• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Issuing Take Down Notices to Major Piracy Sources

    Apple is finally attacking their money-making barricades.

    Piracy is a large problem in the computer world and one company that's really feeling the pain from it is Apple. As we know Apple takes a thirty percent cut from all App Store sales. This means it makes sense that Apple would want to kill off any iOS piracy firms. One of the large firms can be accessed from iDevices through a Cydia source with their own application. This is one reason why Apple doesn't want us jailbreaking our iDevices. We don't condone piracy and it isn't allowed here. Apple doesn't want it around either.

    Cracked iOS applications cost Apple a ton of money. Millions are downloaded each day out of ignorance that people are really hurting the companies. Millions more are downloaded each day on purpose because people want stuff for free and simply don't care that what they're doing is wrong. The after effect of all of these applications not being sold is Apple and the hard-working developers included losing out on billions of dollars.

    Apple has issued 'take down' warnings to one of these firms in attempt to destroy the firm. This firm is taking measures into their own hands to try and avoid being shut down by moving their servers to countries around the world where copyright isn't applicable. A cowardly move by the firm involved - they are attempting to keep the servers up and running completely against Apple's demands and against United States copyright laws. The firm said this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Piracy Firm
    Over the last several months, Apple has been scraping [piracy firm name withdrawn] for links and sending huge takedown notices for a ton of content. We’ve been working to keep [piracy firm name withdrawn] up-to-date, but the only (effective) way to prevent automated takedowns was to add a CAPTCHA to outbound links. In addition, we finished moving our servers to several different countries earlier this week. This has raised our costs far beyond what we can afford with declining donations, meaning that we will have to place an advertisement on that CAPTCHA page.
    With Apple supporting the SOPA bill by proxy early in the beginning of its introduction and later backing away from it, we can now see why Apple is so stifling about piracy. Apple backed out of the SOPA bill only because of the seemingly questionable powers that it gives the government and businesses. Aside from that, the idea of being able to shut down piracy firms sounded good to them. We will likely see more bills similar to SOPA in the future that try to keep piracy from existing.

    We expect that with Apple attacking one of the largest cracked iOS application firms, we will see much more coming up. Like all companies, they are out to make money and anything that stands in their way is a threat that needs to be terminated. Companies have fought piracy for ages - will Apple be able to put tighter control on it? Only time will tell.

    Do you think Apple will be successful in breaking most iOS piracy in half? Share in the comments.

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Issuing Take Down Notices to Major Piracy Sources started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 204 Comments
    1. tayman's Avatar
      tayman -
      Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
      We hackers will just stay a step ahead of apple just like the reason we jailbreak it does not hurt the greedy pigs I will never pay for a app if I can get it free there is no reason too would you work for less money if a job payed more or pay more income tax just because you could of course NOT!

      Apple is just plain Greedy that is the only reason for this I for one will never stop using cracked apps would you pay more income tax just because you could of course NOT!
      It's people like you, who feel that you don't have to pay for things, that will eventually be the demise of developers developing for a platform where there apps are just going to get cracked and given away. I assume you use tons of jailbreak tweaks that should have been paid for, but managed to get it for free. And are one of the first to complain when it doesn't work right. You're no better then a common thief. Get a job, if you have a job, get a better one, pay for things that were meant to be paid for like normal people do.
    1. DJStile's Avatar
      DJStile -
      As someone who recently spent a week on the Android platform and am now returning to iOS I can say iOS pros definitely outweigh it's cons...HOWEVER; one MAJOR benefit to Android is every single app has a 15 minute return policy. Neither Apple nor the devs should have any problem with this at all. If you made a quality app, then your app should be worth the money after 15 minutes. If it isn't - then you need to design a better app. There are multiple paid apps I would definitely buy if I knew I could return them in 15 minutes if I really didn't like it.
    1. AAred's Avatar
      AAred -
      Apple needs to stop limiting apps so much. Sure Android can get malware, but if you don't search "game" and download the first 500 results you should be fine. I don't think it's fair how an app that's $1 on iOS will cost $1 on Android as well, when the Android one is way better. if it weren't for jailbreaking, and all the insanely awesome tweaks that you can get through it, i'd have ditched Apple and ran for Android a long time ago.
    1. babyydaveyy's Avatar
      babyydaveyy -
      Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
      It's people like you, who feel that you don't have to pay for things, that will eventually be the demise of developers developing for a platform where there apps are just going to get cracked and given away. I assume you use tons of jailbreak tweaks that should have been paid for, but managed to get it for free. And are one of the first to complain when it doesn't work right. You're no better then a common thief. Get a job, if you have a job, get a better one, pay for things that were meant to be paid for like normal people do.
      Please. Your telling me you've never pirated anything?

      I'm studying to become a developer but I still pirate stuff and most of the people in my year do the same.

      Don't get me wrong I respect all the dev's hard work but if jailbreaking tools started to charge for their services, I'm sure a majority of users would pirate it too. And then those who did pay would gloat about it here on modmyi lol
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Stealing is stealing. Whether it's a piece of candy from a store or a pencil from work or a toy from a toy store or a car in the street or breaking into someone's house and taking their TV and their silverware... or stealing a $.99 app for your phone. It's stealing. You have to simply admit to yourself that you ARE stealing. If you can do that, then I guess stealing is ok for you. All the rest is simply making excuses for your behavior. Jailbreaking is NOT stealing. Jailbreaking is legal. When it becomes an issue is when you use the jailbroken device to install stolen merchandise on said device. I have no need for a gazzilion apps and games on my phone, often just because I see that they are offered. If there are no reviews, why do you want it? Just because you can get it for free? Wait for a review or two or more before making an educated purchase. Maybe you don't REALLY want/need it. I can walk down the street and see lots of stuff in peoples windows. That doesn't mean I have the right to break in and take it. Anymore than I can take stuff from a store. Why do you think we have locks on our doors? When you shop at a store, isn't it funny that the Blu-Rays and the video games are either locked up so you can't even put them in your basket or are enclosed in a special case to prevent you from using them if you DO manage to steal them? Well, Apple is simply trying to protect its intellectual and actual property. I agree that a return policy makes sense, especially for large, pricier apps. But making apologies for pirate sites is just ridiculous.

      And, after all, you are stealing $.99 apps! For a device that costs hundreds of dollars to buy and a hundred bucks a month to run.
    1. DukeNukem's Avatar
      DukeNukem -
      As of 9:30 EST, I've read lies from about 55 people.
    1. jf907079's Avatar
      jf907079 -
      Well...I'll go out on a limb and say this. I personally....am not about to kick out $5+ for a app, then turn around and dont like it or it turns out not a described. I download the cracked apps 1st. If I like it....I buy it. The app store needs to offer at least the 15min window as android do before charging you for a app. If you return the app you don't get charged. If you don't then you'll charged for the app. Until then I'm going to continue doing it the way I always have.
    1. Phillip Swanson's Avatar
      Phillip Swanson -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      Stealing is stealing. Whether it's a piece of candy from a store or a pencil from work or a toy from a toy store or a car in the street or breaking into someone's house and taking their TV and their silverware... or stealing a $.99 app for your phone. It's stealing. You have to simply admit to yourself that you ARE stealing. If you can do that, then I guess stealing is ok for you. All the rest is simply making excuses for your behavior. Jailbreaking is NOT stealing. Jailbreaking is legal. When it becomes an issue is when you use the jailbroken device to install stolen merchandise on said device. I have no need for a gazzilion apps and games on my phone, often just because I see that they are offered. If there are no reviews, why do you want it? Just because you can get it for free? Wait for a review or two or more before making an educated purchase. Maybe you don't REALLY want/need it. I can walk down the street and see lots of stuff in peoples windows. That doesn't mean I have the right to break in and take it. Anymore than I can take stuff from a store. Why do you think we have locks on our doors? When you shop at a store, isn't it funny that the Blu-Rays and the video games are either locked up so you can't even put them in your basket or are enclosed in a special case to prevent you from using them if you DO manage to steal them? Well, Apple is simply trying to protect its intellectual and actual property. I agree that a return policy makes sense, especially for large, pricier apps. But making apologies for pirate sites is just ridiculous.

      And, after all, you are stealing $.99 apps! For a device that costs hundreds of dollars to buy and a hundred bucks a month to run.
      Definitely no reason to condone piracy, but I'm interested to see what the actual numbers are in terms of revenue lost to pirated applications. What percentage of iPhones in the world are jailbroken? Then what percentage of those jailbreakers actively pirate Apps? I have a feeling its not nearly as much as we think, and to think Apple is actually hurting because of piracy is lunacy. They have the right to protect their IP, and their contracts, but Apple isn't hurting. The people who lose out in piracy are the actual developers. They already fork over 30% to Apple, now someone else wants to make sure that other 70% never sees their pockets.

      Apple is going to make their money one way with or without piracy. Developers don't have that same luxury.
    1. rocky5's Avatar
      rocky5 -
      People need to stop using the damn word stealing! as its not correct people aren't removing any property from the devs or apple, only & I mean only POTENTIAL sales & even at that it's lame excuse to do this.

      The Difference Between Piracy and Stealing

      I do not condone piracy but I'm not 100% against it as it hurts no one, it's just morally wrong.

      Quote from that site, the main part you need to read.
      There is a big difference between what is now known as "piracy" and stealing. Stealing does constitute a direct loss of sales for a company. Stealing entails physically going to a store, taking something off a shelf, and walking out of the store without paying for it. In doing so, the thief takes tangible goods out of the store. It cost the company something to manufacture the packaging, to burn the CD, and to ship it to the store. Furthermore, the removal of that item from the store's shelf means that another potential customer may come in and find the shelf empty, in which case that potential customer will be unable to buy the product. The result of this is that the customer may end up buying a different product simply because the store was sold out of the original item. In this case, the thief has a direct, tangible effect on the revenues of a company.

      Piracy is a totally different thing. With piracy, the pirate sits in his chair at his computer, looks on file sharing services for a copy of the full version of the software, and usually waits a few hours for it to download. It's true that the pirate is getting goods without paying for them, and that it's a morally unacceptable action. But that doesn't mean that he cost the company any money.

      See, when a pirate downloads a full version of a piece of software, the pirate isn't leeching bandwidth from the company's servers. The pirate has to download the software from some other person who has already purchased it. So bandwidth costs because of the pirate are zero for the company. Furthermore, the pirate isn't depriving any other potential customer of the game: he has not physically removed a copy of the software from a store shelf. There's no loss of sale for the company there, either. Finally, the software company paid absolutely nothing for the packaging or manufacturing of the product. Given the nature of computer software, it was downloaded from someone else's computer; so no manufacturing was needed.

      It could be argued that piracy amounts to lost sales because a pirate would be motivated to buy the software if he couldn't download it. However, given that pirates go out of their way to search the internet for pirated copies and to wait for the software to finish downloading, it's still highly unlikely that they would have ever bought the software, whatever the circumstances. Pirates don't want to go to the store, and they don't want to pay money for software. So this can't be legitimately construed as a loss of revenue.
      c
    1. Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
      Mc-Lovin_341 -
      I really do hope apple try and stop this, I admit iv used ****** in the past but it was simply to try out the apps before purchase. Nowadays they seem to be much more 'lite' versions of apps free on the app store now in order to try for free without buying.
    1. domenicp's Avatar
      domenicp -
      Quote Originally Posted by sino84 View Post
      WTF! Now they're doing the same like Sony did before with the PS3!!! Ok, piracy is hurting their business...but is this really necessary?! After this they'll be after our iOS hackers!!!

      An iDevice is nothing without a Jailbreak! Limited functions! A few people already moved to Android...
      This is about piracy and not jail breaking. As a developer on other platforms, piracy hurts those that work hard at providing software.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
      People need to stop using the damn word stealing! as its not correct people aren't removing any property from the devs or apple, only & I mean only POTENTIAL sales & even at that it's lame excuse to do this.

      The Difference Between Piracy and Stealing

      Quote from that site, the main part you need to read.
      c
      Trade is to pay in exchange for a good or service, not just physical objects. To not pay is something outside of trade. It is stealing. This is like saying it is not wrong to not pay a repairman because you are not taking a material object away from him.

      Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
      I do not condone piracy but I'm not 100% against it as it hurts no one, it's just morally wrong.
      Your edit makes a little more sense
    1. oddphone20's Avatar
      oddphone20 -
      Quote Originally Posted by 3xpl05iv3 View Post
      I have been both a pirate and a developer for years and can say that like it or not developer programing and reverse engineering go hand in hand, I develop stuff and sell it because I have no money either but I also give it away free if asked, I crack stuff and have been for a good 12-13 years, I havent brought (with the exception of an anti virus software that I share a 3 pc licence with) a pc app, phone app, opperating system, album or film for all that time, love me or hate me the reason I havent is I couldnt afford to,& that aint likely to change any time soon! So really no one has lost out but I have gained a respect for for the music films software and games I've had the pleasure in usingall these years, as a developer I would be happy to see people wanting to share and pirate my stuff.
      This is the most honest thing I've ever read. People sometime believe their views are the only ones that are correct......like labeling piracy and anything involved bad. Who ever coined the word Piracy? Just some rich guy that stole all his money in the first place. I have used these "taboo" apps...and when they are worth the money, and an app that lives up to it's own hype I buy it. An app that constantly is updated and always works I buy it. And I've found a lot. To many flash in the pan BS apps that are crap or never quite work right. People nowadays would just rather point a finger at someone else( while deflecting attention away from themselves) saying "Look at him and what he's doing". Morality( believe it or not) does work on a siding scale.A man that steals a radio is a thief. What is a man that steals food to eat? Things aren't always black and white.On another note....some people here are saying $.99 isn't a lot to loose. I've had every model iPhone and iPad ever made and it adds up. I've always been taught not to throw my money away, not to crumble it, to respect what it represents...hard work. Unless you don't "work" for your money. If you guys think this way in every aspect of life...you may wanna rethink the game plan. ANYONE THAT SELLS A CRAP APP IS PIRATING MY MONEY. Then these "Crap App" makers have the Audacity to say their moneys being stolen.I will not shed a tear for them. Like me or hate me...this is the way I feel.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by oddphone20 View Post
      This is the most honest thing I've ever read. People sometime believe their views are the only ones that are correct......like labeling piracy and anything involved bad. Who ever coined the word Piracy? Just some rich guy that stole all his money in the first place. I have used these "taboo" apps...and when they are worth the money, and an app that lives up to it's own hype I buy it. An app that constantly is updated and always works I buy it. And I've found a lot. To many flash in the pan BS apps that are crap or never quite work right. People nowadays would just rather point a finger at someone else( while deflecting attention away from themselves) saying "Look at him and what he's doing". Morality( believe it or not) does work on a siding scale.A man that steals a radio is a thief. What is a man that steals food to eat? Things aren't always black and white.On another note....some people here are saying $.99 isn't a lot to loose. I've had every model iPhone and iPad ever made and it adds up. I've always been taught not to throw my money away, not to crumble it, to respect what it represents...hard work. Unless you don't "work" for your money. If you guys think this way in every aspect of life...you may wanna rethink the game plan. ANYONE THAT SELLS A CRAP APP IS PIRATING MY MONEY. Then these "Crap App" makers have the Audacity to say their moneys being stolen.I will not shed a tear for them. Like me or hate me...this is the way I feel.
      No one said it's wrong to pirate if your life depends on it. My main concern is people that just pirate everything because they don't feel the need to pay.
    1. oddphone20's Avatar
      oddphone20 -
      No one ever said an app is a life or death thing. I had exaggerated the point so people would understand my inference. Bottom line.. Just because software can't be refunded doesn't make it right. I do understand your concern though. I'm tired of being bent over. These Jerks that have endless pages of apps never use 95% of them.. They just wanna say they have all them. The fact is these people would have never bought these apps. Though apps are a product, when downloaded there is nothing physical. So, if downloaded..but never used...and would have never been bought... how is anyone losing out? This is just another way to try to get more "control". Look at the way the springboard is set up. Any more apps than 200-300 would make it unnavagatable( Even this many is a real pain) And 200 apps 365 days, you do the math. How many apps can a person use on a consent basis? All should not be punished for the actions of this small fraction of people.They will always exsist. No matter what facet of life.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by oddphone20 View Post
      No one ever said an app is a life or death thing. I had exaggerated the point so people would understand my inference. Bottom line.. Just because software can't be refunded doesn't make it right. I do understand your concern though. I'm tired of being bent over. These Jerks that have endless pages of apps never use 95% of them.. They just wanna say they have all them. The fact is these people would have never bought these apps. Though apps are a product, when downloaded there is nothing physical. So, if downloaded..but never used...and would have never been bought... how is anyone losing out? This is just another way to try to get more "control". Look at the way the springboard is set up. Any more apps than 200-300 would make it unnavagatable( Even this many is a real pain) And 200 apps 365 days, you do the math. How many apps can a person use on a consent basis? All should not be punished for the actions of this small fraction of people.They will always exsist. No matter what facet of life.
      True. I think they should provide returns for at least 15 minutes.
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      People do loose a lot of money when people use third party app store's from cydia. The only thing i wish the app store had( don't really want to bring this into it)is the ability to buy app and have 10-15min to try it out. If u don't like it then u can click on the refund button(shell i say it the same thing android has). To me that would be a great feature if they could implement that into the app-store some how.
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      I can agree to that
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
      That's a retarded suggestion. Waze requires data. Problem isn't "solved". Your head is so far up Apple's *** that you can't admit that them not allowing free trials of real, full versions of apps is stupid. Lite versions aren't real "trials". They don't allow trials in the Mac AppStore either. Dumb dumb dumb...
      Are you kidding me? You're going to revert to personal attacks to get your point across? You've just lost ALL of your credibility from me.

      Your definition of a trial is as far up the bull line as I can see. A trial is anything that lets you test something to see if it works. Screen Shot 2011-12-31 at 12.37.23 AM.png
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
      It's people like you, who feel that you don't have to pay for things, that will eventually be the demise of developers developing for a platform where there apps are just going to get cracked and given away. I assume you use tons of jailbreak tweaks that should have been paid for, but managed to get it for free. And are one of the first to complain when it doesn't work right. You're no better then a common thief. Get a job, if you have a job, get a better one, pay for things that were meant to be paid for like normal people do.
      That's a little harsh isn't it?