• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Hulu Slashes Monthly Subscription Price to $7.99



    As video streaming and distribution services take aim at our mobile devices and tablet computers with exceptional focus on our insatiable appetite for video on the go, the people at Hulu are looking to make their Hulu Plus subscription service more affordable across an increasingly competitive landscape.

    Today, Hulu reduced the monthly subscription price of its video streaming service to $7.99 (down from $9.99 per month). Of course, if you recently signed up and paid the full $9.99, you will receive credit on your next bill. Although the price reduction is far from earth-shaking (and less than the initially rumored 50% discount), Hulu wants to give Netflix a greater challenge and the price cut is one logical way to do so.

    According to Hulu CO Jason Kilar CEO posting on the official Hulu Blog, Hulu Plus also launches today on Roku. "All PlayStation 3 owners with a PlayStation Network account, which is free, can download the Hulu Plus application." And, in the months to come, Hulu Plus will become available for Internet-connected Vizio, LG Electronics, and Panasonic Blu-ray players and HDTVs; TiVo Premiere DVRs; the Xbox 360; and Western Digitalís WD TV Live Hub Media Center and WD TV Live Plus Network Media Player. The blog also points out that "many more mobile phones, tablets, set-top boxes, and Internet-connected devices" will soon be Hulu-ready.

    Hulu presently has 30 million users and saw $240 million in revenue during the past year. But as PC World noted today, a recent survey indicated that only 4% of Hulu viewers subscribe to its Plus service. If you were on the fence before about a Hulu subscription, will $7.99 now seal the deal for you?

    Hulu Blog
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hulu Slashes Monthly Subscription Price to $7.99 started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 53 Comments
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      Wow save $2.00, early Christmas
    1. davidmdowning42's Avatar
      davidmdowning42 -
      Do they really have all the shows from every network? Even basic cable? I used the regular free Internet version for a while, and it sure didn't seem like it had all that to me. I guess I'll have another look...
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Hulu+ is actually quite a bargain. 4-5 commercials through an hour show, versus the 5-7 every 10 min or less on live TV. AMC is the worst for this! 1 hour, 20 min movie takes 3 hours to play AND it's cut down too.

      You get most episodes within 8 days (from all major, and most cable networks) versus the several month wait for DVD release AFTER the season ends on Netflix, and it takes them time to release it on "play it now."

      Netflix and Hulu+ each has it's advantages. I say, get both. $17.98/month is a heck of a lot cheaper than cable or satellite TV service, plus you won't pay extra to rent new releases.

      Oh, and if you're having buffer issues on Hulu, try using HuluDesktop. It's free to download (though, you do have to really look for it now) and runs the videos much better.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Whatever happened with with the back catalogue for Modern Family? That bummed me out when They went back to only showing the previous five episodes.

      Definitely stoked about the $12 they credited back to my account!
    1. safeenkurdish's Avatar
      safeenkurdish -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      LOL at above. You are so right... unless you're using an antenna for your TV service you're paying AT LEAST $50/mo for cable or satellite and watching a TON more commercials than Hulu Plus at $8.

      As soon as my Dish Network contract expires I'm canceling it. $40 a month for broadband and $8 a month for Hulu+ is better than the $85 a month I'm paying for Dish PLUS the $48 for cable and Hulu right now.
      I actually don't watch anything directly from TV, I watch movies from Netflex and other free websites. Of course I watch TV shows from Hulu, fancast, and other free website. I would never pay for cable tv or dish Network. High speed internet can do everything.
    1. n00neimp0rtant's Avatar
      n00neimp0rtant -
      Were you guys aware that with Hulu Plus, you can't watch all the already free stuff on Hulu?

      That's right. Only certain shows are available on Hulu Plus. Go to Hulu.com, search a show, then tick the Hulu Plus box. If everything disappears, you won't be watching that show on your iPhone.

      Ridiculous, right? And this isn't just old shows or anything; you can't watch The Simpsons, Community, Fringe, Chuck, It's Always Sunny, and a boatload of other popular shows on Hulu Plus. I know you're staring at this screen right now with your jaw dropped, but it's 100% true. I signed up for the free trial today and went to watch an episode of Community on my phone. Not found. Fringe--not found. Then I looked on the website: shows and clips you CAN watch on Hulu Plus have a little green "h+" rectangle next to them. If it doesn't have that, you can't watch it on any of your Hulu Plus-only devices.

      Needless to say, I will be canceling my trial before they start charging me. Even the name is misleading. "Hulu Plus" should be Hulu...PLUS More, not LESS content! If you have a spare PC lying around at home, I would recommend hooking it up to the Internet purchasing PlayOn. It acts as your own personal Skyfire server for Hulu, YouTube, and a bunch of other sites.




      EDIT: Here, look at this list. Every show on there the doesn't have the green rectangle will NOT be available on your iPhone, iPad, PS3, or whatever device you have with Hulu Minus.
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
      Were you guys aware that with Hulu Plus, you can't watch all the already free stuff on Hulu?

      That's right. Only certain shows are available on Hulu Plus. Go to Hulu.com, search a show, then tick the Hulu Plus box. If everything disappears, you won't be watching that show on your iPhone.

      Ridiculous, right? And this isn't just old shows or anything; you can't watch The Simpsons, Community, Fringe, Chuck, It's Always Sunny, and a boatload of other popular shows on Hulu Plus. I know you're staring at this screen right now with your jaw dropped, but it's 100% true. I signed up for the free trial today and went to watch an episode of Community on my phone. Not found. Fringe--not found. Then I looked on the website: shows and clips you CAN watch on Hulu Plus have a little green "h+" rectangle next to them. If it doesn't have that, you can't watch it on any of your Hulu Plus-only devices.

      Needless to say, I will be canceling my trial before they start charging me. Even the name is misleading. "Hulu Plus" should be Hulu...PLUS More, not LESS content! If you have a spare PC lying around at home, I would recommend hooking it up to the Internet purchasing PlayOn. It acts as your own personal Skyfire server for Hulu, YouTube, and a bunch of other sites.




      EDIT: Here, look at this list. Every show on there the doesn't have the green rectangle will NOT be available on your iPhone, iPad, PS3, or whatever device you have with Hulu Minus.
      I've had the Hulu+ app since release...

      Used it three times so far. It's easier to just tether my laptop and watch on a decent screen without killing my phone battery. They are adding content to Hulu+, give them time.

      Remember when you used to get those messages from YouTube about incompatible videos? Same kinda thing.
    1. mi1knc0okies's Avatar
      mi1knc0okies -
      Hulu Plus is a joke. Charge you and give you commercials and less content.. That is ridiculous! Though it is cheaper than having cable tv. I enjoy watching live sports and random shows on Fuel. So I will just stick to paying for cable and have a dvr so i can fast forward though all the commercials and not worry about any buffering.
    1. n00neimp0rtant's Avatar
      n00neimp0rtant -
      I honestly don't even mind the ads that much. Sitting through 1 or 2 commercials sure beats torrenting whole seasons of shows that take up storage. Not to mention, it's legal, works on multiple devices, is on-demand, and updates itself with new content. $8 really isn't that much...as long as it includes all the free stuff too. It's not cool to reel me in with on-demand Community, then secretly not have it available once they start getting money out of me.

      Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoenix View Post
      It needs to be 1.99 with no ads.
      If you're honestly this cheap, you shouldn't have an iPhone. Pack a lunch once a month and it won't make a difference to your pocketbook.

      People and paying for intangibles, I'll tell ya...
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      The "PLUS" refers to HD quality and the fact that you're not limited to the last 5 episodes of currently broadcast shows. Don't blame Hulu b/c the networks don't want to give them license rights to distribute the content.. blame the networks.

      I tried to watch the free hulu through PlayOn and the quality was nearly unwatchable on my 60" HDTV. The "PLUS" is the only way to get decent resolution. Yeah it looks ok on your 24" monitor lol... blow that up to 50-60" and you'll gag. $8 is nothing... and the shows that are not available yet will be eventually... this is the FIRST day of the public release people... give it time.
    1. ripped53's Avatar
      ripped53 -
      Now if Apple TV would get on board and start allowing iOS APPs, it would be a no brainer. Other than that I think I'll be getting a Roku.

      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      The "PLUS" refers to HD quality and the fact that you're not limited to the last 5 episodes of currently broadcast shows. Don't blame Hulu b/c the networks don't want to give them license rights to distribute the content.. blame the networks.

      I tried to watch the free hulu through PlayOn and the quality was nearly unwatchable on my 60" HDTV. The "PLUS" is the only way to get decent resolution. Yeah it looks ok on your 24" monitor lol... blow that up to 50-60" and you'll gag. $8 is nothing... and the shows that are not available yet will be eventually... this is the FIRST day of the public release people... give it time.
      Poseidon..you're able to watch Hulu+ on your big screen using your iphone? I've tried connecting my iphone, iPT, and iPad to my bigscreen using Hulu, and i only get sound out, no video (using official apple cables). My iphone also has TVout (Cydia App) and the video was so choppy it was unbearable.

      Am I missing something?
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Mostly the commercials are only on current season items. All previous seasons don't have commercials. Yes, Hulu plus gives you all seasons of many shows. Plus the commercials are between 15-30 seconds. I use it on my PS3 and iPad.

      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      Whatever happened with with the back catalogue for Modern Family? That bummed me out when They went back to only showing the previous five episodes.

      Definitely stoked about the $12 they credited back to my account!
      They give and take. Some shows have the full catalog but then after a while they take it back but then bring in new shows and their full catalog. They added Psych and Monk to Hulu+ last month and I went back and watched all the episodes because it is a funny show.
    1. DisneyRicky's Avatar
      DisneyRicky -
      Yeah...NO! Should be free!
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
      Now if Apple TV would get on board and start allowing iOS APPs, it would be a no brainer. Other than that I think I'll be getting a Roku.



      Poseidon..you're able to watch Hulu+ on your big screen using your iphone? I've tried connecting my iphone, iPT, and iPad to my bigscreen using Hulu, and i only get sound out, no video (using official apple cables). My iphone also has TVout (Cydia App) and the video was so choppy it was unbearable.

      Am I missing something?
      I use the PS3 Hulu App. To stream the free low def content I used the PlayOn Windows Media Server which like I said was pretty much unwatchable.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      i use both netflix and hulu on my ps3 and like them both hulu is for tv and netflix is for movies i dont care about the commercials there not as bad as on actual tv, and you pay more for tv then the price of hulu so stop whining and take what they are willing to give to be competitive
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      I enjoy Hulu+ through my Sony Blu-Ray player! Seriously, $8 a month is nothing, and they're only going to make things better as they go along. Might as well try the free two week trial to see how you like it.
    1. coolguy742's Avatar
      coolguy742 -
      Who needs cable, satellite, or hulu when you have netflix! lol
      but seriously what are the perks of using hulu instead of netflix?
    1. athleticswimmer's Avatar
      athleticswimmer -
      Netflix FTW!!!
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
      Who needs cable, satellite, or hulu when you have netflix! lol
      but seriously what are the perks of using hulu instead of netflix?
      Netflix has new release DVD content, but not all of it is on the streaming service right away. The downside to this is, you have to wait until the season is released on DVD... IF it gets a DVD release, not all shows got that.

      Hulu+ gives you all the same content as free Hulu, but allows viewing from other devices than your computer. It also gives you a back-catalog of previous seasons of TONS of shows, a lot of which never made DVD.

      Honestly, as I said before... If you want it all, get both Hulu+ and Netflix for $17.98/month. You can replace your TV service this way and save $40+/month. The only thing you'll miss is live programing like sports (go to a bar, or friend's house, it's more fun that way anyhow), presidential speeches (which often stream live online, or at least are available later on YouTube), and awards shows (does anyone really watch these?)
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      Netflix has new release DVD content, but not all of it is on the streaming service right away. The downside to this is, you have to wait until the season is released on DVD... IF it gets a DVD release, not all shows got that.

      Hulu+ gives you all the same content as free Hulu, but allows viewing from other devices than your computer. It also gives you a back-catalog of previous seasons of TONS of shows, a lot of which never made DVD.

      Honestly, as I said before... If you want it all, get both Hulu+ and Netflix for $17.98/month. You can replace your TV service this way and save $40+/month. The only thing you'll miss is live programing like sports (go to a bar, or friend's house, it's more fun that way anyhow), presidential speeches (which often stream live online, or at least are available later on YouTube), and awards shows (does anyone really watch these?)
      Yeah, once the sports programs finally join the streaming wagon I'll be able to get rid of my cable once and for all. Unfortunately I watch way too much basketball and college football to afford going to the bars for each game and my friends rightfully don't want me at their places every single night during basketball season lol.

      On a side note, does anyone have the League Pass for the NBA app? I'm very curious as to how it looks when using the tv-out function.