• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 5.1 Patches Corona Untethered Jailbreak: Update to iOS 5.0.1 While You Still Can!

    Want an untethered jailbreak? Don't Update to iOS 5.1.

    The recent untethered jailbreak for A4 devices and the upcoming untethered jailbreak for A5 devices will only be for iOS 5.0.1. It has been confirmed that iOS 5.1 beta 3 closes the exploit for the Corona untethered jailbreak - yes that includes the redsn0w 0.9.10 jailbreak because it uses the same exploits found by iOS hacker pod2g as Corona does. iOS 5.1 is currently in beta, and will be released to the public very soon.

    If you want your untethered jailbreak for iOS 5, then we recommend that you stay with iOS 5.0.1, or you update to iOS 5.0.1 if you have not already as soon as you possibly can. Since iOS 5.1 closes the exploits used in iOS 5.0.1 with the Corona untether, more exploits will need to be found to jailbreak iOS 5.1 untethered. A4 devices will likely have a tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 at least, because of the fact that A4 devices have a bootrom exploit. A5 devices on the other hand, won't be so lucky. A5 devices also currently have no way to downgrade firmware, so again I emphasize, if you want an untethered jailbreak then get on iOS 5.0.1 while you have the chance!

    If you are an A4 device user and you have your APticket and SHSH blob custom firmware for iOS 5.0.1, then you can update to iOS 5.1 to try it out when it comes out with the security that you can always downgrade again. iOS 5.1 will bring few new features to iOS such as the ability to delete individual photos from your Photo Stream, and the ability to toggle 3G on the iPhone 4S. It is also said to have indefinitely solved the battery crisis on the iPhone 4S. If you feel that these features are worth losing an untethered jailbreak over, then go ahead and make the leap of faith.

    If you are using an A4 device and you want to secure your position in iOS 5.0.1, then you can follow our guide on making a custom iOS 5.0.1 firmware with iFaith. It was written for iOS 5.0 but it will be the same process for making an iOS 5.0.1 firmware. You can also use TinyUmbrella and redsn0w to make custom firmware if you're not a Windows user. Good luck!

    Sources: Redmond Pie
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 5.1 Patches Corona Untethered Jailbreak: Update to iOS 5.0.1 While You Still Can! started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 117 Comments
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      How about the fact that you shouldn't be in a position to be scared because your 4S should have already been updated to 5.0.1 in the first place like you were told to do last week by every single blogger in the community. I hope they release 5.1 tonight and you miss out on the jailbreak.
      I still wouldnt miss out and id be able to update cause you always have a small window of a few hours before apple stops signing the previous firmware.

      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      Nope, once 5.1 is out you can NOT update to anything but 5.1
      Yes you can and you dont need pwned dfu or anything special because you always have a few hours before apple stops signing it.
    1. loopweb's Avatar
      loopweb -
      Apple scared away the customers themselves :/
    1. jbardi's Avatar
      jbardi -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      I still wouldnt miss out and id be able to update cause you always have a small window of a few hours before apple stops signing the previous firmware.
      You have 4S which has no jailbreak yet and you are still waiting to update? Use the OTA update and shutup already. And hope the jailbreak works on the 9A405 and not just 9A406, or you will be doubly screwed for waiting.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post
      Wont you still be able to update from 5.0 to 5.0.1 via DFU, eventhough 5.1 is released?
      Not on a 4S once Apple stops signing 5.0.1, no.

      In hindsight, it may have been better to have kept that racoon exploit back until a release was ready for all devices. (Worst case scenario, A4 users could always have hopped back to 5.0.1.) Pod2g has been a little over-optimistic about the A5 JB progress. Planetbeing is only saying we have a theoretical proof of concept for getting out of the sandbox. What if the root access and r/w remount issues cause another roadblock? There's a good possibility that Apple won't be signing 5.0.1 once/if the 4S JB gets released. Awkward and unnecessary for them to patch racoon so quickly - limera1n is the security hole, not racoon. Can't help thinking Apple is also losing out here. They're just driving people that want to customize to Android. I thought Steve Jobs wanted to destroy Android? Right now, Apple seems to be making a pretty compelling case for switching.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      How about the fact that you shouldn't be in a position to be scared because your 4S should have already been updated to 5.0.1 in the first place like you were told to do last week by every single blogger in the community. I hope they release 5.1 tonight and you miss out on the jailbreak.
      Yes he should upgrade.
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
      I hope someone will incorporate the 3G toggle on 5.0.1 through jailbreak. Having 3G enable all the time is definitely one of the main culprit of battery lost.
      You can turn off 3G in SBSettings. You can toggle Wifi, 3G, or Edge (data). It's already there.
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      Wonder about what? If you have an iPad 2 jailbroken on 4.3.3 and do not update to 5.0.1 before 5.1 comes out you are screwed and stuck at 4.3.3 jailbreak for ever until they figure out a jailbreak for 5.1

      I have 3 iPad 2's previously jailbroken on 4.3.3 and updated all of them to 5.0.1 in preparation for the jailbreak. I am back to stock on all 3 but worth not missing out on the 5.0.1 jailbreak when 5.1 drops.
      Well if you are on an iPad 2 and have SHSH's for 4.3.3 then id say update to 5.0.1 right now and stay there. Because yes you can downgrade the iPad 2 with SHSH's. And if your on an iPad 2 GSM then you just use TinyCFW to create a custom 4.3.3 with the latest BaseBand and your Downgrade will be successful. The only iPad 2 you cannot downgrade is the Verizon iPad 2.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
      You can turn off 3G in SBSettings. You can toggle Wifi, 3G, or Edge (data). It's already there.
      I'm obviously talking about the 4S not the 4. Your smoking too much of that La La to figure that out.
    1. jbardi's Avatar
      jbardi -
      Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
      Yes he should upgrade.
      Maybe you should read mod edit: removed do not insult other members, 5.0 doesn't matter. If he isn't on 5.0.1 when 5.1 drops he is screwed. Get a clue!
    1. jamesgunaca's Avatar
      jamesgunaca -
      If when I open Cydia on my iPad 2 (iOS 4.3.3) and it says it has SHSH for 5.0.1 does that mean I'm safe? Or should I run TinyUmbrella with my iPad plugged in just to make sure (I may have already done this...just need to know what I need to do).

      What I don't want to do is update to 5.0.1, lose my jailbreak, and then have to wait and use an iOS 5.0.1 iPad 2 with none of my awesome jailbreak tweaks.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      Maybe you should read mod edit: removed do not insult other members, 5.0 doesn't matter. If he isn't on 5.0.1 when 5.1 drops he is screwed. Get a clue!
      Thus, he should upgrade to 5.0.1 while he can. No need for profanity, keep it civilized man.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      I have 3 iPad 2's previously jailbroken on 4.3.3 and updated all of them to 5.0.1 in preparation for the jailbreak. I am back to stock on all 3 but worth not missing out on the 5.0.1 jailbreak when 5.1 drops.
      That's going to hurt if the 4S/A5 JB never happens! How long are you willing to sit waiting on a stock iOS?
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by itaintrite View Post
      Will I be able to use the SHSH to upgrade my iPad2 to 5.0.1 when the JB comes out?
      If the jailbreak cones out before the update you can update regularly.
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      Not on a 4S once Apple stops signing 5.0.1, no.

      In hindsight, it may have been better to have kept that racoon exploit back until a release was ready for all devices. (Worst case scenario, A4 users could always have hopped back to 5.0.1.) Pod2g has been a little over-optimistic about the A5 JB progress. Planetbeing is only saying we have a theoretical proof of concept for getting out of the sandbox. What if the root access and r/w remount issues cause another roadblock? There's a good possibility that Apple won't be signing 5.0.1 once/if the 4S JB gets released. Awkward and unnecessary for them to patch racoon so quickly - limera1n is the security hole, not racoon. Can't help thinking Apple is also losing out here. They're just driving people that want to customize to Android. I thought Steve Jobs wanted to destroy Android? Right now, Apple seems to be making a pretty compelling case for switching.
      I basically said this same thing in a different thread. Apple will lose so many customers IF they close all possibility of jailbreaking. I'll be going to Android very soon if a jb for A5 devices is nonexistent. I love the iOS hacked but honestly I think that the stock iOS is very ugly. Android also gives more options (3D, etc..) besides the option to customize. IMO there's no phone better than a jailbroke iPhone but if there's no way to jb after i4 then once my i4 is completely outdated I'll go to Android. Apple will only be hurting themselves. Most of the people I know who bought the 4S only bought it because they thought they'd have a jb for it. I hope this isn't the end of jailbreaking guys. 😔
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      You have 4S which has no jailbreak yet and you are still waiting to update? Use the OTA update and shutup already. And hope the jailbreak works on the 9A405 and not just 9A406, or you will be doubly screwed for waiting.
      Im waiting because i want to keep the 5.0 Baseband in hopes of an unlock that @MuscleNerd mentioned for the 4S and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll port corona to 5.0. Or at least wait for the devs to mention anything more about it. And before i hear a bunch of people say "if you want an unlocked iPhone then you should just buy one!" ,i dont need the unlocked one because im on AT&T but would like mine to be unlockable in the future for increased resale value. I dont want to spend a million dollars on one.
    1. jbardi's Avatar
      jbardi -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Well if you are on an iPad 2 and have SHSH's for 4.3.3 then id say update to 5.0.1 right now and stay there. Because yes you can downgrade the iPad 2 with SHSH's. And if your on an iPad 2 GSM then you just use TinyCFW to create a custom 4.3.3 with the latest BaseBand and your Downgrade will be successful. The only iPad 2 you cannot downgrade is the Verizon iPad 2.
      True, but if you downgrade back to 4.3.3 from 5.0.1 after 5.1 drops, you will not be able to re-upgrade back to 5.0.1. The fact is simple. Every iDevice (i4, i4S, iPad, iPad 2, iPod Touch) should be sitting at 5.0.1 waiting for the jailbreak, PERIOD!

      Anyone that misses out, don't whine about it.
    1. A3gOwner's Avatar
      A3gOwner -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
      My iPad is still jailbroken on 4.3.3, so I guess it's time to make the leap...

      Will update tonight
      Not yet. It's going to be awhile apple still has to release the GM before thinking about taking it public. They've never went beta to public before, I know there's a first for everything but it's not a bright move. Especially with the issues with ios5 and the 4s they're going to make sure it's "mostly" bug free. The beta 3 doesn't expire til march 18. My battery stayed the same with this beta just like the last few, but I didn't have battery issues to start with. It's really not much different than 5.0.1 no features I can't live without. The new Siri commands are pointless just like Siri itself. A quick google search yields results almost as fast and uses less data. I'm going to keep it for a couple more days and then downgrade my 4s back to 5.0.1.
    1. Senyaichiya's Avatar
      Senyaichiya -
      Can I just have the 5.0.1 restore IPSW and be okay to update later?
      I'm at home with no wifi within thirteen miles and my car is being repaired.
    1. s0ulp1xel's Avatar
      s0ulp1xel -
      Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
      We knew this day was coming, it was a matter of time. But it sure came fast.
      Really Fast
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Im waiting because i want to keep the 5.0 Baseband in hopes of an unlock that @MuscleNerd mentioned for the 4S and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll port corona to 5.0. Or at least wait for the devs to mention anything more about it. And before i hear a bunch of people say "if you want an unlocked iPhone then you should just buy one!" ,i dont need the unlocked one because im on AT&T but would like mine to be unlockable in the future for increased resale value. I dont want to spend a million dollars on one.
      The extra $100 you make isn't worth losing the chance to jailbreak and end up waiting much longer for another jailbreak or even worst no jailbreak at all. I weighed out the pros and cons and I updated so should you.