• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Elevation Dock - World's Best iPhone Dock?

    This dock is supposedly the best dock for your iPhone.

    Please view this content on a computer.

    Today, tipped by iOS developer Ori Kadosh, we found a cool new docking concept that is expected to be launched in April of this year. It is a 'perfect' docking solution that isn't so tight that you cannot get your iPhone out of the dock with one hand, and it's not so loose that you can knock it over with a touch. It's right in between. The Elevation Dock is milled out of pure aluminum, the same metal and same milling process that makes MacBook Pro and MacBook Air unibodies and also the bodies for the iMac, Mac Mini, and Apple TV remote. The process of milling is extremely precise - down to the thousands of an inch, meaning that you get high quality with the Elevation Dock for iPhone.

    The idea behind the Elevation Dock was to create a dock that was simple to add and remove an iPhone, but also make it compatible with whatever cases you might be using. How does it make it easier to add and remove the iPhone, you ask? Well, the thirty pin connector (which is the port at the bottom of every Apple iDevice) is actually modified to have little friction and simply allow the iPhone to glide on and off. This means that you can use one hand to lift or put your iPhone from or on the Elevation Dock with ease and having absolutely no hassle even when you have a case on (because of the large bay that is milled out for the iPhone and most cases. Of course, minimal to just barely medium sized cases are recommended for this. With larger cases, you might be taking a gamble. We recommend generally minimal cases like the Incipio Feather or Apple Bumper, just to name a couple.

    The Elevation Dock has some high-friction feet on the bottom of the slightly heavy aluminum body, which helps keep it in place on your desk when you insert or remove your iPhone. There is also a high-friction support pad inside the bay of the dock - this is what makes using the case possible using the Elevation Dock. The coloring, size, and appearance of this dock looks great next to any aluminum Mac computer.

    If the general look and abilities of the dock haven't already left you awestruck in the world of iPhone docks, then consider this: the Elevation Dock is made out of solid aluminum, which means that if you use any sound-based functions of the iPhone while it's sitting inside of the dock, sound will echo instead of get muffled by some other plastic dock. The Elevation dock even has an output wire so that you can use your iPhone inside of the dock with a stereo system.

    Since the Elevation Dock is machined out of high quality aluminum which is milled to precise numbers and just plain looks amazing, it will retail at $90 and international shipping will cost another $20. If you think that $90 is a lot, you should know that I used to work in the milling position; the money that goes into milling is expensive and precise. Additionally, the less that are made the more it will cost which in this case, they are made depending on the demand. Another thing to consider is that a case replacement for a MacBook Pro computer is about $200-300. That's only for the aluminum case. So, the price is actually really fair. I think this product has a great potential and I will certainly be buying one because of the build quality. The idea of being such a perfect one-handed dock also catches my eye.

    What are other Web Sites saying about the Elevation Dock? Wired says, "The Dock Apple should have made in the first place." Gizmodo says, "I'm tempted to buy an iPhone just so I can use the Elevation Dock." And lastly, Cult of Mac says, "Elevation Lab Has Designed The Most Gorgeous iPhone Dock Ever Made." It looks as though I'm not the only person that thinks that the Elevation Dock is a beautiful piece. Won't you give it a shot?

    What do you think about the Elevation Dock? Share in the comments.

    Sources: KickStarter
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Elevation Dock - World's Best iPhone Dock? started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 46 Comments
    1. JonnyBoy333's Avatar
      JonnyBoy333 -
      Very cool dock, I'll be picking one of these up in April.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It costs $90.
      + $20 shipping
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
      + $20 shipping
      Only for international shipping.

      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      does anyone know where i can find the music to this video???
      Try Shazam'ing it lol.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Only for international shipping..
      I'm at Puerto Rico. Shipping costs here are always high
    1. andrewe13's Avatar
      andrewe13 -
      Think this'll fit a otterbox commuter or defender case ?
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
      Think this'll fit a otterbox commuter or defender case ?
      I think that might be too large. We think that this will only work with minimal or medium sized cases.
    1. Colby21's Avatar
      Colby21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
      What chrome like finish? Chrome is shiny, that's matte aluminum.
      That's called brushed aluminum.
    1. sidelsol97's Avatar
      sidelsol97 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It costs $90.
      It costs too damn much. Is anyone forgetting that this is a dock....? $90 is outrageous! I just would hate to see this concept die quickly from this inflated price. He will soon realize that he got such a huge kickstarter backing because of the discounted price for the dock and that the demand he is anticipating will fall far short of the supply he is going to manufacture. I hope the best for the guy.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by sidelsol97 View Post
      It costs too damn much. Is anyone forgetting that this is a dock....? $90 is outrageous! I just would hate to see this concept die quickly from this inflated price. He will soon realize that he got such a huge kickstarter backing because of the discounted price for the dock and that the demand he is anticipating will fall far short of the supply he is going to manufacture. I hope the best for the guy.
      It's actually pretty cheap. I mean from the big picture it's expensive... but really it's cheap. I used to be a CnC miller, I went over prices for this process with my boss, and it's not cheap for the manufacturer to make. It takes forever to calibrate the machines to do this.
    1. sidelsol97's Avatar
      sidelsol97 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It's actually pretty cheap. I mean from the big picture it's expensive... but really it's cheap. I used to be a CnC miller, I went over prices for this process with my boss, and it's not cheap for the manufacturer to make. It takes forever to calibrate the machines to do this.
      Cheap, but not cheap, but cheap.....? Makes no sense. I can find countless things all across the internet that are CnC milled that are of comparable shape and size that are under $10. And he obviously has a machine that is already calibrated to do this, we can see it in the video. And my original point wasn't why it is so expensive, it is the fact that it IS so expensive. I appreciate that Lamborghini's are beautiful machines and are handmade to perfection, but they also are too damn expensive.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by sidelsol97 View Post
      Cheap, but not cheap, but cheap.....? Makes no sense. I can find countless things all across the internet that are CnC milled that are of comparable shape and size that are under $10. And he obviously has a machine that is already calibrated to do this, we can see it in the video. And my original point wasn't why it is so expensive, it is the fact that it IS so expensive. I appreciate that Lamborghini's are beautiful machines and are handmade to perfection, but they also are too damn expensive.
      Sure. But that's because the Elevation dock is of high build quality. If you find something, "comparable" then it's because it's made out of crap metal alloys that are cheaper to buy in bulk.

      I mean, when I milled with aluminum, if I made one mistake on a piece, we lost out on $100. That was because the parts after being engineered are actually worth more than the block of aluminum before hand.

      So from a professional point of view, I don't think it's that expensive. If you're a struggling middle-class American, it might appear more overpriced than it really is, but it takes self-learning behind the scenes to see the real value in what's being manufactured. Most consumers just say, "oh but it's just a hunk of aluminum, how much could it possibly cost?" when in reality... quite a bit. There's shipping, taxes, labor, and numerous other factors involved in making these things.
    1. sidelsol97's Avatar
      sidelsol97 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Sure. But that's because the Elevation dock is of high build quality. If you find something, "comparable" then it's because it's made out of crap metal alloys that are cheaper to buy in bulk.

      I mean, when I milled with aluminum, if I made one mistake on a piece, we lost out on $100. That was because the parts after being engineered are actually worth more than the block of aluminum before hand.

      So from a professional point of view, I don't think it's that expensive. If you're a struggling middle-class American, it might appear more overpriced than it really is, but it takes self-learning behind the scenes to see the real value in what's being manufactured. Most consumers just say, "oh but it's just a hunk of aluminum, how much could it possibly cost?" when in reality... quite a bit. There's shipping, taxes, labor, and numerous other factors involved in making these things.
      Irregardless, it is still an iDevice DOCK, and it is $90. If you feel the need to spend $90 so that your phone can stand up on end on your nightstand while you sleep, then by all means. If you have the $90 to burn and might want something that will give you a little more enjoyment, ThisIsWhyImBroke.com - ThisIsWhyImBroke is where you'll find cool gift ideas, unique products, and awesome birthday and christmas gift ideas. With hundreds of reasons to spend every penny you've got, ThisIsWhyImBroke features amazing products you can can surely oblige you.
    1. Phillip Swanson's Avatar
      Phillip Swanson -
      Quote Originally Posted by sidelsol97 View Post
      Irregardless, it is still an iDevice DOCK, and it is $90. If you feel the need to spend $90 so that your phone can stand up on end on your nightstand while you sleep, then by all means. If you have the $90 to burn and might want something that will give you a little more enjoyment, ThisIsWhyImBroke.com - ThisIsWhyImBroke is where you'll find cool gift ideas, unique products, and awesome birthday and christmas gift ideas. With hundreds of reasons to spend every penny you've got, ThisIsWhyImBroke features amazing products you can can surely oblige you.
      I agree this is most likely a "luxury" item especially given the dock's limited functionality. While beautiful and a fantastic aesthetic compliment to Apple's products this dock literally only charges and adds an analog line-out. No HMDI, and no additional ports unless you upgrade to the "+" version, which only includes the line-out and a usb port for charging.

      I'd love to have one, but this is definitely not the end-all-be-all of iPhone or iDevice docks. From a looks, finish, and detail standpoint you could make that argument, but functionality wise, and benefit to the average consumer is limited.
    1. ZipZapp's Avatar
      ZipZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by sidelsol97 View Post
      Irregardless, it is still an iDevice DOCK, and it is $90. If you feel the need to spend $90 so that your phone can stand up on end on your nightstand while you sleep, then by all means. If you have the $90 to burn and might want something that will give you a little more enjoyment, ThisIsWhyImBroke.com - ThisIsWhyImBroke is where you'll find cool gift ideas, unique products, and awesome birthday and christmas gift ideas. With hundreds of reasons to spend every penny you've got, ThisIsWhyImBroke features amazing products you can can surely oblige you.
      First, there is no such word as "Irregardless" its "Regardless".

      Second, even at $60 I agree with others that this is overpriced. I am sure he priced it expecting a way lower response level and now he cannot reprice.

      Also, since a milling machine is seen...could he be processing these himself (one at a time). It could take a very long time to process 5000+ pieces.
    1. KEstep's Avatar
      KEstep -
      Quote Originally Posted by sidelsol97 View Post
      Irregardless, it is still an iDevice DOCK, and it is $90. If you feel the need to spend $90 so that your phone can stand up on end on your nightstand while you sleep, then by all means. If you have the $90 to burn and might want something that will give you a little more enjoyment, ThisIsWhyImBroke.com - ThisIsWhyImBroke is where you'll find cool gift ideas, unique products, and awesome birthday and christmas gift ideas. With hundreds of reasons to spend every penny you've got, ThisIsWhyImBroke features amazing products you can can surely oblige you.
      Irregardless is not a word. Regardless is what you are looking for and I love that site you posted.
    1. sidelsol97's Avatar
      sidelsol97 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ZipZapp View Post
      First, there is no such word as "Irregardless" its "Regardless".

      Second, even at $60 I agree with others that this is overpriced. I am sure he priced it expecting a way lower response level and now he cannot reprice.

      Also, since a milling machine is seen...could he be processing these himself (one at a time). It could take a very long time to process 5000+ pieces.
      Irregardless | Define Irregardless at Dictionary.com

      Even my iPad picked it up before I even finished spelling it, and no, I didn't add it to its accepted words.
    1. iPhonePutz's Avatar
      iPhonePutz -
      Quote Originally Posted by sidelsol97 View Post
      It costs too damn much. Is anyone forgetting that this is a dock....? $90 is outrageous! I just would hate to see this concept die quickly from this inflated price. He will soon realize that he got such a huge kickstarter backing because of the discounted price for the dock and that the demand he is anticipating will fall far short of the supply he is going to manufacture. I hope the best for the guy.
      He's got almost $500k in pledges. And if I'm reading it right, the "backers" have used Amazon to send payments. Is it possible for them to back out (no pun intended)? If not, it doesn't look like this concept will die.
    1. sidelsol97's Avatar
      sidelsol97 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ZipZapp View Post
      First, there is no such word as "Irregardless" its "Regardless".

      Second, even at $60 I agree with others that this is overpriced. I am sure he priced it expecting a way lower response level and now he cannot reprice.

      Also, since a milling machine is seen...could he be processing these himself (one at a time). It could take a very long time to process 5000+ pieces.
      http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=irregardless&o=0&l=dir
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Its irregardless if the word regardless is a word or not
      BAM used in a sentence