• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Petitions Regarding 'Worker Abuse' to Pelt Apple Stores Tomorrow


    Tomorrow could be a rough day outside of a number of Apple retail stores.

    We learned Wednesday that an activist group plans to target various Apple stores around the world and circulate what's being called "worker abuse" petitions. The central hub of the effort, however, will take place outside of Apple's new and gargantuan Grand Central Terminal store.

    The purpose of the petition circulation, which sounds more like an actual demonstration to some of us, is meant to draw further attention to allegations of human abuses at production facilities that, while not owned by Apple, are still used to manufacture Apple products.

    Mark Shields of Washington D.C. is the man behind the movement, which aims to deliver 250,000 signatures of protest to the websites Change.org and SumOfUs.org. Shields says he's just an average Apple customer who was shocked and saddened to learn about the working conditions at facilities like those owned and operated by Foxconn in China.

    "I have been a lifelong Apple customer and was shocked to learn of the abusive working conditions in many of Apple’s supplier factories," Shields revealed upon announcing the petition effort this week. "At Foxconn, one of Apple’s biggest manufacturers, there is a history of suicides, abusive working conditions, and almost no pay. These working conditions are appalling, especially for Apple."

    In short, the petitions call for an ethical construction of the iPhone 5.

    In recent weeks, Apple CEO Tim Cook rejected many of the claims made about Foxconn and said human abuses will not be tolerated by his company. He went on call many of the accusations against Apple's manufacturing partners "patently false and offensive."

    No word yet as to why the petition is solely targeting Apple Thursday, and not other tech giants like Microsoft, which also use Foxconn facilities to produce products.

    Source: CBS
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Petitions Regarding 'Worker Abuse' to Pelt Apple Stores Tomorrow started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 22 Comments
    1. ibivibiv's Avatar
      ibivibiv -
      Will they also be outside Best Buy, Wal Mart, Costco, Sams Club, Home Depot, Sears, Frys, .....................................
    1. boxxa's Avatar
      boxxa -
      Here is an idea, if you don't like Apple's production methods, then don't buy their product!
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
      Here is an idea, if you don't like Apple's production methods, then don't buy their product!

      Like the article says, the guy who started petition said he was not aware of the condition of these workers when he purchased Apple products. So they are protesting to bring awareness to people who buys Apple.

      Don't think they will do it at Best Buys, only at Apple Stores.

      BTW have they find out who Apple bribed to get the Central Station store lease so cheap? Was that ever resolved or was it swept under the carpet?
    1. Don Ju4n's Avatar
      Don Ju4n -
      I may not bee TOO informed in the tech world, but I'm pretty damn sure that Foxxcon doesn't only manufacture Apple products. But then again, I'm just a guy with a MacBook Pro, a jail broken iPhone and little knowledge of C++
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Like the article says, the guy who started petition said he was not aware of the condition of these workers when he purchased Apple products. So they are protesting to bring awareness to people who buys Apple.

      Don't think they will do it at Best Buys, only at Apple Stores.

      BTW have they find out who Apple bribed to get the Central Station store lease so cheap? Was that ever resolved or was it swept under the carpet?
      He sounds like a fairly intelligent person, and you would have to be a moron to not know that working conditions like the ones at FoxConn exist in this world. Perhaps this is a attempt to put his conscience at ease.

      "I use Apple products, i will continue to use Apple products, I know how this device was manufactured. To make myself feel better, I will make a public, hopeless attempt to change this". That's what I think this guy is thinking in his mind. Did he say he will immediately stop using his Apple products?? Or throw them away? Doubt it.
    1. Maxime Caudebec's Avatar
      Maxime Caudebec -
      They planning on going to a Best Buy the day after and protesting Dell, HP, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and everyone else?

      And then Wal-mart to protest companies whose toys are made in China?

      And then clothing stores after that to protest clothing brands sewn in China?

      And then the offices of nearly every other company in the country?

      No?

      THEN SHUT UP, HYPOCRITES.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      If a protestor gets in my way when I go to buy an iPhone 5, they're going to suddenly discover what a crushed windpipe feels like.
    1. Maxime Caudebec's Avatar
      Maxime Caudebec -
      They planning on going to a Best Buy the day after and protesting Dell, HP, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and everyone else?

      And then Wal-mart to protest companies whose toys are made in China?

      And then clothing stores after that to protest clothing brands sewn in China?

      And then the offices of nearly every other company in the country?

      No?

      I think the petitions should have included other major companies that have the same issue, but of course it all falls on apple
    1. letmusicring's Avatar
      letmusicring -
      Quote Originally Posted by ibivibiv View Post
      Will they also be outside Best Buy, Wal Mart, Costco, Sams Club, Home Depot, Sears, Frys, .....................................
      This man/woman has a point.
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      He sounds like a fairly intelligent person, and you would have to be a moron to not know that working conditions like the ones at FoxConn exist in this world. Perhaps this is a attempt to put his conscience at ease.

      "I use Apple products, i will continue to use Apple products, I know how this device was manufactured. To make myself feel better, I will make a public, hopeless attempt to change this". That's what I think this guy is thinking in his mind. Did he say he will immediately stop using his Apple products?? Or throw them away? Doubt it.
      Why in the world would someone throw something away just because of the way it was manufactured? Stop buying them sure, but don't throw all your money in the drain, it doesn't accomplish anything.
    1. Aumz's Avatar
      Aumz -
      Also first to complain if the price goes up due to production moving to he USA
    1. zrevai's Avatar
      zrevai -
      No because "protesting/petitioning" Apple gets them way better news coverage. Even though Apple is the only Tech company member of the FLA and is working to change things at its manufacturing partners facilities, Foxconn being one of Cook's main mentions about expanding programs to deal with worker suicide. But you'll never here these morons protesting Microsoft or Dell because that won't draw any news coverage.
    1. Cheesey123's Avatar
      Cheesey123 -
      Won't be this problem in a couple of years time when it's all done by manufacturing robots,oh wait they will moan that robots are taking there jobs!!!! Moral of this is "they will always moan about something.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      He sounds like a fairly intelligent person, and you would have to be a moron to not know that working conditions like the ones at FoxConn exist in this world. Perhaps this is a attempt to put his conscience at ease.

      "I use Apple products, i will continue to use Apple products, I know how this device was manufactured. To make myself feel better, I will make a public, hopeless attempt to change this". That's what I think this guy is thinking in his mind. Did he say he will immediately stop using his Apple products?? Or throw them away? Doubt it.

      You can be intelligent and not be informed.
      People would assume a big company like Apple would choose their suppliers more carefully.

      How do you know he wouldn't burn it in effigy during the protest?
      Throwing something away without any reason = stupid.
      destroying it to pass on the message = smart.

      Also for those who complains that they are not protesting against other companies...
      Apple is in the cross hairs and lots of media attention is on Apple, by doing this they can get message across better than protesting a company that is not on the headlines. You work for organization that fights for labor rights, you select your fights like they are doing.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
      Won't be this problem in a couple of years time when it's all done by manufacturing robots,oh wait they will moan that robots are taking there jobs!!!! Moral of this is "they will always moan about something.
      "They took er JEEEUUBBSS!!!"
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      If a protestor gets in my way when I go to buy an iPhone 5, they're going to suddenly discover what a crushed windpipe feels like.
      Relax they can not get in your way to buy your stuff, they can inform you of what they are against but they can not stop you. Getting in your way violates your right, that means they broke the law.
      All they can do is call you a "killer" on your way in, but you can also yell "get a job".
    1. keenpois0n's Avatar
      keenpois0n -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post

      BTW have they find out who Apple bribed to get the Central Station store lease so cheap? Was that ever resolved or was it swept under the carpet?
      so you think apple paid someone, so they can pay less..they just got a good deal. that's it
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Relax they can not get in your way to buy your stuff, they can inform you of what they are against but they can not stop you. Getting in your way violates your right, that means they broke the law.
      All they can do is call you a "killer" on your way in, but you can also yell "get a job".
      Where I live, you're generally free to break the law but may also have to suffer the consequences for doing so.
      If some crazed anti-protestor were to crush my windpipe outside of an Apple Store while I exercise my right to wander aimlessly nearby, I suspect they would be occupying a prison cell shortly.

      And I might be dead, but that's still no excuse!
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Like the article says, the guy who started petition said he was not aware of the condition of these workers when he purchased Apple products. So they are protesting to bring awareness to people who buys Apple.

      Don't think they will do it at Best Buys, only at Apple Stores.

      BTW have they find out who Apple bribed to get the Central Station store lease so cheap? Was that ever resolved or was it swept under the carpet?
      They're still "investigating" but if you live here in NYC you know all too well how incompetent the MTA is. somebody got a little something under the table.
    1. Maxime Caudebec's Avatar
      Maxime Caudebec -
      I find this outrageous, what is Foxconn's CEO doing? Apples supplier is Foxconn, it's Foxconn's job to take care of THEIR employees not apple. And Foxconn is a major supplier of many other companies yet not a word about it. So meanwhile apple is the one getting the negative image when they worked so hard to pull themselves to the top