• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 3.1.3 App Store Bug Has Been Resolved

    Earlier today, iOS 3.1.3 users were unable to use the App Store.

    Earlier today, it seemed like no one using iOS 3.1.3 could use the App Store to download new applications. Users brought up a big stink about it on Apple's support forums (this link) about the problem where Apple seemed to have blocked iOS 3.1.3 users from being able to install applications from the App Store without updating to a newer firmware. While it appears that users were officially confirmed not to have been, "blocked" per se, they did have connectivity issues and reports have been saying that iOS 3.1.3 users have been having problems downloading new applications as early as December fifteenth and affected both the iPhone and iPod touch handsets.

    Many people ended up doing iTunes restorations back to factory settings but still had no avail trying to have the ability to download applications directly onto the device from the App Store. Of course, some devices are simply not powerful enough to run the features iOS 4 and iOS 5, so this problem infuriated many people who were using older devices. While iOS 4 can be installed on some of the older devices like the iPod touch 2G, it is sluggish and it doesn't have half of the features that it has the iPod touch 3G and newer. Users have preferred to simply stay on iOS 3.1.3 (especially some of the jailbreakers).

    Engadget has confirmed that Apple has fixed the App Store for users on iOS 3.1.3 and they used their very own iPod touch 1G which runs iOS 3.1.3 to back up that claim. Apple was able to fix the problem without even forcing an update on all of the handset users. This was a huge sigh of relief for many especially for the devices that are maxed out at iOS 3.1.3 like the iPod touch 1G users who don't have the option of upgrading to iOS 4 and iOS 5.

    In case you were unaware of this issue, iOS 3.1.3 device users would see a screen like the one below (from Apple's support forums) when attempting to download applications on their handset:



    Now that the issue has been fixed, iOS 3.1.3 users should be able to download applications directly on their handsets again as they did before the problem began. Were you one of the users affected? Share with us in the comments!

    Sources: CNET, Engadget
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 3.1.3 App Store Bug Has Been Resolved started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      iPhone OS 3.1.3
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      It wasn't today it's been at LEAST this week. I complained about it 4 days ago at least in the staff section so I can document it is at least a 4 day old issue. Glad they fixed it, now I can get my apps I have not been able to DL all week.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
      It wasn't today it's been at LEAST this week. I complained about it 4 days ago at least in the staff section so I can document it is at least a 4 day old issue. Glad they fixed it, now I can get my apps I have not been able to DL all week.
      CNET reports this problem back as early as December 15th as I said in the first paragraph
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      Don't care, didn't need it december 15th, needed it 4 days ago. Me me me.......
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
      Don't care, didn't need it december 15th, needed it 4 days ago. Me me me.......
      What didn't you need December 15th?
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      They may have set it to where you CAN attempt to download now, but it still isn't fixed for 3.1.3 because the apps they are listing won't let you download without upgrading FW. I am on 3.1.3 and CANNOT DL paypal, photobucket, or about 5 other apps at all that are not on my phone. So technically they DO require an upgrade to DL apps, they just made it to where it LOOKS like you can DL for 3.1.3.


    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
      They may have set it to where you CAN attempt to download now, but it still isn't fixed for 3.1.3 because the apps they are listing won't let you download without upgrading FW. I am on 3.1.3 and CANNOT DL paypal, photobucket, or about 5 other apps at all that are not on my phone. So technically they DO require an upgrade to DL apps, they just made it to where it LOOKS like you can DL for 3.1.3.


      Well that's something totally different. Those are app requirements. iOS 4 has some resources that iOS 3.1.3 doesn't have.

      This article is about the App Store being down for iOS 3.1.3 users (literally shut down). Look at the picture of the App Store I included above with the T-Mobile iPhone. Aside from that, the iOS 3.1.3 issue has been fixed.
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      Don't need the picture. Been trying to DL for 4 days, got my own pictures. Hahahah.
    1. novadam's Avatar
      novadam -
      so I'll probably get flamed for this but why on earth would someone still be on 3.1.3?
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      CNET reports this problem back as early as December 15th as I said in the first paragraph
      Where?
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
      Don't need the picture. Been trying to DL for 4 days, got my own pictures. Hahahah.
      Uhhh.. okay. Well your problem is a bit irrelevant to this one.

      Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
      Where?
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Those were the days, eh.
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post


      Oh ok gotcha my bad, my apologies.
    1. HomieG35's Avatar
      HomieG35 -
      Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
      so I'll probably get flamed for this but why on earth would someone still be on 3.1.3?
      For a lot, it was the last jailbreakble iOS that ran smoothly on the first gen and 3G iPhones. Yes. People still own these.
    1. zrevai's Avatar
      zrevai -
      Well for those on original iPhone and iPod Touch that's it, they can't run any iOS higher than 3.1.3. As for iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G even though they can install iOS 4, up to a max of 4.2.1, the devices run extremely slow, are not capable of running most of the newer features, no multitasking built in, and several other things. So there isn't much point in updating beyond iOS 3.1.3. I have both an iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G and I can't even use things like AirPlay in Apps because only Apples built-in Apps, (Video/iPod, Safari, and YouTube) support it in iOS 4.2.1 and Apple didn't make AirPlay in Apps available until iOS 4.3.x which these devices aren't able to install. And yes I can jailbreak and add AirPlay in Apps, MultiTasking, and more to iOS 4.2.1 with a few different tweaks but the whole user experience is still so bad there really isn't any point in going past iOS 3.1.3 since most iOS 4 features can be added to a jailbroken 3.1.3 install and runs way better.
      And the problem with Apps requiring a newer iOS version is really an App Developers choice based mostly on what their App requires as far as Apple FrameWorks and which iOS version supports the ones they use, hence it's really up to Devs and Technical requirements as to what the Minimum iOS version required is. Most Devs have at some point since iOS 4 came out set an incorrect Minimum iOS Version and accidentally prevented older devices from installing Apps on iOS 3.x devices.
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
      so I'll probably get flamed for this but why on earth would someone still be on 3.1.3?
      Amen

      Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
      Well for those on original iPhone and iPod Touch that's it, they can't run any iOS higher than 3.1.3. As for iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G even though they can install iOS 4, up to a max of 4.2.1, the devices run extremely slow, are not capable of running most of the newer features, no multitasking built in, and several other things. So there isn't much point in updating beyond iOS 3.1.3. I have both an iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G and I can't even use things like AirPlay in Apps because only Apples built-in Apps, (Video/iPod, Safari, and YouTube) support it in iOS 4.2.1 and Apple didn't make AirPlay in Apps available until iOS 4.3.x which these devices aren't able to install. And yes I can jailbreak and add AirPlay in Apps, MultiTasking, and more to iOS 4.2.1 with a few different tweaks but the whole user experience is still so bad there really isn't any point in going past iOS 3.1.3 since most iOS 4 features can be added to a jailbroken 3.1.3 install and runs way better.
      And the problem with Apps requiring a newer iOS version is really an App Developers choice based mostly on what their App requires as far as Apple FrameWorks and which iOS version supports the ones they use, hence it's really up to Devs and Technical requirements as to what the Minimum iOS version required is. Most Devs have at some point since iOS 4 came out set an incorrect Minimum iOS Version and accidentally prevented older devices from installing Apps on iOS 3.x devices.
      Some iPod 2g's have the multitasking bar/app switcher
    1. MYPHONEI's Avatar
      MYPHONEI -
      Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
      They may have set it to where you CAN attempt to download now, but it still isn't fixed for 3.1.3 because the apps they are listing won't let you download without upgrading FW. I am on 3.1.3 and CANNOT DL paypal, photobucket, or about 5 other apps at all that are not on my phone. So technically they DO require an upgrade to DL apps, they just made it to where it LOOKS like you can DL for 3.1.3.


      This is how APPLE fights Jailbreak, they get the App makers to limit the App to the newer iOS, many times I had a working App in the old iOS and then a New iOS without JB comes out and the App needs to be updated but only with the New iOS.
      And if you are stuck with needing the old App after a restore with old blob and iOS then you are SOL for the old App..........
    1. sfwrtr's Avatar
      sfwrtr -
      Yeah, but what about the 4.3.3 problem?

      In this case, if any app in the update stream requires 5.0, the Update All button causes a message to appear that states "Update Required This app requires iOS 5.0". After that, nothing updates. You have to update each app individually, or find and delete the app that requires 5.0 first, which is hard because not all devs indicate that in their update comments.

      Annoying is you have >100 apps waiting for update like I do.

      (Yes, I've done Apple feedback for the problem.)