Avatar
      FrankyMcGee -
      Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
      wonder if these updates popping out so close together is to keep the devs from wanting to jb and unlock due to the high frequency of changes. this isnt really like apple to have to do so many updates close together.
      Yeah i think that is what they may be doing. guess im sticking with 4.1 for a while.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      I look at it a little differently. Let them pump out 12 firmwares a year as far as I am concerned. Most phones are the same phone from the day you buy it to the day you buy a different phone to replace it. The iPhone is constantly updated to provide new content for the endusers.
      For about 2 years only before Apple drop support for it, 2G had it's day, 3G will be next year, 3GS in 2012 and so on...

      Apple have added about 5 major things to the iOS since it's release, App Store, Copy and Paste, Multitasking, Folders and home screen wallpaper?

      Most phones already had those features back in 2007 anyway. Things like GameCenter, iBooks, iMovie etc should not be considered a new feature as they could be downloaded from the App Store.

      iOS 4.3 will have the same boring dull grey UI with features that 90% of people won't notice like with 4.2.
    1. lol_release's Avatar
      lol_release -
      I'll stick with 4.1 jailbreak until I see something worth upgrading for.

      Seriously it's just to much work for nothing sometimes.
    1. gotjpeg's Avatar
      gotjpeg -
      I haven't tried 4.2 on the iPad but it feels buggy on my iPhone 4. I keep getting app closes or delayed notifications. To the person who said this would be the first *.3. There was a 1.3 and a 1.4 for the original iPhone.
    1. DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
      DayumQuitPlayin -
      I don't see how people can think that Apple purposely roll out updates to hinder jailbreaks and find bugs because they're lazy. Jailbreaking isn't Apple's first priority. They don't approve of it, but they're not going to waste money and man-hour just to block it. Also, some of you guys need to be more reasonable. There's going to be bugs in software. Of course Apple's going to need feedback from their customers to find bugs because there's so many people using their products doing everything on it that their staff may miss. As long as Apple responds by pushing out updates to resolve these issues I'll be satisfied.

      Anyway, I can't wait to update my iPad, I'm just holding off until Dev-Team comes out with an untethered jailbreak.
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      geez Paul i gave this to you a few days ago, and you couldn't even acknowledge me? Pfft....

      Quote Originally Posted by DayumQuitPlayin View Post
      I don't see how people can think that Apple purposely roll out updates to hinder jailbreaks and find bugs because they're lazy. Jailbreaking isn't Apple's first priority. They don't approve of it, but they're not going to waste money and man-hour just to block it. Also, some of you guys need to be more reasonable. There's going to be bugs in software. Of course Apple's going to need feedback from their customers to find bugs because there's so many people using their products doing everything on it that their staff may miss. As long as Apple responds by pushing out updates to resolve these issues I'll be satisfied.

      Anyway, I can't wait to update my iPad, I'm just holding off until Dev-Team comes out with an untethered jailbreak.
      You're in denial if you think Apple doesn't real out updates to block jailbreaking. All updates such as 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 were only added to prevent jailbreaking. And there were several prior to these. It was released right after our jailbreak tool was ready. Open your mind and wake up man. This is how Apple works and it's always been that way.
    1. Victacher's Avatar
      Victacher -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      For about 2 years only before Apple drop support for it, 2G had it's day, 3G will be next year, 3GS in 2012 and so on...

      Apple have added about 5 major things to the iOS since it's release, App Store, Copy and Paste, Multitasking, Folders and home screen wallpaper?

      Most phones already had those features back in 2007 anyway. Things like GameCenter, iBooks, iMovie etc should not be considered a new feature as they could be downloaded from the App Store.

      iOS 4.3 will have the same boring dull grey UI with features that 90% of people won't notice like with 4.2.
      At least Apple supports its phones for couple of years and just some years because the hardware cannot keep up to the software update.... I'm no Apple fan boy and I understand what your saying about that all those features were late to the phone but it is because Apple implements them perfectly I mean to copy and paste in other phones you have to press X + Shift + C + CTRL for 5 seconds and then release C and to paste P + C + Shift + 2. I mean they have all of these features but very badly implemented and of course Apple also takes its time because they are doing marketing to win more money but what company doesn't?

      Quote Originally Posted by DayumQuitPlayin View Post
      I don't see how people can think that Apple purposely roll out updates to hinder jailbreaks and find bugs because they're lazy. Jailbreaking isn't Apple's first priority. They don't approve of it, but they're not going to waste money and man-hour just to block it. Also, some of you guys need to be more reasonable. There's going to be bugs in software. Of course Apple's going to need feedback from their customers to find bugs because there's so many people using their products doing everything on it that their staff may miss. As long as Apple responds by pushing out updates to resolve these issues I'll be satisfied.

      Anyway, I can't wait to update my iPad, I'm just holding off until Dev-Team comes out with an untethered jailbreak.
      Totally agree with you everybody is has paranoia about Apple releasing software updates because of JB.

      For all others that are saying that Apple sucks because of the buggy software updates chill out I mean it is of the few times this has happened and personally most of times I never realize what has changed in minor upgrades so what's the problem to stay with 4.0 or 4.1?
      My iPhone works perfectly and I love iOS 4 haven't found anything that bothers me.
    1. PWNsyst3m's Avatar
      PWNsyst3m -
      I don't think apples on a vendetta, they're just closing exploits. I'm sure they don't mind closing them though. Lol
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Quote Originally Posted by PWNsyst3m View Post
      I don't think apples on a vendetta, they're just closing exploits. I'm sure they don't mind closing them though. Lol
      Apple are just like a crying kid that had their lollypop stolen, they always have and always will cry about jailbreaking YOUR iDevices.

      Thats all they did till jailbreaking became legal and now they are not saying anything but still fighting against it every chance they have.

      Look at my previous comment. They also remove features that are really useful just coz they are bastards.
      I'm talking about the ability to use the camera usb dongle to connect usb sticks to the iPad. In 3.2.* you could, in 4.2.1 you no longer can.
      After you jailbreaked your iPad you can use iFile to access any files on a USB stick and copy to and from it. No longer will Apple let you do this as they are still crying over jailbreaking and anything you can do with it.
    1. zoso10's Avatar
      zoso10 -
      Another update just for the news publications? Maybe if they would have been able to release 4.2 a lot sooner this might make more sense. It just seems like Apple is pumping out updates without carefully patching all the bugs.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      For about 2 years only before Apple drop support for it, 2G had it's day, 3G will be next year, 3GS in 2012 and so on...

      Apple have added about 5 major things to the iOS since it's release, App Store, Copy and Paste, Multitasking, Folders and home screen wallpaper?

      Most phones already had those features back in 2007 anyway. Things like GameCenter, iBooks, iMovie etc should not be considered a new feature as they could be downloaded from the App Store.

      iOS 4.3 will have the same boring dull grey UI with features that 90% of people won't notice like with 4.2.
      I agree. Apple is behind the times with features that other phones have had for years, but then again other companies have been making phones for years. As far as shelf life for phone models...Apple has come further than other companies in a very short time period. They shouldn't have 5 phones that they have to keep 5 different firmwares up to date. Look at Android. They are facing this exact same issue right now. I am skipping the iPhone 5 and getting the iPhone 6 if they are jailbreakable. The same goes with the iPad. I am skipping the iPad 2 and will get the iPad 3 unless by then another manufacturer has finally released a touchpad with a real OS.