• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Wi-Fi Hotspot Support Coming to AT&T iPhones?


    With all eyes fixed on the release of the Verizon iPhone today, speculation is growing as to whether or not the included Wi-Fi hotspot feature will be coming to other carriers as well. The iOS has been capable tethering for some time now, but it has been limited in the US at least, by AT&T and its overly stressed network. Even though AT&T continues to assure customers that they are in fact working to improve their network, customer satisfaction remains quite low.

    Rumors are now circulating that Apple will finally bring the hotspot feature to all GSM iPhones with the next iOS update. The only thing that may block this feature is carrier support. In the US, this means that AT&T will have to let Apple include this feature as part of the operating system and give users the right to use it. AT&T currently charges $20 for the privilege. However, jailbreakers have been able to tether their iPhones for some time now using MyWi, and there’s only a one-time charge of $20. It’s very unlikely that AT&T will change their stance on this and give users something for free.



    With so many other carriers offing phones that can be used as Wi-Fi hotspots, it makes sense for the iPhone to have this feature as well. We’ll have to wait and see what AT&T decides to do, but hopefully they will finally relent, if only to keep customers from migrating to Verizon in February. Now that the iPhone is available on more than one carrier in the US, AT&T will hopefully feel the need to stay competitive with Verizon. Whatever happens in the next couple of months, one thing is certain, competition in the marketplace is always beneficial to the consumer.

    This technology is nothing new. I was tethering as far back as the iPhone 3G, using a hack that I downloaded directly from the internet. It did prevent me from accessing my voicemail, so I finally had to remove it. This just proves that the iPhone has been able to tether almost from the beginning. At long last we’ll finally be able to use our iPhones as hotspots, just as long as AT&T doesn’t muck it up somehow.

    Source: MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Wi-Fi Hotspot Support Coming to AT&T iPhones? started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 45 Comments
    1. Chris3k2's Avatar
      Chris3k2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
      Man, I hope you get banned.
      why should he get banned? He could be using PDAnet which is free or just paid 2.00 for tetherme. I know he said free but he might of meant just cheaper. But the former is definately free until you register.
    1. jdm.accord's Avatar
      jdm.accord -
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris3k2 View Post
      why should he get banned? He could be using PDAnet which is free or just paid 2.00 for tetherme. I know he said free but he might of meant just cheaper. But the former is definately free until you register.
      Not jailbroken here and I use Handylight for tethering. Best $0.99 app ever lol
    1. trojohn39532's Avatar
      trojohn39532 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
      I bumped up my minute plan and ATT took my unlimited data away. They didn't even tell me that by changing my minute plan it would change my data. The rep told me after the fact.
      Or Verizon has the same shocking revelation that AT&T did--if you offer unlimited data on an iPhone (or any other smartphone/tablet device, granted, but the iPhone seems to be the most-blamed culprit) you WILL get some jerks who WILL use 50 GiB a month and totally abuse both the price and congest the network thoroughly--and therefore revert to the no-unlimited tiered structure.
      Then It will finally be time to switch to t-mobile or sprint who aren't afraid of the word unlimited. Besides nobody complains when you talk for 5000 minutes or send 10 million texts a month. You must be an AT&T employee.


      I bumped up my minute plan and ATT took my unlimited data away. They didn't even tell me that by changing my minute plan it would change my data. The rep told me after the fact.
      Damn Bro, you got played. I added a line,switched to a family plan with a second iphone for my wife. My data plan stayed the same but she could only get 2gb's.
    1. Nasty99vette's Avatar
      Nasty99vette -
      I don't see Boost or Sprint ever getting the iPhone.
    1. TristianLyons1022's Avatar
      TristianLyons1022 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
      AT&T needs to give us the hotspot feature for free. I don't think I should have to pay extra to tether my iPad when i'm paying for unlimited data on the iPhone and have been for 3 straight years.
      +1
      same here. I've had every iPhone available so far, and have an unlimited data plan. I do use about 15gb a month through MyWi, but to be courteous to other AT&T users I don't do anything that produces heavy traffic during the day. I just currently live in military barracks where there is no standard Internet available, so this is my only option.
    1. jwil736's Avatar
      jwil736 -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      "However, jailbreakers have been able to tether their iPhones for some time now using MyWi, and there’s only a one-time charge of $20."
      +1 MyWi + data/voice + grandfathered in unlimited data = win!
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
      Man, I hope you get banned.
      Why would you hope he gets banned? Just because he said he got it without paying for it? He didn't ask for a way to get it for free or post how to.
    1. Mookest's Avatar
      Mookest -
      Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
      Why would you hope he gets banned? Just because he said he got it without paying for it? He didn't ask for a way to get it for free or post how to.
      Banned my be a little harsh, But. He rudely posted his beliefs while being ignorant. This discussion is about the WiFi feature. He called us (mywi users) "Not Smart Enough" to get free tether. Most tether users could usb and bluetooth tether for free for a long time. Most of us ARE smart enough. But try to create a hotspot on his method. And a power adjustable, passworded wifi, hotspot to boot. Sure we could have spent a lot of time to use the old ver pdanet but that takes time. $20 is a small price to pay for a great app that can hotspot and on the side enables usb/BT tether. But we all had free usb/bt tether for a long time. So read before you post helps to fight ignorance or someone may suggest to ban. IMO
    1. starfuryt550's Avatar
      starfuryt550 -
      I refuse to pay for the same data plan twice a month. Unless im getting another unlimited (5gb package) to tether (not that i need it) I will never pay for their damn monthly fee for tethering.

      MiWi FTW forever. This is one of the main reasons I will never give up my jailbreak!
    1. Mookest's Avatar
      Mookest -
      OH BTW this was taken from Verizon's website. for reading pleasure.

      "Will any Verizon Wireless apps be available on iPhone?

      iPhone will have the 3G Mobile Hotspot app pre-installed, and it will also have other popular apps available in the market such as VZ Navigator, and V CAST Media Manager. "
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mookest View Post
      Banned my be a little harsh, But. He rudely posted his beliefs while being ignorant. This discussion is about the WiFi feature. He called us (mywi users) "Not Smart Enough" to get free tether. Most tether users could usb and bluetooth tether for free for a long time. Most of us ARE smart enough. But try to create a hotspot on his method. And a power adjustable, passworded wifi, hotspot to boot. Sure we could have spent a lot of time to use the old ver pdanet but that takes time. $20 is a small price to pay for a great app that can hotspot and on the side enables usb/BT tether. But we all had free usb/bt tether for a long time. So read before you post helps to fight ignorance or someone may suggest to ban. IMO
      I understand what your saying. It just seems funny when i see people always saying "I hope you get banned". That's all.
    1. starfuryt550's Avatar
      starfuryt550 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mookest View Post
      OH BTW this was taken from Verizon's website. for reading pleasure.

      "Will any Verizon Wireless apps be available on iPhone?

      iPhone will have the 3G Mobile Hotspot app pre-installed, and it will also have other popular apps available in the market such as VZ Navigator, and V CAST Media Manager. "
      Yea so? VZ nav is poopy and the Vcast is annoying. As will be their pre-installed apps they will charge you for more per month.

      Again, MiWi ftw.
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      Quote Originally Posted by trojohn39532 View Post
      Then It will finally be time to switch to t-mobile or sprint who aren't afraid of the word unlimited. Besides nobody complains when you talk for 5000 minutes or send 10 million texts a month. You must be an AT&T employee.



      Damn Bro, you got played. I added a line,switched to a family plan with a second iphone for my wife. My data plan stayed the same but she could only get 2gb's.
      Yeah.. def got the shaft on that one. I lowered my minutes in my family plan and added a second iphone for my wife too. Data is still the same, still grandfathered in at $30 for unlimited... Just checked, this had me worried for a moment.
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Quote Originally Posted by CX3NT3_713 View Post
      mywi app doesnt work anymore? with the last update via cydia,, is anyone else having this problem too??
      not mine, used it last night, works great actually. have you tried rebooting your phone?
    1. k0mpresd's Avatar
      k0mpresd -
      tethering since iphone 3g? how about pdanet on iphone 2g? tethering via edge. that was whats up.
    1. rickinsav's Avatar
      rickinsav -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
      I bumped up my minute plan and ATT took my unlimited data away. They didn't even tell me that by changing my minute plan it would change my data. The rep told me after the fact.
      Your change in minutes should not affect your data plan - period. If it did, call them back and make it happen. Don't settle for excuses. They can "give it back" & did it for me wihtout losing rollover either.

      You can threaten moving to Verizon for your iPhone.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
      I bumped up my minute plan and ATT took my unlimited data away. They didn't even tell me that by changing my minute plan it would change my data. The rep told me after the fact.
      Your change in minutes should not affect your data plan - period. If it did, call them back and make it happen. Don't settle for excuses. They can "give it back" & did it for me wihtout losing rollover either.

      You can threaten moving to Verizon for your iPhone.
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
      I bumped up my minute plan and ATT took my unlimited data away. They didn't even tell me that by changing my minute plan it would change my data. The rep told me after the fact.
      You should go back and talk to them.
      If you had unlimited data, you should be grandfathered in just like me.
      I even changed phones recently. I had an iphone 3GS and now I have an iphone 4.
      I asked when switching, and they said I would be grandfathered in.
    1. santacruzlocal's Avatar
      santacruzlocal -
      Maybe if enough people ditch AT&T the remaining one's can get mobile hot spot for free <--- Not holding my breath
    1. soul65's Avatar
      soul65 -
      When the Verizon iPhone comes out what is gonna stop the dev team from just copying the hotspot feature over to the ATT iPhone
    1. Mookest's Avatar
      Mookest -
      It's not the hotspot feature that is the thing. It's the unlimited internet that is the thing to have. We have mywi. There is no need to copy. I'm sure a ripped copy of the verizon's one will be floating around the web somewhere though.