• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • [Review] See Your Open Safari Pages In A Multifl0w-Like Way

    This jailbreak tweak lets you have a new style to your open pages.

    Multifl0w is quite possibly one of the most sought-after multitasking addons for iOS in the Cydia store to date. The way that it allows you to multitask is fun and intuitive. Many have hoped that Apple would make multitasking similar to multifl0w, but only clean it up a bit. However, multitasking isn't the only thing that a clever developer who goes by the name of tom-go thought this kind of animation would be good for. Instead, he took this idea way over the top and built a tweak that lets you multitask through your Safari pages much more easily and efficiently than having to page through each of them. You can see in the screenshot above just how it transforms your Mobile Safari work-space into a multitasking efficiency desk with the Web at your fingertips. Tom-go is the developer behind another useful Mobile Safari tweak known as Magnifier for Safari.

    The jailbreak tweak is dubbed GridTab for Safari and what it does is pretty straightforward - it lets you spread out your open Web Pages across a wide view so that you don't need to waste time paging through all of them. This tweak is aimed towards heavy Mobile Safari users because it makes it easier to have more things open at once and lets you multitask among each Web Page more efficiently without wasting any time. The animations are great; they're smooth and inertial and they simply compliment iOS with open arms. You can tell right off of the bat that time was put into this tweak and the time paid off in the end.

    GridTab for Safari includes a settings cell in the Settings application that lets you choose if you want your Mobile Safari grid to be composed of rows and columns of two by two or three by three. From my own preference (to reduce paging) I choose to leave it on three by three so that more pages will fit on the screen. When you open the Settings application, you will see only one thing to tap on; Layout. Tapping the Layout cell will bring you to the Settings for GridTab for Safari:



    Now that I have three by three selected (the first image in this review shows you two by two, obviously) you can see how it dynamically changes with no respring necessary to let you fit the extra row and column of Web Pages in your Web browser than the default two by two settings allowed:



    Also, just in case you didn't know what I meant by paging, here is a screenshot of the default Mobile Safari without GridTab for Safari installed on your iDevice:



    As you can see, the default configuration for Safari is much less convenient for the average Mobile Safari power-users. Having to scroll through each page like your Music's Cover Flow takes time and this jailbreak tweak makes it simple to just tap on what you need when you need it open. One thing to note is that if you fill up your two by two or three by three page on the Mobile Safari page, a new page will be created meaning that you will need to page through grids. So if my setting was to leave it on two by two and I had four pages open in Mobile Safari, a new page would be started that would show one Web Page open and I would have to swipe left to get to my main four by four page again. One way to think of this is the way that iOS stores your applications. When you fill up a page, a new page begins filling up. Unfortunately, there are no folders for Mobile Safari's Web Pages though.

    Name: GridTab for Safari
    Price: $1.50
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: tom-go
    Version: 1.4-4
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

    I was able to talk to tom-go via email communication and ask some questions about the tweak:

    Anthony: What was it that gave you the idea for GridTab for Safari?
    tom-go: One of my friends asked me to make this tweak. He wanted to bring the tab screen of the iPad to the iPhone. I thought it would be handy and worth trying to make.

    Anthony: How do you feel about your jailbreak tweak versus Apple's stock Safari page switcher?
    tom-go: GridTab for Safari is better for heavy Safari users. It is very convenient to be able to see many tabs on one screen, making it possible to find a desired tab quickly; and users can arrange tabs, it is useful too.

    Anthony: What was the hardest part about making GridTab for Safari?
    tom-go: The previous version utilized the iPad's Tab screen. But since iOS 5, the iPad does not have a tab screen any more. So, I had to re-write it completely.... It took more time than I expected, but I made it. =)

    Anthony: Are you planning any future updates for GridTab for Safari?
    tom-go: Unfortunately, no.

    So guys, that's GridTab for Safari for you. It isn't new but it works with iOS 4 and iOS 5 devices. It was cool meeting tom-go and I'm sure that many of you will enjoy using GridTab for Safari if you try it. I highly recommend it. Let us know what you think about GridTab for Safari in the comments.

    Sources: tom-go
    This article was originally published in forum thread: [Review] See Your Open Safari Pages In A Multifl0w-Like Way started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
    1. christoforo's Avatar
      christoforo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

      This jailbreak tweak lets you have a new style to your open pages.

      Multifl0w is quite possibly one of the most sought-after multitasking addons for iOS in the Cydia store to date. The way that it allows you to multitask is fun and intuitive. Many have hoped that Apple would make multitasking similar to multifl0w, but only clean it up a bit. However, multitasking isn't the only thing that a clever developer who goes by the name of tom-go thought this kind of animation would be good for. Instead, he took this idea way over the top and built a tweak that lets you multitask through your Safari pages much more easily and efficiently than having to page through each of them. You can see in the screenshot above just how it transforms your Mobile Safari work-space into a multitasking efficiency desk with the Web at your fingertips. Tom-go is the developer behind another useful Mobile Safari tweak known as Magnifier for Safari.

      The jailbreak tweak is dubbed GridTab for Safari and what it does is pretty straightforward - it lets you spread out your open Web Pages across a wide view so that you don't need to waste time paging through all of them. This tweak is aimed towards heavy Mobile Safari users because it makes it easier to have more things open at once and lets you multitask among each Web Page more efficiently without wasting any time. The animations are great; they're smooth and inertial and they simply compliment iOS with open arms. You can tell right off of the bat that time was put into this tweak and the time paid off in the end.

      GridTab for Safari includes a settings cell in the Settings application that lets you choose if you want your Mobile Safari grid to be composed of rows and columns of two by two or three by three. From my own preference (to reduce paging) I choose to leave it on three by three so that more pages will fit on the screen. When you open the Settings application, you will see only one thing to tap on; Layout. Tapping the Layout cell will bring you to the Settings for GridTab for Safari:



      Now that I have three by three selected (the first image in this review shows you two by two, obviously) you can see how it dynamically changes with no respring necessary to let you fit the extra row and column of Web Pages in your Web browser than the default two by two settings allowed:



      Also, just in case you didn't know what I meant by paging, here is a screenshot of the default Mobile Safari without GridTab for Safari installed on your iDevice:



      As you can see, the default configuration for Safari is much less convenient for the average Mobile Safari power-users. Having to scroll through each page like your Music's Cover Flow takes time and this jailbreak tweak makes it simple to just tap on what you need when you need it open. One thing to note is that if you fill up your two by two or three by three page on the Mobile Safari page, a new page will be created meaning that you will need to page through grids. So if my setting was to leave it on two by two and I had four pages open in Mobile Safari, a new page would be started that would show one Web Page open and I would have to swipe left to get to my main four by four page again. One way to think of this is the way that iOS stores your applications. When you fill up a page, a new page begins filling up. Unfortunately, there are no folders for Mobile Safari's Web Pages though.

      Name: GridTab for Safari
      Price: $1.50
      Repo: BigBoss
      Developer: tom-go
      Version: 1.4-4
      Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

      I was able to talk to tom-go via email communication and ask some questions about the tweak:

      Anthony: What was it that gave you the idea for GridTab for Safari?
      tom-go: One of my friends asked me to make this tweak. He wanted to bring the tab screen of the iPad to the iPhone. I thought it would be handy and worth trying to make.

      Anthony: How do you feel about your jailbreak tweak versus Apple's stock Safari page switcher?
      tom-go: GridTab for Safari is better for heavy Safari users. It is very convenient to be able to see many tabs on one screen, making it possible to find a desired tab quickly; and users can arrange tabs, it is useful too.

      Anthony: What was the hardest part about making GridTab for Safari?
      tom-go: The previous version utilized the iPad's Tab screen. But since iOS 5, the iPad does not have a tab screen any more. So, I had to re-write it completely.... It took more time than I expected, but I made it. =)

      Anthony: Are you planning any future updates for GridTab for Safari?
      tom-go: Unfortunately, no.

      So guys, that's GridTab for Safari for you. It isn't new but it works with iOS 4 and iOS 5 devices. It was cool meeting tom-go and I'm sure that many of you will enjoy using GridTab for Safari if you try it. I highly recommend it. Let us know what you think about GridTab for Safari in the comments.

      Sources: tom-go
      Can you respond to my pms please.
    1. iZangetsu's Avatar
      iZangetsu -
      had it for months. glad I bought it. nuff said
    1. cypherstream's Avatar
      cypherstream -
      I always wondered why the iphone safari didn't show the 3x3 grid like the safari on the ipad. There's plenty of screen resolution now on the retina display.

      Nice tweak!
    1. Adw1's Avatar
      Adw1 -
      No disrespect to the Devs, but this tweak is useless. You can already see open Safari pages in a grid interface on iPad, prior to iOS5 and you can see them in a multifow interface on iPhone still. Given, you can't pick the layout, but it's the same concept. And to have the nerve to charge for this useless waste of memory space is laughable.
    1. GrandMasterB's Avatar
      GrandMasterB -
      Wonderful idea and it's more than welcome & wanted on my device...

      Thanks Tom!!
    1. garaddon's Avatar
      garaddon -
      Is it compatible with FullScreen for Safari?
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adw1 View Post
      No disrespect to the Devs, but this tweak is useless. You can already see open Safari pages in a grid interface on iPad, prior to iOS5 and you can see them in a multifow interface on iPhone still. Given, you can't pick the layout, but it's the same concept. And to have the nerve to charge for this useless waste of memory space is laughable.
      No disrespect but you're an idiot if you can't tell the difference between the two set ups. This is a very usefull app and I have owned it from about the first hour it was available. The entire point of the app is to allow the grid layout the iPad uses on other iDevices. So your argument about "you can already see open safari pages in grid interface on the iPad is retarded..... that's the point of the app nimrod. Ok, never mind, I do mean disrespect.

      Tom-go, kick *** app and thanks for your hard work. Well worth the money spent.
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      One of the best tweaks ever for Safari, I've had it since it was first made available, the upgrade to iOS5 was greatly anticipated and wanted. Kudos!
    1. iZangetsu's Avatar
      iZangetsu -
      Quote Originally Posted by garaddon View Post
      Is it compatible with FullScreen for Safari?
      Yes it is works perfect with it
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adw1 View Post
      No disrespect to the Devs, but this tweak is useless. You can already see open Safari pages in a grid interface on iPad, prior to iOS5 and you can see them in a multifow interface on iPhone still. Given, you can't pick the layout, but it's the same concept. And to have the nerve to charge for this useless waste of memory space is laughable.
      LOL. Are you sure you don't want to reconsider that speech? There is quite a large difference between grids and pages.
    1. hondamarlboro's Avatar
      hondamarlboro -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adw1 View Post
      No disrespect to the Devs, but this tweak is useless. You can already see open Safari pages in a grid interface on iPad, prior to iOS5 and you can see them in a multifow interface on iPhone still. Given, you can't pick the layout, but it's the same concept. And to have the nerve to charge for this useless waste of memory space is laughable.
      基地外はどこにでもいるなぁ。Tom_go, great works as usual and please keep up
    1. R.Mortera's Avatar
      R.Mortera -
      God I wish there was a jailbreak for iPhone 4S..
    1. MIXXXKING WICKED's Avatar
      MIXXXKING WICKED -
      wicked works!!
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      Wrong thread, but soon enough. @Pod2g is rocking the work on this.
      Quote Originally Posted by R.Mortera View Post
      God I wish there was a jailbreak for iPhone 4S..
    1. Sdalston's Avatar
      Sdalston -
      This is a pretty good tweak but the iPad nor the iPhone has enough ram to hold 9 pages, I have two pages open on my iPad & once I tap on the next tab it refreshes!
    1. ChrisG683's Avatar
      ChrisG683 -
      This looks just like GridTab... which has been available forever
    1. GrandMasterB's Avatar
      GrandMasterB -
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG683 View Post
      This looks just like GridTab... which has been available forever
      Next time try reading the article before you post
    1. Adw1's Avatar
      Adw1 -
      Take advantage of that anonymity that the web gives you! My reply was very objective and respectful, unlike your childish retorts. The screen on the iPhone is too small to take advantage of a grid layout (My Opinion). This app is useless to Me for that reason.
    1. DaLsim's Avatar
      DaLsim -
      What about tab+??? It's almost the same...
    1. Z!G's Avatar
      Z!G -
      Well I tried this tweak out and I gotta say I don't really like it. It's not really like Multifl0w in the way it handles how many pages you have open in it's size. With Multifl0w the size of running apps adjust to the screen depending on how many apps you have open.

      With this tweak, even if you have one web page open it only shows that one page really small in the corner instead of adjusting it's sizes to screen likeThe Multifl0w expose cards do.

      So that alone really makes it not worth $1.50 to me.