• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Now the Third Top PC Seller

    Apple to Toshiba: Pwned.

    When we tell you that Apple is booming - we aren't joking. Apple has seen more Mac sales in the past year than ever before. The Mac is a computer that is often regarded as a computer with '5% market share'; this, my friends, is a myth. Another very large misconception is that it's Apple against Windows - the real figures should be Apple against Dell, Apple against HP, Apple against Toshiba, and the list goes on. The Mac can run Windows too; did you forget?

    The numbers show that Apple now has 11.6% of the world PC market share (the percentage is higher in the U.S. alone). This number has just surpassed Toshiba which has a market share of 10.7%. Dell holds its title at 22.4% market share and HP holds the golden crown at 23.1%. Apple's sales have increased 20%, while all of the other companies are having a little bit of a decrease. The rate at which Apple has grown in 2011 is astounding and we have iOS to thank for it. The appeal of iOS continues to bring attention to the Mac as it becomes more and more integrated. People want things that just work together and Apple's operating systems is one great way to start.

    While the number of computers that Apple has sold isn't so astoundingly high that HP and Dell have to worry at this point, it's an excellent improvement over the outdated '5% market share' myth. With Apple shipping over two million Macs in the fourth quarter of 2011, you almost see an Apple computer in any school that you peer into. It's becoming a popular scholar's computer and a popular multitasking workstation. This reflects on the school discounts that Apple offers which are generally pretty good deals.

    What else could be contributing to the sales? Macs are the first computers to support Intel's Thunderbolt technology which can be handy for many commercial businesses. This is great for multiple displays or RAID (redundant array of inexpensive disks) disk solutions that companies might use for media editing or for storing server information. The technology (Thunderbolt) is still in its young stages and isn't very evolved yet, but we might see Macs continuing to show large sales numbers while new Thunderbolt technology comes out until more inexpensive PC's begin to adopt the technology. That's not to say that Thunderbolt is the selling point of Macs though.

    Another thing about the Mac lineup that has really made people want them is the slim form-factor without reducing specs or performance and the build quality of the computers themselves. The MacBook Air is an amazing slim laptop that was cannibalized by buyers as soon as the new unibody version was released. The MacBook Pro continues to be updated with better processors, graphics card solutions, and native storage. This is no different with the iMac, which is an amazingly thin all-in-one desktop computer that has hardly any loose articles around it. There are many comparable PC's, but we would like to see how Apple does this year to see if there are any more patterns that can be recognized.

    How many of you made the switch to a Mac last year? Leave a comment below.

    Sources: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Now the Third Top PC Seller started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      K I'm confused. You said PC sales, then you go on to say its partly because iOS is so great...what does iOS have to do with an apple computer, nothing.

      Secondly, apple hardware is NOT top of the line, my brother just bought a 17" laptop, forget what the actual name of it is and he said oh hey look I have an i7 now too. I said great do you know which one? He said "no apple site would not tell me specs" so I dug around and it was the slowest, worst benchmarked i7 of nearly all of them. It was ranked well below the i7 I run in my dell laptop that was already A YEAR OLD. Apple went out an found the cheapest i7 they could find just to slap the label on the box so to speak.

      -Luke

      I say so to speak because Apple would never dare put a label on the box because A) it would clutter up their boxes lol and B) because it would actually provide some useful spec about the product.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
      Dell is 2nd WTF!!! I hope I don't offend anybody but I think their computers suck.
      U know u can build ur own computer with dell. So if u bought a dell and were not happy with it, I blame u as u were the one that designed it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Cellular View Post
      I just hate how dell is even on this list does anyone even buy dell anymore?

      Dell is like the worst pc vendor ever, they are still in business because of schools buying there crap dell line :/
      Why are people hating on dell. U design ur own computer and if u don't like it, guess what, U designed it.
    1. p3eps's Avatar
      p3eps -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cellular View Post
      I just hate how dell is even on this list does anyone even buy dell anymore?

      Dell is like the worst pc vendor ever, they are still in business because of schools buying there crap dell line :/
      I would imagine the majority of Dell buyers are businesses - as most offices I've been into run Dell.
      Not ours though - we've run Macs for at least 9 years (as long as I've been there) and for a good few years before that... back in the day when they were ghastly looking beige machines!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by p3eps View Post
      back in the day when they were ghastly looking beige machines!
      To be fair, so was everything else. Was it cheaper to produce in that color? It's kind of like wood paneling instead of paint on your walls. Did anyone ever think it actually looked good or did we all just kind of roll with it?

      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      Lol Dell, HP and Dell are top two because they make cheap computers and it shows. I hate HP n Dell stuff, unreliable.
      So then why isn't the same true with smart phone manufacturers?
    1. blwallace5's Avatar
      blwallace5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
      K I'm confused. You said PC sales, then you go on to say its partly because iOS is so great...what does iOS have to do with an apple computer, nothing.

      Secondly, apple hardware is NOT top of the line, my brother just bought a 17" laptop, forget what the actual name of it is and he said oh hey look I have an i7 now too. I said great do you know which one? He said "no apple site would not tell me specs" so I dug around and it was the slowest, worst benchmarked i7 of nearly all of them. It was ranked well below the i7 I run in my dell laptop that was already A YEAR OLD. Apple went out an found the cheapest i7 they could find just to slap the label on the box so to speak.

      -Luke

      I say so to speak because Apple would never dare put a label on the box because A) it would clutter up their boxes lol and B) because it would actually provide some useful spec about the product.
      1. The article is stating that more people are looking at apple computers because of their ease of use with their iOS based products. Whether you agree or not there is nothing confusing about that.

      2. Your story is complete garbage. Early 2011 17" MacBook pro's come with 2720qm and 2820qm i7 processors. Late 2011 17" MacBook Pros come with 2760qm and 2860qm processors. These are the best i7 mobile processors outside of the Extreme family, and were released in the MacBook pro within a month of Intel's release, meaning there is no way your dell could have had it a year prior.

      P.S. how could you forget the name? 17" apple laptops come in exactly one name.
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
      1. The article is stating that more people are looking at apple computers because of their ease of use with their iOS based products. Whether you agree or not there is nothing confusing about that.

      2. Your story is complete garbage. Early 2011 17" MacBook pro's come with 2720qm and 2820qm i7 processors. Late 2011 17" MacBook Pros come with 2760qm and 2860qm processors. These are the best i7 mobile processors outside of the Extreme family, and were released in the MacBook pro within a month of Intel's release, meaning there is no way your dell could have had it a year prior.

      P.S. how could you forget the name? 17" apple laptops come in exactly one name.
      But that's like saying people stopped buying windows computers because the zune sucked. i love my iphone(well actually except the 4s which has been a POS compared to all the rest in terms of number of issues) but i ABHOR OSX and my use of iOS has no bearing on my feelings towards OSX.

      my dell(purchased in june '10) has the 720QM which was released 2009Q3. I actually had my brother run sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string to pull his proc info but now realize he got rid of the 17" (and yes i forgot if macbook or pro came in 17" so shoot me) but he got rid of it for a 15" with an i5 because he had to send his 17" back twice for hard drive failure, once for optical failure and once for screen failure. I don't doubt that this was likely a lemon and not the norm for all other 17" mbp but i swear we pulled up the proc info and it was NOT the 2720 or 2820 because passmark had it ranked well below mine at the time. what did the late 2010 17" come with? it's possible he scooped up some old stock or something cuz the 2720 and 820 are no slouch.

      -Luke
    1. blwallace5's Avatar
      blwallace5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
      But that's like saying people stopped buying windows computers because the zune sucked. i love my iphone(well actually except the 4s which has been a POS compared to all the rest in terms of number of issues) but i ABHOR OSX and my use of iOS has no bearing on my feelings towards OSX.

      my dell(purchased in june '10) has the 720QM which was released 2009Q3. I actually had my brother run sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string to pull his proc info but now realize he got rid of the 17" (and yes i forgot if macbook or pro came in 17" so shoot me) but he got rid of it for a 15" with an i5 because he had to send his 17" back twice for hard drive failure, once for optical failure and once for screen failure. I don't doubt that this was likely a lemon and not the norm for all other 17" mbp but i swear we pulled up the proc info and it was NOT the 2720 or 2820 because passmark had it ranked well below mine at the time. what did the late 2010 17" come with? it's possible he scooped up some old stock or something cuz the 2720 and 820 are no slouch.

      -Luke
      That's why I said whether you agree or not on the first statement. I don't necessarily agree either but we don't represent all of the consumer base and I can still understand what the author is saying regardless of my position on the subject.

      There was no late 2010 MacBook pro, only a mid 2010 released in April of 2010. The i7 17" came with the 620m and 640m dual core processors. Unfortunately these were both upgrades as it came with an i5 in base configuration, which is lame. If your brother got this model he still had a top of the line i7 proc. your synthetic benchmark scores your 720qm much higher because it is quad core, but it is only 1.7ghz clock speed. A synthetic benchmark cannot account for the fact that programs are written differently. Many programs are written to run with the higher clock speed so all other things equal his mbp would run those programs faster than your quad core. And the opposite is true for apps with support for multiple threads. Yours would be faster then. What processor you get is dependent on your individual needs, but both of your computers have top of the line processors for their respective processor families. The 620m was released to the public 3 months before the 2010 MacBook update, so they received the newest processor available at the time.

      </novel>