• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Best Tweaks of the Week 1/30 - 2/5


    Here are the best jailbreak creations for the week of January 30th until today, February 5th as per the opinion of our staff. This sure has been a bumpy week with some pretty sweet releases. Let's recap; shall we?

    1. RingerX VIP - $1.99

    RingerX VIP is a jailbreak tweak made by fabled iOS developer Yllier that lets you have limitless customizations for whom and when your iPhone rings, vibrates, or remains silent. The settings are all found in the Contacts application after you install it and there is also the option to override the stock iOS settings so that RingerX VIP allows you to control everyone's ability to contact you depending on your mood. It includes a timer that can override the mute switch (pictured above) that lets you mute the iPhone for a duration of time. You can set settings per individual contact or via groups of contacts. You can also set a different tone for each contacts group. We think that this is a must-have for any iPhone owner.



    2. WeeKillBackground Pro for Notification Center - 99

    WeeKillBackground Pro is a Notification Center widget by iOS developer Jonas Gessner that has numerous options for closing all applications in the App Switcher. You can use it manually to kill applications by tapping on the customizable widget, or you can set timers that close all applications automatically after a duration of time. It includes the ability to exclude certain applications from getting closed as well. There have been many attempts to make multitasking more efficient and keep our memory as clear as possible, but as we find, WeeKillBackground Pro comes with the most bang for your buck at just a buck. Additionally, WeeKillBackground Pro was recently updated with a complete Settings makeover. If you liked it before, then try out the new version!



    3. MyAssistant - 99

    MyAssistant is a jailbreak tweak by iOS developers Akhil Tolani and Andrea Olivia that lets you have more control over Siri. Maybe that isn't saying enough; this is like the Springtomize of Siri. It lets you customize what you want to say to Siri to activate system toggles, input your own questions to get custom responses to, use Siri as a voice method for invoking Activator actions, launch applications, enter commands, or even change the Siri user interface to make it look more personalized. It has had its fair share of bugs upon release, but the developers are working their behinds off to make it as perfect as possible. The idea behind MyAssistant makes it a great step up from other Siri tweaks, and the dollar price tag makes it even better.



    4. Booksstand - 99

    Booksstand is a new jailbreak tweak by iOS developer Nikos Lykousas that lets you move your iBooks files over to Newsstand so that you can actually give that new iOS 5 application a use after all! It has a very simple-to-use interface that you might expect Apple to have designed themselves. It puts a shortcut to the actual book from iBooks into Newsstand so that you can launch the book from Newsstand instead of iBooks while feeling like you are using Newsstand the way it was supposed to be used. Never again will you have to feel like you have a useless application on your SpringBoard that you have to hide to get out of your sight. It's speedy and such a great idea.



    5. Zeppelin - FREE

    Zeppelin is a jailbreak tweak released by iOS developer Alex Zielenski in order to help you have more customization with the iOS status bar. It comes pre-loaded with a ton of icons that you can make appear in your status bar in place of your carrier name or device name. The picture above basically shows you what it does, however there are more image packages being added to Cydia that are Zeppelin-compatible which you can also use. We think it's pretty cool how the icons dynamically change to the same colors that you would expect from the signal bars when you go from the home screen to an application like Settings where it goes from white to blue. There is an icon for everyone in this tweak.



    6. MusicBanners - FREE

    MusicBanners is a jailbreak tweak developed by iOS developer and hacker Ryan Petrich that lets you have a notification banner appear just like any other notification when a new song begins playing on your iDevice. As you can see from the image included above, MusicBanners shows you the album artwork, the song name and the artist, and an icon to let you know that it's from the Music application. MusicBanners works with the stock Music application, Spotify, Grooveshark, and other music services.


    Stay tuned for next week's best tweaks - only on Modmyi!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Best Tweaks of the Week 1/30 - 2/5 started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 44 Comments
    1. Yllier's Avatar
      Yllier -
      Don't you like being able to read about a tweak before downloading it? if it's any good and what its features are? You should be glad that someone is doing that, because there is is some crap in Cydia.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Yllier View Post
      Don't you like being able to read about a tweak before downloading it? if it's any good and what its features are? You should be glad that someone is doing that, because there is is some crap in Cydia.
      I absolutely do, but of is a "Best of" list, then a bit more thought needs to be put into the article than this.
    1. jme5674's Avatar
      jme5674 -
      RingerX VIP is a cool tweak, but it causes my iPhone 4S to crash & enter safe mode. It's weird, but it would crash when I was browsing the internet with safari & a text message would come through. A couple times the phone would just lock up out of nowhere. I used mobile substrate to disable all my installed tweaks one by one. Everything returned to normal after RingerX VIP was disabled. Has anyone else experienced this or anything like this with this tweak?
    1. anime007's Avatar
      anime007 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
      Zeppelin 0.0.5 is broken. You'll need to downgrade. You can send a pm to the dev and he can give you the 0.0.4 deb file
      no 0.0.5 is perfect nothing's wrong with it, you need to uninstall other conflicting carrier name changers before installing zeppelin
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Spire screws Zeppelin up and vice versa.
    1. bradmullins007's Avatar
      bradmullins007 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Freedom7 View Post
      Haven't used MusicBanner yet, but Zeppelin is pretty sweet!
      Zeppelin is the best tweak we've saw in years. What other program allows you to customize your carrier logo no matter what carrier you're using. Besides that its FREE!!!!
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
      Zeppelin is the best tweak we've saw in years. What other program allows you to customize your carrier logo no matter what carrier you're using. Besides that its FREE!!!!
      It's really not that great. It's just an image swap.
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It's really not that great. It's just an image swap.
      True. But I feel it's a lot better tweak than bookstand, which somehow managed to place higher than zeppelin...
    1. bradmullins007's Avatar
      bradmullins007 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It's really not that great. It's just an image swap.
      To a simple mind maybe you're right. Which in turn would also explain why the Siri assistant is so profound to you. You blew it again Anthony.

      Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
      Zeppelin 0.0.5 is broken. You'll need to downgrade. You can send a pm to the dev and he can give you the 0.0.4 deb file
      Not broken on my iPhone 4. Works Perfectly.

      Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
      Spire screws Zeppelin up and vice versa.
      Spire screws all kinds of things up. Safari, AppStore, etc.

      What Anthony might not be aware of is the fact that zeppelin allows you to place any carrier logo you want on your device. So if that's the case now he'll know
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Am I missing something? What is do great about weekillbackgroundpro? Sure it closes all your apps with one tap. Why should it be a paid tweak? It doesn't have a great ui or anything.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
      What Anthony might not be aware of is the fact that zeppelin allows you to place any carrier logo you want on your device. So if that's the case now he'll know
      And what themes have not been able to do this in the past? I fail to see the breakthrough functionality of Zeppelin which is the simple epitome of an image swap that links the iPhone's sources into an image stored in the filesystem.

      Also, Spire doesn't 'screw' anything up. You probably installed Spire and had a tweak conflict which as I repeat myself this second or third time in this thread, "Spire uses absurd amounts of memory." The tweak conflicts are what cause the app crashing. If you uninstall the conflicting tweaks, Spire will not cause any problems. You can install Spire on a stock-jailbroken device and I will guarantee you no problems. But, as chpwn has absolutely NO motivation to update Spire, we probably will not see any compatibility in the near future for those tweaks that fail with Spire.

      Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
      True. But I feel it's a lot better tweak than bookstand, which somehow managed to place higher than zeppelin...
      You have a different opinion than me (obviously) but I feel that Booksstand is a good tweak because it makes use of something in iOS that we don't normally use if we aren't interested in paying fees for subscriptions. Zeppelin is nothing more than an attempt to theme the status bar. I have never been a fan of themes whatsoever.
    1. virtualcappy's Avatar
      virtualcappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Yllier View Post
      Don't you like being able to read about a tweak before downloading it? if it's any good and what its features are? You should be glad that someone is doing that, because there is is some crap in Cydia.
      Unfortunately 'crap' is number three on this list so this is no help. The idea of reviewing cydia apps is great and very needed, but more thorough vetting of fewer apps would be preferable. I too have had serious issues with MyAssistant, which I bought largely due to a review read here. The tweak is extremely unstable and I'm skeptical that the reviewer spent any appreciable time with it - to suggest it is even worth the download let alone a 'best' tweak is ridiculous.
    1. Tucnepo's Avatar
      Tucnepo -
      Listening to you guys arguing made me scared to even try them
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by virtualcappy View Post
      Unfortunately 'crap' is number three on this list so this is no help. The idea of reviewing cydia apps is great and very needed, but more thorough vetting of fewer apps would be preferable. I too have had serious issues with MyAssistant, which I bought largely due to a review read here. The tweak is extremely unstable and I'm skeptical that the reviewer spent any appreciable time with it - to suggest it is even worth the download let alone a 'best' tweak is ridiculous.
      Perhaps you should look at the new update which to the best of the developers' abilities fixes everything people have been complaining about.

      The fact that you continue to knock off a tweak even post-fixed tells me that you have no plans to open arms to a developer's attempt to fix a problem that you might be having. If that's the case, what do you jailbreak for?

      Fact is, I know the developer behind MyAssistant very well and I know he will be working hard with his users to fix all problems. If I didn't know that the tweak bugs were in good hands then I wouldn't recommend it. You should put a little more faith into my ratings because I can guarantee fixes. If I can't, then I will rate them low.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Perhaps you should look at the new update which to the best of the developers' abilities fixes everything people have been complaining about.

      The fact that you continue to knock off a tweak even post-fixed tells me that you have no plans to open arms to a developer's attempt to fix a problem that you might be having. If that's the case, what do you jailbreak for?

      Fact is, I know the developer behind MyAssistant very well and I know he will be working hard with his users to fix all problems. If I didn't know that the tweak bugs were in good hands then I wouldn't recommend it. You should put a little more faith into my ratings because I can guarantee fixes. If I can't, then I will rate them low.
      Then state these things in your reviews. In the tweaks state at the time of your OP, it was entirely buggy and incomplete yet you mentioned none of that. Recommend what is publicly available, not what is forthcoming.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      Then state these things in your reviews. In the tweaks state at the time of your OP, it was entirely buggy and incomplete yet you mentioned none of that. Recommend what is publicly available, not what is forthcoming.
      I stated all of the bugs that happened to me in my review. The only thing that happened to me was an issue with capitalization that was not clearly enough displayed in the settings. Other people's problems were not of my own so why would they end up in my review if I had not experienced them? If I can't confirm it, then it might as well not be a bug to me. It took days to find all of these bugs.

      Let's be thankful that the developers are spending time fixing them and stop making it appear like it was the worst tweak ever invented. The customer support in the jailbreak community is one of the best of its kind.
    1. jivhg's Avatar
      jivhg -
      @Anthony – I made Zeppelin not to be an image swap–but to allow carrier logos to those whose phones did not previously allow them. Like mine (Verizon was a simple text string so I could not put an image there). That is the core functionality, Zeppelin swaps no images. It overrides or inserts them at runtime. Maybe you should change your grading scheme to not be about how much it actually replaces but about usefulness and general appeal. Hopefully now you have a less slanted and insulting view
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jme5674 View Post
      RingerX VIP is a cool tweak, but it causes my iPhone 4S to crash & enter safe mode. It's weird, but it would crash when I was browsing the internet with safari & a text message would come through. A couple times the phone would just lock up out of nowhere. I used mobile substrate to disable all my installed tweaks one by one. Everything returned to normal after RingerX VIP was disabled. Has anyone else experienced this or anything like this with this tweak?
      Do you have message+ or bitesms installed?
    1. jrlederer's Avatar
      jrlederer -
      I'm pretty surprised to see none of you seem to recognize one of my main focuses for jail breaking to begin with...iKeyWi. In short it simply enables 5th row to the keyboard, essentially making it a QWERTY implementation. Unfortunately, like most apps, it is not without its downfalls. One of them is that it does not work in landscape mode. The other problem is that, for now, there is no iPad support.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by jivhg View Post
      @Anthony – I made Zeppelin not to be an image swap–but to allow carrier logos to those whose phones did not previously allow them. Like mine (Verizon was a simple text string so I could not put an image there). That is the core functionality, Zeppelin swaps no images. It overrides or inserts them at runtime. Maybe you should change your grading scheme to not be about how much it actually replaces but about usefulness and general appeal. Hopefully now you have a less slanted and insulting view
      If I rated it upon usefulness I could have rated it a lot lower. What I took into consideration was the work you put into it. It's not useful to me; I am not a themer nor could I care less what shows up in my status bar. Functionality is my weak spot, not appearance. I am glad there are people out there that enjoy your tweak.

      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      Do you have message+ or bitesms installed?
      That should no longer matter because Yllier's latest update for RingerX VIP fixes compatibility with those two messaging platforms. Have to admit, it's a really awesome tweak.