• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Forces Pegatron to Cease Production of Asus Zenbook


    Apple is apparently asking one of its manufacturers, Pegatron, to cease the production of Ultrabook laptops for Asus after being displeased with the similarity in appearance of Asus’ Zenbook line. The Cupertino California company even threatened Pegatron by saying that if they don’t cease the production of the laptops that they will have to face the consequences of losing orders from Apple.

    Many of you already know that Ultrabooks are what PC manufacturers are seeking to create as a result of the success of the MacBook Air. Many PC manufacturers revealed their products at this year’s Consumer Electronic Show as an attempt to show off and woo consumers with products to come. Manufacturers such as Pegatron stand to suffer quite a bit of money if they lose contracts with a company as high profile as Apple since the manufacturer not only assembles iPhones but is also rumored to be producing the next-generation iPad.

    According to the Commercial Times:

    Apple reportedly was unhappy about Pegatron's production of Asustek's Zenbook models, which are similar to its MacBook Air, especially in its outer design, and therefore, demand Pegatron make a choice, claimed the paper, which added that Pegatron began to assemble iPhones for Apple in 2011 and is eager to solicit orders for next-generation iPads from the vendor.
    Pegatron is said to be winding down production of the Zenbook as a result of Apple’s request. This leaves Asus being forced to switch over to another manufacturer such as Compal or Winstron.

    Source: Commercial Times [via Google Translate]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Forces Pegatron to Cease Production of Asus Zenbook started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 25 Comments
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      When you're scared of competition you whine like a ***** and cry to manufacturers. Apple reminds me of the bratty girl in Willy Wonka.
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Wow, Apple really are pricks and this is more proof.
    1. mofolo's Avatar
      mofolo -
      @rkswat -
      The bottom half of that device looks identical to a 2011 MBA. It's not about competition, it's about copyright and patents; these laws are emplaced to protect people's hard work. I'm sure if you had a business you wouldn't want people ripping off your design, it's a key selling point, especially for Apple.
    1. lv_vl's Avatar
      lv_vl -
      Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
      @rkswat -
      I'm sure if you had a business you wouldn't want people ripping off your design, it's a key selling point, especially for Apple.
      Exactly! Let's sue light bulb manufacturers, AA battery manufacturers, bicycle manufacturers, etc., for making products that look and work identically.

      Can't wait to see what will happen once Apple releases TV. They'll start suing every TV manufacturer, especially Samsung, for making rectangular flat and thin TVs...

      I use MacBook Air, but I can't stand seeing all these absurd court cases. In fact, I looked at Zenbook before I decided to buy MBA. Let the competition/buyers decide, not courts, what manufacturers should and shouldn't produce.
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      But I want an Asus laptop now daddy.

      My respect for Apple seems to decline day by day. didnt start with much to begin with
    1. Bruno615's Avatar
      Bruno615 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lv_vl View Post
      Exactly! Let's sue light bulb manufacturers, AA battery manufacturers, bicycle manufacturers, etc., for making products that look and work identically.

      Can't wait to see what will happen once Apple releases TV. They'll start suing every TV manufacturer, especially Samsung, for making rectangular flat and thin TVs...

      I use MacBook Air, but I can't stand seeing all these absurd court cases. In fact, I looked at Zenbook before I decided to buy MBA. Let the competition/buyers decide, not courts, what manufacturers should and shouldn't produce.
      That laptop is a BLATANT ripoff of the Macbook Air design. The form factor has been copied identically. 3 ports on the side, the tapering edge, the USB and headphone ports are in identical locations. Of all your examples, the patents expired years and decades ago. CFL manufacturers must license patents if they want to create the same design. Bicycle manufacturers are probably the closest analogy here, and admittedly, it is difficult for them to prevent imitation, but that is also largely due to the fact that the industry is hundreds of years old.

      Bottom line... It is possible to have a thin Ultrabook without copying the Air's design, but the Zenbook is a blatant reproduction.
    1. TooSlo's Avatar
      TooSlo -
      These type of stories are why this will be the last Apple device that I own.

      When they pull crap like this and cry foul for licensing in Europe when a ban is placed against them is disgusting.
    1. willdacracka's Avatar
      willdacracka -
      The thing is, if this were even substantially a copyright claim they could use their usual channels ala Samsung to get them to stop selling the products. To go behind all copyright channels and use bully tactics with a manufacturer to stop production of a product under no legal grounds of copyright infringement is not right, under any circumstance. Apple is slowly but certainly losing my respect as a company.
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Wow, Apple really are pricks and this is more proof.
      I was thinking the same thing until I saw the picture...

      Don't wanna get sued? Try using your own imagination.
    1. k3u's Avatar
      k3u -
      Okay just because competition is making an ultra book doesn't neccessarily mean they are copying Apple. Every new ultra book I see is thin similar to the MBA. There's no other way around an ultra book other than being thin and I see so many net books. I don't see them suing against each other or causing fiasco over a similar design BUT DIFFERENT BRAND. Also if it was infringing on Apple's patent, then why did they still release it?
    1. boxxa's Avatar
      boxxa -
      Haha I wasn't really for the Samsung/Apple lawsuits over the Galaxy because they were pretty different but these ultra books look just like my MacBook Air. Lol.
    1. dennder's Avatar
      dennder -
      Im not a big fan of that sue-trolling, but ASUS made me laugh... Apple/no Apple, designer (or even maybe several), team of engineers they all worked hard to create MBA, especially with Steve biting their arses. And now, all of a sudden, these guys come out and copycat this design...
      Being the designer who created it, i'd be PIZZZZED O_o

      So here Apple has my full support.
    1. SupaMonkey's Avatar
      SupaMonkey -
      And this is what happens when a company becomes a monopoly...
    1. mcuningham's Avatar
      mcuningham -
      It's pretty hilarious that everyone here talking about copyrites and patents has no idea what the hell they're talking about.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
      @rkswat -
      The bottom half of that device looks identical to a 2011 MBA. It's not about competition, it's about copyright and patents; these laws are emplaced to protect people's hard work. I'm sure if you had a business you wouldn't want people ripping off your design, it's a key selling point, especially for Apple.
      Then attack Asus with a copyright/patent infringement lawsuit and don't go bullying your manufacturer and probably threaten to take your business elsewhere.
      Oh wait, Asus mustn't be infringing on any patents.
    1. zoltan1600's Avatar
      zoltan1600 -
      I don't see much of any similarity in design but I can see apples point to an extent. They are a business... Not a charity...or a church...

      Just chill out and realize that this is what company's do. They do what's best for income...

      K thanks
    1. Comwiz's Avatar
      Comwiz -
      1. @Mcuningham You can't even spell copyrights correctly.
      2. Apple is in the right. Apple has the ability to do what it is doing because of the huge innovations they make in the industry and the amount of money they control. That said, Apple can't fight off the onslaught of copiers. This is true for any industry. They claimed market share because they were first in the market which gave them the competitive edge. They still won't lose that much market share to these new ShitBook Airs because Apple's products are differentiated by being sleek, unibodied, fast, and being able to run OS X. That said, if it is within Apple's ability to flex their strength against competition who copy them, then they should do it.
    1. TooSlo's Avatar
      TooSlo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Comwiz View Post
      1. @Mcuningham You can't even spell copyrights correctly.
      2. Apple is in the right. Apple has the ability to do what it is doing because of the huge innovations they make in the industry and the amount of money they control. That said, Apple can't fight off the onslaught of copiers. This is true for any industry. They claimed market share because they were first in the market which gave them the competitive edge. They still won't lose that much market share to these new ShitBook Airs because Apple's products are differentiated by being sleek, unibodied, fast, and being able to run OS X. That said, if it is within Apple's ability to flex their strength against competition who copy them, then they should do it.
      Reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      This is what Apple has been lobbying for in Europe, all while attempting to still block imports of devices into certain markets. The problem with this is that Apple is seeking the most profitable solution for their company regardless of consistency across markets.

      This will have a negative impact on customers in the long run. I suppose it should also be pointed out that there have been a number of absurd patents that were awarded to Apple, or at least they are claiming certain design aspects are "theirs."

      Apple claims rectangles, round corners and flat black screens are theirs » Phone Reviews
    1. lv_vl's Avatar
      lv_vl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bruno615 View Post
      That laptop is a BLATANT ripoff of the Macbook Air design. The form factor has been copied identically. Bicycle manufacturers are probably the closest analogy here, and admittedly, it is difficult for them to prevent imitation, but that is also largely due to the fact that the industry is hundreds of years old.

      Bottom line... It is possible to have a thin Ultrabook without copying the Air's design, but the Zenbook is a blatant reproduction.
      What difference does it make? It may look the same but it is totally different piece of equipment. People who want to save few $$ and need Windows 7 will go with Zenbook, those who don't mind paying some extra for better built quaility and MacOS will buy MBA. Simple as that.

      Remember first LEDs on Audi cars? Soon others began copying them: Mercedes, Porsche; even Kia has them now. Big deal.



      ... unless they steal from you...
    1. MaStA819's Avatar
      MaStA819 -
      With electronics getting smaller and smaller how much difference can you really expect to see from two different companies? Apple is just trying to own the world once again...