• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Consumer Reports Blasts Verizon iPhone 4 Ahead of Launch


    Reminiscent of the "Death Grip" saga that plagued Apple's iPhone 4 in the headlines for months, Consumer Reports is once again blasting the smartphone maker of the February launch of Verizon's iPhone. As it turns out, Consumer Reports doesn't see much difference between the Verizon iPhone 4 and its GSM sibling on AT&T. In other words, Consumer Reports doesn't like either.

    Of course, this doesn't mean Apple or Verizon should be worried. The venerable consumer watchdog blasted the iPhone 4 last summer and adamantly opposed any recommendation of the handset. Apple went on to sell millions of devices and enjoy the best fiscal year in company history. So its unlikely that the latest report will do any significant damage to the Verizon iPhone. Still, Consumer Reports wants people to know about the concerns it has.

    Writing for the publication, Paul Reynolds and Mike Gikas warn potential buyers about this "middle aged" product. “It may be quickly replaced by a newer, cooler version more quickly than is customary even for the die-young life expectancy of most smart phones,” Reynolds and Gikas contend. “With Apple likely to ship a new iPhone generation in June or July, as it always has for the iPhone, this is a transitional phone to tide Verizon through until the summer.”

    Perhaps the biggest concern is that the iPhone 4 has joined the CDMA family. “The smart phone market has changed in ways that make the iPhone 4 show its age," the review states. "It works on third-generation data network at a time when carriers—Verizon among them—have launched faster 4G networks and phones that work on them.”

    With only a few compliments to be found in the whole report - like the observation that Verizon, at least, will be “a fine carrier” - the Consumer Reports piece largely finds fault with the iPhone 4 in terms of looking out for consumers in the future of the smartphone world. Essentially, the report says: "why buy this now when Apple or another smartphone maker will release something cooler, faster, and better in the coming months?" Fortunately, most smartphone consumers are already smart enough to know that such is the reality in virtually any contemporary consumer electronics category. For this reason, it's highly unlikely that the prospect of an iPhone 5 will vastly slow purchases of the iPhone 4 during the next six months.

    Consumer Reports
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Consumer Reports Blasts Verizon iPhone 4 Ahead of Launch started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 37 Comments
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      C reports is turned into a bunch of crying crystal ball has beens. They lost some credibility with their rants on the i4. And now are looking for redemption. I see them loosing more sweeps by this report as well. Also they never get faqs anymore. Like how bout the current "apple will make the gsm handhelds 1st then start production on the CDMA i5. While Verizon is huge. They are no match for the 95% world wide gsm companies. CDMA sucks and 4g, while better than the current speed, is no match for GSM.
    1. imnew2hu's Avatar
      imnew2hu -
      Ok by starters I Work For At&t mobility Store sales and im excited that the Iphone 4 is going to Verizon!

      So regardless that consumer reports dosn't think its a great idea I do and here are the reasons why...

      1 larger sales base For Apple eg more profit more research and development and more apps.
      2 a quality smart phone For a Company with Good coverage.
      3 once people who switch back to Verizon from At&t or any other carrier and find that their new phone slash computer wont do voice and data at the same time At&t's iphone wont look so bad.

      Now is that a major factor For most Of us? "no" really most Of us only use 1 thing at a time voice or data, but For the few like myself that depend on talking to a person while finding directions or information on the web from out handsets it will be the deciding factor.

      I look forward to buying a verizon iphone and deciding for myself if the little extra bit Of coverage is worth the trade off, in my heart Of hearts I dont think it will but Im going to try.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Consumer reports, as much as people here don't like them, are absolutely right. Verizon is simply cashing in on old technology. The iPhone will lock you into a contract for 20 months, long into the expected rollout of the LTE network. Consumer Reports is very wise to tell you to wait. This isn't about how well the iPhone performs, but rather the dubious timing by Verizon.

      Us Verizon people have waited almost 4 years for the iPhone, what's another 5 months for a proper LTE phone?

      Quote Originally Posted by PM5K View Post
      They're right in saying there's something newer coming around the corner soon, it's just stupid to tell people not to buy something for that reason, there's always something new coming around the corner. I bought an iPhone 4 and I know an iPhone 5 will be out within a year, it is what it is.
      You obviously don't understand why there are Consumer watchdogs out there. They are there to inform people that don't know where to go for these answers. To call people stupid for giving out information is just... well, stupid.

      In the world of technology, sometimes there's something coming down the road that's worth waiting for, and sometimes there isn't. LTE is coming, we all know this. It's wise for people to hold off on updating and locking themselves into a 20 month contract with a whole new network coming down the road.

      Sometimes waiting is smart, and this is one of those times.
    1. matistight@yahoo.com's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post


      Reminiscent of the "Death Grip" saga that plagued Apple's iPhone 4 in the headlines for months, Consumer Reports is once again blasting the smartphone maker of the February launch of Verizon's iPhone. As it turns out, Consumer Reports doesn't see much difference between the Verizon iPhone 4 and its GSM sibling on AT&T. In other words, Consumer Reports doesn't like either.

      Of course, this doesn't mean Apple or Verizon should be worried. The venerable consumer watchdog blasted the iPhone 4 last summer and adamantly opposed any recommendation of the handset. Apple went on to sell millions of devices and enjoy the best fiscal year in company history. So its unlikely that the latest report will do any significant damage to the Verizon iPhone. Still, Consumer Reports wants people to know about the concerns it has.

      Writing for the publication, Paul Reynolds and Mike Gikas warn potential buyers about this "middle aged" product. “It may be quickly replaced by a newer, cooler version more quickly than is customary even for the die-young life expectancy of most smart phones,” Reynolds and Gikas contend. “With Apple likely to ship a new iPhone generation in June or July, as it always has for the iPhone, this is a transitional phone to tide Verizon through until the summer.”

      Perhaps the biggest concern is that the iPhone 4 has joined the CDMA family. “The smart phone market has changed in ways that make the iPhone 4 show its age," the review states. "It works on third-generation data network at a time when carriers—Verizon among them—have launched faster 4G networks and phones that work on them.”

      With only a few compliments to be found in the whole report - like the observation that Verizon, at least, will be “a fine carrier” - the Consumer Reports piece largely finds fault with the iPhone 4 in terms of looking out for consumers in the future of the smartphone world. Essentially, the report says: "why buy this now when Apple or another smartphone maker will release something cooler, faster, and better in the coming months?" Fortunately, most smartphone consumers are already smart enough to know that such is the reality in virtually any contemporary consumer electronics category. For this reason, it's highly unlikely that the prospect of an iPhone 5 will vastly slow purchases of the iPhone 4 during the next six months.

      Consumer Reports
      You also have to remember that this is the same magazine that was too afraid to put the AT&T iPhone 4 in because of the death grip remember? So regardless, CR just wants to ***** about something, but atleast they aren't saying "it doesn't have LTE", because nobody realizes that sure, it doesn't have LTE, but neither do ANY of the Android devices that Verizon sells. It's still in the works. So if you get an amazing phone like a Droid 2 Global(fastest phone processor 1.2 ghz), they're saying you're dumb, it doesn't have LTE. Why don't we just wait for 5G? It'll be out in 2 years won't it?

      People are dumb, and I hate it. Consumer Report is dumb and I hate them more...now where is my android....
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Correct me if I am wrong, but CONSUMER reports is trying to inform the consumer, right? What does this have anything to do with how well the phone sold, really? They aren't saying that Apple and Verizon should/will lose market share here, they are simply stating they don't recommend the product to us as consumers. In some ways, I agree with them. The thing is, I don;t think average iPhone consumer uses their phone for MUCH more than what they mihgt use an iPod touch for... meaning reception and voice issues are not of a huge concern. We have sort of evolved smartphone ownership into data consumption and very little else. Most/many of us are simply "renting to own" our phone in all reality.

      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      Consumer reports, as much as people here don't like them, are absolutely right. Verizon is simply cashing in on old technology. The iPhone will lock you into a contract for 20 months, long into the expected rollout of the LTE network. Consumer Reports is very wise to tell you to wait. This isn't about how well the iPhone performs, but rather the dubious timing by Verizon.

      Us Verizon people have waited almost 4 years for the iPhone, what's another 5 months for a proper LTE phone?



      You obviously don't understand why there are Consumer watchdogs out there. They are there to inform people that don't know where to go for these answers. To call people stupid for giving out information is just... well, stupid.

      In the world of technology, sometimes there's something coming down the road that's worth waiting for, and sometimes there isn't. LTE is coming, we all know this. It's wise for people to hold off on updating and locking themselves into a 20 month contract with a whole new network coming down the road.

      Sometimes waiting is smart, and this is one of those times.
      I think your breath is wasted here (as is mine). The average consumer is uninformed, and doesn't want to be, so long as they are following the trends.
    1. Riviera's Avatar
      Riviera -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I think your breath is wasted here (as is mine). The average consumer is uninformed, and doesn't want to be, so long as they are following the trends.
      No, both of you guys are doing the right thing. There are others in here who are a silent readers, but they will take your opinion into a consideration before buying this "old" technology and get stuck in a contract for next 2 years. Why not wait a few months? June is around the corner.

      Oh btw, Consumer reports did the right thing. Their job is to inform. Before, I was also contemplating to buy iPhone 4, but after I did a long and a thoughtful research (a month of reading some online reviews & talking to friends who already had iPhone 4), I decided that the "antenna-gate" would not be an issue for me. There are ways to fix, such as getting a bumper. Other reason: my old iPhone 3g was damn slow and I couldn't take it anymore. Buy hey ... I was able to sell it for 200 bucks - I got my money back.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      No one cares what you think CR...obviously you were wrong about the iPhone 4, so suck it...
    1. ohthatguyagain's Avatar
      ohthatguyagain -
      Gotta point out to those who think waiting for a better iPhone is worth it:

      the refresh time for an apple mobile device is one year.

      Sorry to say this, but verizon's iPhone 5 (possibly with LTE) is February of 2011. Got verizon? Want an iPhone? Get it now, or wait a year. There's not going to be a June option. I can see an iPhone 6 in June of 2012 with integrated multiple-network capabilities. Apple did buy that multi-sim research company...

      Also, eating my words here, you guys were right about CR trying to protect the consumer... I just think they're doing a crappy job...
    1. coolguy742's Avatar
      coolguy742 -
      Big surprise consumer reports is smashing another apple product, and in the long run there's always going to be a bigger and better model in 1 year to 8 months...
    1. Ruthle$$Turtle's Avatar
      Ruthle$$Turtle -
      ok ok ok.... i get what most of you are saying some as always seem very informed and others are that guy on the sidewalk hammered drunk cursing at ppl lol.. we all love that guy but hey your prob. not going to let him u drive home are you?

      the one thing that i gotta say is verizon congrats! you finally have a good smart phone, but its a shame it cant do voice and data at the same time. att and the ppl the bash them im sorry you have a non perfect service with them as it would be with any carrier... i mean damn its all where you live man we dont even have 3g yet but im not bitchn att has always taken care of me all the way back when it was cingular... they have dropped 100's of my bills and it was soo my fault. but i get it, cause i work for the largest tower company in the world and see the orders for att tmobile etc.

      but really even if verizon gets there butts in gear for there LTE its not going to anywhere but major cities and even than i really dont see it going full boar tell maybe end of nxt yr.

      last thing has apple said hey we are going to release the i5 to both carriers in june??? i havent read it yet... i really think this a feeler for them seeing if verizon can back the smack talk up! att has been overloaded eversince iphone was released but ya gotta say they been holding up there end of the deal or apple would have x'ed them years ago. not saying there great everywhere but what network could take the massive blows att has been with the iphone and keep
    1. endwaro's Avatar
      endwaro -
      K with this talk all i can say is buy an iphone with no contract!!! If you want the new iphone then buy this one with no contract. Later if they come out with the new one wich they will. Buy that one with a contract or if its available no contract. I know its a bit sucky that they are selling a phone that will have a better model soon but hey thats the world now. Who doesnt want money?
      4G in another not is garbage!!! They go around saying the nations fastest 4g blabla they aint got 4g!!! In central america this company tigo. They had 3g then they said they wanted 4g but wasnt posible in the countries network so they went with 3.5g. Here in the us they aint give a crap about you they want there *** crappy contracts to screw you over,

      The phone not making internet and call usage at the same time is not important to me. I never use network data when im talking on the phone. So no problem with me one that. Most people i know dont use data and calling at the same time.
    1. tknapp2's Avatar
      tknapp2 -
      Does anyone still take advice from comsumer reports. Isn't this the same people who "loved" the iPhone4 until the consumers actually got it and complained about antennagate. Then released a statement bashing it. Yeah after that I would trust them. Consumer reports is not the real consumers reporting.
    1. sungod661's Avatar
      sungod661 -
      Consumer reports is not off target with iphone 4. As a phone it is not a great product i.e making and receiving phone calls. The antenna issue is a real thing it rally does exist. This is a major flaw in the phone and even with the bumper it is still far from perfect. What consumer reports does not get is how good it is at everything else. The iphone 4 is unmatched in sheer enjoyment of use.

      I do however applaud CR for taking a stand against a corporate giant such as apple. The easy thing would have been to give it great reviews and say something like " reception isn't a always great". The phone is still a great product but it is undeniable that it has a major flaw. Knowing this i still bought the phone and with this in mind i am happy with my phone but i still think APPLE were very Douche Bag like releasing a phone with a major issue.

      Apple fanboys need to be more objective because apple in my opinion is beginning to act a lot like Microsoft used to and we all know what happened to them.
    1. kingskid07's Avatar
      kingskid07 -
      For many people that aren't familiar with Consumer Reports... they have been pretty unbiased in their reports on products through the years. Their stand on this subject isn't necessarily against what the current product is capable of (or incapable of); it is much rather an attempt to make the consumer aware of what lies ahead in terms of technological advancement that they can make a more informed decision~
    1. GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
      GellBrake'rrrr -
      I Sure as hell wouldn't buy the Verizon iPhone next month if I were still on their network. But then again.... Most people on Verizon have no clue when Apple releases their new phones. So right after they sign into their contract, June will slap them in the face with the iPhone 5.
    1. Snozberries's Avatar
      Snozberries -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
      vantheman169

      At this point purchasing an iPad is not the same as purchasing an iPhone. For starters, the price of a new iPhone will cost you just about the same as before, the iPad will vary based upon technology. The "price discount" that's exclusive to new customers too, is only applied once every year for existing customers, with the iPad your not passing up on a discount. And lastly, a two year commitment is needed for new phone, unlike the iPad that's going to cost 5 times more in the long run...

      For the person who didn't wait for the next gen iPad, It's understandable.. The iPad2 will undoubtedly have better hardware but so what, it's not a big deal unlike these fools jumping on the verizon iphone 4 bandwagon.

      I could swear that Apple discounts the older units fairly soon after a new product launch... hence the iPad could be $100 (if not more) cheaper than the iPad2 weeks after launch.
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      I was, OH WAIT..this is Consumer Reports we're talking about; LMAO!!! Thanks but I'll stick with Cnet's Reviews cause they are More reliable.