• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • RIM Says PlayBook Beats iPad for Browsing
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72rGDUn2uo[/ame]


    RIM is working on trying to build some early pre-release buzz for its PlayBook tablet, which won't be out until the spring. However, that's not stopping the Blackberry manufacturer from throwing down: they produced a new video that they say shows the PlayBook beating the iPad at Web browsing. Of course, there's no way of knowing if the video is rigged, and it's worth noting that it's not entirely fair to compare a 2011 PlayBook to a 2010 iPad. However, it shows that RIM is taking the tablet fight - which Apple has a big head-start on - seriously.

    RIMís PlayBook is not supposed to be available until March of 2011, almost a year after the iPad started shipping. Nevertheless, the company is clearly eager to position their tablet as the much-anticipated "iPad killer". They have already strongly intimated that the PlayBook will be priced lower than the base $499 iPad. The next phase of their campaign appears to be based on the supposed performance gains of the PlayBook. In this video, "Matthew" from RIM's web browser group pits a PlayBook against an iPad running iOS 3.2.2, loading various pages over WiFi. In addition to the Acid3 standards-based rendering test and a Javascript performance test, the engineer loads the UEFA soccer league's website, and CBS.com, which was clearly chosen because it is Flash-based and makes the iPad look bad. The PlayBook's OS is based on Adobeís Flash and Air technologies, so it's understandable that they'd want to emphasize that.

    It's difficult to do a head-to-head comparison between the two devices. The PlayBookís display is physically smaller, at seven inches, than the iPad's 9.6-inch screen, as well as being lower resolution (1024 by 600 pixels versus 1024 by 768 for the iPad). However, the PlayBook has a 1 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 processor, as opposed to the iPad's single-core A4 chip. Most observers expect a new model iPad by the time the PlayBook is ready to ship, which should at least have 512MB of RAM like the iPhone 4's, if not a dual-core chip.

    In short, it's a nice piece of marketing, but unlikely to sway anyone who's already planning to buy an iPad. It'll also be cold comfort to any PlayBook owners if a faster iPad 2 comes out in the spring.

    Source: Engadget
    This article was originally published in forum thread: RIM Says PlayBook Beats iPad for Browsing started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. allanes5's Avatar
      allanes5 -
      7" is too small for web browsing games etc.

      I dont think I could get used to a 7" display after using the ipad's nearly 10".
    1. JacquesChirac's Avatar
      JacquesChirac -
      By the time this is out, there'll be a newer, faster model of the iPad that'll make this irrelevant, and perhaps even embarass RIM if apple does the same thing back.
    1. bingbang's Avatar
      bingbang -
      Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
      By the time this is out, there'll be a newer, faster model of the iPad that'll make this irrelevant, and perhaps even embarass RIM if apple does the same thing back.
      Or maybe Jobs will release some more Beatles concerts.

      Where the hell is the 4.2 release?

      the Playbook seems to be more portable computer than a cellphone with a giant screen minus the calling capability.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bingbang View Post
      the Playbook seems to be more portable computer than a cellphone with a giant screen minus the calling capability.
      Well maybe the iPhone is just a portable computer with a phone app.

      But to be serious; the more competion the better. I love my iPad but am always intrigued by things like the Playbook. It is all about the OS to me than the hardware. The iOS is all around workable; same with Android. I just would like to see more on the QNX OS that the Playbook uses.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by psilocybin View Post
      Well you can find yourself an android site than
      still waiting for my C64s to ship
      which will SO kick all your iDroidBerry foolishness.



      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      Well maybe the iPhone is just a portable computer with a phone app.

      But to be serious; the more competion the better. I love my iPad but am always intrigued by things like the Playbook. It is all about the OS to me than the hardware. The iOS is all around workable; same with Android. I just would like to see more on the QNX OS that the Playbook uses.
      I would like to see the QNX AppStore before I jump to conclusions.
      (the one that will soon be populated with all the Droid/iPhone developers fleeing their respective dying platforms)
    1. IPHONE USER's Avatar
      IPHONE USER -
      my ipad is great as it is,but i do like the idear of all the others coming into the market because it will push things forward with the next ipad that i will be one of the first to pre order..
    1. Hpwill's Avatar
      Hpwill -
      Quote Originally Posted by psilocybin View Post
      Well you can find yourself an android site than
      Lol I will but that when I get it until then I stay here
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      congratulations your tablet is faster on at browsing then the ipad.. WOW!! who the eff cares.
    1. bignighttrain's Avatar
      bignighttrain -
      Yea it won't compare to apple and the iPad size dose matter and just a thought the playbook loads faster on a smaller screen now do the test with the iPhone 4 on wifi my iPhone 4 beats my iPad on 3G & wifi.
    1. aqualeris's Avatar
      aqualeris -
      Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
      congratulations your tablet is faster on at browsing then the ipad.. WOW!! who the eff cares.
      Fanboy alert.
    1. cozymonk's Avatar
      cozymonk -
      Watching the flash chug was painful and all u could think about was how much battery was being drained because the processor was having to work so hard.
    1. Hpwill's Avatar
      Hpwill -
      An iPad is just a iPod touch with a bigger screen
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hpwill View Post
      An iPad is just a iPod touch with a bigger screen
      A SUV is just a bigger version of a station wagon but people still perfer the SUV.
    1. awesome.rising's Avatar
      awesome.rising -
      I like it how, in the ad, the guy manually types in ".com" instead of the ".com" button.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by awesome.rising View Post
      I like it how, in the ad, the guy manually types in ".com" instead of the ".com" button.
      I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that lol.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hpwill View Post
      An iPad is just a iPod touch with a bigger screen
      Yes, it is a bigger iPod touch, your point?

      I still don't understand why people try to use this as some sort of slam against the iPad. An iPod touch is of no benefit to me because it offers nothing that my iPhone can't already do (or at least do better than my iPhone). Give me a 10" screen and that same iPod touch instantly becomes a much better tool for media, emails, and web browsing.
    1. ARCHA1C's Avatar
      ARCHA1C -
      Good for RIM.
      The iPad holds its own pretty well for being an "old" device.

      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
      YouTube - BlackBerry PlayBook and iPad Comparison: Web Fidelity


      RIM is working on trying to build some early pre-release buzz for its PlayBook tablet, which won't be out until the spring. However, that's not stopping the Blackberry manufacturer from throwing down: they produced a new video that they say shows the PlayBook beating the iPad at Web browsing. Of course, there's no way of knowing if the video is rigged, and it's worth noting that it's not entirely fair to compare a 2011 PlayBook to a 2010 iPad. However, it shows that RIM is taking the tablet fight - which Apple has a big head-start on - seriously.

      RIMís PlayBook is not supposed to be available until March of 2011, almost a year after the iPad started shipping. Nevertheless, the company is clearly eager to position their tablet as the much-anticipated "iPad killer". They have already strongly intimated that the PlayBook will be priced lower than the base $499 iPad. The next phase of their campaign appears to be based on the supposed performance gains of the PlayBook. In this video, "Matthew" from RIM's web browser group pits a PlayBook against an iPad running iOS 3.2.2, loading various pages over WiFi. In addition to the Acid3 standards-based rendering test and a Javascript performance test, the engineer loads the UEFA soccer league's website, and CBS.com, which was clearly chosen because it is Flash-based and makes the iPad look bad. The PlayBook's OS is based on Adobeís Flash and Air technologies, so it's understandable that they'd want to emphasize that.

      It's difficult to do a head-to-head comparison between the two devices. The PlayBookís display is physically smaller, at seven inches, than the iPad's 9.6-inch screen, as well as being lower resolution (1024 by 600 pixels versus 1024 by 768 for the iPad). However, the PlayBook has a 1 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 processor, as opposed to the iPad's single-core A4 chip. Most observers expect a new model iPad by the time the PlayBook is ready to ship, which should at least have 512MB of RAM like the iPhone 4's, if not a dual-core chip.

      In short, it's a nice piece of marketing, but unlikely to sway anyone who's already planning to buy an iPad. It'll also be cold comfort to any PlayBook owners if a faster iPad 2 comes out in the spring.

      Source: Engadget
    1. Jarrin's Avatar
      Jarrin -
      Watching the flash on the Blackberry thing... Was quite miserable, it looked like it was dying. I'd love to see something better than an iPad come out just to like.. provide more options. IMO though.. it's just better. The apps, the amount of apps, and even if it could browse better, where's the enormous high powered app store? Frash looks like it runs flash better on the iPad than the flash on that thing.