• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Samsung Releases "Urban Camping" Ad as part of its Anti-Apple Campaign


    Samsung seems to have released another commercial for their Samsung Galaxy S II’s anti-Apple campaign. This one is labeled "Urban Camping" and continues the trend of pointing out features which Apple’s iPhone 4S does not have. In this specific ad, the main feature being flaunted is the 4G speed that the Galaxy S II has that the iPhone 4S does not. Samsung continues to stereotype Apple users as being the “barista” types who are excited about waiting on line to pick up the iPhone 4S and willing to go as far as camping out on large lines.

    You can take a look at their new advertisement below:



    At this point, the advertisements seem a bit repetitive and predictable as the company doesn’t seem to have much to argue against that isn’t known already. What was funny at first now seems dull and expected as well especially since the campaign has been going on for some time. The only subtle change here (which was also found in the previous commercial) was the fact that Samsung seems to be portraying their users as hipsters as well. The irony here is quite hilarious as the company continues to imitate Apple users while flaunting the features of their device.

    For those of you who haven’t seen the previous advertisements that were a part of Samsung’ anti-Apple campaign, you can do so by clicking the following links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

    What did you guys think of the new advertisement? Do any of you feel that this campaign is getting pretty old? Share any thoughts and comments below!

    Source: SamsungMobileUSA

    *Thanks to Nicholas Sneller and iPodTouchMan77 for sending this in*
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung Releases "Urban Camping" Ad as part of its Anti-Apple Campaign started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 67 Comments
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by UiK View Post
      I think it's more of an insult to Apple customers than the company itself.
      I'd have to agree with this, so samsungs strategy is to insult potential customers. Hoping they will switch?
    1. Kakalman's Avatar
      Kakalman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      I use my phone as part of my life not go out of my way to use my phone.
      SO WELL PUT.
      I have a 4 not a 4S yet. I do still have AT&T because I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data AND frequently use the data while talking on the phone (a feature I understand not to be available through Verizon.)
      Things I use my phone for: texts, emails, camera, checking account monitoring, checking prices on amazon, and checking modmyi because I like the layout of the app better than the layout of the full-blown web page.
      Overall the coverage in my area is pretty good. 3G speeds are beyond adequate for me. Not saying I won't eventually enjoy 4g, but I'm not dying for it.
      Unlimited data is a must for me because the wifi in my house sucks (lousy ISP)... And the fact that I don't have a landline means I need to have the option of still using my data while making a call all on one device.
      I think Samsung makes a nice tablet. I think their phone looks cheesy and childish. For whatever reason it just seems more geared towards a much younger crowd when I look at the physical design of the device.
      Android is a little bit too wonky for me to want in a phone, though it does seem like it would make a lot of sense in a tablet, and I probably would choose Samsung for an android tablet (but that's neither here nor there).
      Regardless, I thought the ads were so/so at first, but it seems like it'd be more effective advertising if they had just made one or two and then had a different theme (not droid fans showing off to people in line) for another set of commercials, and volleyed the two themes. But hey what do I know?

      Side note: the fact that apple has FANS who are willing to wait for a day on a sidewalk is something that company should be proud as hell about. Samsung wishes so many people wanted to do that for their devices, but pretty much nobody does so instead they make fun of it. Cute! I've never waited on the sidewalk for any product because I like to give any new electronic 3-6 months for somebody to work out the kinks. But apple's packaging is a thing of beauty, and I buy products for my family (and talk them into buying more products of their own) from apple just so I can re-experience the thrill of opening their beautifully presented packages. There's my not-so-deep-dark secret.

      As for the apple/pc commercials... Yes it was obviously a similar concept, but they managed to make PC a lovably obsolete goofball, a characterization which carries with it a certain amount of respect. In these commercials, Samsung just tries to make it look like anybody who buys an iPhone didn't know there were other options.... which is obviously not the case.
    1. TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
      TheDirtyDiddler -
      Samsung is bashing the same customers that they are counting on to enjoy/purchase their phones.
    1. Kakalman's Avatar
      Kakalman -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
      Samsung is bashing the same customers that they are counting on to enjoy/purchase their phones.
      Exactly.
    1. dennder's Avatar
      dennder -
      And how about just stopping posting "news" about this?
      I was already sick of the first ad, now it's vomiting all the way around. Bashing apple? Only apple haters would say so. It's bashing customers, who, if i'm not mistaken by the definition of the "ad" should be attracted to the "device" which is being advertised.
      Yeah... instead of making me want to buy galaxy phone it made me not willing to buy ANY samsung device. And oh boy, i do not have an iPhone, i have HTC...
    1. CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
      CCNPJediHacker -
      Quote Originally Posted by darkcrave View Post
      My mom wanted the iphone 4s or the 4 so i told her I have the 4 and ill trade with her for the samsung skyrocket, done deal got 4g service unlimited data plan since i been with att for 14 years and have the unlimited plan since cingular palm touch phones and i am extremely happy with my skyrocket =)


      P.S 1.75 GHZ custom rom, with sooooo many customizations its just a dream
      I had the sgsII for 4 months, was absolute garbage, best thing I ever did was getting a 4s, the iPhone at the moment is a step above android. iOS 4 < android 2.3, iOS 5 > android 4.0.
    1. ventodivino's Avatar
      ventodivino -
      What seemingly remains to be said is what android fans that fit samsungs applefanboy stereotype must think.
    1. CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
      CCNPJediHacker -
      Quote Originally Posted by ventodivino View Post
      What seemingly remains to be said is what android fans that fit samsungs applefanboy stereotype must think.
      Well I left apple after the 3G because android was just miles better then, but iOS 5 is now streets ahead. I'm no way a fan boy I just wanna buy the best product out there, and the iPhone Ian's iPad are the best ATM
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Maybe I shoudnt have tipped this....lol
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Huh?

      In one part, you say the commercials are dull. In another, you say they are hilarious.

      Your being a fanboy in the review of the commercial as well.
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      Huh?

      In one part, you say the commercials are dull. In another, you say they are hilarious.

      Your being a fanboy in the review of the commercial as well.
      He's essentially saying that the commercials are getting old now, but some of the irony in it is hilarious. Sorry, but did you actually read the article?
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      I don't understand these ads. What company wouldn't be stoked about having its users camp out waiting for their newest product. All this shows is Apple's fans are more dedicated than the rest. If someone is willing to camp out in line for the iPhone then how is this ad insulted them going to change their minds? Bearing that in mind who then is Samsung targeting with these ads if not the Apple fans willing to camp out?

      Also, why are there so many Android users posting on a site dedicated to iDevice news? Are these people trolling just for the sake of doing so or do they own at least an iPod, iPad, etc. ?
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by dangit View Post
      Are you referring to me? I did not post any link up. And neither did anyone else, if you're referring to the blog itself, then I'm sorry I misunderstood. Luckily, the youtube video works perfectly fine in the stock browser on my Samsung Infuse.
      No one else posted a URL besides the blog itself, so yeah, they never make it iPhone friendly dangit
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Luie82 View Post
      It's so sad that they keep airing these ads when Apple is just destroying them in sales. Maybe they should go after someone in their own league say HTC or ummm. Blackberry.

      Oh and Samsung if your phones are so good then why are you releasing a Galaxy S III just a couple of months after the Galaxy S II’ release
      Apple is not "destroying" Samsung in the smartphone business. Samsung was the number 1 smartphone seller in 2011 and made more revenue from smartphones than Apple in 2011. Yes they have more models than Apples three, but not by much.

      Just a tad bit of quick research before you post goes a long way.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by Luie82 View Post
      It's so sad that they keep airing these ads when Apple is just destroying them in sales. Maybe they should go after someone in their own league say HTC or ummm. Blackberry.

      Oh and Samsung if your phones are so good then why are you releasing a Galaxy S III just a couple of months after the Galaxy S II’ release
      you're an obvious retard. apple is NOT destroying Samsung in sales, apple has only just now slightly passed Samsung for a quarterly margin, NOT overall.

      secondly,

      Samsung is not releasing a Galaxy S II a couple of months after the Galaxy S II., a couple is 2 and the Galaxy S II was introduced in Feb 2011--a year ago !! and released in May.

      what's more striking is that the iPhone 4S was released in what, in October and apple's most diehard fans are already talking about the iPhone 5 !!!

      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      I hate how y'all can't ever seam to post a video link that works on iPhones cause I never go to this site on my laptop only iPhone app

      It sends you to this:
      http://youtube;4tmEegvUpGA
      An says page doesn't exist dangit

      It's
      YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
      Which would be coded as
      [URL="http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?bmb=1&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4tmEegvUpGA&gl=US&v=4tmEegvUpGA"[/URL]
      On iPhones



      Exactly wow that sucked

      Why doesn't what I just said above the quote show up on my iPhone after I hit save but it does on a laptop?

      If the videos wont play on your iPhone try playing it on your Android phone instead.
    1. bigiphoneinreno's Avatar
      bigiphoneinreno -
      All I have to say is let the specs do the talking and compare 2011 iphone 4S to Galaxy S 2. Here let me help you out with that....

      http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id[]=3541&id[]=3136&id[]=&id[]=&id[]=
    1. Digitalfeind's Avatar
      Digitalfeind -
      Quote Originally Posted by dangit View Post
      Lol a couple of months? The data clearly shows that they are yearly releases, just like the iPhone.

      G1 - June 2010
      G2 - May 2011
      G3 - NOT OUT YET

      2G - June 2007
      3G - July 2008
      3GS - June 2009
      4 - June 2010
      4S - October 2011
      Clearly you forgot about the S II Skyrocket. I think that is the phone he is talking about.
    1. centori's Avatar
      centori -
      Don't to queue up to buy Samsung phone because no one wanted it
    1. hispasat's Avatar
      hispasat -
      Quote Originally Posted by dangit View Post
      Are you referring to me? Luckily, the youtube video works perfectly fine in the stock browser on my Samsung Infuse.
      luckily,SIRI doesn't give a f*ck
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Use some common sense, people. Those willing to camp put for days for an iPhone probably aren't even going to considered the SGSII. As such, Samsung is not considering them potential customers. They are saying, to the rest of the world, "look at these douches standing in line. Here, have (what we consider) a better phone, without having to stand in line for days to get it". It is literally that simple. They aren't alienating a whole lot of their potential clients because they know they probably don't have that in a die-hard Apple fan anyway...