• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Source Claims Sixty-Six Percent of Phones Sold at AT&T Stores in December Were iPhones

    Courtesy of Mac Observer

    AT&T sold the iPhone exclusively for over three years, and according to a recent survey, the carrierís reliance on iPhone sales hasn't diminished.

    Mac Observer, citing an inside source at AT&T, claims the iPhone made up 66% of phone sales at AT&T corporate retail stores during the month of December, while Android accounted for 8.5%. AT&Tís stores sold 981,000 iPhones between December 1 and December 27. During the same period AT&Tís stores sold 126,000 Android devices.

    Basic feature phones managed to sell more than Android devices with 128,000 units moved. RIMís Blackberry devices continued their decline managing to sell 74,0000 units and Windows Phone 7 devices did even worse.

    While all of this information looks to spell out a nice holiday whitewashing by the iPhone, the data only includes sales figures from AT&Tís corporate stores. The source did not include authorized resellers sales, online sales, retail outlets or telephone sales. Appleís iPhone has long been AT&Tís flagship smartphone, amassing 56% of AT&T smartphone orders last quarter so it stands to reason the iPhone's popularity would carry over into the holiday season.

    Tim Cook mentioned last quarter he was confident Apple would set another iPhone sales record during the December quarter, no doubt fueled by the iPhone 4S and the holiday shopping season. Some analysts estimate Apples revenue at over $40 billion for the December quarter besting Appleís own estimate of $37 billion.


    Souce: Mac Observer [via Apple Insider]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Source Claims Sixty-Six Percent of Phones Sold at AT&T Stores in December Were iPhones started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
    1. johnr9412's Avatar
      johnr9412 -
      Crap..should've been 66.6% haha
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Yeah cause what kind of an idiot is gunna ask for an Android
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I am honestly floored that Android is so low on the list. I feel the numbers are off, but that is just a gut feeling.
    1. Phillip Swanson's Avatar
      Phillip Swanson -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I am honestly floored that Android is so low on the list. I feel the numbers are off, but that is just a gut feeling.
      That was my initial feeling as well. It'll be interesting to see what the December quarter official numbers show which will hopefully include reseller data from multiple outlets. Although, I do have a feeling AT&T corporate stores most likely pushed the iPhone 4S during its launch window which could have lead to the discrepancy.
    1. inappropriate response's Avatar
      inappropriate response -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
      That was my initial feeling as well. It'll be interesting to see what the December quarter official numbers show which will hopefully include reseller data from multiple outlets. Although, I do have a feeling AT&T corporate stores most likely pushed the iPhone 4S during its launch window which could have lead to the discrepancy.
      funny I was just about to write a sarcastic reply about at&t all being apple fanboys,...
    1. Go Gators's Avatar
      Go Gators -
      These numbers aren't even close to accurate. Android is activating 700,000 devices a DAY and only 8% of AT&T's sales were Android? Yeah right! This is a bs article just to try and make Apple look better since they're getting destroyed by Android in the real world.
    1. solarstar101's Avatar
      solarstar101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
      These numbers aren't even close to accurate. Android is activating 700,000 devices a DAY and only 8% of AT&T's sales were Android? Yeah right! This is a bs article just to try and make Apple look better since they're getting destroyed by Android in the real world.
      Calm down droid fan
      BUT i see what you mean it does appear to be off
    1. Orby's Avatar
      Orby -
      Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
      These numbers aren't even close to accurate. Android is activating 700,000 devices a DAY and only 8% of AT&T's sales were Android? Yeah right! This is a bs article just to try and make Apple look better since they're getting destroyed by Android in the real world.
      Please keep in mind that 700k/day is the "publicly stated" global activation rate, while these are "numbers from an inside, unnamed source."

      Frankly, both could be utterly untrue fluff.

      That being said, however; I agree with your general sentiment that these numbers do NOT pass the red-face test. If Android's market share is as expansive as it is purported to be in the United States, then I'd anticipate the second-largest US carrier and their primary retail outlet would be selling at least a double-digit percentage of Android phones.

      Now if Verizon's numbers came out the same general way (or even a ratio of 1:1 Android/Apple phones) I'd really be suspicious.
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Those A-hole slow down my data.
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      Android 700K a day is world wide and new activations (new accounts). How many of those iPhone sales were new accounts? How many were upgrades? That makes a big difference.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
      Android 700K a day is world wide and new activations (new accounts). How many of those iPhone sales were new accounts? How many were upgrades? That makes a big difference.
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      Yeah cause what kind of an idiot is gunna ask for an Android
      It only makes since to get a sucky phone(droid) if your used to them or want a bigger screen