• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 5.1 Patches Corona Untethered Jailbreak: Update to iOS 5.0.1 While You Still Can!

    Want an untethered jailbreak? Don't Update to iOS 5.1.

    The recent untethered jailbreak for A4 devices and the upcoming untethered jailbreak for A5 devices will only be for iOS 5.0.1. It has been confirmed that iOS 5.1 beta 3 closes the exploit for the Corona untethered jailbreak - yes that includes the redsn0w 0.9.10 jailbreak because it uses the same exploits found by iOS hacker pod2g as Corona does. iOS 5.1 is currently in beta, and will be released to the public very soon.

    If you want your untethered jailbreak for iOS 5, then we recommend that you stay with iOS 5.0.1, or you update to iOS 5.0.1 if you have not already as soon as you possibly can. Since iOS 5.1 closes the exploits used in iOS 5.0.1 with the Corona untether, more exploits will need to be found to jailbreak iOS 5.1 untethered. A4 devices will likely have a tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 at least, because of the fact that A4 devices have a bootrom exploit. A5 devices on the other hand, won't be so lucky. A5 devices also currently have no way to downgrade firmware, so again I emphasize, if you want an untethered jailbreak then get on iOS 5.0.1 while you have the chance!

    If you are an A4 device user and you have your APticket and SHSH blob custom firmware for iOS 5.0.1, then you can update to iOS 5.1 to try it out when it comes out with the security that you can always downgrade again. iOS 5.1 will bring few new features to iOS such as the ability to delete individual photos from your Photo Stream, and the ability to toggle 3G on the iPhone 4S. It is also said to have indefinitely solved the battery crisis on the iPhone 4S. If you feel that these features are worth losing an untethered jailbreak over, then go ahead and make the leap of faith.

    If you are using an A4 device and you want to secure your position in iOS 5.0.1, then you can follow our guide on making a custom iOS 5.0.1 firmware with iFaith. It was written for iOS 5.0 but it will be the same process for making an iOS 5.0.1 firmware. You can also use TinyUmbrella and redsn0w to make custom firmware if you're not a Windows user. Good luck!

    Sources: Redmond Pie
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 5.1 Patches Corona Untethered Jailbreak: Update to iOS 5.0.1 While You Still Can! started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 117 Comments
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      I guess I'll be using the noOTA Badge tweak soon.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
      Can I just have the 5.0.1 restore IPSW and be okay to update later?
      I'm at home with no wifi within thirteen miles and my car is being repaired.
      If 5.1 cones out, that will be useless
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Im waiting because i want to keep the 5.0 Baseband in hopes of an unlock that @MuscleNerd mentioned for the 4S and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll port corona to 5.0. Or at least wait for the devs to mention anything more about it. And before i hear a bunch of people say "if you want an unlocked iPhone then you should just buy one!" ,i dont need the unlocked one because im on AT&T but would like mine to be unlockable in the future for increased resale value. I dont want to spend a million dollars on one.
      Good luck with that... it's looking like iOS 5.1 will be out before any iOS 5.0.1 baseband solution.
    1. dra_uk's Avatar
      dra_uk -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Man you scared me when i first read the title. Im at work and my 4S is at home still on 5.0. I think you need to be a little more clearer in your article that 5.1 has not been released yet and is still in beta.
      Conversely, you could use the power of reading rather than trying to drag the rest of us down to your level.
    1. A3gOwner's Avatar
      A3gOwner -
      On a 4s yes get on 5.0.1 and wait. As for ipad2 gsm users on 4.3.3 jb that cant live without the jb just wait. They will not Go live with an update like everyone makes it seem without a GM release first. It's still in beta.
    1. babyydaveyy's Avatar
      babyydaveyy -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Im waiting because i want to keep the 5.0 Baseband in hopes of an unlock that @MuscleNerd mentioned for the 4S and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll port corona to 5.0. Or at least wait for the devs to mention anything more about it. And before i hear a bunch of people say "if you want an unlocked iPhone then you should just buy one!" ,i dont need the unlocked one because im on AT&T but would like mine to be unlockable in the future for increased resale value. I dont want to spend a million dollars on one.
      An unlocked iPhone doesn't cost a million dollars. And if you sell it with a software unlock, whenever the buyer updates they'll lose they're unlock...
    1. Senyaichiya's Avatar
      Senyaichiya -
      Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
      If 5.1 cones out, that will be useless
      How will it useless?
      I can't just update at home?
    1. A3gOwner's Avatar
      A3gOwner -
      Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
      How will it useless?
      I can't just update at home?
      Not without the Internet. iTunes needs to sign a few things for the restore to go through.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      And hope the jailbreak works on the 9A405 and not just 9A406, or you will be doubly screwed for waiting.
      You'd think if there were a working 4S JB in progress, the devs would have publicized this?
      After all, it's soon going to be too late if you're on the wrong firmware :-(
    1. Senyaichiya's Avatar
      Senyaichiya -
      Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
      Not without the Internet. iTunes needs to sign a few things for the restore to go through.
      Is there anyway I can just download 5.0.1 online and just update?
      (downloads are fine I just use my iPhones Download application.)
    1. Maxnic's Avatar
      Maxnic -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      You have 4S which has no jailbreak yet and you are still waiting to update? Use the OTA update and shutup already. And hope the jailbreak works on the 9A405 and not just 9A406, or you will be doubly screwed for waiting.
      Am I missing something here? Are you referring to just the 4S? On the iPad 2, I'm on 5.0.1....my build(version) number is 9A405. IF they release the JB it'll be fine as long as we're at 5.0.1 right? This 9A406 doesn't apply to to the iPad 2's correct?
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
      iPhone 4s users will have to decide wether the battery fix or the jailbreak. Tough decision IMO.
      I think that is apples b-s way of getting you to update and break the jailbreak. They said that before and people updated and still got sucky battery life.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maxnic View Post
      Am I missing something here? Are you referring to just the 4S? On the iPad 2, I'm on 5.0.1....my build(version) number is 9A405. IF they release the JB it'll be fine as long as we're at 5.0.1 right? This 9A406 doesn't apply to to the iPad 2's correct?
      Yes youll be fine. That build was only released for the 4s
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dra_uk View Post
      Conversely, you could use the power of reading rather than trying to drag the rest of us down to your level.
      How am i bringing you down to my level? So i over-read it, so what, we all make mistakes and i admitted it. If anything im bringing you up to my level Mr. 8 total posts! Did you just join ModMyi today? And your already flaming people.
    1. rion_j's Avatar
      rion_j -
      Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
      Yes youll be fine. That build was only released for the 4s
      And not all 4s saw this update. I believe it was GSM devices only cuz my Verizon 4s is on 405.
    1. CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
      CCNPJediHacker -
      Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
      im on 5.0.1. with 3 accounts "pushed" to the phone and my battery lasts all day.. no issues here.
      Same here, agree totally, no 4s battery problems at all, even on 5.0
    1. staticmotions's Avatar
      staticmotions -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      Wonder about what? If you have an iPad 2 jailbroken on 4.3.3 and do not update to 5.0.1 before 5.1 comes out you are screwed and stuck at 4.3.3 jailbreak for ever
      That is simply not true. You can download the firmware for 5.0.1 today, and install it next week if you want. There are dozens of sites where you can download old firmwares, for every type of iPhone and iPad. I have an iPad 2 jailbroken on 4.3, and I'm not upgrading to 5.0.1 until they release a jailbreak for it. I already have the firmware for 5.0.1 saved on my computer, so I'm not worried about being stuck if I don't upgrade right now.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by staticmotions View Post
      That is simply not true. You can download the firmware for 5.0.1 today, and install it next week if you want. There are dozens of sites where you can download old firmwares, for every type of iPhone and iPad. I have an iPad 2 jailbroken on 4.3, and I'm not upgrading to 5.0.1 until they release a jailbreak for it. I already have the firmware for 5.0.1 saved on my computer, so I'm not worried about being stuck if I don't upgrade right now.
      For iPad 2 if Apple releases 5.1 and stops signing 5.0.1 then you will not be able to restore to 5.0.1. No matter how many fimrware you have downloaded. This is also the case for iPhone 4S. For all the other devices you can save your SHSH and apticket to restore to 5.0.1 with iFaith or tiny umbrella.
    1. nillam1's Avatar
      nillam1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maxnic View Post
      Am I missing something here? Are you referring to just the 4S? On the iPad 2, I'm on 5.0.1....my build(version) number is 9A405. IF they release the JB it'll be fine as long as we're at 5.0.1 right? This 9A406 doesn't apply to to the iPad 2's correct?
      I have 2 iphone 4S' & one was updated to iOS 5.0.1 & got (9A405) via software update in settings on my iPhone. The other I was restoring & updated to iOS 5.0.1 & got (9A406) on my Pc with iTunes. Can somebody please clarify the whole (9A405) & (9A406) if it matters or not, as long as your on iOS 5.0.1?
    1. Maxnic's Avatar
      Maxnic -
      Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
      I have 2 iphone 4S' & one was updated to iOS 5.0.1 & got (9A405) via software update in settings on my iPhone. The other I was restoring & updated to iOS 5.0.1 & got (9A406) on my Pc with iTunes. Can somebody please clarify the whole (9A405) & (9A406) if it matters or not, as long as your on iOS 5.0.1?
      If it matters, I updated by PC, having done a full wipe and upgrade to 5.0.1....I can't even find a build for the iPad 2 with 9a406 listed so I'm pretty sure I'm good...just wondering since people are making a distinction about being on 9a406....