• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Issuing Take Down Notices to Major Piracy Sources

    Apple is finally attacking their money-making barricades.

    Piracy is a large problem in the computer world and one company that's really feeling the pain from it is Apple. As we know Apple takes a thirty percent cut from all App Store sales. This means it makes sense that Apple would want to kill off any iOS piracy firms. One of the large firms can be accessed from iDevices through a Cydia source with their own application. This is one reason why Apple doesn't want us jailbreaking our iDevices. We don't condone piracy and it isn't allowed here. Apple doesn't want it around either.

    Cracked iOS applications cost Apple a ton of money. Millions are downloaded each day out of ignorance that people are really hurting the companies. Millions more are downloaded each day on purpose because people want stuff for free and simply don't care that what they're doing is wrong. The after effect of all of these applications not being sold is Apple and the hard-working developers included losing out on billions of dollars.

    Apple has issued 'take down' warnings to one of these firms in attempt to destroy the firm. This firm is taking measures into their own hands to try and avoid being shut down by moving their servers to countries around the world where copyright isn't applicable. A cowardly move by the firm involved - they are attempting to keep the servers up and running completely against Apple's demands and against United States copyright laws. The firm said this:

    Originally Posted by Piracy Firm:
    Over the last several months, Apple has been scraping [piracy firm name withdrawn] for links and sending huge takedown notices for a ton of content. We’ve been working to keep [piracy firm name withdrawn] up-to-date, but the only (effective) way to prevent automated takedowns was to add a CAPTCHA to outbound links. In addition, we finished moving our servers to several different countries earlier this week. This has raised our costs far beyond what we can afford with declining donations, meaning that we will have to place an advertisement on that CAPTCHA page.
    With Apple supporting the SOPA bill by proxy early in the beginning of its introduction and later backing away from it, we can now see why Apple is so stifling about piracy. Apple backed out of the SOPA bill only because of the seemingly questionable powers that it gives the government and businesses. Aside from that, the idea of being able to shut down piracy firms sounded good to them. We will likely see more bills similar to SOPA in the future that try to keep piracy from existing.

    We expect that with Apple attacking one of the largest cracked iOS application firms, we will see much more coming up. Like all companies, they are out to make money and anything that stands in their way is a threat that needs to be terminated. Companies have fought piracy for ages - will Apple be able to put tighter control on it? Only time will tell.

    Do you think Apple will be successful in breaking most iOS piracy in half? Share in the comments.

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Issuing Take Down Notices to Major Piracy Sources started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 204 Comments
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      I use "that app" all the time, I see no reason why I should pay for an App that I was never going to buy in the first place and then never use it. May as well use "that app" to try it out.
      I see no reason for you to own an application that you were never going to buy in the first place.
    1. JedixJarf's Avatar
      JedixJarf -
      If apple would implement some sort of refund policy like the android market has that would be a great alternative. On my droid if an app is crap and doesnt work right I can request a refund, if I could do this on my iPhone to that would be awesome.
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hbdragon88 View Post
      You-Know-Who's philosophy is that they do this because Apple doesn't offer refunds or a trial period.

      If either was implemented, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
      I would love this idea, but I highly doubt it would impact the "hackers"

      And just for the record...apple isn't suffering from anything
    1. tylorddude123's Avatar
      tylorddude123 -
      We all realize that "that" app has used capchas almost since it has ever been out and that the advertisements are all over the download pages. I don't think apple will be able to take down the servers successfully. And I don't get why they don't say the name because we all know it is either ******* or *******

      Admin edit
    1. baskie's Avatar
      baskie -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      I use "that app" all the time, I see no reason why I should pay for an App that I was never going to buy in the first place and then never use it. May as well use "that app" to try it out.
      That is the comment of the week!

      I am going to apply that logic to everything for the week. It rocks.
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      "That App" I have alot of iPhone users asking how to jailbreak. In the beginning jailbreaking was about, themes, tweaks, and utilities. Now alot of people only jailbreak for piracy, that has given the jailbreak community a black eye. I think is very bad for the future of jailbreaking. I've bought apps that have been horrible, and I was out what .99 to 4.99. If thats gonna break you, you should have a iPhone to start with.
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      And I bet a mod takes those names out of your post. If they can't report in full then don't report on it at all.
    1. baskie's Avatar
      baskie -
      Quote Originally Posted by tylorddude123 View Post
      We all realize that "that" app has used capchas almost since it has ever been out and that the advertisements are all over the download pages. I don't think apple will be able to take down the servers successfully. And I don't get why they don't say the name because we all know it is either ****** or ******
      OH MY GOD!

      You've said it! Your going to burn in hell!!!
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      Admin Edit:
      Quoting the warez only creates more work for us mods.... Report it and move on

      My Edit:
      Please don't remove my comment, just remove the quote.
    1. GoofyEMT's Avatar
      GoofyEMT -
      Piracy is one thing, I dont agree with stealing anyones work. But attacking third party apps is another ballgame. Get over yourself Apple. You made a great operating system! That's why we want to exploit what it could REALLY DO, if you'd STOP LIMITING IT!!
    1. saunupe1911's Avatar
      saunupe1911 -
      apple needs to issue out the "refund within 15 minutes" policy like the Androids. Reasons like this is why an iPhone 5 will be a tough item for me to purchase. Android is looking better and better and ICS will be a game changer.
    1. Bil1505's Avatar
      Bil1505 -
      I know ill get criticism for this, but o well. I am willing to bet any amount of money that anybody who says they never downloaded a cracked app, movie torrent or any other pirated material are flat out liars. It is only reality that within the world we live everybody wants something for free and if they can get it for free they will. Apple just wants another excuse to flex their muscles, but they will soon realize there fighting another loosing battle.
    1. Broomhead's Avatar
      Broomhead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Agent929 View Post
      And I bet a mod takes those names out of your post.
      that's a safe bet post cleaned
    1. saunupe1911's Avatar
      saunupe1911 -
      I'm against pirating 100%, but we need some way to at least try out apps. Every app doesn't get reviewed and there is 1000 crappy apps for 1 great app. Even iTunes lets you sample a song and you can watch a trailer on a movie. Just Sayin (shrugs)
    1. Alluziion's Avatar
      Alluziion -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
      The music industry has failed to beat piracy
      The film industry has failed to beat piracy

      Can't see Apple winning where everyone else has failed on this front
      Apple arguably SAVED the music industry and could potentially save the film industry with its Apple TV, iPad and rumoured Smart TVs. Whose to say a company which has succeeded where others have failed can't do it again? Remember that Apple are leaders in innovation, it's why they are the billion dollar giant they are today.

      But don't get me wrong, I totally agree that you can NEVER beat piracy because these hackers are too dam good and where major public companies must abide by the law and regulations, the 'anonymous' hackers - do not (because they are difficult to identify and compromise). However, what I'm saying is that Apple WILL come up with an idea in which reduces the need for piracy or a new, stronger and more efficient security structure.

      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      I use "that app" all the time, I see no reason why I should pay for an App that I was never going to buy in the first place and then never use it. May as well use "that app" to try it out.
      Aren't you contradicting yourself a little?
    1. SnowLeo's Avatar
      SnowLeo -
      Sadly there really is no real way to end piracy for good. They will always find loopholes and ways around the law when someone tries to shut them down. Take the piratebay.. Theyre still up and running after probably the biggest court case of its kind against them. Limewire shut down so then what... Frostwire opens up the next day. Apple should know from that experience alone that sadly its a hopeless effort. The name of the company and app that I cannot mention on this site had once been run by a different set of developers who shut it down and handed it over to others who only made things EASIER and bigger for pirates. If SOPA could have been implemented only on its core idea to remove piracy sites and didnt throw in all that other political BS it would be an amazing bill. Sadly with shady companys like this piracy company, it would need to be an international effort, and with the way politicians these days love to stop important bills and make it take forever to get stuff done, I dont see an end of piracy any time in the foreseeable future
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
      that's a safe bet post cleaned
      he forgot to clean my quote lol
    1. katsumex's Avatar
      katsumex -
      Posted by skrillex
      happy holidays just like I promised.... just like i always say, go pirate it if you don't have money..i just want you to have it... or you can buy it here..either way I'll love you Bangarang EP [Big Beat Records] :: Beatport
      Sorry just my opinion on this
    1. ggab's Avatar
      ggab -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It's not Apple's job to offer trial periods. It's the developer's job. The big picture here is that if you need something - know what you want and then buy it. You don't need to pirate for an excuse to get things for free - trying it or not.

      I have asked numerous developers in person if I could try something and they were more than happy to let me have a try with it.
      Not sure why you say it's all up to the developer. It would help if a developer was even allowed to offer free trials of apps in the AppStore. Although they are considering it according to that article. I'm fine with buying a $.99 cent app blindly (or going off the reviews), but a $50 navigation app? Hell no.
    1. Feanor64's Avatar
      Feanor64 -
      exactly apple isnt suffering from anything im always dumbfounded by stuff like this. think about this for a second i have a jailbroke iphone now i go to get a new iphone that has some new features in the ios that closely resemble some cydia tweaks i already have on my iphone isnt apple infringing on those developers rights what about that and also im not gonna buy a new iphone because the one ive got is fine its jailbroke the way i like it oh wow apple just lost money the bottom line is piracy may cause apple to lose money but so does jailbreaking but some ppl dont wanna see this for some reason its my phone dmca exempt blah blah blah why do u think apple spit out 4.3.4 but jailbroken apple lovers ignore this WAKE UP WE COST APPLE MONEY NOT ONLY INSTa....STOP BEING A HYPOCRITE now plz rip me apart