• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Pod2g Updates Blog With A5 Jailbreak FAQ Explaining Why it is Not Currently Possible



    A4 iDevice users have been enjoying the labor of love that is the iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak for over a week now. However, A5 device owners (iPhone 4S and iPad 2) still live in a jailbreakless world, and apparently many have expressed their displeasure to pod2g.

    This displeasure resulted in pod2g posting the following FAQ on his blog this morning. It explains, in brief, why an A5 jailbreak is currently not possible.

    How could pod2g have an untethered 4S and dev teams still haven't released tools to achieve this at home ?

    The exploit I used to inject the untethering files to the 4S relies on having a developer account, and can't be released publicly.
    It's the same reason why @MuscleNerd has an iPad 2 tethered jailbreak but couldn't distribute it.

    So, we need to find a distributable exploit to remount the system partition read/write and to set Corona files at the correct places.

    Why A4 version of Corona was easier to release ?

    Because a tethered jailbreak is a good way to install Corona!

    Why don't you do a tethered jailbreak then ?

    A tethered jailbreak also relies on an exploitable vulnerability that we still haven't found yet !

    pod2g, release this stuff quick, [your insult here], I've waited enough now.
    While an A5 jailbreak will likely happen at some point in the future, don't expect it anytime soon. The fact that an untethered A4 iOS 5 jailbreak exists has no influence on the timeliness of the untethered A5 jailbreak's release. Patience is a virtue. A largely ignored one, but still a virtue.

    Source: pod2g

    *Thanks BSP (first tipster) and the many others who blew up our inbox with this tip this morning*
    This article was originally published in forum thread: pod2g Updates Blog With A5 Jailbreak FAQ Explaing Why it is Not Currently Possible started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 179 Comments
    1. Salmonboy's Avatar
      Salmonboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      If you have your SHSH blobs saved why can't you downgrade?
      Yes, I saved them right before I updated, so you say I'm 100% safe to downgrade?
    1. back9player's Avatar
      back9player -
      Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
      To all you fanboys that think it's kool to play cheerleader and brag about how grateful you are and how these guys donate their freakin' time for free and blah, blah, blah, I offer you this...

      TANSTAAFL-There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. If somebody got something for nothing, somebody else got nothing for something. It's the law of balance in the universe, people.

      If you guys really think these guys are doing this for nothing out of the goodness of their hearts, it only leaves you in one of two groups:

      1) You are totally a DA or
      2) You're an ostrich with your head buried in the sand that simply refuses to accept the truth or to see the same.

      Get a grip people. If you're a developer, this is a FOR PROFIT HOBBY. Wake up and smell the coffee.

      Don't misunderstand me. I'm grateful too, but in another life, I've seen the other side. It's very profitable and very lucrative, even when it looks like it's not to outsiders. 'Nuf said.

      As to the "Expect it in a week" for the A5 and all those defending it now, I offer you this: A spade is a spade. Somebody lied. Today or 4 days ago. A lie's a lie. Either they had it or they didn't and they said they did. You do the math. You can sugar-coat sh1t all you want to, it's still sh1t. I have zero confidence in this guy now. Why? He bold-faced lied to me. Either today or 4 days ago. One of those two days, he lied. Period. His motives, whatever they may have been or may be, don't change the facts. If you smell it, you can bet somebody took a dump somewhere, even if you can't find out exactly where it is. ;-)

      Having said that, I think the column's author took a lot of poetic interpretation liberty with the twit as originally released. I'm not sure pod actually said it wasn't coming. I'm not sure WHAT he said, if anything, significant.

      I said this back in the DTV days guys, and only a SMALL handful of people believed me and stood by my statements. It came to fruition and so far it's held true to today. The same thing applies here. When Apple decides it's game over, the game is over. If you refuse to believe that, you're just another ostrich burying your head in the sand. If you guys think the hackers are smarter than the guys developing the code and the hardware, you don't understand the comp sci and the mathematics of the game. I can't help that. It is beyond the scope of this course. As a math and computer science major, believe me when I say this. It WILL be over one day and today may or may not be the day. Only time will tell.
      AMEN!! well said bro... i'm so sick of hearing those hacker fanboys sucking away.. (there's something on your chin fanboy!)
    1. a.t.'s Avatar
      a.t. -
      Creating a JB is EASY and everyone here knows that. That is why people dont see what the hold up is. Even the newbiest of newbs can create one and that is also why everyone is upset that it hasnt been released yet.
      I say, release what you have @pod2g and let the "experts" here complete it for you. The same people crying for a JB are the same people who are gonna be posting OMG i bricked my phone, just because theyre not even patient enough to sit and wait while their phone is in the process of jailbreaking. you guys are ******* assholes!
      you dont feel like waiting for a jailbreak? You create one then!
    1. back9player's Avatar
      back9player -
      Quote Originally Posted by jstockton View Post
      You are right I did jump on the bandwagon and is not productive like you said, but all the negativity towards the developers just frustrates me and I felt compelled to say something. Next time I'll keep my comments to myself unless they are productive proof read
      I think we're all frustrated

      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      Doesn't make it any less true.
      Not really, it's still an opinion. Just like mine:

      People should def be patient. Agreed.

      BUT... my opinion is that any jailbreak developer who accepts donations from the public in any way, does in fact hold a certain amount of responsibility to produce jailbreak tools. And said developer should also be open to public scrutiny.

      And I'm not saying @pod2g took any donations. I'm just making a statement.
    1. m.catamount's Avatar
      m.catamount -
      If this was no big deal, Musclenerd would have figured it out and released his iPad2 JB. But, since pod is having the exact same problem with the 4s, don't expect much anytime soon. If it was a quick fix Musclenerd would have already done it. Get over it.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Everybody just needs to stop complaining. To the ungrateful people... nobody cares about your woes. To the people trying to defend the honor of the devs (for reasons unclear to me)... get off your high horse. In many cases there is good donation money in it for all of these people. Other times, getting your name out there for doing what so few others could do is worth its weight in gold (if not more). Still other times, just the satisfaction of cracking this thing is enough of a motivation. The bottom line is these devs are going to work on this thing based on what they want to do. If you think that the love of the community is what they are doing it for you are all a bunch of foolish saps.

      /rant
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Besides the fact we need to learn the information of code and such and the fact that they supposively have work and (lives) as well then who's to say we can't learn to jailbreak either? I'm almost kind of fed up with people I wouldn't mind learning this myself
    1. EVO's Avatar
      EVO -
      imagine if pod2g hadnt disable comments on his blog, so many of these losers will ***** and whine
    1. jusasb's Avatar
      jusasb -
      While an A5 jailbreak will likely happen at some point in the future, don't expect it anytime soon. The fact that an untethered A4 iOS 5 jailbreak exists has no influence on the timeliness of the untethered A5 jailbreak's release. Patience is a virtue. A largely ignored one, but still a virtue.
      That WAS written by the MMI blog writer not pod2g.
      So......... I don't get what all the fuss is that he (pod2g) lied or we won't get the jailbreak soon. Reading his original blog post it sounds like a "FAQ" . I think its to answer the people that keeps bothering him about why he doesn't release it becasue the dev team has jailbroken A5. So I infer that A5 devices should be jailbreakable in about a week.

      Pod2g never said
      don't expect it anytime soon.
      I believe he is still working hard to making it work without developer provisioning.

      I don't know why the MMi writer said not to expect it soon? inside info / speculation / worst case scenario/ start flame war ??
    1. EVO's Avatar
      EVO -
      Quote Originally Posted by jusasb View Post


      That WAS written by the MMI blog writer not pod2g.
      So......... I don't get what all the fuss is that he lied or we won't get the jailbreak soon. Reading his original blog post it sounds like a "FAQ" . I think its to answer the people that keeps bothering him about why he doesn't release it becasue the dev team has jailbroken A5. So I infer that A5 devices should be jailbreakable in about a week.
      lower your font, we can see u just fine
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      I wouldn't release a jailbreak and spend all my time doing this for you ungrateful indigents.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
      To all you fanboys that think it's kool to play cheerleader and brag about how grateful you are and how these guys donate their freakin' time for free and blah, blah, blah, I offer you this...

      TANSTAAFL-There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. If somebody got something for nothing, somebody else got nothing for something. It's the law of balance in the universe, people.

      If you guys really think these guys are doing this for nothing out of the goodness of their hearts, it only leaves you in one of two groups:

      1) You are totally a DA or
      2) You're an ostrich with your head buried in the sand that simply refuses to accept the truth or to see the same.

      Get a grip people. If you're a developer, this is a FOR PROFIT HOBBY. Wake up and smell the coffee.

      Don't misunderstand me. I'm grateful too, but in another life, I've seen the other side. It's very profitable and very lucrative, even when it looks like it's not to outsiders. 'Nuf said.

      As to the "Expect it in a week" for the A5 and all those defending it now, I offer you this: A spade is a spade. Somebody lied. Today or 4 days ago. A lie's a lie. Either they had it or they didn't and they said they did. You do the math. You can sugar-coat sh1t all you want to, it's still sh1t. I have zero confidence in this guy now. Why? He bold-faced lied to me. Either today or 4 days ago. One of those two days, he lied. Period. His motives, whatever they may have been or may be, don't change the facts. If you smell it, you can bet somebody took a dump somewhere, even if you can't find out exactly where it is. ;-)

      Having said that, I think the column's author took a lot of poetic interpretation liberty with the twit as originally released. I'm not sure pod actually said it wasn't coming. I'm not sure WHAT he said, if anything, significant.

      I said this back in the DTV days guys, and only a SMALL handful of people believed me and stood by my statements. It came to fruition and so far it's held true to today. The same thing applies here. When Apple decides it's game over, the game is over. If you refuse to believe that, you're just another ostrich burying your head in the sand. If you guys think the hackers are smarter than the guys developing the code and the hardware, you don't understand the comp sci and the mathematics of the game. I can't help that. It is beyond the scope of this course. As a math and computer science major, believe me when I say this. It WILL be over one day and today may or may not be the day. Only time will tell.

      Sounds like you did your homework.

      I guess i'm #2
      I believe that your only as strong as you think. With that being said it won't be "over" ever. Ever hear that saying,"there is always somebody better than you."
      Now if you refuse to believe that then you are one of two groups:
      1- Your a total DA or
      2- Your a flamingo with its head buried in the sand who refuses to accept the true or see it the same way.
      Guess we have more in common ehh?
    1. ehren88888's Avatar
      ehren88888 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hondakorn View Post
      Appreciate the hard work pod2g, i will happily donate at least 50 bucks upon the A5 release. Having a non-jailbroken 4s has forced me to buy apps instead of priating them.....i now understand the importance of supporting developers and prefer purchasing apps. I have been converted lol. Just my opinion...
      Hilarious post. Yes, we wouldn't want you to keep paying for apps that others create and turn around and hack them for free now would we? Loser
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
      I think we're all frustrated



      Not really, it's still an opinion. Just like mine:

      People should def be patient. Agreed.

      BUT... my opinion is that any jailbreak developer who accepts donations from the public in any way, does in fact hold a certain amount of responsibility to produce jailbreak tools. And said developer should also be open to public scrutiny.

      And I'm not saying @pod2g took any donations. I'm just making a statement.
      Opinion or not.

      People should definitely be patient. Agreed+

      But... i got nothing.
      Totally kidding i got something.
      I don't think he should be held accountable for creating jailbreaks because some people donated.
      People can think that or whatever else they want to think but the fact of the matter is... he's working for FREE. Countless hours goes into finding a vuln, even more countless hours go into developing a jb. The fact that a huge amount of donations(enough for an iphone 4s/ipad ) came after he released the jb doesn't mean he's responsible for creating jb tools in the future. Totally understand what your saying but it's an entitlement issue(not saying you) but people need to understand that this all started from dedicated developers working for free.
    1. towboattrash34's Avatar
      towboattrash34 -
      What ever happen to the Shatter exploit/Jailbreak ??? Thought it was supposed to jailbreak anything.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by towboattrash34 View Post
      What ever happen to the Shatter exploit/Jailbreak ??? Thought it was supposed to jailbreak anything.
      It was leaked, and then patched. So it was wasted.
    1. towboattrash34's Avatar
      towboattrash34 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      Sounds like you did your homework.

      I guess i'm #2
      I believe that your only as strong as you think. With that being said it won't be "over" ever. Ever hear that saying,"there is always somebody better than you."
      Now if you refuse to believe that then you are one of two groups:
      1- Your a total DA or
      2- Your a flamingo with its head buried in the sand who refuses to accept the true or see it the same way.
      Guess we have more in common ehh?
      The only reason it is over with DTV is they sent everyone to jail or fined the crap out of them/black mail letters. I was there at 1 time.

      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      It was leaked, and then patched. So it was wasted.
      Ok. All I rember is a bunch of pissed people/Dev's. Then I lost track of the drama.
    1. c14rlf's Avatar
      c14rlf -
      only yesterday he was saying expect a release this week! lol its never going to happen hes just ******* artound with you all

      Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
      There are many more reasons to jailbreak. 2 apps I can't live without is iBlacklist and MyWi. I'm in China now and tethering is perfectly legal but my iPhone still can't do it without an app. China is free to send you solicitations though SMS, even at 4 in the morning and that had drove me nuts until I bought iBlackList.

      Other tweeks include fakeclockup, SBS settings, Activator, adblock, iFile, WeeSpeeddile, and of course Ultrasn0w. None of this is possible without jailbreaking.
      yeah but most of all pirating
    1. iDeadman's Avatar
      iDeadman -
      It's sad how every news post has to have someone bring out the "fanboy" tactic as a form of an insult to make themselves feel superior. Which is down right laughable considering you're a member of a forum dedicated to idevices created by apple. Irony much? Maybe you should quit the fanbashing because in reality you're just making yourself look like a *****.